HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

A world without borders

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-11-2014, 03:59 PM
  #126
Vyacheslav
That one guy
 
Vyacheslav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Jackson, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 14,357
vCash: 541
Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
I wouldn't compare the advance's made in science to possible advance's in living conditions.

As long as we have more than 2 billion people wanting to kill each other just cause the fairy-tale creature they believe in, I don't see any chance on uniting the population to one big government.
And I'm saying just because it's like that today doesn't necessarily mean it's always going to be like that.

Vyacheslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2014, 04:13 PM
  #127
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward
 
Do Make Say Think's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 15,596
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
I wouldn't compare the advance's made in science to possible advance's in living conditions.

As long as we have more than 2 billion people wanting to kill each other just cause the fairy-tale creature they believe in, I don't see any chance on uniting the population to one big government.
One does it have to be one or the other?

How about 2 billion people happy and not wanting a unified world government or whatever it might be called

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2014, 10:57 PM
  #128
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oulu
Posts: 8,952
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter1 View Post
The EU has a united military organizational structure that assures mutual defence for all its members.

Your post was that EU doesn't have a military union. The Common Security and Defence Policy of the military of the European Union would contradict your claim, as there is a command leadership, troop count, annual budget, etc.
Yeah. You are right. I remember talking about the non-existent military power the EU has and just assumed that there was no military union.

TAnnala is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 03:25 AM
  #129
jekoh
Registered User
 
jekoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
Are we even capable of producing good quality life to every single person in the world? I don't mean iPad's for everyone. But just enough food/shelter/water/health-care/education/social security? The disparities between countries right now is humongous. Even if we all would be willing to take a step back from our current living conditions (which is not going to happen, ever), can we make sure that certain places on earth won't get over populated causing the collapse of society in those areas?
Yes, I'm pretty sure we can.

The very first link found on a search engine reads "We Already Grow Enough Food For 10 Billion People". Various other sources say pretty much the same.

The third link from the very same search reads "The 85 Richest People In The World Have As Much Wealth As The 3.5 Billion Poorest", so the average dude in a rich country wouldn't even need to surrender any of its wealth for the poors' condition to improve significantly.

I'm also curious as to why improving people's conditions would make it more likely for certain areas to get over populated. If anything that would make it less likely.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 07:38 AM
  #130
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
Yes, I'm pretty sure we can.
Not to derail the thread but...
Quote:
The very first link found on a search engine reads "We Already Grow Enough Food For 10 Billion People". Various other sources say pretty much the same.
The issue has never been the amount of food available, but the logistics of its distribution. How to regularly send food to civil war zones, or population groups without road access etc? That's the hard part.
Quote:
The third link from the very same search reads "The 85 Richest People In The World Have As Much Wealth As The 3.5 Billion Poorest", so the average dude in a rich country wouldn't even need to surrender any of its wealth for the poors' condition to improve significantly.
This assume perfect liquidation of his assets, and a solid redistribution mechanism for people in country with weak financial institutions.

Just like a "word without borders", it is a much more complex question in practice than in theory.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 08:08 AM
  #131
Rekin
Registered User
 
Rekin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Warszawa
Country: Poland
Posts: 416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
The issue has never been the amount of food available, but the logistics of its distribution. How to regularly send food to civil war zones, or population groups without road access etc? That's the hard part.
And the economy of... For example in Ethiopia masses of people were starving to death as they couldn't afford anything to eat and at the very same time the farmers were struggling too as no one could afford to buy their products. There was no serious lack of food and no major logistical problems, just capitalism at its worst.

Rekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 09:26 AM
  #132
jekoh
Registered User
 
jekoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
The issue has never been the amount of food available,
It was in the post I quoted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
This assume perfect liquidation of his assets, and a solid redistribution mechanism for people in country with weak financial institutions.

Just like a "word without borders", it is a much more complex question in practice than in theory.
Of course it is, but the argument that gets trotted out seems to be that the improvement of people in poor countries' condition requires the average joe in rich countries to surrender parts of his wealth. But it doesn't.

That's sometimes what happens mind you, but that's not because of a lack of resources.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 10:58 AM
  #133
Sharpshooter1
Registered User
 
Sharpshooter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
Yeah. You are right. I remember talking about the non-existent military power the EU has and just assumed that there was no military union.
No worries. I'm sure it's not common knowledge. Easy mistake to make.

It does highlight, however, the world advancing to a more Type 1 civilization as the planet's factions(countries/cultures) begin to coalesce, even if just on paper.

The 2nd step in this process is a having more countries do these types of shared unions.

It's plain to me that this is the next step in our species evolution. We go from a variety of small tribes and clans into one big tribe/clan.

Sharpshooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 12:49 PM
  #134
Doppler Drift
Registered User
 
Doppler Drift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,512
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Not to derail the thread but...

The issue has never been the amount of food available, but the logistics of its distribution. How to regularly send food to civil war zones, or population groups without road access etc? That's the hard part.

This assume perfect liquidation of his assets, and a solid redistribution mechanism for people in country with weak financial institutions.

Just like a "word without borders", it is a much more complex question in practice than in theory.
If we manage to survive long enough to get to the point of no more borders there will be no more countries. So we will have gotten past the tribalism/provincialism that leads to wars and there won't be any places with weak financial institutions since the world will be one nation.

You can't visualize such a world because you are looking at it with a viewpoint of how the world is today. This is something that will happen far in the future.

Doppler Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 12:54 PM
  #135
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler Drift View Post
If we manage to survive long enough to get to the point of no more borders there will be no more countries. So we will have gotten past the tribalism/provincialism that leads to wars and there won't be any places with weak financial institutions since the world will be one nation.

You can't visualize such a world because you are looking at it with a viewpoint of how the world is today. This is something that will happen far in the future.
I can visualize such a world very well thank you. But as you say, it's so far in the future and would require so drastic changes in so many things... I don't even see the point of having a tread about it

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 02:09 PM
  #136
MM425
Registered User
 
MM425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,591
vCash: 500
Nowhere near close to this idea right now but I think technology as well as existential threats to humanity will probably bring us closer to it.

Assuming we don't blow each other up or mother nature doesn't snuff us out, of course.

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.