HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Did We Lose The Linden-Zednik Trade?

Old
06-08-2014, 06:57 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Hard to believe but that era was worse in habs era since mid to late 1930s in terms of Finance.Whatever we think of George Gillet-the guy knew how to market a club.In a way sad that an American had to help recapture and regnite the great habs tradition
IIRC it was more than just marketing the team, he also brought back all the Habs' greats into the fold. Gillett was an amazing owner, his only fault was his undying loyalty to the hockey people he had appointed.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 06:59 PM
Craig71

The Leclair and Roy trades have to be the worst in our history with mcdonagh being right up there, proving that great hockey players do not necessarily make good gms.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 07:26 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
IIRC it was more than just marketing the team, he also brought back all the Habs' greats into the fold. Gillett was an amazing owner, his only fault was his undying loyalty to the hockey people he had appointed.
I agree. You couldn't really ask more from an owner then Gillett. At a time when the franchise was struggling he stepped in and did a great job to help get the franchise back from it's darkest moments since the 1930's.

donghabs98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 08:28 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie007 View Post
just found this article on twitter, pretty good read. But im not sure if I agreed with the Linden trade as one of the worst. If i recall Linden was pretty much hated on here at the time (never regain his dominance when he was with Vancouver) and Zednik was one of my favourite hab growing up (Bruins Killer )

10 Worst Trades Since 93

anyways also kinda funny when he mentioned how we all thought we ripped the Islanders the first time pretty sure we all thought he won that trade
Zednik was never the same after getting clothselined against the Bs in the POs.

29dryden29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 08:53 PM
yianik

Always liked Zubrus.

Always thought he was just a little something away from being another level of a player.

Always thought Zubrus was the poster boy of why you don't rush players. He had come over to play in the CHL but something got messed up in his paperwork coming over and instead of playing regular juniors he had to play in some tier 2 junior league, where he did well but against lower quality players. He was already man sized and the Flyers drafted him and he made the team right off, whereas he should have gone to juniors or someplace else to develop his game better. Anyway, he has had a solid NHL career.

Amazing to think we once had 2 huge centers.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 08:56 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
Zednik was never the same after getting clothselined against the Bs in the POs.
Reasons to hate the Bruins just build over the years. Was that embellished ? Take a flying.......you bunch of... .

Old
06-08-2014, 09:11 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Hard to believe but that era was worse in habs era since mid to late 1930s in terms of Finance.Whatever we think of George Gillet-the guy knew how to market a club.In a way sad that an American had to help recapture and regnite the great habs tradition
Everyone shook their heads at the idea of an American buying the team and there were doomsday thoughts like he would move them to Oklahoma or something.

Turns out Mr. Gillet really wanted to bring the team back and make it a winner. Molson Breweries were always looking at the Habs bottom line ( I was so jealous of all the other teams owned by corporations that didn't seem to care if money was lost in hockey operations ) and basically required the team to break even in the regular season so we had a self imposed cap of like $38-$40M. Couldn't compete with the Flyers, Blues, Leafs, Wings, spending like $60-$70M.

Gillet came in and while he couldn't afford to take losses he still okayed going to like $43M-$45M and losing a few million in the regular season in the hopes he would break even if we got into the play-offs.

Gillet was a good owner and certainly better in terms of spending than Molsons. Just too bad he had crap management with Corey and Houle.

Old
06-08-2014, 09:18 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie007 View Post
I don't disagree with you that both trades are just fkin terrible (gainey )
but LeClair was like a top 5 forward during this time, while Desjardins was probably top 15 defenseman.

McD i would say is a top 10 D in the league right now.

but then again we at least got Recchi, this time around we got gomez...
Make note, never, ever, make a trade where a guy coming back is named Busto.

Old
06-08-2014, 09:26 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
The biggest stinker in Habs history was giving up Chelios for a retiring guy. I suppose nobody knew Chris would play well into his 40's at the time. And yes I heard the argument the Habs won the Cup, but Savard was on the bench in a suit in the 93 playoffs, with Chelios it would have been won in less games and given a chance for a repeat! ;-)

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 10:15 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
Make note, never, ever, make a trade where a guy coming back is named Busto.
I remember at one point, some people were saying that trade was a slam dunk because we got the 2 best players in the deal (Gomez and Pyatt). Good times.

Old
06-08-2014, 10:23 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

God.

I remember lying awake at night after most of those trades, thinking "What the ****?"

Such massive setbacks...

Awful stuff.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 10:56 PM
calder candidate

These are some horrible trade... even at the time it happened.

