HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Shark Week

Old
08-10-2014, 12:28 PM
F L Y E R S
Orange & Black

vCash: 500
Shark Week

Starts tonight at 8pm. Awwwwwwwwww yeah!!! They replay a lot of the same shows, but I don't care. I still love it.

Give me some Bulls, Tigers, Great Whites, Makos!!!!

F L Y E R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 12:53 PM
Ser Woof
I Eat Puppies

vCash: 50
I will not shower.

Ser Woof is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2014, 01:23 AM
Osprey

I just watched two hours of Megalodon: The Monster Shark Lives, only to discover that it's a totally fake documentary. I'm not naive, but if a slightly nutty marine biologist wants to chase around a real shark with a slight glandular problem that he thinks is a megalodon, I'm not opposed to watching. That's what I thought that I was watching, like documentaries on Bigfoot and the chupacabra. The people in it may be crazy, lying or, most likely, just confused, but at least they're real people and it's not the producers of the documentary, themselves, that are misleading the viewers. I would've never guessed that Discovery would make and air a completely fake documentary, though, with made-up stories and actors playing invented people throughout.

I got really suspicious when, right afterward, I watched the 2014 update, Megalodon: New Evidence. They were clearly presenting CGI'd video as real shark footage and the acting was even more obvious (and bad). So, I did some googling and learned about the outrage (from scientists and viewers) over the original when it premiered during last year's Shark Week. I wasted a whole evening on fake "science" <sigh>. I might as well have just watched a movie like Sharknado. I'd been losing my respect for Discovery for some time, but this is a new low.

Last edited by Osprey: 08-19-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2014, 02:54 AM
Behn Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I just watched two hours of Megalodon: The Monster Shark Lives, only to discover that it's a totally fake documentary. Apparently, I missed all of the outrage during last year's Shark Week, when it premiered. It did seem somewhat unscientific and suspicious and I watched it with the same skepticism that I'll watch documentaries on bigfoot and chupacabra with, but I would've never guessed that Discovery would make and air a completely faked documentary, with made-up stories and actors playing invented people throughout.

I got really suspicious when I watched the 2014 update, Megalodon: New Evidence. They were clearly presenting CGI'd video as real video and the acting was even more obvious (and bad). So, I did some googling and discovered the truth. I wasted a whole evening on fake "science" <sigh>. I might as well have just watched a movie like Sharknado. I'd been losing my respect for Discovery for some time, but this is a new low.
I hope you are not insinuating that Sharknados are fake.

Behn Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2014, 03:04 AM
Zodiac

convincing video of the megalodon ...

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/sh...perm-whale.htm

that's some scary stuff right there.

Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2014, 03:34 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behn Wilson View Post
I hope you are not insinuating that Sharknados are fake.
I would never...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
convincing video of the megalodon ...

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/sh...perm-whale.htm

that's some scary stuff right there.
Indeed. It's scary just how bad the CGI is. That's one of the videos that I was referring to.

Old
08-17-2014, 05:42 AM
XX
Tippett 2 the Limit

Shame that this happened.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2014, 05:50 AM
fst6
JuhaMetsolaForVezina

Had no idea that even existed since I haven't seen Shark Week the last two years.

That's almost hilarious.

08-17-2014, 08:53 AM
KapG

Getting tired of all these shark attack videos. Just paints sharks in such a negative light.

Every single time I see rob stewarts shark water my heart gets broken.

KapG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2014, 11:05 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 835
Quote:
I just watched two hours of Megalodon: The Monster Shark Lives, only to discover that it's a totally fake documentary. I'm not naive, but if a slightly nutty marine biologist wants to chase around a real shark with a slight glandular problem that he thinks is a megalodon, I'm not opposed to watching. That's what I thought that I was watching, like documentaries on Bigfoot and the chupacabra. The people in it may be crazy, lying or, most likely, just confused, but at least they're real people and the producers aren't trying to mislead the viewers. I would've never guessed that Discovery would make and air a completely fake documentary, though, with made-up stories and actors playing invented people throughout.

I got really suspicious when, right afterward, I watched the 2014 update, Megalodon: New Evidence. They were clearly presenting CGI'd video as real video and the acting was even more obvious (and bad). So, I did some googling and learned about the outrage (from scientists and viewers) over the original when it premiered during last year's Shark Week. I wasted a whole evening on fake "science" <sigh>. I might as well have just watched a movie like Sharknado. I'd been losing my respect for Discovery for some time, but this is a new low.
This, I can't even get excited for Shark Week any more. They even had a Talking Dead style post-game show with a studio host, celebrity guests, and a Twitter correspondent. It was a huge embarrassment.

I'm getting real sick of all this Megalodon/Submarine ******** they've been pushing the last two years. Discovery is clearly ******* this out for easy cash at this point. I haven't even been watching except for one or two of the Air Jaws specials.

Don't even get me started on the Mermaids mockumentary they did.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2014, 11:12 AM
RayP
Registered Dad

Quote:
I just watched two hours of Megalodon: The Monster Shark Lives, only to discover that it's a totally fake documentary. I'm not naive, but if a slightly nutty marine biologist wants to chase around a real shark with a slight glandular problem that he thinks is a megalodon, I'm not opposed to watching. That's what I thought that I was watching, like documentaries on Bigfoot and the chupacabra. The people in it may be crazy, lying or, most likely, just confused, but at least they're real people and the producers aren't trying to mislead the viewers. I would've never guessed that Discovery would make and air a completely fake documentary, though, with made-up stories and actors playing invented people throughout.

I got really suspicious when, right afterward, I watched the 2014 update, Megalodon: New Evidence. They were clearly presenting CGI'd video as real video and the acting was even more obvious (and bad). So, I did some googling and learned about the outrage (from scientists and viewers) over the original when it premiered during last year's Shark Week. I wasted a whole evening on fake "science" <sigh>. I might as well have just watched a movie like Sharknado. I'd been losing my respect for Discovery for some time, but this is a new low.
I didn't believe them for a second while watching it, but it didn't bother me since I thought the guys looking for Megladon were at least actually real and legit with looking for something like that... But now finding out that it was paid actors and ****, well, that kind of pisses me off.

But I don't watch the Discovery channel, like ever, so I guess I really don't care that much.

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2014, 03:55 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
I didn't believe them for a second while watching it, but it didn't bother me since I thought the guys looking for Megladon were at least actually real and legit with looking for something like that... But now finding out that it was paid actors and ****, well, that kind of pisses me off.

But I don't watch the Discovery channel, like ever, so I guess I really don't care that much.
Yes, those are my feelings, too. I didn't believe the central theory, but I assumed that they were at least real people on an honest hunt for something that they thought may exist, and if they were wrong and it was just an oversized shark, that's still interesting.

Instead, it was all fiction. The boat attack that killed all on board that the "documentary" led with and based the next hour and a half on never even happened. It was completely made up to give the documentary that "Blair Witch Project" vibe. The cell phone video that was supposedly recovered after the fact was filmed with actors. Actors are OK in documentaries if you're dramatizing something that actually happened, but this never happened, so it was completely fictitious.

The lead marine biologist, "Colin Drake," is an actor named Darron Meyer:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2378861/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Hilariously, imdb credits his involvement in Megalodon not under the "Acting" section, but under the "Self" section, even though it lists "Colin Drake" as his name in the project. So, he played himself under a different name... yeah, OK.

I stopped expecting real science from Discovery years ago, but I never expected this. From now on, I know that I can't trust any documentary run on Discovery, because you never know what they may've faked.

Old
08-18-2014, 08:47 PM
Trap Jesus

If you missed the audio and visual disclaimers after every single commercial break the entire 2-3 hours you were watching it, that's your own fault. They couldn't have been more clear about what the "documentary" was, and honestly, they shouldn't have needed to be that excessive with the disclaimers.

I thought it was fine for what it was. Considering the resources they had, I thought the first 2 hours were pretty well done, although the last hour was too over-the-top. Regardless of some people tuning in to Shark Week to see authentic depictions of sharks in today's world, I'd guess most people want to see encounters with the biggest and fiercest sharks possible. The Megalodon has been very popular in many different types of media lately, and people love to speculate what would happen if a creature like that was still alive today. What's wrong with Discovery catering to that?

