HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Justin Schultz's contract

Closed Thread

Old
08-17-2014, 04:45 PM
topchowda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
So he didn't want to sign with Anaheim but instead chose somewhere where most FA's don't want to go and that's bad for us? Subban deal? What kind of a dimwit thinks that he's looking for a $9 million a year deal at full term?
No it's good for us, but it shows he not afraid to ditch his team for $. Him and RoR strike me as $ first guys.

Old
08-17-2014, 05:51 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
No it's good for us, but it shows he not afraid to ditch his team for $. Him and RoR strike me as $ first guys.
Aren't most players $ first guys?

I'm sure that ROR and Schultz look at the ridiculously inflated free agent market and think, why not pay us? Can't say I blame them to be honest. NHL GM's have been giving money out like candy the last few years.

Old
08-17-2014, 05:53 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Look at Justin Schultz's production in college and the AHL. Now compare that to Gernat and Laleggia. Gernat and Laleggia probably will never even be NHLers.

People are delusional if they think this team doesn't need Justin Schultz right now. The next best point producer on the back end? Andrew Ferrence.... yeah this team doesn't need Justin Schultz

You don't just dump a player because contract negotiations are tough.
Agreed. The other thing is, maybe the negotiation isn't that tough. We have no clue what is happening behind the scenes.

Maybe they have a date set for negotiations.

Maybe there are key people on vacation or doing other things.

It's all purely speculation. And from his Ducks history, I can see why a few fans are so uptight about it.

I'm not worried in the slightest. Doesn't effect me or my daily life. They'll get it done when it gets done.

Old
08-17-2014, 08:11 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
There was a rumour a while back from a somewhat suspect source that the Schultz camp may have an unrealistic view of his play at the moment. But that is about it. Otherwise it's complete speculation.

As much as they need Schultz, they also need to not blow the team's cap structure. I can see this dragging out to camp, tbh. But I think a reasonable deal can be arranged by the start of the season. Schultz won't want to sit and not play with his friends, and MacT won't want to go into the season without a D that can put up points. The Oilers would be throwing in the towel at game 1.

Because, and this sucks to say, worst case scenario and Schultz holds out all season or goes to play the season in Russia or something, the Oilers probably just end up where everyone is predicting they end up, and get one last great kid out of that fantastic 2015 top 5-6. MacT's job isn't on the line and wouldn't be after one more dismal season no matter how much fans and media might want it.
They already are if they don't get another center with some experience.

Old
08-17-2014, 09:44 PM
czar99

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Ok I've refrained long enough. I know from a very close source, and I mean very close, that J Shultz is very cheap. So I have to agree with the statement that he Is a $ first kind of guy. As much as I love the idea of him as an Oiler. I wouldn't be sad to see him moved. There's something to be said for loyalty and he ditched his first team for money so why not his second.

Old
08-17-2014, 09:57 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
Ok I've refrained long enough. I know from a very close source, and I mean very close, that J Shultz is very cheap. So I have to agree with the statement that he Is a $ first kind of guy. As much as I love the idea of him as an Oiler. I wouldn't be sad to see him moved. There's something to be said for loyalty and he ditched his first team for money so why not his second.
Or you know, you ride him for a few years and get something for him before he leaves as a UFA.

Old
08-17-2014, 09:58 PM
MettleOiler

Quote:
He would of gotten the same ELC deal from all 29 teams, including Anahiem if he stayed.
He chose to come to Edmonton.

Old
08-17-2014, 09:59 PM
Oil Baron

Somebody please sign this guy to a offer sheet the Oil have to refuse (Calgary) or Buffalo lol

Old
08-17-2014, 10:09 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
The Oil are now paying for their own promo they gave this kid. they guaranteed him sugar-time, they pumped him up like the next Coffee, they've spoken of him as a core, untouchable countless times. Now, he wants to be paid as an untouchable, next One.

He is not all that. they should be entertaining offers. In fact, they should be actively making phone calls to other teams, with Schultz as a key offer for a something back.

This is the bold move, MacT. Schultz and next year's 1st for something really big, or 2 good pieces coming back.

Old
08-17-2014, 10:16 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
I don't see Schultz getting signed until Krug and Ellis do. All three were very close in ES points this past season. His agent is probably using the "Oilers PP was garbage" argument which is completely legitimate. He had very similar ES numbers to his rookie season (when he was 12th in D scoring) but the PP killed him this year. He had 3 more PP points in 2012-2013 than he did this year despite playing 26 less games. Combine his 2012-2013 PP PPG numbers with his 2013-2014 ES numbers and he's likely a 40-45 point defenseman. (46 point pace over 82 to be exact)

Something to think about. Oilers fans really underrate him because of his defensive game. He's hear to put up points. The Oilers have a new PP coach in Craig Ramsay and I think it's going to make a huge difference this year. Get him locked up.

Old
08-17-2014, 10:48 PM
Mr Positive

vCash: 1048
I don't know what he deserves exactly, but I don't blame him for looking at what our other young players did and wonder why he shouldn't get a similar deal.

Just look at the best of the bunch, Hall. He is nearly a superstar today but think back at when Hall signed his current deal. He was on his ELC and put up good numbers. However, he was also a reckless player who was often injured. It was a good deal at the time though, because of his draft pedigree. He put up dominant performances in junior, particularly in his draft year, and that play made him a good gamble. RNH is a huge example of pedigree affecting contract negotiations.

Schultz doesn't have the same pedigree but he has a similar one. Of course, his pre-draft play isn't up to the level of what players drafted 1st overall are, but Schultz's post-draft, pre-NHL play arguably gives him a very high pedigree as well. He was dominant in college and in the AHL, both men's leagues. These arguably make him a good gamble as well. As of now, I would say that he's less of a good gamble as Hall was, but a better one than what RNH was.

Old
08-17-2014, 10:49 PM
czar99

Quote:
Originally Posted by MettleOiler View Post
He would of gotten the same ELC deal from all 29 teams, including Anahiem if he stayed.
He chose to come to Edmonton.
Agreed. But I think it has to say more about a control issue and a me first attitude. If you new the details of his cheapness that I do you would understand.

Old
08-17-2014, 11:03 PM
McArthur

is he really that good? cause after last year, i'm leaning towards no. any chance his trade value is still high? like... Schultz/d-prospect/ 3rd to st. Louis for Berglund?

Old
08-17-2014, 11:36 PM
MettleOiler

Quote:
Agreed. But I think it has to say more about a control issue and a me first attitude. If you new the details of his cheapness that I do you would understand.
Yeah, I understand what you're saying, and though I don't know the details, I do not condemn the kid for doing whatever he is doing in the contract negotiations.
Though, I also believe that the agents are not blameless for trying to push the envelope, considering the contracts that have been handed out this off-season. It would be foolish for a player like Schultz, who has the talent and potential to be very good Offensive defenceman, to not try to get term and dollars right now.

When you say cheap, do you mean:

(a) A individual who is extremely frugal with his money?

or

(b) Schultz's contract is going to be to cheap?

Edit: control issue and a me first attitude - I'm not sure why this is considered a negative trait for the player, mostly everyone in world have varying degrees of that attitude.

Last edited by MettleOiler: 08-17-2014 at 11:42 PM.
Old
08-17-2014, 11:47 PM
McArthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MettleOiler View Post
Yeah, I understand what you're saying, and though I don't know the details, I do not condemn the kid for doing whatever he is doing in the contract negotiations.
Though, I also believe that the agents are not blameless for trying to push the envelope, considering the contracts that have been handed out this off-season. It would be foolish for a player like Schultz, who has the talent and potential to be very good Offensive defenceman, to not try to get term and dollars right now.

When you say cheap, do you mean:

(a) A individual who is extremely frugal with his money?

or

(b) Schultz's contract is going to be to cheap?

Edit: control issue and a me first attitude - I'm not sure why this is considered a negative trait for the player, mostly everyone in world have varying degrees of that attitude.
do you think he's looking for Hall/RNH/Eberle type term? he's been linked to all 3 quite a bit over the last couple seasons

Old
08-18-2014, 12:15 AM
MettleOiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by McArthur View Post
do you think he's looking for Hall/RNH/Eberle type term? he's been linked to all 3 quite a bit over the last couple seasons
Well I think he does want to be here and do think he is looking for term as those 3, and though he hasn't exactly proven yet that he is a $6 million/year player. With the inflation of contracts, I wouldn't be surprised he and his agent are asking for 8 year term and that $$$.

