HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pacioretty for 1st-round pick (Ekblad)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-09-2014, 06:12 PM
  #126
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 27,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
I dont understand why we should NOT trade Paciorretty ? Im not saying we need to shop him for garbage but most of the proposal including maxpac are with some legit top player coming back. you dont trade maxpac for a 1st overall ? I would gadly have made this trade last year to have Mackinnon....Now i dont know much about Ekblad but if Timmins and his team tell MB he's going to be close to Pronger level , than I hope MB make this trade.


personally , I would rather trade maxpac for Drouin
You don't make senseless trades just because the prospect might end up being amazing. You will never win the cup with this mentality.
We have good pieces in place to contend for the cup in the very close future. Price is clearly entering his prime, PK won a Norris, we have to build around those guys. MaxPac is 25, just finished the year with 39 goals (a 40+ goal pace), he is a big piece of the puzzle. Trading him now for a kid that will make the NHL (we're talking about making the NHL, not having a huge impact) in the next 1-3years, is a big step back.

You do not make a trade if it creates a hole. How do we replace his 39 goal production if we move him for a pick? We want to add more players that can help with the scoring, not deduct.


Drouin could make a lot more sense, but he's another winger that's under 6 feet. So we'd need to figure out how to get bigger elsewhere. Makes it more complicated.

If we're talking about next year, for McDavid. Then okay, I'd probably do it because his upside is insane. So a risk well worth taking. Having him and Galchenyuk here would be amazing.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 06:32 PM
  #127
Bieber fever
Registered User
 
Bieber fever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westmount
Posts: 5,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
You don't make senseless trades just because the prospect might end up being amazing. You will never win the cup with this mentality.
We have good pieces in place to contend for the cup in the very close future. Price is clearly entering his prime, PK won a Norris, we have to build around those guys. MaxPac is 25, just finished the year with 39 goals (a 40+ goal pace), he is a big piece of the puzzle. Trading him now for a kid that will make the NHL (we're talking about making the NHL, not having a huge impact) in the next 1-3years, is a big step back.

You do not make a trade if it creates a hole. How do we replace his 39 goal production if we move him for a pick? We want to add more players that can help with the scoring, not deduct.


Drouin could make a lot more sense, but he's another winger that's under 6 feet. So we'd need to figure out how to get bigger elsewhere. Makes it more complicated.

If we're talking about next year, for McDavid. Then okay, I'd probably do it because his upside is insane. So a risk well worth taking. Having him and Galchenyuk here would be amazing.
You also don't win a cup with an average team ( some rare exception ). We need to look at this lucky playoff run objectively. Vanek is gone and Markov is on the decline.

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 06:38 PM
  #128
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 27,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
You also don't win a cup with an average team ( some rare exception ). We need to look at this lucky playoff run objectively. Vanek is gone and Markov is on the decline.
I don't think we were lucky.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 07:38 PM
  #129
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't think we were lucky.
We certainly were luck when Bishop was hurt in round 1. Not saying we wouldn't have won the series, but ... you know... you need a little luck in the playoffs.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 08:07 PM
  #130
Milhouse40
Registered User
 
Milhouse40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,697
vCash: 500
The last hing EDM need is another offensive player in need of offensive game situations.

They need defensive help at both end, leadership and they are also in need of goaltending. Considering the terms of the players involved:

Plekanec + Gorges + Tokarski + MTL 2014 1st round
Perron + EDM 2014 1st round

They don't loose one of their young core players (Hall, Hopkins, Yakupov, Eberle)
They get exactly the 3 pieces they desperately need with a couple of years left.

For Montreal...local talent (trade DD now also), a great winger and good cap space to go play in the UFA....for Stastny mayby?

I'm dreaming....

Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 09:37 PM
  #131
Bieber fever
Registered User
 
Bieber fever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Westmount
Posts: 5,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't think we were lucky.
both Tampa and Bruins had their MVP injured.

it's all depend of what Timmins thinks of Ekblad. If he's projected be a Weber/Pronger/Chara I would make tha trade. I love maxpac but we are talking about some who can change a entire franchise Imagine the bruins without Chara

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 09:54 PM
  #132
Noob616
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,477
vCash: 500
mysterybox.mov

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 10:03 PM
  #133
ROSSter
Registered User
 
ROSSter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob616 View Post
mysterybox.mov
The mystery box could be another mystery box!

ROSSter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 10:13 PM
  #134
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
The last hing EDM need is another offensive player in need of offensive game situations.

They need defensive help at both end, leadership and they are also in need of goaltending. Considering the terms of the players involved:

Plekanec + Gorges + Tokarski + MTL 2014 1st round
Perron + EDM 2014 1st round

They don't loose one of their young core players (Hall, Hopkins, Yakupov, Eberle)
They get exactly the 3 pieces they desperately need with a couple of years left.

For Montreal...local talent (trade DD now also), a great winger and good cap space to go play in the UFA....for Stastny mayby?

I'm dreaming....
More like a nightmare for Montreal. Whatever you were doing before writing that post, don't ever do it again, please!

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 10:17 PM
  #135
Le Tricolore
J-E-T-S!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 29,881
vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
both Tampa and Bruins had their MVP injured.

it's all depend of what Timmins thinks of Ekblad. If he's projected be a Weber/Pronger/Chara I would make tha trade. I love maxpac but we are talking about some who can change a entire franchise Imagine the bruins without Chara
Rask wasn't injured.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 10:26 PM
  #136
NLHabsFan
Registered User
 
NLHabsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,619
vCash: 500
We should make this a general Trade Proposal thread for the offseason. It's that time of year now.

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 10:45 PM
  #137
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 27,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
We certainly were luck when Bishop was hurt in round 1. Not saying we wouldn't have won the series, but ... you know... you need a little luck in the playoffs.
Well sure, same is true for every team. You don't come back from 0-3 in a series without some luck involved, but nobody has issues giving LA their dues.
We had some luck, but we also deserve some credit and recognition.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 10:50 PM
  #138
Milhouse40
Registered User
 
Milhouse40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
More like a nightmare for Montreal. Whatever you were doing before writing that post, don't ever do it again, please!
If it were remotely possible and EDM would go for it, it would give

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Perron - Stastny - XXXXXXX
+3rd draft pick overall
vs

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - XXXXXXX
+ 26th pick overall

I don't see the downgrade here. Younger, bigger, better, faster and for about the same price tag, not even considering the major draft pick. But highly doubtful and just pure speculation here.

Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 10:51 PM
  #139
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 27,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
both Tampa and Bruins had their MVP injured.

it's all depend of what Timmins thinks of Ekblad. If he's projected be a Weber/Pronger/Chara I would make tha trade. I love maxpac but we are talking about some who can change a entire franchise Imagine the bruins without Chara
We still beat TB if they have Bishop.
Boston still had Rask, Chara, Bergeron, Krejci, so no, they were not missing their MVPs. Seidenberg is good, nowhere near their MVP.

Ekblad has a long way to go before becoming Chara, and what do you suggest happens to our offense in the mean time?? And even if he does become that solid Dman, who scores the goals up front???
You don't make a trade that create holes, never. That's counter productive.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2014, 03:11 AM
  #140
Mr. Hab
Registered User
 
Mr. Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
Bingo (Pacioretty's contract).
Same with Rene Bourque. I'd hang onto both, big time. And sign Vanek too.
Exactly...Pacioretty has one of the best contracts in the NHL...
(also good for future contract reference for Eller, Galchenyuk, Gallagher.

Pacioretty at $4.5mil/year for:
2014-2015
2015-2016
2016-2017
2017-2018
2018-2019.
Super contract.
(way better VS Emelin and DD's contracts).

Rene Bourque at 3.3/year for two more seasons is also a super contract/bargain since he's a major playoff warrior (love 'em playoff warriors). Always delivers when it counts the most and makes our top 9 more legit/bigger.

Vanek:
gotta disagree with you on this one...since I'd prefer a shorter term contract...examples: Iginla for 2-3 yrs... Gaborik or Moulson for 3-4yrs (less risk),etc,etc.
8 yrs with Vanek could be a major disaster (especially for playoffs where he is a sleepwalker/sleep-skater...also a diva if he doesn't play with preferred linemates...he'll complain about chemistry instead of giving honest effort,etc).

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2014, 06:35 AM
  #141
Halifaxhab*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Have a little patience, Drouin will be someone enjoyable to watch in the meantime even if he takes a few years to hit full stride.
That's my point. He isn't an immediate upgrade. I have watched this kid closely for parts of 2 seasons (parts of, because he refused to report to Halifax his 1st season, Cam had to offer him all kinds of extra incentives to ge t him here because he felt he was THE star and didn't feel treated that way...seriously) He's a 3 yr NHL project to hit his full potential

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.