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 12:48 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
If you missed the audio and visual disclaimers after every single commercial break the entire 2-3 hours you were watching it, that's your own fault. They couldn't have been more clear about what the "documentary" was, and honestly, they shouldn't have needed to be that excessive with the disclaimers.
No, I did not miss the disclaimers--I read them all 3 or 4 times and could practically recite them to you--and they could have been a lot clearer. They were purposefully vague and misleading and worded hardly any differently than the disclaimers on legitimate documentaries. For example, they said that "certain events and characters were dramatized." No, what they meant was that all of the events and characters were dramatized (ok, 95%, as they did throw in some real photos of giant squid, coelacanth, whales, shark jaws and so on to make it seem like a legit documentary). Even the use of the word "dramatized" is misleading, because it means that there's some basis for the drama (i.e. the thing being "dramatized"), and, in the case of something portraying itself as a documentary, that means a basis in real events with real people. The fact that megalodon once existed isn't even close to sufficient basis for calling such modern fiction a "dramatization." If Discovery had wanted to be clear and honest, they could've written "The following is fiction. None of the events and characters ever existed." Instead, they wrote a vague disclaimer that they knew that most people would misinterpret and then hid behind it when they received flak.

That doesn't even begin to cover the 1-hour update, in which they presented video with CGI sharks (see the link in Zodiac's post above for the video) and passed it off as real footage. Even if a real guy had seen that happen and Discovery were simply replicating for viewers what he saw, why did the fake scientist freeze-frame it two or three times to analyze and point out important details in the CGI shark? I don't know how anyone can actually defend that, regardless of whatever disclaimers were present.

If all of this had been on some other network, one known for fiction and not real science, I and many others wouldn't mind so much or take it seriously, but we expect more from Discovery. They've been the science channel since cable TV started. They even brag that they're "The World's #1 Nonfiction Media Company." They've been trusted for 30 years and shows like this break that trust.

Last edited by Osprey: 08-19-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old
08-19-2014, 06:23 AM
RayP
Registered Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post

I thought it was fine for what it was. Considering the resources they had, I thought the first 2 hours were pretty well done, although the last hour was too over-the-top. Regardless of some people tuning in to Shark Week to see authentic depictions of sharks in today's world, I'd guess most people want to see encounters with the biggest and fiercest sharks possible. The Megalodon has been very popular in many different types of media lately, and people love to speculate what would happen if a creature like that was still alive today. What's wrong with Discovery catering to that?
At that point I still had cable and a DVR, so most likely fast forwarded thru it. That, and I'd imagine my reaction to that would have been them in reference to what was actually on the screen, but that what they were portraying was still real like say a Civil War reenactment or something... Not that the entire thing was made up ********.

Doubt it would be as popular as it is if most people knew the entire thing was a crock of ****. I know I wouldn't pay a lick of attention to it if I knew the facts going into it. They just went about it in a misleading way, and obviously did it on purpose knowing that as many people wouldn't have tuned in if they said it was fiction from the get-go, and weren't so murky about that.

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 12:11 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 835
The worst part is the god awful CGI that wouldn't be cleared for a 2005 SciFi Channel original movie, yet all the people in the films are taking it dead serious.

It's comical. They didn't even make it a cool or believable mockumentary, they just wasted a ******** of money and time making a final project for some undergrad's media art class.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 02:24 PM
Ozz

Quote:
I just watched two hours of Megalodon: The Monster Shark Lives, only to discover that it's a totally fake documentary. I'm not naive, but if a slightly nutty marine biologist wants to chase around a real shark with a slight glandular problem that he thinks is a megalodon, I'm not opposed to watching. That's what I thought that I was watching, like documentaries on Bigfoot and the chupacabra. The people in it may be crazy, lying or, most likely, just confused, but at least they're real people and it's not the producers of the documentary, themselves, that misleading the viewers. I would've never guessed that Discovery would make and air a completely fake documentary, though, with made-up stories and actors playing invented people throughout.

I got really suspicious when, right afterward, I watched the 2014 update, Megalodon: New Evidence. They were clearly presenting CGI'd video as real shark footage and the acting was even more obvious (and bad). So, I did some googling and learned about the outrage (from scientists and viewers) over the original when it premiered during last year's Shark Week. I wasted a whole evening on fake "science" <sigh>. I might as well have just watched a movie like Sharknado. I'd been losing my respect for Discovery for some time, but this is a new low.
A friend of mine thinks the mermaid ones are real, despite the warnings, etc.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote