HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is Shea Weber just wasting his career/talent in Nashville?

Old
06-09-2014, 11:13 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredaDORES View Post
Just to drive the point home:

In the past 10 seasons, the Nashville Predators have made the playoffs more than the:

Buffalo Sabres
Calgary Flames
Carolina Hurricanes
Chicago Blackhawks
Colorado Avalanche
Columbus Blue Jackets
Dallas Stars
Edmonton Oilers
Florida Panthers
Los Angeles Kings
Minnesota Wild
New York Islanders
Phoenix Coyotes
St. Louis Blues
Tampa Bay Lightning
Toronto Maple Leafs
Washington Capitals
Winnipeg Jets

They have made the playoffs as many times as the:

Anaheim Ducks
Boston Bruins
New Jersey Devils
Ottawa Senators
Vancouver Canucks

There are only FIVE teams who have made the playoffs more than the Nashville Predators in the past ten seasons:

Detroit Red Wings
New York Rangers
Philadelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins
San Jose Sharks
Man this thread is just making my head hurt. This is a great post to address fallacy #1 that we rarely make the playoffs. The internal cap stuff is another fallacy at this point that has been mentioned no less than 20 times.

NSH is a pretty decent team; I certainly don't think he's wasting his career here and there are many teams where it would be even more of a waste.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 06-09-2014 at 11:18 AM. Reason: flaming
Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 11:22 AM
triggrman

vCash: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie1107 View Post
Weber is a great skater but he is not faster than Ellis. I wouldn't say Ekholm is either. Ellis didn't get as many opportunities to show his speed this season. Again, he's a terrific skater but not faster than a guy half his size. You're over-exaggerating.
This isn't the thread for this argument, so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 11:25 AM
scramble91

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagori78 View Post
Nashville has no income tax. So basically his entire salary ends up being his. Also, the cost of living in Nashville is excellent; so for non-hockey reasons, why would he want to leave?

Compare that with living in Vancouver, or Toronto. 1/3rd of his money would go straight to tax, and his cost of living, house, etc. would be triple. For me, it would be an easy decision.

Washington, Florida, and Tampa also have no income tax.

Now, players have to pay the taxes for away games; whatever the taxes are in the states or provinces they play; but there is a big financial advantage for playing for those teams home games without income tax.
I think you mean that there is only no state income tax.... So no they don't get to keep all thier money as federal taxes still apply to everyone. The no state income tax places also usually make it up by high property taxes as well. Do they save some money? Yes, but it's not nearly the amount people think it is.

scramble91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 11:29 AM
ThirdManIn
Global Moderator
Aspiring Sinecure

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scramble91 View Post
I think you mean that there is only no state income tax.... So no they don't get to keep all thier money as federal taxes still apply to everyone. The no state income tax places also usually make it up by high property taxes as well. Do they save some money? Yes, but it's not nearly the amount people think it is.
We also have a sales tax at nearly 10%.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 11:44 AM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredaDORES View Post
Just to drive the point home:

In the past 10 seasons, the Nashville Predators have made the playoffs more than the:

Buffalo Sabres
Calgary Flames
Carolina Hurricanes
Chicago Blackhawks
Colorado Avalanche
Columbus Blue Jackets
Dallas Stars
Edmonton Oilers
Florida Panthers
Los Angeles Kings
Minnesota Wild
New York Islanders
Phoenix Coyotes
St. Louis Blues
Tampa Bay Lightning
Toronto Maple Leafs
Washington Capitals
Winnipeg Jets

They have made the playoffs as many times as the:

Anaheim Ducks
Boston Bruins
New Jersey Devils
Ottawa Senators
Vancouver Canucks

There are only FIVE teams who have made the playoffs more than the Nashville Predators in the past ten seasons:

Detroit Red Wings
New York Rangers
Philadelphia Flyers
Pittsburgh Penguins
San Jose Sharks
Six. You forgot the Habs.

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 11:48 AM
triggrman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scramble91 View Post
Actually we have a higher sales tax and hotel taxes. We try to get as much out of the tourist as possible it seems.

