HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Finch - Back To Oblivion

Old
08-13-2014, 09:03 AM
Legion03
Rookie User

vCash: 50
Finch - Back To Oblivion

Finch-Back-To-Oblivion.jpg

Is anybody else excited for a new Finch album?

Legion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 12:10 PM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

vCash: 500
I never listened to Finch but I always enjoyed what I heard from them, I'll definitely check this out.

Also, if you're a pop-punk fan - post in this thread!
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1706483

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 12:22 PM
Legion03
Rookie User

I definitely recommend them, What it is to Burn was one of the first C.D.s I bought after hear the title track on Much Music. They're one of the first bands that none of my friends had heard of and I got to recommend them to everyone. One of my favorite all time albums. Their second album is really different, but still very enjoyable. I hated hearing when they broke up and am pumped to hear some new music from them, if I wasn't at work I'd post a link to their new single from the album, Two Guns to the Temple, pretty good track.

I have checked it out, and will definitely be posting there, thanks!

Old
08-13-2014, 12:24 PM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

Yeah, my roommate was obsessed with them in high school and now. He went to their reunion tour a while back and said the atmosphere was just amazing because everyone there were such passionate fans. Definitely gonna leaf through his Finch albums and catch up.

Old
08-13-2014, 12:41 PM
Legion03
Rookie User

Same. I once lent my copy of What it is to Burn to a friend (in exchange for a hoobastank album, terrible) and I got it back with some scratches that made the first track skip a bit, I flipped at him, haha. Would have love to see them live but we don't get many bands like them in Halifax.

Start with their first album to get the fullest appreciation, Three Simple Words is my favorite.

Old
08-13-2014, 12:45 PM
BonMorrison
Sexy Back

Hahaha. Hoobastank. I may have their first two albums. I liked them in high school, I don't tell many people that.

And will do! Thanks!

Old
08-13-2014, 01:05 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

What It Is To Burn is a masterpiece....

Say Hello to Sunshine was a major disappointment IMO (maybe my expectations were too high)

that said, I'll check it out for sure...always willing to give them a chance

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 01:25 PM
Legion03
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post

Say Hello to Sunshine was a major disappointment IMO (maybe my expectations were too high)

I agree, Say Hello to Sunshine is nowhere near What it is to Burn, I was super disappointed at first after wanting to hear new Finch for so long and put the album aside for a while. I did enjoy the atmosphere the album created though and came back to the album and upon listening to it more, it grew on me. I put it in a different category than its predecessor, though.

Old
08-13-2014, 11:45 PM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

Considering how old they were and where the genre was at the time, What It Is To Burn is a classic post-hardcore album IMO. Everything else they did after that was kind of a disappointment though. I don't know how much I'll love this album but I'm still happy to see bands I enjoyed in my youth put out new stuff.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 01:56 AM
snowden
Man is matter

I have a whole 12 song album of demos from 2009 that is titled World of Violence. No idea if any of those are being retooled for the new album but I loved Finch way back when and am curious to hear the new stuff. The song out now isn't all that great.

snowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 06:57 AM
Legion03
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowden View Post
I have a whole 12 song album of demos from 2009 that is titled World of Violence. No idea if any of those are being retooled for the new album but I loved Finch way back when and am curious to hear the new stuff. The song out now isn't all that great.
I can't really find much on World of Violence, are they tracks that are on any of their others albums or EPs? How is it compared to their other material? I'd love to get a track list from you to see if I can find any of it.

Yeah, I only listened to it quickly through the speaker of my phone, on low volume, so I didn't get a great sense of it, but it didn't wow me. Didn't sound too bad though.

Old
08-14-2014, 07:48 AM
snowden
Man is matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion03 View Post
I can't really find much on World of Violence, are they tracks that are on any of their others albums or EPs? How is it compared to their other material? I'd love to get a track list from you to see if I can find any of it.

Yeah, I only listened to it quickly through the speaker of my phone, on low volume, so I didn't get a great sense of it, but it didn't wow me. Didn't sound too bad though.
2 of the tracks I have are on an EP from 2010.

1. Christine
2. Hail to the Fire
3. Lip Readers
4. Glitter
5. The Beverly Chillbillies
6. World of Violence
7. Calamity at Sea
8. Souls for Sale
9. Dead Girl
10. The Decay
11. Remember Me

That's the tracklisting but it's only 11 songs. My numbers were screwed up as is possibly the correct order. It's very raw and unpolished but actually pretty good and I don't know why they didn't release it. It's like Say Hello To Sunshine, definitely not like WIITB. It has less Mike Patton-esque vocals, though. Calamity at Sea is my favorite, some sing-along-y parts. Second half of these demos is better than the first half.

I do like SHTS (bad acronym) but you can't really compare it to WIITB, totally different bands basically.

snowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2014, 08:10 AM
Legion03
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowden View Post
2 of the tracks I have are on an EP from 2010.

1. Christine
2. Hail to the Fire
3. Lip Readers
4. Glitter
5. The Beverly Chillbillies
6. World of Violence
7. Calamity at Sea
8. Souls for Sale
9. Dead Girl
10. The Decay
11. Remember Me

That's the tracklisting but it's only 11 songs. My numbers were screwed up as is possibly the correct order. It's very raw and unpolished but actually pretty good and I don't know why they didn't release it. It's like Say Hello To Sunshine, definitely not like WIITB. It has less Mike Patton-esque vocals, though. Calamity at Sea is my favorite, some sing-along-y parts. Second half of these demos is better than the first half.

I do like SHTS (bad acronym) but you can't really compare it to WIITB, totally different bands basically.
Thanks, I'll try and look those up and hopefully give them a listen.

That's exactly how I look at SHTS (hahahah) just such a big shift in direction that it seems like a completely different band, so I don't really judge it against WIITB.

Old
08-14-2014, 08:57 AM
chuckdobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post

This. That second album is one of the worst follow up albums ever. Ever.

chuckdobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2014, 08:39 PM
Yetiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
This. That second album is one of the worst follow up albums ever. Ever.
I have to disagree. Say Hello To Sunshine is an absolutely amazing album, and I don't like WIITB at all. SHTS just lyrically, emotionally, sonically hit a different level than the hardcore-punkish rock music that was coming out at the time. Those two albums could not be anymore different than each other though.

It looks like their new single is a mix between the two albums, which kinda disappoints me, but hey! new Finch music!

Yetiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 06:16 AM
Billy Crawford

Wow! Hearing about Finch brings me back to my high school days! What I really liked about them (in What it It Is To Burn) was their mix of melodic pop-punk and heavier hardcore sounds. I thought they were gonna make it big after their first album but I never heard about Finch after that awhile. A few years later I listened to one of their new songs, didn't like it much and I went on to forget about them until now. I haven't heard their latest work but I sure hope it's more like WIITB than whatever else Finch had done.

Billy Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote