Eastern Europe Ukraine, Belarus, Latvia, Lithuania, Kazakhstan

2011 World Championships

Closed Thread

Old
09-02-2005, 10:03 AM
Irate-Pirate

vCash: 500
2011 World Championships

Currrently there are five countries bidding to host the 2011 WC. They are Finland, Sweden, Slovakia, Hungary and BELARUS!!
SVK, HUN and BLR have never hosted the games, and i don't see Hungary having much chance as they are not even in the top division.
SVK, BLR and SWE were all involved in the 2010 bid which was won by Germany. I think Sweden pulled out early - probably some deal (we pull out this year and you vote for us next year!!) was struck behind the scenes...
Personally i would like Belarus to win it, but if not them then Slovakia!

Old
09-02-2005, 12:10 PM
12# Peter Bondra

Slovakia also pulled out of the 2010 bidding and Germany was the only country in the end to be a candidate.

I think Sweden will win it.

Old
09-02-2005, 12:49 PM
znarok

I think Sweden won't take it because they already hosted the championships many times. The same with Finland. Since Slovakia never hosted it before, probably IIHF will let handle it the Slovakians!

No chances for Hungary!

Belarus is a good candidate, regarding hockey fans in Belarus. But since it's all about politics, probably they wouldn't take a risk to give it to "pro-communism" governors to handle it.

Old
09-02-2005, 12:58 PM
Irate-Pirate

OK, 2011 is a long time in the future, but the current president of BLR is a big hockey fan (he plays!) and has been responsible for the construction of various ice-palaces around the country. I read a while ago that once the library has been finished being built in Minsk, they will build a big,modern arena! Of course maybe he wont still be president in 2011, but the arena may already be built.....so to hell with politics!!

Old
09-02-2005, 04:11 PM
12# Peter Bondra

Slovakia's biggest rink is round 6250.

Enough said.

Like, Id Like it to be here but I dont know WHERE it could be.

Old
09-02-2005, 08:53 PM
znarok

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12# Peter Bondra
Slovakia's biggest rink is round 6250.

Enough said.

Like, Id Like it to be here but I dont know WHERE it could be.
Don't worry...
The same situation was in Riga. By the time that was decided to give the WC to Riga there was only one old-old-old ice castle for 3,500 seats + 1,500 stand-ups. And still, IIHF gave it to Latvia due to their hockey fans. Therefore, it doesn't matter what they have in Slovakia right now. The main thing is that Slovakians are willing to host the WC, and they deserved it big time!

Old
09-03-2005, 02:39 AM
Mihai

Send a message via ICQ to Mihai Send a message via Yahoo to Mihai
Well why shouldnt ''small'' countries get WC events ? They could and it helps hockey grow.

Old
09-03-2005, 02:45 AM
12# Peter Bondra

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimbo
Well why shouldnt ''small'' countries get WC events ? They could and it helps hockey grow.
Hockey is big here anyway so it wouldnt really help it grow but it would help.

Old
09-03-2005, 02:46 AM
12# Peter Bondra

Quote:
Originally Posted by znarok
Don't worry...
The same situation was in Riga. By the time that was decided to give the WC to Riga there was only one old-old-old ice castle for 3,500 seats + 1,500 stand-ups. And still, IIHF gave it to Latvia due to their hockey fans. Therefore, it doesn't matter what they have in Slovakia right now. The main thing is that Slovakians are willing to host the WC, and they deserved it big time!
Well, there has only been 1 ice hockey rink built in the last 5-10 years and that was built by Gaborik in Trencin (MG Ring) and thats mostly a pracitce facility for juniors.

We will see after the 2006 WC's who gets the WC's.

Old
09-03-2005, 01:41 PM
Bumjoo Wang*

i don't think belorussia has any chance.. thankfully..

my guess is that slovakia should get it.. after all they have done well in wc and the iihf always support plans to build new arenas..

Old
09-03-2005, 04:29 PM
12# Peter Bondra

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar1984

my guess is that slovakia should get it.. after all they have done well in wc and the iihf always support plans to build new arenas..
The problem is, the government doesnt care about sports here. Like, one thing needed is the support of the government for the project (to build stadiums etc) and the current hasnt given one (I think), which seriously diminishes our chances.

Old
09-04-2005, 05:01 AM
Irate-Pirate

Quote:

Belorussia? Is that Belarus you are talking about? They certainly would make a better job than the Latvians are doing. All hotels have doubled their prices when the games are on, ticket prices 4-5 times higher than normal, arena still being built.....wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing bankrupts the Latvian Federation!!!

Old
09-04-2005, 07:34 AM
Bumjoo Wang*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irate-Pirate
Belorussia? Is that Belarus you are talking about?
sorry about that..

Quote:
They certainly would make a better job than the Latvians are doing. All hotels have doubled their prices when the games are on, ticket prices 4-5 times higher than normal, arena still being built.....wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing bankrupts the Latvian Federation!!!
have to admit, that things weren't goin to well here (i think up to three months ago most of latvia wasn't sure that the wc will happen here at all).. I don't really know about the hotels, but the ticket prices really are ridiculous - still most of the games will be sold out in the end anyway..

still, I'm not too sure they would give the rights for the 2011 to a neigbour country to latvia + as I said, slovaks have done well in wc lately, and they sure love their ice hockey there..