Old
06-09-2014, 12:07 PM
PredsV82
Polishing Turds

vCash: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
Actually you're probably right about that. Whether he wanted to stay there or not is irrelevant. He wanted the money most of all.

Still, it was fairly obvious that he wanted out. The animosity was well documented. There was that rocky arbitration the year before the offer sheet, the numerous rumours that he was distraught after Suter left, and his agent did say in a radio interview during the offer sheet that Shea was inclined to leave.

I'm sure there was a mega-dollar deal that he rejected from Nashville before he signed the offer sheet, although not quite as front loaded I'm sure.

It was definitely not all rosy apart from a few extra dollars that he squeezed out, but it's not quite as negative as some imagine it to be either. Like I said, he had to have been comfortable with staying since that's how offer sheets work.

*citation needed... I think you are making this up... if he really wanted out he could have easily just demanded a trade

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 12:11 PM
triggrman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
*citation needed... I think you are making this up... if he really wanted out he could have easily just demanded a trade
In fact I'm willing to bet Poile addressed this with Weber before matching the deal. Poile has never been one to keep a player that didn't want to be here, even Radulov was giving the option of staying in Russia or Poile trading his rights away, Erat and Arnott are 2 other examples, although Arnott's was a mutual decision with Trotz, Poile and Arnott.

Old
06-09-2014, 12:13 PM
Swarez

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagori78 View Post
Nashville has no income tax. So basically his entire salary ends up being his. Also, the cost of living in Nashville is excellent; so for non-hockey reasons, why would he want to leave?

Compare that with living in Vancouver, or Toronto. 1/3rd of his money would go straight to tax, and his cost of living, house, etc. would be triple. For me, it would be an easy decision.

Washington, Florida, and Tampa also have no income tax.

Now, players have to pay the taxes for away games; whatever the taxes are in the states or provinces they play; but there is a big financial advantage for playing for those teams home games without income tax.
He pays 39.6% of his income over 400K to the federal government. And about 30% to the amount under that.

Swarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 01:33 PM
Filip Forceberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanAjax View Post
Six. You forgot the Habs.
Je suis désolé!

Filip Forceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 01:59 PM
ThirdManIn
Global Moderator
Aspiring Sinecure

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Weber's agent started spouting off about how Weber wanted to play in Philly (to the Philly media) and it turned into this whole "Weber wants out" crap that is two years old and all but disproven. When Weber says something to the Nashville media about being happy here it's just another example of the athlete saying all of the right things, but when an agent starts talking about Weber wanting to play in Philly it's evidence of him wanting out of Nashville. Because we all know agents are trustworthy when they speak and absolutely always tell the truth, but athletes are only saying the right things when they speak.

Old
06-09-2014, 02:44 PM
MoreOrr
B4

The OP is like indirectly asking if the NHL is wasting it's time in Nashville.

What do you mean "wasting his career"? Wasting his time if he's hoping to be on a Cup winner? You mean, like Sundin in Toronto, or Bourque in Boston. Hey, Weber could do the same as Bourque and go to high Cup potential team in his final Season; will he have "wasted his career" then, if he ends it with a Cup?

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 02:53 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Weber's agent started spouting off about how Weber wanted to play in Philly (to the Philly media) and it turned into this whole "Weber wants out" crap that is two years old and all but disproven. When Weber says something to the Nashville media about being happy here it's just another example of the athlete saying all of the right things, but when an agent starts talking about Weber wanting to play in Philly it's evidence of him wanting out of Nashville. Because we all know agents are trustworthy when they speak and absolutely always tell the truth, but athletes are only saying the right things when they speak.
At this point, I view anything Weber says as apathy.

Snotbubbles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 02:55 PM
deckercky

vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyYourTheDevils View Post
There seems to be some perception that Nashville has been a bad hockey team since the lockout. Not sure where this is coming from, as they have easily been in the top 15 (arguably top 10-12) teams over the last 10 years.
I agree with top 15 in general, but I think not making conference finals is a big knock against the team.

20 teams since the lockout have made the conference finals at least once.
13 teams since the lockout have made the stanley cup finals at least once.
7 teams since the lockout have won a stanley cup at least once.

I can see ranking Nashville over some of those conference finals teams, they can't be considered to be better than the Stanley Cup finalists if you're looking at post 2005 lockout success (and yes, I know that metric ranks Edmonton above Nashville).

Going on one good run does a lot for a team's perception as a contender (unless we're talking about San Jose - they never get credit in spite of making several good runs to the conference finals).

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 02:58 PM
Maj. Conn Smythe

Nashville is a fine situation for players in the NHL. They have a great town, great music, and good taxes on income.

The fact is; Predators ownership acknowledges that some change and re-tooling is needed to get over the second round playoff hump.

There are 30 teams in the NHL and each one is changing their rosters trying to improve each year. One team out of 30 has a chance to make an impact to their roster and try to push for the Stanley Cup.

It will take time for the Predators to get there, but they are moving forward and looking at all avenues right now. Weber is not wasting his time, it simply is a process that each team goes through and eventually the TEAM will get there, not just Weber alone.

1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 03:13 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 134
This is a pretty offensive thread for Nashville fans IMO. Especially coming from a Jets fan where we deal with the same crap about people not ever wanting to play for our team.

Flair Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 03:40 PM
ThirdManIn
Global Moderator
Aspiring Sinecure

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
At this point, I view anything Weber says as apathy.
Why? Because Nashville did what they said they would do and matched an offer sheet? His performance on the ice doesn't seem particularly apathetic.

Old
06-09-2014, 05:14 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Why? Because Nashville did what they said they would do and matched an offer sheet? His performance on the ice doesn't seem particularly apathetic.
I wouldn't expect a professional's on-ice performance to show their apathy. Example: Jeff Carter, who I personally know didn't want to go to Columbus and forced his way out, still performed well when he stepped on the ice for the Blue Jackets. That doesn't mean he wasn't apathetic about being in Ohio.

Snotbubbles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 05:19 PM
ThirdManIn
Global Moderator
Aspiring Sinecure

Awards:
OK so his performance on the ice + the actual words he has spoken + the fact that not a single credible rumor or report has said he is looking out + signing a 14 year long deal after the organization repeated over and over again that they would match any off sheet = he must be fine here.

Old
06-09-2014, 05:41 PM
Filip Forceberg

Quote:
I wouldn't expect a professional's on-ice performance to show their apathy. Example: Jeff Carter, who I personally know didn't want to go to Columbus and forced his way out, still performed well when he stepped on the ice for the Blue Jackets. That doesn't mean he wasn't apathetic about being in Ohio.
Shea Weber was drafted by Nashville. He's been here his whole career. Nashville has helped turn him into the best defenseman in the NHL. It's quite a different story.

Filip Forceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 08:53 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flair Hay View Post
This is a pretty offensive thread for Nashville fans IMO. Especially coming from a Jets fan where we deal with the same crap about people not ever wanting to play for our team.
I swear if this was "Is Taylor Hall just wasting his career/talent in Edmonton?" or "Is Phil Kessel just wasting...in Toronto?" This thread would either be at page 40+ or would have been locked five hours ago. The thread is almost synonymous with "Why haven't the Nashville Predators been contracted?"

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 09:13 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Maybe we should MAKE 29 threads that say "Is <star player of team> just wasting his career/talent in <team city>?" for each team. See which ones get locked fastest. (My money is one Crosby/Pittsburgh and Kessel/Toronto.)

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 09:53 PM
ThirdManIn
Global Moderator
Aspiring Sinecure

Awards:
Guys seriously, if you don't like the thread just ignore it. Complaining about the thread in the thread is the wrong way to go about it. I don't like the topic any more than the rest of you all, but the OP had a legitimate question.

And please don't start creating revenge threads for players on every other team.

Old
06-09-2014, 10:14 PM
triggrman

Quote:
Exactly. If Weber wanted out he would have forced his way out by now.

Old
06-12-2014, 05:28 AM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Predators GM: Shea Weber is not available.

</thread>

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote