HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is Shea Weber just wasting his career/talent in Nashville?

Old
06-06-2014, 03:12 PM
Trottier
Very Random

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
Well that's stupid, who does Nashville have outside of Weber? Kopitar is an elite center, Doughty is an elite defenseman. Weber is just by himself.
I'll let you be the arbiter of who's opinions are "stupid", apparently you are qualified (or self appointed). Will simply point out that those critics had the Kings unimpressive on ice results at that point in time to back up their claim.

This thread reeks of myopic boorish fandom. As in: "my team is bestest and I get to decide which franchises are relevant and which aren't."

Time to exit stage right.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 03:13 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Rinne, Josi, Jones, and a new head coach to develop Smith, Wilson, Forsberg, Jarnkrok, etc. Oh and considering Ellis and Ekholm both took huge strides forward last season, Weber could be the anchor to the best blueline in the league within a season or two.

It's funny how people will harp on how Weber has nothing whenever it's convenient, but, as we have seen in the past, as soon as people start to compliment the guy we have the usual suspects coming out to tell us how he gets to play in front of Rinne, or next to Josi, or how good his blueline is and, up until now, "Trotz's defensive system"
That's a whole lot of maybes. And Ifs.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 03:15 PM
KovalSNIPE

Nashville's gonna get much better in the next year or two. Good prospects coming up about to be NHL ready like Jarnkrok, a healthy Rinne, Jones has more experience (hopefully no slump), and having Laviolette as a coach which I believe was absolutely the best choice for that team. He'll bring more offense while keeping a solid defensive system.

KovalSNIPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 03:17 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
I'll let you be the arbiter of who's opinions are "stupid", apparently you are qualified (or self appointed). Will simply point out that those critics had the Kings unimpressive on ice results at that point in time to back up their claim.

This thread reeks of myopic boorish fandom. As in: "my team is bestest and I get to decide which franchises are relevant and which aren't."

Time to exit stage right.
Our team was severely underperforming, what kind of logic are you using? I don't think you understand the difference from the Kings before 2012 and the Preds recently.

Old
06-06-2014, 03:18 PM
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Healthy Rinne and maybe one or two more offensive weapons Nashville is a playoff team
And a dark horse for the cup imo. They just need some proven fire power up front.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 03:19 PM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
As other posters have said, Nashville trading him would be beneficial for both team and Weber.

KingWantsCup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 03:20 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Our team was severely underperforming, what kind of logic are you using? I don't think you understand the difference from the Kings before 2012 and the Preds recently.
No I understand it fully, probably as much, if not more so than you, actually.

I was not one of those people pre-2012 who was claiming the Kings were a vast wasteland. It would have been silly, not to mention boorish and arrogant.

Just as it is now when someone says same about Nashville. Doesn't matter that the Preds do not currently possess a Kopitar, etc. on their roster.

That's my entire point. You need not agree, but hopefully, it clears things up.

Old
06-06-2014, 03:23 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
In the last two years our teams entire top 6 aside from Legwand was injured for most of the season, and this year our Vezina candidate missed 50+ games. If you can use excuse for your team, we can pull the same card.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 03:23 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
No I understand it fully, probably as much, if not more so than you, actually.

I was not one of those people pre-2012 who was claiming the Kings were a vast wasteland. It would have been silly, not to mention boorish and arrogant.

Just as it is now when someone says same abut Nashville. Doesn't matter that the Preds do not currently possess a Kopitar, etc. on their roster.

That's my entire point.
Lol good for you, a lot of people weren't saying that either.

And it sorta matters if they want to win a cup. You don't win the Cup by having a lot of what ifs and maybes on your forward line.

Old
06-06-2014, 03:24 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
In the last two years our teams entire top 6 aside from Legwand was injured for most of the season, and this year our Vezina candidate missed 50+ games. If you can use excuse for your team, we can pull the same card.
That's still a lot of question marks.

Old
06-06-2014, 03:24 PM
Filip Forceberg

Quote:
Well that's stupid, who does Nashville have outside of Weber? Kopitar is an elite center, Doughty is an elite defenseman. Weber is just by himself.
Pekka Rinne, Roman Josi, and Seth Jones all say hello.

Filip Forceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 03:25 PM
Virtanev
+

vCash: 50
Quote:
How quickly we forget.

Prior to the spring of 2012, some were saying the same about Kopitar, Doughty, Brown, et al in LA. Bet you loved that.

Irony.
Anze Kopitar was 24, Drew Doughty was 22. Far from an app comparison.

OP Genasis: have you guys thought people are starting to get tired of Team Curl's antics? 21:56

Virtanev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 03:25 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
That's still a lot of question marks.
Well, it's good that we have Weber for another decade isn't it.

Old
06-06-2014, 03:26 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
That's a whole lot of maybes. And Ifs.
Just like every team has, right? So I guess maybe if Weber decides he wants out then he might fall into a better situation, if that better team offers the best package. Keep in mind that Weber is locked up for the rest of his career, and he has no say in where he ends up in the event he wants out. So if a team that has mired at the bottom of the league for a long time now ponies up more than, say, a Chicago or LA, which is entirely reasonable since bottom dwellers are more likely to be willing to part with pieces contenders would rather keep, then what good does it do Weber? After all, Nashville was three points out of the play offs at the end of the season after missing their goalie for most of the season (I believe that has been said several times, but I like to drive a point home). If his talent and career is being wasted on a team like that, what happens if he ends up on a perpetual bottom dweller (who just gave up multiple valuable pieces in a trade to obtain him to begin with)?

Please, just give it up. Nashville is a better team than a lot of people in here are giving them credit for being, though I'm hardly surprised. Between Nashville being an oft-ignored "non-traditional market" and the difficulty of erasing incorrect-but-popular thought, it's to be expected that users would try to find any reason at all to prove their point that the best player in Nashville should be removed from the equation right in the middle of a major transition.

Why wait to see what happens with the new look and philosophy? That's silly! Just expect more of the same, and give up on the team that drafted you, developed you and has paid you millions upon millions of dollars.

Luckily, Weber thinks differently from that.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 03:27 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Well, it's good that we have Weber for another decade isn't it.
Yeah must be great that Weber is only a couple years away from 30.

Old
06-06-2014, 03:29 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:

Now that's a concern!

Yep, 30 is old! Especially for an elite NHL dman!

Got to love the insufferable HF ageism.

Last edited by Trottier: 06-06-2014 at 03:34 PM. Reason: deleted quote/reply
Old
06-06-2014, 03:31 PM
Filip Forceberg

Quote:
Lol good for you, a lot of people weren't saying that either.

And it sorta matters if they want to win a cup. You don't win the Cup by having a lot of what ifs and maybes on your forward line.
Nashville won't be winning a cup this year, sure. But those "what ifs/maybes" damn well may help them win one in the next few years, in the same way that Toffoli, Pearson, Muzzin, and Voynov are helping the Kings win one now.

The next few years are very bright for Nashville with Jones, Jarnkrok, Forsberg, Aberg, etc. being integrated to the core of Weber, Josi, and Rinne.

Old
06-06-2014, 03:31 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
A couple years, that's just enough time to develop our forwards, by then our defense corps will be amazing.

You do realize a lot of defenseman hit their prime in their 30's, especially those I Weber's quality, right?

Old
06-06-2014, 03:32 PM
Filip Forceberg

Quote:
I guess you wouldn't have wanted Lidstrom on your team when he won a Norris trophy in his FORTIES. Give me a break, dude.

Old
06-06-2014, 03:36 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Just like every team has, right? So I guess maybe if Weber decides he wants out then he might fall into a better situation, if that better team offers the best package. Keep in mind that Weber is locked up for the rest of his career, and he has no say in where he ends up in the event he wants out. So if a team that has mired at the bottom of the league for a long time now ponies up more than, say, a Chicago or LA, which is entirely reasonable since bottom dwellers are more likely to be willing to part with pieces contenders would rather keep, then what good does it do Weber? After all, Nashville was three points out of the play offs at the end of the season after missing their goalie for most of the season (I believe that has been said several times, but I like to drive a point home). If his talent and career is being wasted on a team like that, what happens if he ends up on a perpetual bottom dweller (who just gave up multiple valuable pieces in a trade to obtain him to begin with)?

Please, just give it up. Nashville is a better team than a lot of people in here are giving them credit for being, though I'm hardly surprised. Between Nashville being an oft-ignored "non-traditional market" and the difficulty of erasing incorrect-but-popular thought, it's to be expected that users would try to find any reason at all to prove their point that the best player in Nashville should be removed from the equation right in the middle of a major transition.

Why wait to see what happens with the new look and philosophy? That's silly! Just expect more of the same, and give up on the team that drafted you, developed you and has paid you millions upon millions of dollars.

Luckily, Weber thinks differently from that.
Im glad you think so. There's a reason why the Kings and the Hawks met in the WCF finals again.

You see how important it is to have 1C 1D 1G.

I can be wrong, but it's not crazy to think that the Preds will do bad next year. No legitimate contender would pony up for Weber.

The Kings and Preds are very different. We have very good offense now, really good defense, and a very good goalie.

The part the Rangers have a huge questionmark at is right at that little thing called offense for me.

Old
06-06-2014, 03:37 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredaDORES View Post
I guess you wouldn't have wanted Lidstrom on your team when he won a Norris trophy in his FORTIES. Give me a break, dude.
I didn't know Weber was Lidstrom. Lidstrom is very different than Weber.

Old
06-06-2014, 03:39 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
A couple years, that's just enough time to develop our forwards, by then our defense corps will be amazing.

You do realize a lot of defenseman hit their prime in their 30's, especially those I Weber's quality, right?
Im talking about the end of his contract he will be close to his 40's. Im not calling him old now. He said he's signed for a decade, and he's 28.

You know not all forwards always reach their potential right?

Old
06-06-2014, 03:43 PM
Filip Forceberg

Quote:
It's like arguing with a brick wall. Honestly.

The point is that skilled players can continue to be highly valuable well into their late 30's / early 40's.

Old
06-06-2014, 03:45 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Ok, what about Pronger, who played some of his best hockey as a 30-35 year old, Weber is more like him than Lidstrom?

Old
06-06-2014, 03:46 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredaDORES View Post
It's like arguing with a brick wall. Honestly.

The point is that skilled players can continue to be highly valuable well into their late 30's / early 40's.
Not really. Depends on what kind of player you were in your career. Highly skilled players that didn't play a physical game can last that long.