HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Is It Time To Move Galchenyuk To Centre?

Old
06-09-2014, 09:59 AM
Jay Wolf

vCash: 500
He should be given a chance to make the transition. The team wore down at the C position as the PO's got more intense. Having another skilled centre with size down the middle (along with Larry) is essential to making it to the next level. I thought Davey had a good postseason, but his energy wained in the 3rd round, for obvious reasons. When you're 5'7", having to back-check against much bigger players for 3-4 rounds will catch up to you, I don't care who you are. Along with TP as the 1-2 punch at the C position is just not good enough.

It should, however, be done intelligently and methodically. There is a hole on the right side, since I doubt Vanek will be back, so you dangle one of DD or TP and find out if you can acquire that RW. My best guess would be that you'd get more for Pleky; from CHI or FLA, perhaps. Regardless, if you can bring back something that helps the team, then do it. Otherwise, we might as well start the season with what brought us to the 3rd round. I see no value in dumping a player for scraps just to make room for Chucky.

If we can move one of our smallish centres for a veteran RW, then our lineup looks like this in October:

MaxPac - DD - (vet RW)
Bourque - Eller - Gally
Briere - Chucky - Weise
Moen/Bournival - Prust - White

Briere is here for another year as a back-up plan in case Chucky falters. It's not ideal, but what ever is? If you can't get anything worthwhile for Pleky, then we go back to what we had before with Chucky on the wing, while getting spot duty at C and filling in in case of injury.

Last edited by Jay Wolf: 06-09-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Jay Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2014, 10:21 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
So how long should he play wing for? He's going into year 3. I could understand if there was a log jam of good centermen ahead of him but there's room. He should play and if a guy like DD is standing in his way then trade him. IMO if he doesn't turn into a top 2 line centerman then drafting him will be a disaster.
I just don't know how anybody assumes he immediately does better than DD or Eller. He might or might not, but it's not really a risk we need to take. He's good on the wing. We need wingers too. He'll get chances to fill in at times at center, and that's when you just see if he grabs the ball and runs with it. You don't have to force things. If it's meant to be, it'll happen. If not, no worries.

To me, it's just silly to say things like "if he doesn't turn into a top 2 line centerman then drafting him will be a disaster". Come on. If he scores 30 goals or gets 70 points from the wing instead, what's wrong with that? It was a good draft for defensemen, but there wasn't anybody else who was even a candidate to play center available in that drafting echelon. We need some scoring up front, regardless of what position it comes from.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2014, 10:38 AM
Lafleurs Guy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I just don't know how anybody assumes he immediately does better than DD or Eller. He might or might not, but it's not really a risk we need to take. He's good on the wing. We need wingers too. He'll get chances to fill in at times at center, and that's when you just see if he grabs the ball and runs with it. You don't have to force things. If it's meant to be, it'll happen. If not, no worries.
I think he'd be at least as good as DD. He's basically averaged just over 40 points per 82 games in his first two seasons and has had nowhere near the same kind of opportunity. He won't have the same kind of two way play offered by Eller but I think he's got more offensive upside.

And I don't see why we wouldn't want to put him there. It's his natural position, its what we drafted him to be. He came into the league very young so I can understand the rationale behind playing him on the wing. But I think he's ready to take on the role.

We should give him sheltered minutes, lots of PP time, good wingers and try to develop him. We've done everything we can to mess up Eller in my opinion and I don't want to see the same thing happen with Galchenyuk. He's our best offensive prospect in a long time and we should treat him as such. I think we should do everything we can to get him going.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2014, 10:39 AM
MXD

It is certainly time to try him on a serious basis.
The move has to follow.

I mean, he'd probably take DD's place at center. That, or take the place of another player who might get moved.

That pretty much means, if no trade occurs, that :

- DD will play wing (plz no Eller, Plekanec would be idiotic)
- More precisely, on Galchenyuk's wing, unless he's tried on Eller's wing (something that could possibly make sense as well). In the first case, DD can somewhat help Galchenyuk for faceoffs. In the 2nd case, Gallagher is getting used to taking those faceoffs anyways.

DD isn't THAT great for faceoffs, but we'd have to consider him better than Galchenyuk at this point. Both are LHS, but nothing prevents DD from taking the faceoffs. Otherwise, Gallagher can take the off-side faceoffs.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2014, 10:41 AM
JLP
Refugee

Quote:

To me, it's just silly to say things like "if he doesn't turn into a top 2 line centerman then drafting him will be a disaster". Come on. If he scores 30 goals or gets 70 points from the wing instead, what's wrong with that? It was a good draft for defensemen, but there wasn't anybody else who was even a candidate to play center available in that drafting echelon. We need some scoring up front, regardless of what position it comes from.
Sounds defeatist. Galchenyuk was drafted 3rd overall, as a big top line center that the Habs have been seeking for years (decades?).

For me what's "silly" is to leave Galchenyuk on the wing in deference to an undrafted midget who can do little but pass to our top, skilled wingers -- and whose ceiling in that role lies in the 50 point per season range.

And Galchenyuk would be immediately better than Desharnais if the benchmark is Desharnais' start last season.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2014, 10:54 AM
Sorinth

Quote:

Well isn't that what people said about last season and he ended up playing 1 game at center. You don't have to force things but never giving a chance for him to run with the ball is just as bad if not worse.

The goal should be for him to be our top line center. We should be doing what we can to increase the likelihood of that happening, and that means playing center ASAP. It makes no sense that we are relying solely on luck for him to get his chance rather than actually planning it.

If you are afraid he's not ready for it then have a backup plan. Moving DD to wing for example provides that backup plan since if Galchenyuk struggles at C you can move Desharnais back. If we trade Desharnais but keep Briere on the roster it's also a decent backup plan since we would still have decent center depth. There are also UFA's out there that can play 3rd line C or Wing which are options as well.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2014, 11:01 AM
Lafleurs Guy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
Well isn't that what people said about last season and he ended up playing 1 game at center. You don't have to force things but never giving a chance for him to run with the ball is just as bad if not worse.

The goal should be for him to be our top line center. We should be doing what we can to increase the likelihood of that happening, and that means playing center ASAP. It makes no sense that we are relying solely on luck for him to get his chance rather than actually planning it.

If you are afraid he's not ready for it then have a backup plan. Moving DD to wing for example provides that backup plan since if Galchenyuk struggles at C you can move Desharnais back. If we trade Desharnais but keep Briere on the roster it's also a decent backup plan since we would still have decent center depth. There are also UFA's out there that can play 3rd line C or Wing which are options as well.
I really hate this idea.

Our coach will be itching to put him back at center. I'd much rather we get a real winger and move DD. He's not a winger anyway so move him. Eller and Plecs can be the fall back and if things get bad we can deal for a center to help out.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2014, 12:26 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
I think the goal should be for him to become the best player he can be and to maximize his contribution to our team. Playing center in the NHL may be too much of a challenge for him, based on his limited experience at the position in recent years, or it may not, who knows. I definitely don't see any "ASAP" angle to it, though. He's just 20. He has lots of time. I don't mind if he becomes more of a Guy Lafleur than Jacques Lemaire. The whole fixation on "big #1 center" is a little weird to me.

Old
06-10-2014, 12:35 PM
RussCourtnallsGhost

Yes, now. Well past due. With talented players like this, you take the growing pains as they come. I doubt Therrien will do it though, hell probably try to mold him into something hes not just like he tried to do with Subban.

RussCourtnallsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2014, 12:36 PM
7 day theory

Quote:
I think the goal should be for him to become the best player he can be and to maximize his contribution to our team. Playing center in the NHL may be too much of a challenge for him, based on his limited experience at the position in recent years, or it may not, who knows. I definitely don't see any "ASAP" angle to it, though. He's just 20. He has lots of time. I don't mind if he becomes more of a Guy Lafleur than Jacques Lemaire. The whole fixation on "big #1 center" is a little weird to me.
Agreed it's a little weird...however, when I look at Galchenyuk play, he just looks to me like a player who's a natural center, he doesn't look comfortable on the wing IMO.

Plus a guy with that vision and playmaking ability, I want him controlling the puck as much as possible.

I personally think the longer the Habs wait to make the eventual switch to center, the more difficult the learning curve will be.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2014, 12:39 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
If anything playing center full time next year will set him back a bit offensively, given the extra responsibility on defense and in terms of faceoffs.

Let the kid become a force on offense, then move him to center. Let him master a couple of things at a time instead of 5 or 6.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2014, 12:50 PM
lou4gehrig
Sergachev 2nd best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odelein24 View Post
Developing Galchenyuk at Center should be one of the top priorities of this team.
Yes. Exactly.

Galchenyuk at center is one of the only things to open up our Stanley Cup window for the nezt 15 yeara.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2014, 01:30 PM
Milhouse40

Quote:
Let's see this the other way. What's the worst that can happens by putting Galchenyuk at center?

I say let get the kid comfortable...it's around him we're building, so let's put that corner stone at the right place.

Center or winger, that kid got NOTHING TO DO on a shutdown line with Plekanec anyway.
It's like the worst place possible for him. Third line? Not after 2 years in the NHL.

He's got to be on an offensive line. Period.
And on this team it's either Patches or DD's spot.

......or splitting offensive games situations but everytime they tried that, the duo of Pacthes and DD turned cold.....

Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2014, 02:07 PM
IceDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
We haven't seen proof of his effectiveness at center, not to mention success at taking faceoffs.
LOL He played 1 game at center vs a stacked Blues team.

The Habs drafted him to be a center and its time to play him there and live with his mistakes. Thats how youngsters learn.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2014, 02:29 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Centers have a greater impact on the game than wingers do. I personally don't care about the big part, and to be honest don't even consider Galchenyuk that big.

Where does the idea that he can't handle playing center even come from. In his rookie year he was doing great as a center. Granted it was a sheltered role but somebody needs to explain why playing center is so hard that Galchenyuk might not be able to do it but a guy like Desharnais can.

What does being 20 have to do with anything? Some players are great from the get go, others take time. Galchenyuk has already shown he's ready for a bigger offensive role. There's no reason for him to just sit around spinning his tires just because he's 20.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2014, 02:39 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
You really don't know?? The kid is already averaging a .5 scoring pace. He's done it playing on the wing, and partly on the toughest assignment line with Plek too.
So please, explain to me why he wouldn't be able to keep up with DD's .6 scoring pace since Galy's been here? Is it really that far fetched?
As for Eller, last year as a rookie, Galy only had 3 less points. This year, he scored 31pts, Eller's highest total is 30. So ya, I'm pretty confident he can score more points.

The question is, will our team be better if Galy is moved to center our exploitation line? I think it will. How can anybody watch this kid without seeing the massive potential and not want to put him in the best position to develop this is a mystery to me.
We're not talking about removing Getzlaf or Thornton from the center position in order to put Galchenyuk. We're talking about freaking David Desharnais. Can we be real here for a second?

You seriously have doubts that Galy won't see his production increase if we make him center an exploitation line with our two best wingers and be on our top PP wave??? Again, you're serious here?

Quote:
It's not silly. It's why we drafted him.
I wouldn't have a problem letting him score 30 goals/70 points on the wing if it's because we had better centers. Keeping him on the wing so we can let worse hockey players stay at their natural position would be absolutely insane to me.
Put him at center, and move those worse players. Jesus Christ man..come on..

You are right, we need scoring up front, and the most important position to fill up front is the #1 center spot. We have a potential candidate for that role, and you are suggesting we just keep him on the wing so we can have weaker players fill in our most important role. That is some seriously twisted thinking.

Quote:
So he might not be comfortable at center (although he looked mighty fine playing center last year with Galla-Prust) because of the lack of experience at this position in the NHL, and our idea to improve this is by making him play wing some more??? What?
Again, we're not talking about him playing center over a future HoF here, not even a ppg player, not even a player that reached 70pts once, not even freaking 65pts!!!
So ya, the most important position up front right now needs some upgrading. We have that possible upgrade and people are arguing to keep him aside. It's ********.

I really do not understand where this idea that our 3rd overall pick, a kid that was ready enough to make the team right after being drafted, who's managed to already average a .5 scoring pace over his two years, who's handled tougher oppositions on Plek's wing, who started in his rookie year doing very well centering another rookie and a scrapper, is suddenly not capable of handling playing center anymore. Really, where did this garbage idea generate from?

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2014, 02:40 PM
Lemons

Once the kid develops his lower body (needs alot of work). He'll be top 10 in the NHL no doubt.

Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2014, 02:42 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
LEBBRRRAAAWWNNNNN

I think I`ll just wait until training camp happens and see if Therrien gives Galchenyuk some draws. At the very least, it is worth trying Galchenyuk there. If he does enough, let him start and give him some leeway.

All imma say is that it would be damn nice to have a no. 1 centre for once down the line. At the very least, I expect Therrien to at least try and develop him as one.

BLASPHEMOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2014, 03:35 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I really do not understand where this idea that our 3rd overall pick, a kid that was ready enough to make the team right after being drafted, who's managed to already average a .5 scoring pace over his two years, who's handled tougher oppositions on Plek's wing, who started in his rookie year doing very well centering another rookie and a scrapper, is suddenly not capable of handling playing center anymore. Really, where did this garbage idea generate from?
But you're just pretending that there are two diametrically opposed viewpoints here arguing that he CAN or CANNOT be our best center RIGHT NOW, essentially. I'm just in the middle saying it's not a big deal either way. He may or may not be able to play center, I don't see much evidence in either direction, and it doesn't matter to me if he's a star at center or at wing instead. He looks good on the wing to me. I don't feel like I've seen him at center enough (including junior) to have a good idea whether he would fit better there or not. He might. If he shows enough aptitude I'm sure they'll work it into the plan. If he doesn't show the aptitude, no biggie. It's a situation where you just let it evolve naturally, you don't have to tailor your roster and your opening night lineup around forcing something to happen around it.

It's a little bit too much of a fixation on position, IMHO, where instead the player's overall progression is what's really important at this point in time, and he might just have a little less pressure and a little more freedom to experiment and get his timing at this level if he was on the wing, so I don't see any harm in it if it goes that way.

Old
06-10-2014, 03:53 PM
MauriceMaxwell

Of course there is a fixation on the kid playing centre. It's what he was drafted to be. There is a huge difference in being a franchise centre and a franchise winger. Centres are very important. I'll take a franchise centre over a franchise winger any day of the week. We've been lacking one forever. Now that we've finally drafted a kid who has the talent to become that franchise centre, we sure as heck better not convert him into a winger.

MauriceMaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2014, 06:01 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
But you're just pretending that there are two diametrically opposed viewpoints here arguing that he CAN or CANNOT be our best center RIGHT NOW, essentially. I'm just in the middle saying it's not a big deal either way. He may or may not be able to play center, I don't see much evidence in either direction, and it doesn't matter to me if he's a star at center or at wing instead. He looks good on the wing to me. I don't feel like I've seen him at center enough (including junior) to have a good idea whether he would fit better there or not. He might. If he shows enough aptitude I'm sure they'll work it into the plan. If he doesn't show the aptitude, no biggie. It's a situation where you just let it evolve naturally, you don't have to tailor your roster and your opening night lineup around forcing something to happen around it.
I'm not sure I understand you here..
Where is the evidence that he isn't ready to play center? Unless you want to take a one game sample of this year as your foundation. If not, you can look at a bigger sample last season when he did very well next to Galla and Prust. So where is this evidence of him not being able to play center?
You know, any center can be converted to a winger. It's a lot harder to find solid centers than wingers. So if we have the possibility of having one, you shouldn't toss him aside for the benefit of a weaker center.

And again, you kind of ignored a major point here. Centers are more important than wingers. Therefore, #1 Center is the most important position up front.
We have a kid with that potential. Right now, we're using a player that has a career high of 60pts, who's been on a scoring pace of about 50pts over the past two years, as our #1.
You're trying to argue that this isn't an issue?

If he shows enough aptitude?? Such as? Don't you see how this kid needs to be the puck carrier of his line? That he will drive the offense of his line? We need him to get used to that role, he has that talent, we need him to improve his faceoffs and positioning as a center, that's not going to happen by putting him on the wing.
A winger doesn't just naturally transition to being a center. We're not talking about an offensive Dman who you tell to focus on his defensive side before you let him naturally take more offensive chances little by little. Or a center that you start off by giving easy bottom line minutes, then increase his role little by little as he gets more comfortable. You're talking about a winger and a center, two different positions, with different responsibilities and roles. So don't expect a natural progression from a winger to center. It's not going to happen.
He needs to play center.

Again, if we had guys like Getzlaf or Thornton, or Krejci and Bergeron, then I get it. But we're talking about freaking Desharnais.

Quote:
It's a little bit too much of a fixation on position, IMHO, where instead the player's overall progression is what's really important at this point in time, and he might just have a little less pressure and a little more freedom to experiment and get his timing at this level if he was on the wing, so I don't see any harm in it if it goes that way.
You're not going to know just how good of a centerman he can be if you keep him on the wing. By all means, put him back to the wing if he struggles at center. I doubt this will happen. He's a natural center, not just because he's always played there, but just look at the way he plays. He is a center.

Old
06-10-2014, 06:06 PM
Milhouse40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriceMaxwell View Post
Of course there is a fixation on the kid playing centre. It's what he was drafted to be. There is a huge difference in being a franchise centre and a franchise winger. Centres are very important. I'll take a franchise centre over a franchise winger any day of the week. We've been lacking one forever. Now that we've finally drafted a kid who has the talent to become that franchise centre, we sure as heck better not convert him into a winger.
This

Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2014, 07:44 PM
tinyzombies

Vanek - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Pacioretty - Eller - Bourque
Bournival - Plekanec - Weise
CAVEMAN speedburner - Briere - Prust
(pick up a scorer at the deadline again - the Kings have 5 guys they picked up at the deadline... that's what it takes)

Markov - PK
Beaulieu - Gorges
Tinordi - Weaver
Pateryn
(pick up a top 4 d at the deadline if necessary)

Price
Budaj

-Bourque is a right-wing top 6 player, we need to stop using him on the left wing third line. Been saying this since we got him. He's a scorer, use him in a scoring role or trade him. He will not put 100% into his game if he's not used properly. Gaborik will be 34 by next playoffs... not a good investment. Plus, he's not leaving LA, guaranteed. We need to keep Vanek.

-Also, it's time to give Eller significant second line minutes as well. If this team is going anywhere, he will have to become a 60 point guy. Now.

-I like Pleks, but he needs help. His salary is good, he still has legs. He's like Stoll in that he can't put up offense anymore, but he's a solid checker.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 06-10-2014 at 07:55 PM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2014, 07:51 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I'm not sure I understand you here..
Clearly! Because you go on to say:
Quote:
Where is the evidence that he isn't ready to play center?
When I explicitly stated that there was no evidence in either direction. Maybe he can play center and maybe he can't. My position is that there's no need to force the issue or rush him, and that indeed there is no evidence, so no reason for everybody to line up and take sides on the issue.
Quote:
And again, you kind of ignored a major point here. Centers are more important than wingers. Therefore, #1 Center is the most important position up front.
But a 40-goal 80-point winger may be better than a 60-pt center. It's not black and white. He may produce more as a winger and be a more effective player there if he doesn't have the same responsibilities. But more importantly than that, he may just develop his skills better on the wing as a young player, which may allow him to develop into a better center down the road than he would become if you just threw him in there now.

