HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Is It Time To Move Galchenyuk To Centre?

Old
06-14-2014, 03:49 AM
Kojo

vCash: 500
All the passion from both sides. That's real cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluded Puck View Post
This, so much this.

The CH are never going to win a cup with the likes of DD & Gorges playing such important minutes.

The goal is to win the Cup, and I'd rather the club risk taking 1 step backward before taking two (and many more) forwards.
Gorges was actually fantastic.

Kojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 04:00 AM
Deluded Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojo View Post
All the passion from both sides. That's real cute.

Gorges was actually fantastic.
I like Gorges' contributions, a lot, and he's definitely a good part of what the club is trying to do, butthe brutal truth is that he's not a no.2 or no.3 on a contender. He's playing a role that is too much for him.

He'd be no.5 in Chicago, No.4/5 on the Kings (where Mitchell is) and no. 4 on NYR.

Deluded Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 04:08 AM
Kojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluded Puck View Post
I like Gorges' contributions, a lot, and he's definitely a good part of what the club is trying to do, butthe brutal truth is that he's not a no.2 or no.3 on a contender. He's playing a role that is too much for him.

He'd be no.5 in Chicago, No.4/5 on the Kings (where Mitchell is) and no. 4 on NYR.
We do need that 2D, for sure. But that's for another thread unless you want to hear my suggestion for trying Chucky on defense.

Kojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 07:51 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricerStopDaPuck View Post
I was looking through YouTube and found a video of Galchenyuk stating he played wing until he moved to Sarnia( he then went on to play all his 3rd season as a winger pretty much all season if I recall correctly) maybe the wing is where he will always play which sucks because we have needed a 1c for a very long time.
I think people need to keep an open mind about stuff like this, anyway. I mean, Galchenyuk is an intriguing player and the best prospect we've had in a long, long time, but you just can't ignore the realities of his situation even in the face of this enormous desire we have to find that legendary #1 center. It has become like a mythological quest for fans for years, and I've seen people lose all kinds of perspective on the subject, some even supported the Gomez trade when it happened, or others proposed enormous trade packages for Lecavalier back in the day, etc. There has to be some perspective. Galchenyuk may or may not be able to make it as an NHL center, but people have to abandon the idea that it's somehow a destiny writ large in divine ink, or that it's his "natural" position. People just hurt themselves setting up those kinds of expectations on flimsy foundations.

He just hasn't had high level experience at center before, not any sustained amount of it anyway, being a rookie import in the OHL he just free-wheeled, and that's fine and appropriate to the situation, but it doesn't stand as convincing evidence of his ultimate destiny, nor any times when he was younger than 16, it's not the same level and the same responsibility as he'd ultimately have to shoulder as a #1 guy in the NHL.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 08:49 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Given DD's minutes? Well yea, it kinda is. Is the bar set so low that we can't expect more than 52pts from our go-to offensive center getting high minutes, with our best wingers, with the most off.zone FO, on the top PP??

I wouldn't have minded Vanek. He is a legit top winger. The guy was moved twice this year, played for 3 different teams, 3 different styles, 3 different levels of expectations, he came here, didn't even play 20 games in the season, was tried on 2 different lines, went into the POs, had a quick sweep, then like 10 days off, then an emotional series vs the Bruins, I didn't hear one freaking fan discuss how tough it must have been of a season for Vanek. Fans look at these guys like they're machines.
Despite all this, he still managed some production. I don't think people are being fair towards him at all.
Doesn't mean I wanted him signed 8x8, but he's certainly not this horrible player people are painting. In any event, he won't be re-signed, neither will Gionta. So that means we currently have MaxPac-Galla-Galy/DD as top 6 wingers. Then we have Bourque who's a mystery, and I'm sure nobody is expecting much from him. Briere was done before last year already.
So crap on Vanek all you want, but we need some wingers big time.
No ,not really at all. He didn't receive those minutes in the first 20 or so games, but the slump could still be an anomaly. If he had played those minutes from the start, he's probably closer to a 70 point player. The idea that replacing him with Eller or whoever would of netted greater gains in the same role is a pile of hogwash. You're talking the very top echelon in scoring, if they were to improve on what DD accomplished. There's almost no chance of it happening.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 09:16 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I think people need to keep an open mind about stuff like this, anyway. I mean, Galchenyuk is an intriguing player and the best prospect we've had in a long, long time, but you just can't ignore the realities of his situation even in the face of this enormous desire we have to find that legendary #1 center. It has become like a mythological quest for fans for years, and I've seen people lose all kinds of perspective on the subject, some even supported the Gomez trade when it happened, or others proposed enormous trade packages for Lecavalier back in the day, etc. There has to be some perspective. Galchenyuk may or may not be able to make it as an NHL center, but people have to abandon the idea that it's somehow a destiny writ large in divine ink, or that it's his "natural" position. People just hurt themselves setting up those kinds of expectations on flimsy foundations.

He just hasn't had high level experience at center before, not any sustained amount of it anyway, being a rookie import in the OHL he just free-wheeled, and that's fine and appropriate to the situation, but it doesn't stand as convincing evidence of his ultimate destiny, nor any times when he was younger than 16, it's not the same level and the same responsibility as he'd ultimately have to shoulder as a #1 guy in the NHL.
Maybe at the end of the day he will wind up a winger. But we should give him every opportunity as a center and the time to start is now. I think he's got the talent for it but that talent needs to be nurtured. We haven't done this so far and that's okay but if we're going to make him our number one, it has to start now. Waiting another year just means another year of lost development. At some point you have to go into the water if you want to swim.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 01:56 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
You can say pretty much the exact same thing about any young guy. I mean Tinordi/Beaulieu might not be ready for the NHL, they've never had a sustainted amount of experience there so does that mean we should re-sign all three of Murray, Bouillon, Weaver and wait for injuries to give them a chance?

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 02:55 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
There is no myth to how much having a solid #1 center. It is the most important position up front, whether you like to admit it or not.
Now if you have Ovechkin, Kane, Hossa, Lucic in your top 6, then okay, the importance of that #1 centerman diminishes, but we're far from having that.

And maybe he will become a winger, nobody is arguing against that. People just want to see what he can do at center. I don't understand why you're stubbornly debating this.

Quote:
Nobody has a high level of experience when they come into the NHL, and if you're scared that it will be too much, then make him center a 3rd line. He did just fine with a small sample as a rookie there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
No ,not really at all. He didn't receive those minutes in the first 20 or so games, but the slump could still be an anomaly. If he had played those minutes from the start, he's probably closer to a 70 point player. The idea that replacing him with Eller or whoever would of netted greater gains in the same role is a pile of hogwash. You're talking the very top echelon in scoring, if they were to improve on what DD accomplished. There's almost no chance of it happening.
Top echelon?? DD had 52pts. Outproducing him means top echelon?? Really?? We need to bring up our standards buddy.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 04:30 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
There is no myth to how much having a solid #1 center. It is the most important position up front, whether you like to admit it or not.
Now if you have Ovechkin, Kane, Hossa, Lucic in your top 6, then okay, the importance of that #1 centerman diminishes, but we're far from having that.

And maybe he will become a winger, nobody is arguing against that. People just want to see what he can do at center. I don't understand why you're stubbornly debating this.

Nobody has a high level of experience when they come into the NHL, and if you're scared that it will be too much, then make him center a 3rd line. He did just fine with a small sample as a rookie there.

Top echelon?? DD had 52pts. Outproducing him means top echelon?? Really?? We need to bring up our standards buddy.
Context buddy, I wzs referring to those saying he only got those points because of the situation, if he was put in the same situation for the first 20 games, which he wasn't, then he'd be flirting with 70.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 06:17 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Context buddy, I wzs referring to those saying he only got those points because of the situation, if he was put in the same situation for the first 20 games, which he wasn't, then he'd be flirting with 70.
Yeah, lets talk about context. Lets talk about how, in those first 20 games, he was outscored by a goalie.

http://www.extraskater.com/player/28...h/gamelog/2013

http://www.extraskater.com/player/15...s/gamelog/2013

Top echelon, without a doubt.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 06:51 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Yes, but it's a problem that Desharnais' production went to zero when he wasn't being comprehensive privileges.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 06:59 PM
Fozz

I like how Galchenyuk has been handled to date. He finished the playoffs on the 2nd line and will more than likely start next year in that spot. His move to centre is eminent but there's no rush to put him there. Has long as he keeps getting increased minutes and responsibilities, it's all good.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 07:09 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
With respect BG, these are good arguments, but there is a bigger picture. Habs absolutely must have a dominant no 1 centre, an NHL top 5 hopefully, starting very soon in order to take advantage of PK and Price's prime. That is why there is urgency.

Look at King's centres, for god's sake man. Unbelievable. Centre is hugely important to winning, and I've been saying Habs C is terrible for 3 years now.

You just cannot trade for these guys, and UFA is a joke.

Habs need to prepare Chuckie for this role now. He has to get used to the responsibility, and the pressure. He is the guy. He is the only possible dominant no. 1 C hope Habs have.

Habs in 70's , when players were on average older also, had the luxury of transitioning from Jean and Pocket to Lemaire (One of the best NHL centres ever in my opinion) and Pete Mahovlich, while still winning cups.

Habs do not have that luxury now. They have to ensure Chuckie is ready for a long PO run as number 1 C in 2016. He has a lot of work to do, and they need to start now.
Are centers are terrible? We arguably have 3 top 6 centers... yet only two top 6 wingers.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 08:20 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** the King

vCash: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Man Rock Band View Post
Are centers are terrible? We arguably have 3 top 6 centers... yet only two top 6 wingers.
Yet I would argue only one of them would likely be considered a desirable option for a yearly contending team, and that is Plekanec due to his overall game. Eller is too inconsistent at this point, and Desharnais is too limited for me to suggest they are ideal if Montreal had to play one of the west's teams. It's when you start to think about the matchups against the likes of Anaheim, LA and Chicago, most noticeably at the No. 1 spot, when it becomes clear Montreal's centre position is clearly not a strength. The fact that Montreal's wing position is weak does not help matters, but I think there is something to be said about No. 1 centres being a terrific building block for consistent contention.

BLASPHEMOUS is offline   Reply With Quote