Old
09-04-2005, 12:18 PM
12# Peter Bondra

We do love hockey but it needs more than that to have a WC here.

Old
09-04-2005, 11:01 PM
Bumjoo Wang*

hungary then??

Why are they (slovakia) running for it if they don't have (and don't want to have) the necessary resources??

Old
09-05-2005, 04:50 AM
Mihai

Send a message via ICQ to Mihai Send a message via Yahoo to Mihai
Quote:
hungary then??

Why are they (slovakia) running for it if they don't have (and don't want to have) the necessary resources??

Well Hungary have a running chance of doing it since they've been doing the Continental Cup final for 2 years in a row (last season & this season) and also they are doing a joint bid for some football euro. So i dont why the hungarians should be cut off a potential list.

Old
09-05-2005, 05:37 AM
12# Peter Bondra

Quote:
hungary then??

The Ice Hockey Federation wants it but the government doesnt want to back them up so its a weird situation.

Old
09-05-2005, 10:00 AM
Irate-Pirate

I think if they decide to give it to Sweden or Finland then they are almost saying that it is a "closed shop".
The problem with Hungary is that if they are not in the top division then it creates all kind of problems.
Belarus would be able to do it with full government and federation backing, but the political situation counts against them.
"Peter Bondra" has already explained the problems in Slovakia......

Old
09-05-2005, 11:19 AM
12# Peter Bondra

Quote:
I think if they decide to give it to Sweden or Finland then they are almost saying that it is a "closed shop".
The problem with Hungary is that if they are not in the top division then it creates all kind of problems.
Belarus would be able to do it with full government and federation backing, but the political situation counts against them.
"Peter Bondra" has already explained the problems in Slovakia......
The last time our Ice Hockey Fed. talked with the government from my knowledge was in May so there really isnt no movement done in that area.

But in general, the government doesnt really care for any sport now (soccer, tenis, hockey etc) so its a general thing here, not just for hockey.

We dont even have a ministry of sport like for example France has.

Old
09-05-2005, 10:53 PM
Bumjoo Wang*

so heres how it seems

finland - have held a wc recently enough - don't know if another one would really change the hockey situation in the country (i believe that's one of the things iihf are looking for)

sweden - same as above

hungary - just can't see it happening - maybe some lower tournaments, but not the wc

belarus - have the government backing and the resources, but as it was said, the political situation speaks against them

slovakia - would be a great choice, but if they don't have the backing from the government, probably wouldn't be able to pull it off

.. so in the end, it actually seems, that belarus could be pretty much the only option - and to be honest, the people in there love ice hockey and shouldn't suffer just because they don't get to vote against their president..

i still think it will go down to belarus against slovakia.. not too sure who will get it though..

Old
09-06-2005, 09:56 AM
Irate-Pirate

Yes, but this is the IIHF we are talking about, so im going for Finland or Sweden to win it! Money,money,money!

Another problem for Belarus is the ticket prices. League games cost about $1-50. At a rough guess, the price for a ticket to the WC in Latvia is about 30-50 times that much per game (depending on your seat)....so could the average fan in Belarus afford it???

Old
09-06-2005, 11:40 AM
12# Peter Bondra

Ticket prices have, are and always wil be very high during the WC's. People will somehow find a way to go to a game or two though.

Old
09-06-2005, 04:29 PM
Bumjoo Wang*

exactly - even though the tickets are seriously overpriced, all games with latvian national team were sold out in an hour or so.. these f***ers know that people will find their ways to afford the tickets..

Old
09-06-2005, 04:31 PM
znarok

Quote:
Yes, but this is the IIHF we are talking about, so im going for Finland or Sweden to win it! Money,money,money!

Another problem for Belarus is the ticket prices. League games cost about $1-50. At a rough guess, the price for a ticket to the WC in Latvia is about 30-50 times that much per game (depending on your seat)....so could the average fan in Belarus afford it???
Don't worry about ticket prices. I believe IIHF is the one who sets the prices for the champioships, not a country.

Regarding Slovakia, I think as soon as they get a host, the government will turn its face towards hockey. Pretty much it was the same in Latvia. Government didn't care about hockey (and actually, they don't even now), but after they reached dealines building hockey arena, they started moving. So, most likely, Slovakia will get it. As a matter of a fact, we can't say that they don't care about hockey at all because someone in Slovaks federation pulled a triger to get in the vote for the host.

Old
09-06-2005, 04:34 PM
znarok

Quote:
exactly - even though the tickets are seriously overpriced, all games with latvian national team were sold out in an hour or so.. these f***ers know that people will find their ways to afford the tickets..
Absolutely agree!

These matter of "demand and supply" economics rules.

Is that for real, all tickets with Latvia gone?

Closed Thread