Or, again, maybe not. The point is that people shouldn't be lining to scream that Galchenyuk "MUST BE A CENTER ASAP!!%!!!"

I don't think in his case there is a clear right answer. He hasn't played much center in the last 4 years, and there are some good reasons for that, and some less good ones.
Quote:
He's a natural center, not just because he's always played there, but just look at the way he plays. He is a center.
I don't believe there is such a thing as "a natural center". He's a forward. Who may or may not be best served becoming a center. Also, he certainly has not "always played there".

At any rate, the main thing is there is no need to rush it or push it. Center is an _option_ for Galchenyuk. A good one and a hopeful one. But not something that absolutely requires urgent action to address.

Old
06-10-2014, 09:00 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Clearly!
When I explicitly stated that there was no evidence in either direction. Maybe he can play center and maybe he can't. My position is that there's no need to force the issue or rush him, and that indeed there is no evidence, so no reason for everybody to line up and take sides on the issue.
But that was my point. This kid was drafted as a center. Are you going to wonder if a prospect drafted to play defense can play defense? This makes zero sense. Of course he can play center. Why wouldn't he be able to?? He's played center the vast majority of his life, he played there with Gallagher and Prust and they were great. So again, why is this even a question?
If an offensive Dman is drafted in the top 3 and is good enough to make the NHL team right off the bat who's great at skating the puck up, are you not going to use him on the PP? Are you going to wonder if he skate the puck up???
He is a center. Use him as so.

Quote:
But a 40-goal 80-point winger may be better than a 60-pt center. It's not black and white. He may produce more as a winger and be a more effective player there if he doesn't have the same responsibilities. But more importantly than that, he may just develop his skills better on the wing as a young player, which may allow him to develop into a better center down the road than he would become if you just threw him in there now.
OR....
He might just be better suited to play the position he's played in his whole life? The one he was drafted as??
Why do you have this 80pt winger vs 60 pt center idea in mind??
Not that you are necessarily wrong, but we haven't given him a try at center. So there's no reason for you to believe this at this point.
Also, again, if we had solid centers ahead, then I would understand this sentiment. But we don't. We have 1 center that scored 52pts, another with 43, and another with 26.
So what is it with this need to keep him on the wing??

Quote:
Or, again, maybe not. The point is that people shouldn't be lining to scream that Galchenyuk "MUST BE A CENTER ASAP!!%!!!"

I don't think in his case there is a clear right answer. He hasn't played much center in the last 4 years, and there are some good reasons for that, and some less good ones.

I don't believe there is such a thing as "a natural center". He's a forward. Who may or may not be best served becoming a center. Also, he certainly has not "always played there".

At any rate, the main thing is there is no need to rush it or push it. Center is an _option_ for Galchenyuk. A good one and a hopeful one. But not something that absolutely requires urgent action to address.
There aren't too many reasons as to why he wasn't used as a center.
He was a center in his rookie season in Juniors and did very well. Got injured for the next season. Came back but Sarault was on fire, so they made him play the last few games + POs on the wing. For us, he started as a center, Eller was used as our 4th center. He got singled out and scratched. When he came back, he played well on the fourth line to the point where he had to be upgraded. He was tried on the wing for a short period, that failed. So they made a switch to Gally on the wing - Eller at center. That was a better recipe for team success. For the WJC, he was used on the wing because there were better options at center, or so the coach felt.
It had nothing to do with him not being able or ready for being a center.

Again, to me it's not about urgency, it's about wasting our best center option on the wing.

I think Galchenyuk is talented enough to center a top line that does not need sheltering, but I think he needs to start off on an exploitation line. Make him center Max and Gallagher (or possibly Bourque). Let's see what this kid can do. If it doesn't work, we can put him back on the wing.
We know that DD leading an exploitation line, getting the bulk of opportunities up front, leads to a very bad team ES offensive production. So why stick with that?

Time to mix it up. Not sure why anybody would want DD to center Max-Galla again, getting the top offensive minutes, and keep Galchenyuk with Plekanec on tough match ups. Makes no sense to me.