HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wild Inks Michael Keränen To One-Year Deal

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-05-2014, 04:28 PM
  #26
TZM
Par too easy
 
TZM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kerava
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
Not surprised he won't go to Iowa. He gets paid better in Finland than in the AHL.

We'll see what happens but personally I think him making the team is a long shot. I also question his attitude after his behavior with the NT this spring.
Nothing wrong turning down on a C level tournament. Yeah, he could've showcased himself there but things could've went other way, too. He could've had a terrible tournament with bad players around and never get an NHL deal. Agreed that it's a long shot he makes the team but let's hope he surprises us. It's a fair deal for both parties.

TZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 04:33 PM
  #27
rduck1
Registered User
 
rduck1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 601
vCash: 500
If the "back to Finland clause" is an actual thing this is a very odd signing by the Wild since it's a one year deal. It's basically a tryout except they'll be paying for the whole season, unless they get RFA rights out of it or something. It's most likely just something they made up to appease the HIFK fans though. Wouldn't be surprised if he 'makes the team' out of camp and then gets sent to Iowa after a couple of games.

rduck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 04:36 PM
  #28
Periwinkle
Registered User
 
Periwinkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenon View Post
It is the national team. He was one of the best forwards in the training camp, but was not selected to the team. When there were some denials due to injuries (true or false), he was offered a reserve player place in the team, but Michael said no. He stated that instead of eating popcorn in Minsk for a couple of weeks he will focus on physical training to be ready for NHL.
*His agent stated. Keränen never commented on it.

I personally didn't fault his behaviour at all. Him being not selected was BS to begin with, and then one day after being cut being offered a reserve spot was just jerking him around anyway. I had absolutely no issue with his decision.

I am surprised about the return to Finland option. Most players do need to pay their dues in AHL and one would think a player is willing to sacrifice one year of earnings for the greater good. But, his career, his decision.

Periwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 04:42 PM
  #29
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,273
vCash: 500
The whole NT debacle could stem from this deal being in the making already. Perhaps the rather cheap-sounding explanation actually was true. He knew at that time that he was heading to a training camp on fall, so he decided to start bulking up immediately since he was not promised any guaranteed ice time.

But even if it was simply him telling the out-of-touch coach to stick it where the sun don't shine, I've absolutely no issue with it either.

As a side note, it'd be rather funny if he and Teuvo Teräväinen managed to make their respective rosters at the end of camp and stay up as well. It'd certainly make said coach look pretty silly.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 04:44 PM
  #30
Tuomaz
Registered User
 
Tuomaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Cape Verde
Posts: 5,765
vCash: 500
Would be nice if he played in Iowa. Especially if we sign UFA winger this summer I don't see Keranen making the team but having him and Zucker as a call ups would be tremendous. We all know that at some point the injuries will hit us like always.

Tuomaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 04:49 PM
  #31
ThatGuy22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rduck1 View Post
If the "back to Finland clause" is an actual thing this is a very odd signing by the Wild since it's a one year deal. It's basically a tryout except they'll be paying for the whole season, unless they get RFA rights out of it or something. It's most likely just something they made up to appease the HIFK fans though. Wouldn't be surprised if he 'makes the team' out of camp and then gets sent to Iowa after a couple of games.
He's signing an ELC. So the Wild should hold his RFA rights until 27 as long as they keep qualifying an offer.

ThatGuy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 04:52 PM
  #32
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenon View Post
It is the national team. He was one of the best forwards in the training camp, but was not selected to the team. When there were some denials due to injuries (true or false), he was offered a reserve player place in the team, but Michael said no. He stated that instead of eating popcorn in Minsk for a couple of weeks he will focus on physical training to be ready for NHL.
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Foxlockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 04:52 PM
  #33
Tuomaz
Registered User
 
Tuomaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Cape Verde
Posts: 5,765
vCash: 500
By the way how is he on penalty shots? If he has Datsyuk like hands i would expect quite good or is he one of those who for some reason can't score like Gaborik for example?

Tuomaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 04:53 PM
  #34
ThatGuy22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
*His agent stated. Keränen never commented on it.

I personally didn't fault his behaviour at all. Him being not selected was BS to begin with, and then one day after being cut being offered a reserve spot was just jerking him around anyway. I had absolutely no issue with his decision.

I am surprised about the return to Finland option. Most players do need to pay their dues in AHL and one would think a player is willing to sacrifice one year of earnings for the greater good. But, his career, his decision.
Could be a business decision. He could play out his ELC year in Finland if he doesn't make the NHL making better money than in the AHL, and sign a two way deal as an RFA next year that would pay him closer to what he would make in Finland in the AHL.

ThatGuy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 04:54 PM
  #35
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem
 
this providence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 9,889
vCash: 500
Sounds like a decent signing in principle, but at this stage I just can't see him making the Wild roster out of camp unless he can come in and showcase himself as someone who can really hound the puck in a bottom six role. More or less do what Haula did.

__________________

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 04:57 PM
  #36
ThatGuy22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Sounds like a decent signing in principle, but at this stage I just can't see him making the Wild roster out of camp unless he can come in and showcase himself as someone who can really hound the puck in a bottom six role. More or less do what Haula did.
I think he's got a decent chance at making the team, atleast out of camp. Seems like there is going to be a 3rd/4th line open(espiecially if the Wild don't sign Vanek or a different top 6 type winger).

Seems like being promised NHL or Finland, and his age, would give him an inside track over guys like Zucker and Bulmer who would can go to Iowa with ease.

They could easily give him 5 to 10 games to see how he is working out and send him to IFK if it doesn't.

ThatGuy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 05:02 PM
  #37
grN1g
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 1,570
vCash: 500
So how does this work? if he does go back to IFK i am assuming we are able to keep & choose to retain his rights after his season is over?

i'd imagine if he doesn't want to go to Iowa, he will want a 1-way?

grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 05:03 PM
  #38
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem
 
this providence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 9,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy22 View Post
I think he's got a decent chance at making the team, atleast out of camp. Seems like there is going to be a 3rd/4th line open(espiecially if the Wild don't sign Vanek or a different top 6 type winger).

Seems like being promised NHL or Finland, and his age, would give him an inside track over guys like Zucker and Bulmer who would can go to Iowa with ease.

They could easily give him 5 to 10 games to see how he is working out and send him to IFK if it doesn't.
I can't say anything for the guy because the only time I've ever seen him play was via that short youtube video, but that's a tough road to climb, IMO.

He's going to have to have the skating, aggressiveness, and ability to learn a completely foreign defensive scheme in short order to make the roster in that type of spot (bottom six wing). All the while at the NHL level. I wouldn't hold my breathe.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 05:16 PM
  #39
ThatGuy22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
I can't say anything for the guy because the only time I've ever seen him play was via that short youtube video, but that's a tough road to climb, IMO.

He's going to have to have the skating, aggressiveness, and ability to learn a completely foreign defensive scheme in short order to make the roster in that type of spot (bottom six wing). All the while at the NHL level. I wouldn't hold my breathe.
Hopefully Granlund can get him upto speed when they are training together(as was posted).

SM-Liiga is as good, if not better than the AHL. And the guy was PPG there. I don't think its out of the question this move was made to ensure they had a reason to keep Zucker developing in the AHL.

They could also keep him as 13th forward for a bit while he adjusts, allowing him to practice while getting in a game every 3.

More I think about it, the more I bet he does at least break camp with the Wild unless he looks completely lost. Whether he sticks all season will depend on his adjustment.

ThatGuy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 05:24 PM
  #40
Nharris31
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grN1g View Post
So how does this work? if he does go back to IFK i am assuming we are able to keep & choose to retain his rights after his season is over?

i'd imagine if he doesn't want to go to Iowa, he will want a 1-way?
Russo said that arrangement is untrue?

Nharris31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 05:39 PM
  #41
ThatGuy22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,023
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nharris31 View Post
Russo said that arrangement is untrue?
Where? His blog states

Quote:
He'll have a chance to make the team next season. If he doesn't make the team, he'll likely be loaned back to HIFK rather than play in Iowa

ThatGuy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 05:40 PM
  #42
Lennu32
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grN1g View Post
So how does this work? if he does go back to IFK i am assuming we are able to keep & choose to retain his rights after his season is over?
I think it works just like Teräväinen's deal with CHI. He went to NA after his team was eliminated in FEL. FEL ends sooner than NHL, even with play offs.


Last edited by Lennu32: 06-05-2014 at 05:42 PM. Reason: typo
Lennu32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 06:26 PM
  #43
Nharris31
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy22 View Post
Where? His blog states
On twitter idk unless I'm reading it wrong.

Nharris31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 06:35 PM
  #44
agunderman11
#CaptainAmerica
 
agunderman11's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Naples, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 93
vCash: 500
I heard about this guy on one of the speculation forums and have been interested in him ever since. I'm really thrilled they signed him!

agunderman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 06:56 PM
  #45
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 22,520
vCash: 50
depth skill. really nothing to hate about this signing.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 07:51 PM
  #46
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 14,284
vCash: 500
Cool, let him put on some pounds while playing in Iowa and see what he has in a year or two.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 10:27 PM
  #47
keppel146
We love Bacon
 
keppel146's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: MinneSOta
Country: United States
Posts: 1,274
vCash: 500
So does he play first line minutes with Phillips this next year? Phillips and Keranen duo? We got the shooter and setup man

keppel146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 10:27 PM
  #48
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?
 
Northland Wild Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 8,044
vCash: 500
Another Finn?

They'll have to start direct flights between Minneapolis and Helsinki pretty soon.

It's a good depth signing, and from the numbers that he's put up so far I'm eager to see what he can do in North America.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 10:32 PM
  #49
Jussi
No strings on me
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 45,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nharris31 View Post
On twitter idk unless I'm reading it wrong.
Miika Arponen ‏@MiikaArponen 3 t
@Russostrib Hah! Keränen's Finnish team IFK just announced that he will be returning to Finland if he doesn't make the NHL roster from camp.

Michael Russo @Russostrib
@MiikaArponen wild just said that arrangement is untrue

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 11:21 PM
  #50
Gaps
Registered User
 
Gaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZM View Post
Nothing wrong turning down on a C level tournament. Yeah, he could've showcased himself there but things could've went other way, too. He could've had a terrible tournament with bad players around and never get an NHL deal. Agreed that it's a long shot he makes the team but let's hope he surprises us. It's a fair deal for both parties.
I think players with no pedigree whatsoever wanting to dictate which role they get is always concerning. If he had conditions like that in the first place, he should have declined earlier. It showed he wasn't willing to work to get to a better spot and make a career for himself there. Do you think Granlund laid out conditions like that in 2011? No, he was put to the 3rd line, but got more ice time through his play. They didn't tell Keränen he would be eating popcorn, they just didn't promise him a guaranteed spot in the lineup.

Him going back to Finland as HIFK announced is on line with his previous behavior. I know the Wild said it's not true but I doubt HIFK made it up either.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.