HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr

Closed Thread

Old
09-02-2005, 11:49 AM
rmp

vCash: 500
Jagr

A month or two ago, Jagr reportedly expressed his interest in playing in Russia this up-coming season. I highly doubt he would actually do it, but has anything new come up regarding this? Has he made any comments since then about looking foward to the new NHL season? Any predictions on how he'll do this year? Does his current contract expire in 2008? I'm looking for any information you've got. Thanks!

Old
09-02-2005, 12:17 PM
Taz

I'm like 99 % certain his is playing for the Rangers this season.

Old
09-02-2005, 12:41 PM
eco's bones

Jagr will be playing for the Rangers this year. How happy he will be is another question. It might be argued that some of the signings we've made-- have been with keeping his happiness in mind. Even so don't be surprised if (and I expect we will be) we are losing regularly that say by the middle of November he'll have become more of a distraction than a positive influence.

Old
09-02-2005, 01:24 PM
broadwayblue

well here's to hoping he's traded not too long after that.

Old
09-02-2005, 01:45 PM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

What's his current contract?

Old
09-02-2005, 04:08 PM
eco's bones

He's with us through 2008 and I believe there's an option for one more year through 2009---whether that's Jagr's or the Ranger's option I'm not sure. Washington is also on the hook for part of his salary for the duration (I believe) of the contract.
We're paying somewhere over 4 million. A clearer picture could be provided over at Fish's site----Outside the Garden.

Old
09-02-2005, 07:30 PM
Rodent

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
well here's to hoping he's traded not too long after that.
Why?

Old
09-02-2005, 07:37 PM
Rodent

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones
We're paying somewhere over 4 million.
We're paying about $4.8M. The caps are paying $4M. JJ's deal was grandfathered such that his total annual salary could exceed 20% of the $39M cap figure.

Old
09-02-2005, 08:30 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodent
Why?
On a rebuilding team, what is the purpose of havingh a player like Jagr. Even with his presence, I expect this team to awful, but, how is he going to take to the losing and growing pains involved in this process? If anything, his presence again might prevent this team from doing what is really necessary to move this rebuilding process along - bottom out. As bad as the Rangers have been the past seven years, they were never quite bad enough to get close enought to the top of the draft (aside from Smith's handout of assets to get Brendl.) So, the had no shot at players like Heatly, Nash, Kovalchuk, Staal, Horton, Spezza, Bouwmeester, Malkin or Ovechkin. I'm one of the fans who hopes his price tag and play will make him attractive enough to the right team (a la salary cap room and SC contender) at the trade deadline. Then, the Strakas and Ruchinskys can follow him out the door.

Old
09-03-2005, 05:04 AM
Rodent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
On a rebuilding team, what is the purpose of havingh a player like Jagr.
1) To prevent the kids from being slaughtered night in and night out. Or are you claiming that relentless beatings would accelerate their development?

I didn't hear you complain when Minnesota or Columbus hired a few veterans while they were/are developing their prospects.

2) To give something for Dolan to market to sponsors. MSG Network has taken a beating the past two years and is due for even more punishment. Without Jagr, who would Dolan use to get Budweiser, Ford, Pizza Hut, Cingular to pay decent prices for a 30-second spot?

"Here, Mr. Madison Avenue. Spend your advertising dollar on our team! We've got Darius Kasparaitis! We've got Tom Poti and Nylander and Balej and Moore and Weekes and a bunch of kids you've never seen play in the NHL before! Won't it be fun?"

Yeah, right.

There's more to say on this. But I'll do it on my rant page when I have more time. It's very late now and I've run out of gas.

Old
09-03-2005, 07:39 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
1) To prevent the kids from being slaughtered night in and night out. Or are you claiming that relentless beatings would accelerate their development?

I didn't hear you complain when Minnesota or Columbus hired a few veterans while they were/are developing their prospects.

2) To give something for Dolan to market to sponsors. MSG Network has taken a beating the past two years and is due for even more punishment. Without Jagr, who would Dolan use to get Budweiser, Ford, Pizza Hut, Cingular to pay decent prices for a 30-second spot?

"Here, Mr. Madison Avenue. Spend your advertising dollar on our team! We've got Darius Kasparaitis! We've got Tom Poti and Nylander and Balej and Moore and Weekes and a bunch of kids you've never seen play in the NHL before! Won't it be fun?"

Yeah, right.

There's more to say on this. But I'll do it on my rant page when I have more time. It's very late now and I've run out of gas.
I know that #2 is the bigger part of the reason. Afterall, there were reports that Sather tried to trade both Jagr and Holik in 2004's trade deadline selloff. As for keeping the kids from taking a beating night after night, will a disinterested Jagr do such a thing? He already showed he had no stomach for such a process in Pittsburgh. Will he be different this time? Maybe having his buddies around could change that, but, personally, I still see a lot of hardship this year even with his presence.

As for the Columbus and Minnesota comparison, why should I care about them, I follow the Rangers. And, remind me which veteran that either team acquired who is comparable to Jagr in anyway?

In regards to bringing in veteran players, I had no problem with the acquisition of Rucchin, and I liked the signings of Straka and Rucinsky, mainly due to their length. I hated the signing of Nylander, especially the size of the contract. And, I don't like the Malik contract, either.

My hope for this year is threefold - (1) seeing the first group of Ranger kids - Immonen, Prucha, Lundquist, Tyutin, Kondratiev, Balej, maybe Hollweg or Giroux either establish themselves or increase thier value as assets. Of that group, I only see Tyutin and/or Lundquist establish themselves as a core player to build around.

(2) Seeing the likes of Jessiman, Montoya, Staal and the rest of the Ranger prospect pool continue to develop and take steps forward.

(3) Seeing the likes of Straka, Ruchinsky and yes, Jagr, become valuable trade fodder for acquiring more assets at the trade deadline, while this team positions itself for a top five pick in next year's draft.

Personally in looking at this team, unless they catch lightning in a bottle, I can't see them anywhere near a playoff spot. The offense will be heavily reliant on Jagr, the defense is a mishmash of inexperience (Tyutin, Kondratiev, maybe Lampman) and incompetence (Poti and Malik), and I've never been a fan of Weekes, since I think he is FAR too inconsistent, and will likely be forced to handle too much in front of this defense.

Old
09-03-2005, 10:03 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Considering many sponsors were only interested in Msg for baseball and that will end with the Mets contract expiring Dolan will lose a lot of leverage he had in the past because he's out of major summer programming.

The sponsors they had could care less about hockey, if they sign with Msg at all it will be for the Knicks and Dolan is going to have to give them discounts to keep them. Expect Time Warner and other sports teams (Mets-Jets) to discourage them from being associated with the Garden in any way.

Quote:
When has Madison Ave ever noticed hockey aside from one Ron Duguay ad in almost thirty years? Richter and Leetch did not get any attention with the Cup in an era where baseball still had an off-season in New York. Mr Madison Avenue is not going to notice Jagr or any hockey player here.

Old
09-03-2005, 03:34 PM
shoothepuck

I expect Jagr to play in NY this season and to be traded by the deadline

Old
09-04-2005, 09:29 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck
I expect Jagr to play in NY this season and to be traded by the deadline
I have the exact same philosophy, and hoping it very much so is true.

Old
09-04-2005, 09:52 PM
puck57

Well, Madison Ave. cared about hockey when the Rangers won the Cup under Mess and then when you had Gretz in NY for a short while before he was shown the door by Neil Smith- oops I'm sorry- when he retired in '99. Other than those times, I would agree there is probably not much interest in the Rangers by advertisers in NYC. Of course if Crosby had landed in NYC who knows- probably would have had at least some interest.

Old
09-04-2005, 11:26 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG9NK35DT8
I have the exact same philosophy, and hoping it very much so is true.
Predicting this sort of thing in the old NHL was as easy as writing a blank check. But now, when you make such statements it is probably a requisite that you state not only that the player will be traded, but to whom and for what?

There is only a handful of teams that would be in the running to acquire Jaromir Jagr, even if it will be late in the season. It would be a team that would a.) be in the running for the cup b.) have to determine if a Jagr would be the piece of the missing puzzle, c.) simply be able to afford Jagr, and d.) have the necessary assets we would be interested in; players that would not uspet the balance of their team in the Cup run if they were dealt away.

I think unloading players at the deadline for anything of value will be tougher than ever.

Old
09-05-2005, 01:08 AM
Profet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakose
Predicting this sort of thing in the old NHL was as easy as writing a blank check. But now, when you make such statements it is probably a requisite that you state not only that the player will be traded, but to whom and for what?

There is only a handful of teams that would be in the running to acquire Jaromir Jagr, even if it will be late in the season. It would be a team that would a.) be in the running for the cup b.) have to determine if a Jagr would be the piece of the missing puzzle, c.) simply be able to afford Jagr, and d.) have the necessary assets we would be interested in; players that would not uspet the balance of their team in the Cup run if they were dealt away.

I think unloading players at the deadline for anything of value will be tougher than ever.
You'd be correct when speaking of any other player than Jagr.

Jagr falls under an extreme set of circumstances.

1) He is one of the most dominating players in the game.
2) He is being paid merely as an above average player (4.4 mil)

Jagr is a steal at 4.4 mill of cap space/cash. ALL playoff teams will be making offers. They'd be silly not to.

This situation probably will not happen again. Teams will pounce.

Old
09-05-2005, 02:10 AM
RoyIsALegend*

Count me in the group that thinks Jaromir Jagr at $4.4 M is EXTREMELY attractive.

Old
09-05-2005, 06:14 AM
eco's bones

The problem then becomes what would we get. From the Colorado poster that seems interested. Their 1st rounder--probably in the 20's? What else? Because this is not Rucinsky or Barnaby. It's not a good idea for us to just give him away to the highest bidder especially this season with 2 seasons to go at a pretty cheap rate.
If we're going to trade him we're going to need to get a fat return.

Old
09-05-2005, 10:00 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
Count me in the group that thinks Jaromir Jagr at $4.4 M is EXTREMELY attractive.
So, how about Ryan Stoa, Victor Oreskovich and your #1 in 2006, just to get the conversation going.

Old
09-05-2005, 10:46 AM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
I wouldn't accept anything less than a combination of two high picks / two bluechip prospects.

Old
09-05-2005, 11:24 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakose
I wouldn't accept anything less than a combination of two high picks / two bluechip prospects.
If the Rangers got the package they did from Toronto for Leetch - two of the Leafs top ten prospects, #1 and #2 - from a team dealing for Jagr, I'd be thrilled.

Old
09-05-2005, 12:02 PM
abracanada

If Jagr got his head straight over the lockout, he could be a force. I would give him a chance. All the negativity would only drag him down.

Old
09-05-2005, 07:58 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profet
You'd be correct when speaking of any other player than Jagr.

Jagr falls under an extreme set of circumstances.

1) He is one of the most dominating players in the game.
2) He is being paid merely as an above average player (4.4 mil)

Jagr is a steal at 4.4 mill of cap space/cash. ALL playoff teams will be making offers. They'd be silly not to.

This situation probably will not happen again. Teams will pounce.
Exactly. And in the new NHL, where we've been talking about the advantages of signing some the other (more mediocre) guys to one year contracts, the fact that Jagr's contract actually has additional time on it at such a reduced rate makes him even more attractive to a playoff team that expects to be back again in the year or two following. So maybe the Leafs (for example) aren't the guys for Jagr, but a Boston or a Tampa Bay could be all over him.

Old
09-06-2005, 01:12 AM
eco's bones

If we were to trade him to a playoff bound team---that team has got to be thinking his addition is going to put them over the top and at least into the finals. In addition that team then has control of Jagr at a very good rate. Just getting back say a 1st round pick--probably in the 20's is not going to be enough. We should at least get back a top 3 prospect in that organization or a very good young forward or defenseman who has already established himself.

Last edited by eco's bones: 09-06-2005 at 01:13 AM. Reason: add two words
Closed Thread