#1 Gomez, I still can't figure out way we gave our best prospect for a cap dump.
Did Zero in Montreal and we end up buying him out...
#2 Turgeons
#3 Ribeiro
#4 Leclaire/desjardin
#5 Tucker
#6 Roy
#7 Carbonneau
#8 Damphousse
#9 Linden /Zubrus
#10 Lapierre
#11 Asham

calder candidate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 11:13 PM
Kirk Muller

It was pretty much a wash in my opinion.

Both Bulis and Linden pretty much cancel each other, Bulis might have even been slightly more useful.

Zednik and Zubrus both had some good years and some forgettable ones.

I really liked Zubrus as a hab but somehow I look at his career as a what could of been. He had the talent, skating and raw physical attributes to be dominant, just couldn't put it all together

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 08:58 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by calder candidate View Post
#1 Gomez, I still can't figure out way we gave our best prospect for a cap dump.
Montreal wasn't the only team going after Gomez and the teams going after him were not treating him as a cap dump.

It's one of those things where the people in charge over value things you don't.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 09:39 AM
StanAjax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Didn't Zubrus play wing for the most part in MTL?
To those saying we had 2 big centers with Linden and Zubrus, this.

Zubrus was a RW his whole time here. He became a C during his stint with the Caps (somewhen in 02-03 if you look at the faceoff stats). When you had the fact that he was not involving physically, the Eller comparison is already worse (we never saw Zubrus playoff mode though).

And Linden was even more injured with the Caps than he was here. He played 34 games for them, including the playoffs, between the end of the 00-01 season and the whole 01-02 season.

This trade was a win. Not a franchise-changing win, but definitely a win.

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 10:33 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
I remember at one point, some people were saying that trade was a slam dunk because we got the 2 best players in the deal (Gomez and Pyatt). Good times.
There's no way anybody actually said that with any degree of seriousness.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 10:42 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
There's no way anybody actually said that with any degree of seriousness.
Really make me want to dig up that thread?

Old
06-09-2014, 11:03 AM
LaP

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Gainey with #3 and #4. What a baddie.

I personally would rank the McDo for Gomez trade higher than the Leclair trade. Recchi was still a pretty damn good player back then.
Totally. Yeah it was not a good trade but we got a very good player in return. One of the best RW in the league.

And we must not fool ourselves. Leclair would not have scored 50 goals in Montréal. I live Koivu but he was not even close to an healthy Lindros. An healthy Lindros is hall of fame material.

LaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 12:52 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
Reasons to hate the Bruins just build over the years. Was that embellished ? Take a flying.......you bunch of... .
That never bothered me at all honestly. I have zero hatred towards the Bs and actually quite admire their team. Easy to do when we have beaten them sooooo many times over the years. My hatred is to the Laffs.

29dryden29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2014, 03:45 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Yeah, habs lost this trade.

Zubrus turned out to be the best player in the deal, and he's simply had a longer shelf life than bulis and zednik.

To be fair, zednik has had a couple frighting injuries though which may have affected his career.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 12:50 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Montreal Canadiens traded Stephane Richer, Darcy Tucker and David Wilkie to the Tampa Bay Lightning for Patrick Poulin, Mick Vukota and Igor Ulanov.
Never understood why the Habs had lacked so much patience with Tucker...but i'll say this, about Damphousse SJ trade, the Habs were getting nowhere anyway and Vinny would never had had this much success with them that he's had with a good team like SJ. It's like Michel Goulet with the Nords, sometime it's time to go for the good of the player. Goulet left a crappy last place team in QC and had a good second part of a career with the Hawks.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 01:03 AM
McTusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player 61 View Post
The biggest stinker in Habs history was giving up Chelios for a retiring guy. I suppose nobody knew Chris would play well into his 40's at the time. And yes I heard the argument the Habs won the Cup, but Savard was on the bench in a suit in the 93 playoffs, with Chelios it would have been won in less games and given a chance for a repeat! ;-)
That's my least favourite one too. It'd be like trading Subban for Lecavalier right now.

McTusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 01:18 AM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Talking about Bulis doesn't he have the worst shaved head in all of professional sports history?

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 01:25 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Talking about Bulis doesn't he have the worst shaved head in all of professional sports history?

That's no head, it's a helmet, dumb dumb.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 08:57 AM
Cookie007

Quote:
Originally Posted by calder candidate View Post
These are some horrible trade... even at the time it happened.

Did Zero in Montreal and we end up buying him out...
#2 Turgeons
#3 Ribeiro
#4 Leclaire/desjardin
#5 Tucker
#6 Roy
#7 Carbonneau
#8 Damphousse
#9 Linden /Zubrus
#10 Lapierre
#11 Asham
ohh yes, lapierre for brett festerling lolll

a trade we usually forget is Lyle Odelein for a finished Stephane Richer. remember that? richer played like half a season for us before trading him. Odelein was like a matt greene type of player for us and still played another 9 season after

Cookie007 is online now   Reply With Quote