HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

What if 1993?

Closed Thread

Old
09-09-2005, 09:11 AM
NyQuil
Neon NyQuil

vCash: 500
Alfredsson hit the post in the dying minutes of Game 7 in 2003 against the Devils in the Conference Finals.

That's hockey folks.

Old
09-09-2005, 09:36 AM
KoopsKings

Is this what it has come to... leafs fans so desperate they start threads about what ifs?? Maybe if they knew how to shut down gretzky like montreal did they woulda been in the finals...I guess i will expect to hear more what ifs for another 40 years so i better get used to it.

Old
09-09-2005, 09:45 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
I think if Dale Hunter does not intentionally injure Turgeon the Isles beat Montreal, Los Angeles or Toronto and win the cup.

..and if Leon Stickle calls the offsides the Flyers win game 6, go home to win game 7, and the Isles trade one of their big 4 after failing in the playoffs again, and there is never any dynasty on Long Island ....

Old
09-09-2005, 11:08 AM
LadyJet26
WHITEOUT

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil
Alfredsson hit the post in the dying minutes of Game 7 in 2003 against the Devils in the Conference Finals.

That's hockey folks.
It really should have been Ottawa in the final that year. Jersey was offside on the winning goal.

Old
09-09-2005, 02:25 PM
IdiotsPickedMyName*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil

That's hockey folks.
Thank you for stabbing that wound wide open again.

Old
09-15-2005, 09:13 AM
doc5hole

Quote:
I think if Dale Hunter does not intentionally injure Turgeon the Isles beat Montreal, Los Angeles or Toronto and win the cup.
The Isles, without Turgeon, changed their game to find a way through Pittsburgh, which led the NHL with 119 points vs. NYI's 87. Had the Isles tried to match offense, no way they win. Throw Turgeon onto that ice, and the weave of the game changes so any number of things could happen and not happen, as in Pilon breaking Kevin Stevens face into nine pieces. If the air doesn't go out of the Pens, the two-time champs probably find a way.

HERE'S ANOTHER WHAT IF YOU COULD NOT HAVE HEARD ABOUT ...
A friend of mine has a stick collection from enforcers only. So, before Game 2 in Montreal, he gets one from Marty McSorley. (You can see where this is going ...) I've advised him on several occasions to measure it. If it's legal, he's in trouble with the LA Kings.

Old
09-15-2005, 09:18 AM
doc5hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
..and if Leon Stickle calls the offsides the Flyers win game 6, go home to win game 7, and the Isles trade one of their big 4 after failing in the playoffs again, and there is never any dynasty on Long Island ....
If Al Arbour wouldn't trade the Potvin pick to Sam Pollock after seven laps around St. Catherine Street, then I don't think losing would have caused him to blow it all up. That said, the Isles had the killer instinct that year, and though they were offsides on the Sutter roofer (they were also offsides a few times vs. the Bruins -- not sure what the epidemic was all about), and I think they come through. It was their time.

When the Flyers win the Cup next June, you'll finally get over it.

Old
09-15-2005, 09:42 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc5hole
If Al Arbour wouldn't trade the Potvin pick to Sam Pollock after seven laps around St. Catherine Street, then I don't think losing would have caused him to blow it all up. That said, the Isles had the killer instinct that year, and though they were offsides on the Sutter roofer (they were also offsides a few times vs. the Bruins -- not sure what the epidemic was all about), and I think they come through. It was their time.

When the Flyers win the Cup next June, you'll finally get over it.
I think if the Isles didn't win the Cup that year after making the deal for Goring they may have dealt one of the big 3. NOw they wouldn't have delt them for picks/prospects, but looked for a big 1-for-1 type move. That would have been 3 very diappointing playoff appearances in a row.

Not saying it's a given, but I think it's something Torrey would have had to think long and hard about.

Old
09-23-2005, 02:39 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp
Oh yeah, if McSorley hadn't been caught with that illegal stick, the Kings win the cup that year.
He shouldn't have had the illegal stick in the 1st place. It's his own stupid fault.

Old
09-23-2005, 03:03 PM
Verbal Kint*

Not sure if its been brought up but Gretzky drew blood. The reason Toronto fans were pised was because in '93 not only would we have had a 5 minute major to work with (lot better chances than a minor) but drawing blood meant a game misconduct. In other words, no matter what, if Fraser calls the penalty, Gretzky wouldn't have done jack all except cheer his team on from the dressing room.

Old
09-23-2005, 03:59 PM
Malefic74

It would have been a good finals, certainly not the best based on the players involved.

I can't see it eclipsing the great series between the Oilers and Isles, or the Oilers and Flyers for that matter in the modern era alone. For sheer talent on the ice the Dyansty finals between Edmonton & the Isles are untouchable in the modern era. For quality of play I have yet to see a more entertaining Finals than the 87 series between the Flyers and Oilers.

Old
09-25-2005, 03:14 AM
Islanders4Life*

Quote:

I think the Islanders were so motivated to play the Penguins without Turgeon(considering most experts probably didnt even give the Islanders a game in that series) I dont know if they would have won with Turgeon in the lineup..

And even though Turgeon wasnt 100% he was definetly back for the Canadien Series..

Old
09-25-2005, 08:09 AM

The thing about the Isles that people forget that year is that they were the only team to beat the Penguins three times. So it wasn't that much of a surprise to me. Plus, while there were great performances by some of the Isles, "Radar" just pick the Penguins apart and thoroughly outcoached Bowman.

As for the Turgeon injury, it ended up working out in the Islanders favor, not only because of his style of play not fitting what the Isles were doing againt the Pens, but it gave more time to Penguin Killer Ray Ferarro.

Old
09-25-2005, 06:17 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
There are a lot of guys on that Leafs team who went on to suck.

Closed Thread