Now, putting my armchair GM hat on, I would consider it a win if you can get him 7-8 years at 4.5 m per.

Old
08-18-2014, 01:20 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by McArthur View Post
is he really that good? cause after last year, i'm leaning towards no. any chance his trade value is still high? like... Schultz/d-prospect/ 3rd to st. Louis for Berglund?
He's played 1.5 seasons of NHL hockey. You don't move a player with his skill because of a difficult contract negotiation.

I'm flabbergasted by the number of people who just want to turf this kid. This market expects way too much out of young players. Way, way, way too much.

Old
08-18-2014, 01:34 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Polaris GTFO my comp

Sign him long term if he fails buy him out,if he exceeds contract will be a bargain.

Old
08-18-2014, 01:57 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob Fail View Post
Sign him long term if he fails buy him out,if he exceeds contract will be a bargain.
It's pretty easy to say that when it isn't your money being spent.

Old
08-18-2014, 06:35 AM
Gambl0r83

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
They already are if they don't get another center with some experience.
Because one Center will bring us to the playoffs and turn this entire curse around

Old
08-18-2014, 06:47 AM
Gambl0r83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
For all of the BS that Schultz is getting right now, imagine how ****ed we'd be if he didn't sign with us. Our point production on the blueline would probably have approached record levels of futility these last 2 seasons.

At the end of the day he chose to sign with us when he could've gotten the exact same contract from pretty well every team in the league. He does not deserve to be crapped on by this fan base, he has been identified as one of the core by our current GM. The best is yet to come with this player and even if we overpay him on this deal keep in mind that unlike the rest of our core he had a choice where to go and he chose here so cut the guy some slack. Watch him get paid and be appreciative that it's one less position on D that needs to be filled. Regardless of what anyone thinks of his defensive play he is the best offensive d-man that we have in the system or on the team so he fills a valuable role on this club.

But he is exploiting that point. He knows how golden he is on this team, he very well knows that his value is incomparable in terms of offense to the rest of the Oiler blue line. He is using that leverage and stretching it out way too far. Or perhaps his agent is.
Nonetheless, your proabably right, the best is yet to come, but the fact is, it hasn't come yet. They can't pay a defensemen an elite salary based on what they predict he will become, but by what he actually did. And last season, was no flawless victory for Mr. Schultz

Old
08-18-2014, 08:31 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Look at how far the Subban negotiations went. This isn't hugely surprising.

Old
08-18-2014, 08:35 AM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob Fail View Post
Yep, mangers love to waste time, resources, and in the NHL, cap space (no more compliance buy outs).

Old
08-18-2014, 09:02 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
He's played 1.5 seasons of NHL hockey. You don't move a player with his skill because of a difficult contract negotiation.

I'm flabbergasted by the number of people who just want to turf this kid.
This market expects way too much out of young players. Way, way, way too much.
Why not trade him if you get a good player back? This has been the problem with this organization since Tambo, the notion that 'thou shalt never trade a good player'. That is why their lineup is so effed up, they can't bring themselves to trade good assets to actually build a complete lineup. I'm not saying 'turf' him for nothing, but, if a good trade is there, why not entertain it?

You can't expect to be paid for potential on your second contract, at 24 years old and you're a 2nd round pick. Hall and RNH were 20 when they signed their second contracts and Eberle had already put up a 35g, 70p+ season. That he has only played 130 games is not an excuse. There is a reason he went the college route; if he had been drafted in the top 5 (instead of mid 2nd round), would he have? He simply hasn't done anywhere near enough to be asking for the moon.

He is 24 years old and we still do not know how good he is. That, alone, speaks volumes.

Old
08-18-2014, 09:43 AM
J4M13M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
It's pretty easy to say that when it isn't your money being spent.
This is pretty much exactly my view on most contract discussions. I want them to lock him up long-term. Not for cap reasons specifically, but because I like what he might become. I know it';s a gamble, but since it's not my money, that's what I want to see.

Closed Thread