HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is Shea Weber just wasting his career/talent in Nashville?

Old
06-06-2014, 05:25 PM
Filip Forceberg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
BTW, about our cup year. We were underperforming. We still had 1C 1D 1G.

Now

We got it. Kings rule, Preds suck. See ya.

Filip Forceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 05:28 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Yeah, he wanted to go to Philly. Wish Nashville didn't match that OS still.

I don't think he'll win a cup with the preds, need to improve their offense drastically.

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 05:34 PM
fallsviewafro*

Are people forgetting they are going through a stupendous change there? As in literally the only coach they have ever had is gone and they are now likely to be adopting an entirely different philosophy?

They've always been a good, solid, contending team, albeit a little offensively challenged. Its easy to **** on Nashville and say Weber is wasting his career there after Suter left, but it would take a solid two-three years of suck before that's true.

fallsviewafro* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 05:39 PM
crowi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
Yeah, he wanted to go to Philly. Wish Nashville didn't match that OS still.

I don't think he'll win a cup with the preds, need to improve their offense drastically.
Where do you pull the bolded from? your behind or do you have a source?

Weber signed the offersheet to get the best possible deal he could, that doesn't mean he wanted to go to Philly. It actually means Philly just made a crazy offer he signed.

crowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 05:46 PM
ThirdManIn
Global Moderator
Aspiring Sinecure

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowi View Post

Weber signed the offersheet to get the best possible deal he could, that doesn't mean he wanted to go to Philly. It actually means Philly just made a crazy offer he signed.
The closest anyone has ever come to proving that has been comments made by Weber's agent. Weber himself has maintained he wants to play in Nashville, though had Nashville not matched I'm sure he would be just as happy to play in Philly making $100m+

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 05:47 PM
tsanuri

Quote:

Agreed
I'd actually think it means the exact opposite. Because he knew they could match it and he had no say in it.

tsanuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 05:50 PM
SharksCyclops

Quote:

Agreed, it could literally have been any team offering that money and he probably would have signed. TBH I am sure he signed knowing Nashville would match it, he knew what kind of leverage he had.

That being said, he took the payday, he maybe could have made more in free agency but chose to take guaranteed money. For that I don't feel bad for him.

SharksCyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 05:57 PM
Drij

Yes he is, just like every other star player on bad teams. But these guys are the ones who signed those ******** long contracts to stay on those **** teams in the first place.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 06:13 PM
Cane mutiny
Ahoy_Aho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
Yes he is, just like every other star player on bad teams. But these guys are the ones who signed those ******** long contracts to stay on those **** teams in the first place.
Says you, and you are NOBODY to him. The snobbery in this thread is too thick to breathe. It's his talent and his life. I'm sure he likes it there or he would have left when he had the chance, and I'm sure he doesn't care what you think about his choices. He's living the good life in a nice place instead of a stink'n city like most larger NHL cities. Deal with it.

Cane mutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 06:17 PM
TootooTrain
Southern Hospitality

What a ridiculous question. You might as well say the same thing about Ovi, Hall, or Karlsson.

TootooTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 06:18 PM
aufheben
Global Moderator
#FreeClendening

vCash: 69
I love the people talking about the Nashville Predators like they're the dregs of the league; They missed the playoffs by 3 points WITHOUT Pekka Rinne. Nashville has done a damn good job as far as expansion teams go. Cluelessness, everywhere.

Can't wait to see the inevitable bump of this thread in a couple years when the Preds have a Top-5 defense. Weber has been in the playoffs 6/9 years since he came into the league. There's multiple teams who haven't even made the playoffs more than once in that same time span.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredaDORES View Post
Nashville is a bad team now. Ok.
I don't see how a team that barely missed the playoffs despite missing their star goalie for 3/4 of the season can be called "bad".

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
That is why I brought up two other hockey markets that have been ten times worse then Nashville in the last 7 years---- fans in traditional hockey markets hate to see great players not on their team and need reasons to complain
This.

"Jim Ramsay is going to have 40 points at this rate." - Bob Richards

Last edited by aufheben: 06-06-2014 at 06:43 PM.
aufheben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 06:18 PM
Filip Forceberg

Quote:

Filip Forceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 06:25 PM
Tyrus
5 ft 8 in.

Quote:
Well, I mean, you kind of finished out of the playoffs and traded experience for a bunch of youth with potential.

There's no saying that Nashville doesn't have a very promising future, but are they a good team now? Not really.

Tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 06:36 PM
ThirdManIn
Global Moderator
Aspiring Sinecure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrus View Post
Well, I mean, you kind of finished out of the playoffs and traded experience for a bunch of youth with potential.

There's no saying that Nashville doesn't have a very promising future, but are they a good team now? Not really.
By three points. Seven play off appearances in ten years is pretty good, and barely missing them two other seasons hardly points to a team being bad. They may not be a good team in that they aren't a lock for the play offs based on the past two seasons, but they are hardly a bad team. People expecting them to finish as a lottery team are ignoring a lot of things.

Further, I don't think I have found a single fan who thinks the Erat and Legwand for Forsberg and Jarnkrok trades were anything but shrewd moves with a good chance of paying off. We traded away two aging forwards, one of whom wanted out anyway. Trading Legwand and Erat is a far cry from trading Weber, especially when the former brought back some overpayment returns while the latter likely won't even bring back enough to match the value the club places on the player.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 06:38 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
Change can happen quickly in NHL

If not for the Flyers blowing up 2010 team the Kings probably aren't a champ on verge of 2nd cup

Thus Doughty would be in same boat as Weber with people asking is he the next Rob Blake

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 06:40 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufheben View Post
I love the people talking about the Nashville Predators like they're the dregs of the league; They missed the playoffs by 3 points WITHOUT Pekka Rinne. Nashville has done a damn good job as far as expansion teams go. Cluelessness, everywhere.

Can't wait to see the inevitable bump of this thread in a couple years when the Preds have a Top-5 defense. Weber has been in the playoffs 6/9 years since he came into the league. There's multiple teams who haven't even made the playoffs more than once in that same time span.

I don't see how a team that barely missed the playoffs despite missing their star goalie for 3/4 of the season can be called "bad".
That is why I brought up two other hockey markets that have been ten times worse then Nashville in the last 7 years---- fans in traditional hockey markets hate to see great players not on their team and need reasons to complain

06-06-2014, 06:49 PM
DearDiary

vCash: 12545
Quote:
Now there's a huge piece that you left out, however I still wouldn't do it. James Neal, aside from being a dirtbag, isn't capable of scoring 40 without Crosby/Malkin.
He averaged 28 goals per 82 games in his first 3 seasons in the NHL, playing for Dallas. People were saying he would be a 40 goal scorer before the trade even happened. You know how players actually get better after their rookie seasons.
What's disappointing is he hasn't hit 50. I think he could with Crosby though. Neal's shot is top 5 in the league, his lack of agility and lack of aggressiveness with the puck hold him back.

DearDiary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 06:55 PM
Tyrus
5 ft 8 in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
By three points. Seven play off appearances in ten years is pretty good, and barely missing them two other seasons hardly points to a team being bad. They may not be a good team in that they aren't a lock for the play offs based on the past two seasons, but they are hardly a bad team. People expecting them to finish as a lottery team are ignoring a lot of things.

Further, I don't think I have found a single fan who thinks the Erat and Legwand for Forsberg and Jarnkrok trades were anything but shrewd moves with a good chance of paying off. We traded away two aging forwards, one of whom wanted out anyway. Trading Legwand and Erat is a far cry from trading Weber, especially when the former brought back some overpayment returns while the latter likely won't even bring back enough to match the value the club places on the player.
As I see it, good teams generally finish in the upper echelons during the regular seasons and, normally, proceed to make a splash during the playoffs. I've never mentioned that the trades weren't favorable to Nashville as a whole, but trading efficient and experienced players for really promising youngsters rarely makes a team better right away. Once again, young team with a really promising future, without being a really good team right now.

Tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 07:54 PM
ilikeblocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpens View Post
i think Shea Weber to pittsburgh for Kris Letang and a pick or prospect..... i think it works for both teams...

I can tell you are a pens fan.

ilikeblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 08:53 PM
Drij

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeysmitten View Post
Says you, and you are NOBODY to him. The snobbery in this thread is too thick to breathe. It's his talent and his life. I'm sure he likes it there or he would have left when he had the chance, and I'm sure he doesn't care what you think about his choices. He's living the good life in a nice place instead of a stink'n city like most larger NHL cities. Deal with it.
and at the same time he is NOBODY to me. Just another overpaid celebrity that I don't give a rats ass about. If he wants to sell out and never win a cup go for it.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 09:00 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
i think Shea Weber to pittsburgh for Kris Letang and a pick or prospect..... i think it works for both teams...
I'm thinking Shea Weber to Winnipeg for Dustin Byfuglien and a pick or prospect. I think it works for my team.

Old
06-06-2014, 09:04 PM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0220 View Post
Seeing Drew Doughty, Duncan Keith and Ryan McDonagh(to a lesser extent) all doing so well in playoffs, is Shea Weber just wasting his talents in Nashville? They rarely make the playoffs and the top players prove their worth in the playoffs. I want to see Shea Weber in the playoffs every year to see what he can do? Shea Weber on a team like the Penguins would be killer. How do you guys think Shea Weber would do in the playoffs if he was on a team that made the playoffs every year?
This is the idea of a league with a draft. Lots of star players are stuck on non-playoff teams. I liked how it was before the cap, but I understand it's fun for me as a foreigner having no particular team in the NHL and it sucks for ppl who cheered for a team that never had a chance. That's why the cap came in, for parity.

Atas2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 09:26 PM
Gnashville
Why? Poile Why??

This thread reeks of elitism. Are Phaneuf and Kessel wasting their careers in Toronto? They have had only one year of playoffs there while Weber has been at least 5 times. Some people can not accept that Nashville Tennessee has a NHL franchise, with good players.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 09:33 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Quote:
and at the same time he is NOBODY to me. Just another overpaid celebrity that I don't give a rats ass about. If he wants to sell out and never win a cup go for it.
Says the Avs fan who conveniently has forgotten that his team is just one season removed from a half-decade of suck, and that fortunes can quickly rise and fall year to year.

Weber's signed for a decade. There's quite a bit of talent on the Preds now (Rinne, Josi, Jones), and quite a bit on the way for the forward corps. It's very possible the Preds could have a very strong team in the next year or two.

Using the above logic, Matt Duchene is wasting his career in Colorado - after all, they only made the playoffs twice in the last 6 years and both were first round flameouts.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 09:56 PM
KuemperTantrum

Quote:
No Letang plus a good prospect for Shea Weber... LOL
Lirl. Rutherford laughs then hangs up the phone.

KuemperTantrum is offline   Reply With Quote