HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is Shea Weber just wasting his career/talent in Nashville?

Old
06-14-2014, 12:32 PM
Solefool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacanuck View Post
i'm sure whenever shea checks his bank account he doesn't feel like he's wasting his career/talent in nashville.
If that's all he's about...

Solefool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 12:34 PM
carolinacanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solefool View Post
that's all most nhl players are about.

they play to get paid.

i know every player is different, but if i was in the nhl i'd request a trade to florida so i could collect my millions tax free and spend my off-days on my boat. i'd feel like a long playoff run would cramp my style.

but that's just me lol

carolinacanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 01:17 PM
Wrong Box Legwand

Quote:
Originally Posted by icKx View Post
What do you expect him to say? "I hate it here, and, by the way, country music sucks."

Didn't Suter give the same lines right before he bolted?

And there's no wishful thinking on my part. We don't have the pieces to trade for Weber, so I'm just fine with him in Nashville where he's no threat to Detroit.
He doesn't have to say "I hate it here." He can just say "I want a trade." And he hasn't. Everyone knows the situation with Suter. He strung them along so he could pick his team.

I love how people say non-playoff team and not a threat like Nashville rarely makes the playoffs and has always been some basement dwelling team, and have never had a good roster or a shot at the cup, especially since Weber has been on the roster. It says a lot about your credibility.

Wrong Box Legwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 01:21 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacanuck View Post
that's all most nhl players are about.

they play to get paid.

i know every player is different, but if i was in the nhl i'd request a trade to florida so i could collect my millions tax free and spend my off-days on my boat. i'd feel like a long playoff run would cramp my style.

but that's just me lol
That's also why you would never become NHL-player. It takes commitment.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 01:26 PM
Bobby G
Weber's Better

vCash: 75
Nashville's D and goaltending are good enough to contend for a cup. Their forwards are a different story, it will be interesting to see how they develop. As they have had a mini rebuild up front since they last made the playoffs

gone: Erat, Legwand, Kostitsyn x2, Ward, Radulov.

They have some young forwards that really fly under the radar but could come together similarly to the way Columbus' forwards did this year.

Guys like Craig Smith, Colin Wilson, Calle Jarnkrok and Filip Forsberg could easily accomplish an offense by committee like Ryan Johansen, Boone Jenner, Atkinson, Anisimov, Foligno, etc did in Columbus.

Bobby G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 01:50 PM
icKx
Vanek 4 Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilodon View Post
He doesn't have to say "I hate it here." He can just say "I want a trade." And he hasn't. Everyone knows the situation with Suter. He strung them along so he could pick his team.

I love how people say non-playoff team and not a threat like Nashville rarely makes the playoffs and has always been some basement dwelling team, and have never had a good roster or a shot at the cup, especially since Weber has been on the roster. It says a lot about your credibility.
Suter was going to pick his team regardless, same with Parise. It just proves players are full of it. Much like politicians they say what they have to.

Without a NTC / NMC Weber has no say in where he goes so he's very unlikely to publicly demand a trade. The only guys who say 'I want out' have control over their fate, like Spezza.

And I say not a threat because barring a Finals matchup, we don't have to deal with Weber anymore.

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 06:10 PM
Gnashville
Hated Sixer!

Quote:
I have no vested interest whatsoever in what Weber wants. Why would I wishfully think he wants out?

Nashville fans are the ones with the wishful thinking that Weber will remain content spending the prime years of his career on a nonplayoff team.

It would be a damn shame if one of the most talented defensemen in the league wasted his prime grooming Seth Jones instead of competing for cups.
What part of "the Predators missed the playoffs by 3 freaking points with 2 AHL goalies" do people not understand. Even with the worst offense in the league they were right there when Rinne got healthy. People treating the franchise like it is Edmonton is getting annoying.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 08:33 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Edmonton WANTS to be like us.

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 08:42 PM
AlowlyMcOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
Edmonton WANTS to be like us.
Should just combine both our teams and play half of the home games in each arena.

AlowlyMcOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 11:48 PM
Gnashville
Hated Sixer!

Has this thread ran it's course yet? I am sick of reading the Nashville hate and revised history. Only one person knows for sure if Weber likes playing here, and he signed a contract knowing full well he could be here for 14 years. If he does not like it tuff he's obliged to play here or retire.

Old
06-15-2014, 08:24 AM
Solefool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
and he signed a contract knowing full well he could be here for 14 years.
He signed an offer sheet with another team. His agent was throwing out a bunch of propaganda to try to dissuade Nashville from matching. Do you honestly think Weber was hoping for the Preds to match?

Last edited by Solefool: 06-15-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old
06-15-2014, 08:31 AM
Yeaoh

Yeah I am sure he is crying himself to sleep every night with all the money he is making.

My guess is he likes it there. Otherwise he would have forced a trade. He makes a lot of cash, doesn't face pressure from a rabbit media or the fans and he is "the guy" on his team who gets to mentor some very talented D man like Jones, Josi or Ellis. I think he understands that they are building something in NSH and they are still a few years away from contending. Meanwhile he will enjoy his monthly salary.

Yeaoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 08:56 AM
Predsrule

Quote:
He signed an offer sheet with another team. His agent was throwing out a bunch of propaganda to try to dissuade Nashville from matching. Do you honestly think Weber was hoping for the Preds to match?
Weber is here long term he says it our gm says it.. Weber always says how he loves it here at charity events.. And b4 you say what do I expect him to say. Well i expect someone who doesn't want to be here to not be investing in the community at all. And just to simply be playing and not saying anything good or bad. Thankfully he is not doing that. So I think my weber jersey is safe.

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 09:47 AM
Gnashville
Hated Sixer!

Quote:
And other people have not signed offer sheets and been retained? Look at the timeline of his signing the offer. He had no offer from the Predators, because Poile was busy trying to resign $uter, and left him on the back burner. He wanted a long term offer and got it from Philly. He certainly is not acting like a player that wants out. He has not demanded a trade, been a malcontent in the locker room, and his play on the ice is worthy of the Norris and Hart trophies.

Old
06-15-2014, 09:53 AM
Mr Positive
Stanley Cup or bust

vCash: 655
If Nashville is wasting Weber, then it would also be fair to say that Pittsburgh is wasting Crosby

Mr Positive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 10:02 AM
ThirdManIn
Global Moderator
Aspiring Sinecure

Awards:
Quote:
Because he was also given a letter informing him that Nashville will absolutely not win while he is playing there, right?

Professional athletes all want to win it. That may not be entirely accurate, but I'd say it's close enough to being correct. They also play for money.

Winning is not guaranteed. Often enough teams earn a win, but they don't get it. Money is guaranteed.

To enjoy one doesn't mean you don't care about the other. Bad argument.

Quote:
What does it matter what he was "hoping"? None of us know, so you can go ahead and shelve that. Otherwise, I can just as easily come back with "he was obviously hoping Nashville would match the offer sheet. If not, he would have just taken a short-term deal which took him to UFA status." I mean, that has equal amounts of proof, right?

In reality, he signed an offer sheet knowing that the only places he would be playing for 14 years (short of a trade) would either be Philly or Nashville. He did this after the Predators said time and again they would match any offer sheets. Remember, this wasn't the first time Nashville had to go through the litany of offer sheet questions. Before going to arbitration the year before, Weber was exposed to offer sheets. For two full years the Predators maintained that they would match any offer sheet.

Exaggeration is a useful tool often enough, but its effectiveness is dramatically lessened when you are speaking to a group of people who have been very much involved for a number of years.

06-15-2014, 10:14 AM
Wrong Box Legwand

You really think Weber thought they couldn't handle that contract after missing out on Suter? What an asinine argument. He knows his team's financial situation. Poile told him they would match any offer sheet, and Weber signed it with that in mind.

Old
06-15-2014, 10:24 AM
ThirdManIn
Global Moderator
Aspiring Sinecure

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilodon View Post
You really think Weber thought they couldn't handle that contract after missing out on Suter? What an asinine argument. He knows his team's financial situation. Poile told him they would match any offer sheet, and Weber signed it with that in mind.
It should be noted that management had set aside money to try to bring in Parise on top of retaining Weber and Suter. Obviously that didn't work, but the money was there.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 11:08 AM
Solefool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
If Nashville is wasting Weber, then it would also be fair to say that Pittsburgh is wasting Crosby
This is a horrible parallel. Pittsburgh has been in the playoffs every year after Crosby's rookie year. Nashville is coming off back-to-back seasons out of the postseason since matching the offersheet to Weber.

Old
06-15-2014, 11:19 AM
kooma 13

Well there has always been and will always be ton of players who goes to "waste" in their teams. Not just weber.

kooma 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 11:25 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

The Preds are trying to stay/be competitive, the problem is they spent all their offseason money on 3rd/4th liners last season and their second best player suffered a series of freak setbacks.

struckbyaparkedcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 04:09 PM
Wrong Box Legwand

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
The Preds are trying to stay/be competitive, the problem is they spent all their offseason money on 3rd/4th liners last season and their second best player suffered a series of freak setbacks.
Pretty much. Trotz hand picked all of those guys. He saw our lack of offense and thought Cullen, Hendricks, and Nystrom were the answers. Now, we have Laviolette and I don't for see us making similar moves anymore. Ownership has said they will spend to improve the team, so we're hopeful for this offseason.

Old
06-15-2014, 06:18 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
He did this after the Predators said time and again they would match any offer sheets.

For two full years the Predators maintained that they would match any offer sheet.
This is the point that people don't seem to get for some reason. Nashville was always going to match any offer sheet. If either Weber or his agent didn't believe this, then they're just flat out stupid.

I remember the day he signed the offer sheet, getting on here thanking Philly for signing him for us.

The dude just wanted a gigantic payday before the CBA outlawed contracts like that. I'm sure he would have been happy to get it from a # of teams.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 06:27 PM
NeedleInTheHay

Quote:
This is a horrible parallel. Pittsburgh has been in the playoffs every year after Crosby's rookie year. Nashville is coming off back-to-back seasons out of the postseason since matching the offersheet to Weber.
Not too mention that little silver cup he won

NeedleInTheHay is online now   Reply With Quote