HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Flyers 2014 NHL Draft preview

Old
06-23-2014, 12:15 AM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Philadelphia Flyers 2014 NHL Draft preview

The Philadelphia Flyers returned to the playoffs this season after a one-year hiatus, although they were unable to move past the first round. After the season ended, the Philadelphia front office promoted then-GM Paul Holmgren to team president while hiring Ron Hextall in his place.

The Flyers seem to be moving upward after making a few huge changes since their last Stanley Cup Final appearance in 2010. Philadelphia has a lot of solid, two-way players in its prospect pool, but the team lacks elite talent. The Flyers have several strong prospects who can help the team moving forward, but the lack of depth at many positions is a concern for the team.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 12:58 AM
Stizzle

Wow, that article was pretty rough on our goaltending. Yes, Mason has been inconsistent in the past for the Blue Jackets. We are aware. What goalie in there early 20's on a crap NHL team wouldn't be inconsistent? He has been pretty good here.

The article is pretty unfair to Stolarz. Obviously he is far from a sure thing. What kid goalie outside the NHL is? Gibson and Vasilevski are about it. The article makes it sound like that is a glaring need, which is very overstated.

Also, I love this quote... "They have a couple of good prospect centers in Scott Laughton and Nick Cousins, but lack depth outside of those players."
... Our top three centers on the big club are ages 26, 22, and 21. The Flyers aren't exactly worried about center depth, bro.

Stizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 01:06 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
The article is pretty unfair to Stolarz. Obviously he is far from a sure thing. What kid goalie outside the NHL is? Gibson and Vasilevski are about it. The article makes it sound like that is a glaring need, which is very overstated.
How is it unfair to Stolarz? It just mentions there are doubts surrounding him, which is true, is it not? You said yourself he's far from a sure thing. And, yeah, not all other teams have goalies that are a sure thing, but take a look at their prospects and you'll see pretty much all teams have good goalies in their pool. We really have nothing. Stolarz is at least a couple of years away from the NHL and we don't have a backup yet (and certainly not one as good as other teams do).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
Also, I love this quote... "They have a couple of good prospect centers in Scott Laughton and Nick Cousins, but lack depth outside of those players."
... Our top three centers on the big club are ages 26, 22, and 21. The Flyers aren't exactly worried about center depth, bro.
Look at the context, he was talking about the Flyers needing elite scoring, not center depth. He just mentioned those two, because he felt they come closest to "elite scoring" in terms of our prospects. It'd be laughable to call even them "elite", though.

We are good in terms of defensive prospects, though, so that's good.

Ryker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 02:23 AM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
How is it unfair to Stolarz? It just mentions there are doubts surrounding him, which is true, is it not? You said yourself he's far from a sure thing. And, yeah, not all other teams have goalies that are a sure thing, but take a look at their prospects and you'll see pretty much all teams have good goalies in their pool. We really have nothing. Stolarz is at least a couple of years away from the NHL and we don't have a backup yet (and certainly not one as good as other teams do).
Obviously there are doubts surrounding him. Like I said, almost every young goaltender has his issues. I definitely disagree with the text I bolded. That is surely an overstatement. How do we have nothing? Who cares if Stolarz is a few years away? All goalies his age are a few years away. Don't make it sound like we are in dire need of goaltending. Our current starter just turned 26 and is locked up. Stolarz is a goalie of fine pedigree. He's a 2nd round pick who has progressed pretty well. I don't think people are too worried about our backup situation either. It's a pretty saturated goalie market this summer. We should have no problem finding a perfectly competent NHL backup in what appears to be a buyers market.

Stizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 07:28 AM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Usual ignorant garbage about the Flyers goaltending.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 07:50 AM
BillDineen

I don't watch the Flyers, watch should I write about? Goaltending of course. Idiots.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 07:51 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I think it is pretty accurate about the goaltending. Stolarz has promise...but that is it. He is nowhere near NHL ready and is not a sure-bet by any means. And even if he makes it to the NHL, it is even more unclear if he will be a franchise goalie, starter, borderline starter, backup or otherwise. Outside of Stolarz, there is nothing in the pipeline worth mentioning.

As far as Mason goes...after one full season, it is completely acceptable to note that he has been inconsistent throughout the course of his career. The article doesn't say he is going to have a bad year or isn't a good starter, it just notes that he has been inconsistent in the past, which he has been. Taking note of that fact isn't "usual ignorant garbage about Flyers goaltending." It is pointing out the obvious.

Should the article not have mentioned the fact that Stolarz is questionable to be an NHLer? Should it not have said after Stolarz there is nothing? Should the blogger not have mentioned that Mason has been inconsistent or a question mark at times in his career?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 07:54 AM
Prongo
Beer

Organizationally we do have a weakness in goalie prospects. We have Stolarz and Mason as our starter. Didn't read the article but adding a goalie in the later rounds would be alright. Maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder and not a project in the 6th or 7th round. That is it though. Nothing beyond those two.

A couple of forwards in this draft and another defenseman we will start looking like we have an actual farm system again. I would like to add another 2nd rounder possibly and a couple next year. We need to try and stock up the cupboards to get this team on track again.

06-23-2014, 07:59 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I think it is pretty accurate about the goaltending. Stolarz has promise...but that is it. He is nowhere near NHL ready
Of course not, he's 20. But the Flyers have a 60+ game starter locked up for the next three years. All they need is a competent backup with working hips.

Old
06-23-2014, 08:20 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Of course not, he's 20. But the Flyers have a 60+ game starter locked up for the next three years. All they need is a competent backup with working hips.
So then what was the usual ignorance? Pointing out that Mason has been inconsistent or a question mark at times?

Old
06-23-2014, 08:43 AM
Curufinwe

By focusing on Mason's performance in his early 20s instead of the .920 SV% in 70 games he has as a Flyer, emphasizing the "doubts" around Stolarz' future when there are doubts around every goalie his age, and by criticizing the team for not having a goalie who's a "franchise player". Only one team in the league has a goalie who's their franchise player - New York.

Old
06-23-2014, 09:35 AM
BernieParent

I'm at a loss to understand why they would choose Schmaltz for the Flyers. Is he supposed to represent potential "elite" scoring? Plus, he's a center. Yay. Add another player in perhaps the team's biggest area of strength.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 09:59 AM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I'm at a loss to understand why they would choose Schmaltz for the Flyers. Is he supposed to represent potential "elite" scoring? Plus, he's a center. Yay. Add another player in perhaps the team's biggest area of strength.
I thought this choice was a lot stranger than questioning Stolarz or calling Mason inconsistant. I agree with the latter two. Mason is still fairly young and I have higher hopes for him than I have for a goalie we've had in a long time. Stolarz has had 2 very good regular seasons in junior and two disasters in postseason. If that isn't a big question mark on his potential I don't know what is. Only time will tell if he can handle pressure.

But Nick Shmaltz at #17? Isn't he like a mid-2nd rounder? I'd think there are far better prospects at position of need, or BPA than Shmaltz.

CanuckistanFlyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 09:59 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
By focusing on Mason's performance in his early 20s instead of the .920 SV% in 70 games he has as a Flyer, emphasizing the "doubts" around Stolarz' future when there are doubts around every goalie his age, and by criticizing the team for not having a goalie who's a "franchise player". Only one team in the league has a goalie who's their franchise player - New York.
It's not really focusing on his early 20s, it mentions that throughout his career he has been inconsistent and a question mark...which is 100% accurate. Even at times last year people worried that "the old Mason" was coming back. Does everything that happened prior to the trade get wiped clean because he played well last year (and for a handfull of games the year before)?

I'm not saying (and I don't think the blogger was saying) that Mason is not a capable starter, but that the future of the goalie situation in Philly remains somewhat unclear. Mason is the starter, no doubt. But it is certainly worth noting that aside from his most recent and his first season, he hasn't been all that great. The idea behind the article seems to be that at some point a goalie should be drafted because after Mason's contract ends we are again at a crossroads in goal. I don't think he was advocating for a goalie to be taken at 17, but I don't think anyone wold complain if a goalie is selected somewhere in the draft.

Old
06-23-2014, 10:30 AM
BillDineen

It is the typical tone you get:

"Outside of Mason, who has been a question mark at times, Philadelphia's best goalkeeping prospect is Anthony Stolarz. But there are doubts surrounding his future as well, and there is no other player capable of being an NHL goalkeeper in Philadelphia's system."

vs. Markstrom/Theodore in Florida's preview 2012:

"Goaltending provided the stability that the team desperately needed. Jose Theodore turned in a spectacular season, and Scott Clemmensen showed that he can still perform at a level necessary for a productive NHL backup. Jacob Markstrom will fight for a Florida roster spot this fall, though there is still a good chance he will start the season in the AHL for one last year of seasoning."

Did Theodore not have an up and down career? Markstrom was overhyped and picked 31 vs Stolarz arguably reached for a 45, but the goaltending is painted in a different light as always with the Flyers.

EDIT: Theodore had a .917 svp that year and retired the next. Mason had the same reg season svp and better playoff ones. Can you image if Theodore was the Flyers starter two years ago? It wouldn't be in the strengths section, it would be the butt end of some sarcastic comment.

Last edited by BillDineen: 06-23-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old
06-23-2014, 10:50 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
It is the typical tone you get:

"Outside of Mason, who has been a question mark at times, Philadelphia's best goalkeeping prospect is Anthony Stolarz. But there are doubts surrounding his future as well, and there is no other player capable of being an NHL goalkeeper in Philadelphia's system."

vs. Markstrom/Theodore in Florida's preview 2012:

"Goaltending provided the stability that the team desperately needed. Jose Theodore turned in a spectacular season, and Scott Clemmensen showed that he can still perform at a level necessary for a productive NHL backup. Jacob Markstrom will fight for a Florida roster spot this fall, though there is still a good chance he will start the season in the AHL for one last year of seasoning."

Did Theodore not have an up and down career? Markstrom was overhyped and picked 31 vs Stolarz arguably reached for a 45, but the goaltending is painted in a different light as always with the Flyers.

EDIT: Theodore had a .917 svp that year and retired the next. Mason had the same reg season svp and better playoff ones. Can you image if Theodore was the Flyers starter two years ago? It wouldn't be in the strengths section, it would be the butt end of some sarcastic comment.
Apples and oranges. Theodore is a 30-something guy that just put up three out of four seasons of .910 or better save percentage. Mason is a 20 something that did that his rookie year, a shortened year, and his most recent year...with everything in between being .901 or below. Moreover, they also had Markstrom, a guy that at the time was still supposed to be a top-flight goalie prospect, and Scott Clemmenson, who was putting up decent numbers as well. It wasn't a guy having his first good year since his rookie season, and another guy that is 3-4 years away and still uncertain what he is.

It is warranted to point out Mason's inconsistency, and it is also warranted to suggest drafting a goalie at some point during this draft.

Old
06-23-2014, 10:56 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

But is it not warrented to ooint out Masons good last season? Unless I missed it?

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 11:00 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Apples and oranges. Theodore is a 30-something guy that just put up three out of four seasons of .910 or better save percentage. Mason is a 20 something that did that his rookie year, a shortened year, and his most recent year...with everything in between being .901 or below. Moreover, they also had Markstrom, a guy that at the time was still supposed to be a top-flight goalie prospect, and Scott Clemmenson, who was putting up decent numbers as well. It wasn't a guy having his first good year since his rookie season, and another guy that is 3-4 years away and still uncertain what he is.

It is warranted to point out Mason's inconsistency, and it is also warranted to suggest drafting a goalie at some point during this draft.
The apples and oranges is the tone of the article and that is the point. You can point out Mason's previous inconsistency and omit his stellar season or you could praise it. If the Flyers had Theodore as a goalie in 2012 the article would have joked about Flyers never being able to find a permanent solution in goal and could have easily questioned Marstrom as they did Stolarz (given all goalies are a question mark). They didn't by choice. The same choice guys like Cullen on TSN choose when writing the same old narrative.

Old
06-23-2014, 11:04 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
But is it not warrented to ooint out Masons good last season? Unless I missed it?
They certainly point it out...

Quote:
Mason helped the Flyers be a competitive team this season, but he has been inconsistent in the past.
That is about as fair a statement as can be made about Mason. What do you want, some kind of fluff piece about how great it was and how there is no need to be concerned with the future of the team in net? The article isn't condemning Mason or the Flyers in net. It is simply pointing out, quite astutely, that:

Quote:
Outside of Mason, who has been a question mark at times, Philadelphia's best goalkeeping prospect is Anthony Stolarz
Yet another accurate quote. Neither of these statements are uninformed or off base. Neither condemn Mason or the Flyers. It simply says that Mason has been good, but in the past has been inconsistent, while pointing out that outside of Mason, the only real option is Stolarz...who is himself still a very big question mark. Are you going to tell me that these statements are ignorant, because to me it sounds like a perfect description of the Flyers' organization's goaltending.