HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Battlestar Galactica

Old
03-13-2006, 08:47 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro
Like the cybrid's blood curing cancer?
Great point.

Yeah, that was SO predictable. You just knew that as soon a Roslin started suggesting the kid shoud die, it would wind up saving her.

Helo is a wuss. I mean, his kid dies, and he's like, oh well. No biggie. Let's move along. No lingering emotions from a traumatic event.

Majik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2006, 05:25 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Just getting caught up on the last two episodes. What the frack indeed. I've got to listen to RD Moore's podcast. Talk about a left turn.

Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2006, 01:31 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro
Like the cybrid's blood curing cancer?
Totally forgot. That was stupid.

I have no problem with a cure coming from the cylon baby, but they should have had it over a series of episodes.

Ironchef Chris Wok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2006, 06:58 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Yeah...

Just wanted to say that I visited a BSG Fan Forum...

Browed through their "pictures of posters" thread...

SElf-esteem: 15 points boosted

Old
03-19-2006, 10:04 PM
Nifty=HHOF

I think season 3 is going to have to have alot of flashback episodes, according to the BG fanboard Adama is not going to be on the show in season 3. This pretty much takes Galactica out of the picture. I would expect some mixture of resistance (aka insurgency) against the toasters and flashbacks to how this all happened.

Nifty=HHOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2006, 08:08 AM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftyone
I think season 3 is going to have to have alot of flashback episodes, according to the BG fanboard Adama is not going to be on the show in season 3. This pretty much takes Galactica out of the picture. I would expect some mixture of resistance (aka insurgency) against the toasters and flashbacks to how this all happened.
No Adama? Meh

Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2006, 02:32 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

This sounds like suckage. Battlestar Gallactica sans the Gallactica? I don't get it.

Old
04-18-2006, 11:57 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

I just realized what movie Olmos was in:

STAND AND DELIVER

Our Calc teacher made us watch that movie after our AP Exam. There was not one Hispanic kid in our class, so we spoke in terrible and offensive Hispanic accents for like a week.

Good times.

Btw, what's everybody favourite piece of dialogue for Galactica?

Old
04-18-2006, 04:43 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
I just realized what movie Olmos was in:

STAND AND DELIVER

Our Calc teacher made us watch that movie after our AP Exam. There was not one Hispanic kid in our class, so we spoke in terrible and offensive Hispanic accents for like a week.

Good times.

Btw, what's everybody favourite piece of dialogue for Galactica?
Frak! I can't remember.

Old
04-19-2006, 05:48 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Adama: You told me they'd get a fair trial. What kind of a trial could they have possibly had?
Cain: I assure you I heard them out. I weighed their statements against those of the guards and took into account their service records and commendations.. It was a difficult decision Commander but I dare say it was a fair one.
Adama: they have the right to have their case heard by a jury
Cain: I am a flag officer on detached service during a time of war. Regulations give me broad authority in this matter.
Adama (off phone): Launch the fighters (on phone) You can quote me whatever regulation you'd like, I'm not going to let you execute my men.
Cain: I highly suggest you reconsider that statement commander.
Fisk to Cain: Admiral Galactica is launching Vipers and a Raptor
Cain: Commander, WHY are you launching Vipers?
Adama: Please arrange for Chief Tyrol and Lieutenant Agathon to be handed over to my marines as soon as they arrive
Cain: I don't take orders from you
Adama: Call it whatever you like. I'm getting my men.
Cain: You are making SUCH a mistake

Adama: I'm getting my men.

Old
04-19-2006, 10:23 AM
CHareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
Adama: You told me they'd get a fair trial. What kind of a trial could they have possibly had?
Cain: I assure you I heard them out. I weighed their statements against those of the guards and took into account their service records and commendations.. It was a difficult decision Commander but I dare say it was a fair one.
Adama: they have the right to have their case heard by a jury
Cain: I am a flag officer on detached service during a time of war. Regulations give me broad authority in this matter.
Adama (off phone): Launch the fighters (on phone) You can quote me whatever regulation you'd like, I'm not going to let you execute my men.
Cain: I highly suggest you reconsider that statement commander.
Fisk to Cain: Admiral Galactica is launching Vipers and a Raptor
Cain: Commander, WHY are you launching Vipers?
Adama: Please arrange for Chief Tyrol and Lieutenant Agathon to be handed over to my marines as soon as they arrive
Cain: I don't take orders from you
Adama: Call it whatever you like. I'm getting my men.
Cain: You are making SUCH a mistake

Adama: I'm getting my men.
I don't think this portion of dialogue is as good as Olmos' acting during the sequence. Very intense. Ro Laren's acting ... meh, not so much.

CHareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 11:13 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon
I don't think this portion of dialogue is as good as Olmos' acting during the sequence. Very intense. Ro Laren's acting ... meh, not so much.
When he slams down the phone you just knew the shiite was going to hit the fan.

I loved that little tidbit before that... "I want a Marine Strike Team in a Raptor in Five Minutes"... his facial expression... man. Intense

Old
07-27-2006, 06:17 PM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

I was just on the BSG set for a tour... my friend who works there knows a producer...

The set is REALLY cool. EVERYTHING in the CIC works, the stuff written on the paper isn't gibberish, all the knobs and dials work, all the phones are cool... it's really well done.

I also saw the hanger deck.

They were shooting a scene from Season III.. Iwasn't sure what was going on, but the actors/actresses aren't big in real life. We didn't talk to any of the actors, but I saw them walking around... Olmos is smaller than I am, and Tricia Helfer is really tiny. Michael Hogan looks like a guy you wouldn't want to mess with though... and he smokes in real life.

So that was that.

Old
07-27-2006, 07:08 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

You steal anything?

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 11:29 PM
bigdoubled

I look forward to season 3 in october. I wished it started when stargate started in july.

bigdoubled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 11:31 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdoubled View Post
I look forward to season 3 in october. I wished it started when stargate started in july.
Seriously, i loved Tivoing all 3 eps on friday night (Sg1, atlantis, BSG) and watching them during the week. Just aint the same with the BSG to finish it off now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok View Post
I was just on the BSG set for a tour... my friend who works there knows a producer...

The set is REALLY cool. EVERYTHING in the CIC works, the stuff written on the paper isn't gibberish, all the knobs and dials work, all the phones are cool... it's really well done.

I also saw the hanger deck.

They were shooting a scene from Season III.. Iwasn't sure what was going on, but the actors/actresses aren't big in real life. We didn't talk to any of the actors, but I saw them walking around... Olmos is smaller than I am, and Tricia Helfer is really tiny. Michael Hogan looks like a guy you wouldn't want to mess with though... and he smokes in real life.

So that was that.
Wow, thats awesome. Do they do the filming in Vancouver like they do for stargate? BTW take any pics?

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 12:03 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
You steal anything?
I stole a piece of the cut-corner paper from the CIC

It's a damage report thing lol

Old
07-28-2006, 12:07 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Damn it, I want a ****ing set tour.

God, I am such a fanboy over this show.

Favorite dialogue:

Dean Stockwell Cylon I: Would you mind telling me what's going on?! I'm not a frakking Cylon, I'm not-
Dean Stockwell Cylon II: *awkward look*
Dean Stockwell Cylon I: Oh...well...okay then
Dean Stockwell Cylon II: Sorry to bust up your day, brother.

Burke's Evil Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 10:15 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I think Roslin makes the show.

Mary McDonnell is a terrific actor and she conveys a lot of believability into the concept.

Like most sci-fi, it needs to be "sold" by someone who puts in such a dedicated performance that it makes you suspend your disbelief.

Past actors like that include Alec Guinness in Star Wars, Laurence Fishburne in the Matrix, Patrick Stewart in TNG, etc.

If you want a similar example who doesn't pull it off, check out Torri Higginson as Dr. Weir on Stargate Atlantis (which itself is only worth watching for Dr. McKay).

I love the action sequences and the flawed humanity of most of the characters (i.e. Starbuck's guns-blazin' failed "rescue" of the hostages) but most of the characters are stock (brilliant egotistical scientist, cocky pilot, reserved big mechanic dude, ******* officer, etc.) and I don't find that she is.

Everytime you think you've got her pegged, she pulls out a rather ruthless political decision. Then she does something remarkably compassionate. And the acting is good throughout.

Impressive. Edward James Olmos does a good job of conveying emotions under tight rein, but sometimes he ends up just looking constipated for most of the episode.

BTW, I love the doctor. It's that guy from Danger Bay!! Who's with me? DANGER BAY RAWKS! (there was an episode where a young Jason Priestley shot a manatee or a ray or something and got in trouble. bad Jason Priestley).

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
I love the action sequences and the flawed humanity of most of the characters (i.e. Starbuck's guns-blazin' failed "rescue" of the hostages) but most of the characters are stock (brilliant egotistical scientist, cocky pilot, reserved big mechanic dude, ******* officer, etc.) and I don't find that she is.
The brilliant egotitiscal scientist is insane, the "cocky pilot" is a huge self-destructing drunk, her best friend has a poor relationship with his father and has no balls, the reserved big mechanic dude is into poor white trash women who he can beat, and the drunk officer, well, is just the mandatory drunk.

Old
07-28-2006, 01:43 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
The brilliant egotitiscal scientist is insane, the "cocky pilot" is a huge self-destructing drunk, her best friend has a poor relationship with his father and has no balls, the reserved big mechanic dude is into poor white trash women who he can beat, and the drunk officer, well, is just the mandatory drunk.
Like I said, flawed.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2006, 02:27 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Sliteye redeemed.

The guy playing "Chuckles" aka "Loser Asian Guy That Dies in 3 Episodes" aka "Sliteye" as I call him is in SNAKES on a PLANE as a kickass kick boxer. He's totally badass and saves this White woman who quite frankly deserved to die. And he LIVES.

Old
08-25-2006, 09:02 AM
CHareth

Quote:
Sliteye redeemed.

The guy playing "Chuckles" aka "Loser Asian Guy That Dies in 3 Episodes" aka "Sliteye" as I call him is in SNAKES on a PLANE as a kickass kick boxer. He's totally badass and saves this White woman who quite frankly deserved to die. And he LIVES.
Asian guy as a kick boxer? Even more of a stereotype insult than a not-good-enough pilot named "Chuckles" if you ask me. Maybe he'll be a gang member in the next Lethal Weapon 12.

So Season III doesn't start until October huh? Bummer.

CHareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2006, 01:07 PM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Carbo Diet View Post
Asian guy as a kick boxer? Even more of a stereotype insult than a not-good-enough pilot named "Chuckles" if you ask me. Maybe he'll be a gang member in the next Lethal Weapon 12.

So Season III doesn't start until October huh? Bummer.
He LIVED. I can't ask for anything more.

Old
09-10-2006, 06:04 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
I just finished my Season 2.0 DVDs. It's going to be the longest 9 days of my life from now until 9/19 when Season 2.5 is released. I'll burn through that in a few days and then watch some of the webisodes on scifi.com.

I might even have to break out of my usual TV on DVD habit and watch Season 3 as it airs. Can't get enough of this show. Sci-Fi done right, I wish there was something similar to it. Anyone watch Stargate SG-1 or Atlantis? Those seem to be my best bet if I want to get into some other Sci-Fi. I tried watching SG-1 a long time ago and just wasn't into it, but I'm willing to give it another shot.

I also wish Firefly was still around. Son of a...

Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote