HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is Shea Weber just wasting his career/talent in Nashville?

Old
06-06-2014, 03:47 PM
KingKopitar11*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Ok, what about Pronger, who played some of his best hockey as a 30-35 year old, Weber is more like him than Lidstrom?
Anomaly. There's not many prongers in the league for a reason.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 03:48 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
Im glad you think so. There's a reason why the Kings and the Hawks met in the WCF finals again.

You see how important it is to have 1C 1D 1G.

I can be wrong, but it's not crazy to think that the Preds will do bad next year. No legitimate contender would pony up for Weber.

The Kings and Preds are very different. We have very good offense now, really good defense, and a very good goalie.

The part the Rangers have a huge questionmark at is right at that little thing called offense for me.
Unless Rinne is out for an extended period of time, we will not be a terrible team, we almost made the playoffs with two Ahl goalies and three horrible games of Devan Dubnyk most of the year.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 03:49 PM
KingKopitar11*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Unless Rinne is out for an extended period of time, we will not be a terrible team, we almost made the playoffs with two Ahl goalies and three horrible games of Devan Dubnyk most of the year.
Im not saying your team is terrible. You guys can make the playoffs maybe. But contenders? No. Playoff team? Maybe, who knows, Depends on next season. But cup contenders is a pretty huge stretch.

Old
06-06-2014, 03:51 PM
ThirdManIn
Global Moderator
Aspiring Sinecure

Awards:
Quote:
Im glad you think so. There's a reason why the Kings and the Hawks met in the WCF finals again.

You see how important it is to have 1C 1D 1G.

I can be wrong, but it's not crazy to think that the Preds will do bad next year. No legitimate contender would pony up for Weber.

The Kings and Preds are very different. We have very good offense now, really good defense, and a very good goalie.

The part the Rangers have a huge questionmark at is right at that little thing called offense for me.
What does any of this have to do with anything? Teams need a 1C, 1D and 1G, so the Preds should trade away their 1D? All they lack is a 1C, and that doesn't even have to be an elite player as long as the forward corps has some sort of depth. Next.

The Kings and Preds are very different? OK? Yes, one is playing for a Cup. The other hasn't played since April. This has absolutely nothing to do with the thread or what I posted. And the Rangers? Seriously, take that stuff to the play off forum because we don't need that spilling over into this thread.

What I was saying was simple. The Preds do have a lot of ifs and maybes in terms of young forwards. Maybe they pan out. Maybe they don't. You were acting as if the Preds are the only team with that. LA wouldn't trade for him because it would make no sense. Same for Chicago. Same for NYR. And Boston. Pittsburgh might, but I doubt they can/would match an offer (short of using Malkin or Crosby) made by a team who knows what they have has only led to the bottom, or close to it. So yes, there are a lot of maybes and ifs in Nashville. That may be concerning for Weber, but he hasn't even hinted at it if it is.

You know what? There are a lot of maybes and ifs no matter what, so using them exclusively to strengthen your argument that Weber should get out isn't going to work.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 03:53 PM
Filip Forceberg

Quote:
Im talking about the end of his contract he will be close to his 40's. Im not calling him old now. He said he's signed for a decade, and he's 28.

You know not all forwards always reach their potential right?
Are you seriously asking a Nashville fan that question? Of course we know to lower our expectations with forwards.

You're obviously familiar with that feeling as well with those 1st round gems such as Lauri Tukonen, Jens Karlsson, and Matt Zultek.

Filip Forceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 03:53 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Im not saying your team is terrible. You guys can make the playoffs maybe. But contenders? No. Playoff team? Maybe, who knows, Depends on next season. But cup contenders is a pretty huge stretch.
Most of us preds fans don't think we'll be a contenders for at least a year or two. By the time we get our forwards together Weber will still be young, which is ehy this thread makes no sense to someone who even remotely follows Nashville.

Old
06-06-2014, 03:57 PM
KingKopitar11*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
What does any of this have to do with anything? Teams need a 1C, 1D and 1G, so the Preds should trade away their 1D? All they lack is a 1C, and that doesn't even have to be an elite player as long as the forward corps has some sort of depth. Next.

The Kings and Preds are very different? OK? Yes, one is playing for a Cup. The other hasn't played since April. This has absolutely nothing to do with the thread or what I posted. And the Rangers? Seriously, take that stuff to the play off forum because we don't need that spilling over into this thread.

What I was saying was simple. The Preds do have a lot of ifs and maybes in terms of young forwards. Maybe they pan out. Maybe they don't. You were acting as if the Preds are the only team with that. LA wouldn't trade for him because it would make no sense. Same for Chicago. Same for NYR. And Boston. Pittsburgh might, but I doubt they can/would match an offer (short of using Malkin or Crosby) made by a team who knows what they have has only led to the bottom, or close to it. So yes, there are a lot of maybes and ifs in Nashville. That may be concerning for Weber, but he hasn't even hinted at it if it is.

You know what? There are a lot of maybes and ifs no matter what, so using them exclusively to strengthen your argument that Weber should get out isn't going to work.
Not really on that, you can't have a decent number one center and expect to go far in the west. See Chicago.

This isn't the East? The west has a lot of top quality teams.

And yes a lot of what if's and maybes, so lets not pretend that it's a sure thing they will be a lot better for years to come.

Who said anything about the Rangers...

Old
06-06-2014, 03:57 PM
Mr Positive
just fix it, Chia

vCash: 1255
From a Nashville perspective I'm sure they value having Weber to stabilize the team through this rough period. If you are defining it as a league-wide thing, then yes he is being wasted. During the playoffs, more people get interested in hockey and Weber would be a great player to sell the game to all of NA in general. Weber is the best in the league at what he does so it's definitely a treat to see.

Mr Positive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 03:58 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

In this thread, I've learned that Weber's career is practically over, because he's just a couple of years away from being 30.

I remember when people were saying that D-men generally peak fairly late in their career, and until you were closing in on 35-40, you weren't really considered old in hockey.

Romang67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 04:00 PM
Tapu Debe
DBU

vCash: 464
Quote:
Just saying, no one expected the Rangers to make it to the SCF this year, but here they are. The Cup contending New York Rangers. The Predators could be that team one year.

Tapu Debe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 04:01 PM
Ivanko

Well, I think the 14M dollars he earns every year will help him sleep a little better.

Ivanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 04:02 PM
KingKopitar11*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBU View Post
Just saying, no one expected the Rangers to make it to the SCF this year, but here they are. The Cup contending New York Rangers. The Predators could be that team one year.
East isn't as good as good as they used to be. Your playoff path is through the west. So you need to get through the west. Unless you guys jump into the East. That will be a whole other story.

Old
06-06-2014, 04:04 PM
ThirdManIn
Global Moderator
Aspiring Sinecure

Awards:
Quote:
Again, what does this have to do with anything? You're just derailing a thread now to brag about how good the Kings are.

The question is simple. Is Shea Weber just wasting his career/talent in Nashville. Once again, Weber just had a career year. Obviously his talents have grown during his time in Nashville, so he is not wasting his talent here. He is increasing it.

He signed an offer sheet that he at least reasonably believed would be matched by Nashville. A 14 year long offer sheet. At the age of 28. It's a career-contract. If he thought staying in Nashville was a waste of his career he wouldn't have signed that deal, gone to UFA a year later and picked the team he wanted to go to.

It has nothing to do with the Kings. It has nothing to do with being contenders. It has to do with an elite player being OK with where he is right now, wanting to improve his team and wanting to be the guy who leads them to a spot as a contender. Try all you want to come up with reasons/excuses as to why he should bolt, but so far all of the actual evidence is not in your favor.

People often forget that, though the Predators were bounced in the second round by a red-hot Mike Smith, they were contenders not that long ago. It seemed like every Western play off team was up in arms about Nashville being allowed to bring back one of their poached players (Radulov). That team finished 11 spots ahead of the Kings overall, 21 spots ahead of LA in total offense, 8 spots below in total defense (still top ten in the league), 16 spots ahead of LA in PP%, and 6 spots below in PK% (still top ten in the league).

At the time the play offs started the Kings weren't on anyone's radar, and Nashville had just added Radulov, AK and Gill to a team which was already top ten in all of the above mentioned team stats.

You want to talk about "maybes" and "ifs." Maybe if the right team turns it on at the right time they can go from eighth seed with no expectations to hoisting the Cup. Pulling this "contender" card is just silly coming from a Kings fan. If anyone should realize just how little being a "contender" can matter, it should be you.

Nothing is absolute. Not Weber's commitment to Nashville, and not his inability to win it all if he sticks it out. However, signs point to him wanting to dance with the one who brought him.

Old
06-06-2014, 04:06 PM
Tapu Debe
DBU

vCash: 464
Quote:
East isn't as good as good as they used to be. Your playoff path is through the west. So you need to get through the west. Unless you guys jump into the East. That will be a whole other story.
Well I'm not a Preds fan so you don't need to talk directly to me but this "west is best" mentality is getting really old. Yes, it's a tough conference to play in, but what's to say that there isn't a year where LA and Chicago suffer early exits in the playoffs? Well then it's pretty wide open. I think a healthy Predators team can compete with most teams in the West if they add a bit more firepower.

Tapu Debe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ThirdManIn
Global Moderator
Aspiring Sinecure

Awards:
Quote:
Who said anything about the Rangers...
You did:

Quote:

And it's coming across as wanting to turn this thread into something it's not, so how about we just leave the current topic as is?

Old
Gormo
Holupchi

It was puzzling that he ended up staying in Nashville and eating such a massive portion of salary cap.

I understand most players want to stay in one place their entire careers and all, but in this case you gotta sacrifice what you might have had in the open market, and to match the highest offer was insanity.

For both Nashville and Weber, I never fully understood this one. Perhaps there were other details I was not aware of.

Gormo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 04:07 PM
aufheben
Global Moderator
#RIPClendening

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0220 View Post
Seeing Drew Doughty, Duncan Keith and Ryan McDonagh(to a lesser extent) all doing so well in playoffs, is Shea Weber just wasting his talents in Nashville? They rarely make the playoffs and the top players prove their worth in the playoffs. I want to see Shea Weber in the playoffs every year to see what he can do? Shea Weber on a team like the Penguins would be killer. How do you guys think Shea Weber would do in the playoffs if he was on a team that made the playoffs every year?
Preds make the playoffs all the time.

Shea is the cornerstone of a very promising defense. I also think people have forgotten how good Rinne is because he missed most of the season. Very underrated goalie. Was Doughty's career being wasted when the Kings were average?

Nashville missed the playoffs by 3 points this season without Rinne.

aufheben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 04:09 PM
KingKopitar11*

Quote:
Again, what does this have to do with anything? You're just derailing a thread now to brag about how good the Kings are.

The question is simple. Is Shea Weber just wasting his career/talent in Nashville. Once again, Weber just had a career year. Obviously his talents have grown during his time in Nashville, so he is not wasting his talent here. He is increasing it.

He signed an offer sheet that he at least reasonably believed would be matched by Nashville. A 14 year long offer sheet. At the age of 28. It's a career-contract. If he thought staying in Nashville was a waste of his career he wouldn't have signed that deal, gone to UFA a year later and picked the team he wanted to go to.

It has nothing to do with the Kings. It has nothing to do with being contenders. It has to do with an elite player being OK with where he is right now, wanting to improve his team and wanting to be the guy who leads them to a spot as a contender. Try all you want to come up with reasons/excuses as to why he should bolt, but so far all of the actual evidence is not in your favor.

People often forget that, though the Predators were bounced in the second round by a red-hot Mike Smith, they were contenders not that long ago. It seemed like every Western play off team was up in arms about Nashville being allowed to bring back one of their poached players (Radulov). That team finished 11 spots ahead of the Kings overall, 21 spots ahead of LA in total offense, 8 spots below in total defense (still top ten in the league), 16 spots ahead of LA in PP%, and 6 spots below in PK% (still top ten in the league).

At the time the play offs started the Kings weren't on anyone's radar, and Nashville had just added Radulov, AK and Gill to a team which was already top ten in all of the above mentioned team stats.

You want to talk about "maybes" and "ifs." Maybe if the right team turns it on at the right time they can go from eighth seed with no expectations to hoisting the Cup. Pulling this "contender" card is just silly coming from a Kings fan. If anyone should realize just how little being a "contender" can matter, it should be you.

Nothing is absolute. Not Weber's commitment to Nashville, and not his inability to win it all if he sticks it out. However, signs point to him wanting to dance with the one who brought him.
How am I derailing this thread? It's about Shea Weber's Career lol.

And with that said

Old
Filip Forceberg

Quote:

Filip Forceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormo View Post
It was puzzling that he ended up staying in Nashville and eating such a massive portion of salary cap.

I understand most players want to stay in one place their entire careers and all, but in this case you gotta sacrifice what you might have had in the open market, and to match the highest offer was insanity.

For both Nashville and Weber, I never fully understood this one. Perhaps there were other details I was not aware of.
Uh, maybe he actually wants to be here and make us a contender again, and maybe we can afford to keep the best player we've ever had for the rest of his career.

Old
06-06-2014, 04:10 PM
KingKopitar11*

Quote:
You did:

And it's coming across as wanting to turn this thread into something it's not, so how about we just leave the current topic as is?
I meant Preds. Not rangers. That was typo on my part. If I could edit I would have .

Old
06-06-2014, 04:12 PM
ThirdManIn
Global Moderator
Aspiring Sinecure

Awards:
Quote:
I meant Preds. Not rangers. That was typo on my part. If I could edit I would have .
Fair enough.

Old
06-06-2014, 04:14 PM
Kahuna Nanu
old bold and glass

vCash: 50
Quote:
How am I derailing this thread? It's about Shea Weber's Career lol.

And with that said

Thank god

06-06-2014, 04:16 PM
KingKopitar11*

Quote:
Fair enough.
BTW, about our cup year. We were underperforming. We still had 1C 1D 1G.

Now

Old
06-06-2014, 04:23 PM
crowi

Well, after reading through this, first thing that comes to mind (ignoring kingkopitars bs) is to congratulate Pens fans on this board for acquiring Johnpens.

crowi is offline   Reply With Quote