HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

Renegade Stylings 2014 Mock Draft

Old
06-07-2014, 02:53 PM
R S

vCash: 1000
Renegade Stylings 2014 Mock Draft

Continuing my annual tradition here today as I release my mock draft a couple weeks out from draft day. Have a peak, would love some feedback.

1. Florida Panthers - Aaron Ekblad - Barrie Colts - RD

The Florida Panthers add another big piece to their future by grabbing the best defenceman and most NHL-ready player in the draft. Ekblad will be able to step right into the NHL and play #4 or #5 minutes as early as next season. With some nice pieces up front in guys like Barkov, Huberdeau and Bjugstad already, this decision for the Panthers is fairly easy.

If not Ekblad: Sam Reinhart

2. Buffalo Sabres - Sam Reinhart - Kootenay Ice - RC

The Buffalo Sabres take another big step in their rebuild by grabbing the smartest player in the draft in Sam Reinhart. The talented pivot thinks his way around the ice and possesses elite vision. He's a character kid and can step right into a depth role in Buffalo as early as 2014-15.

If not Reinhart: Sam Bennett

3. Edmonton Oilers - Leon Draisaitl - Prince Albert Raiders - LC

Where there's smoke, there's fire. It's well documented how closely the Oilers have followed Draisaitl late this season and they are happy to add this big, strong centre as part of their seemingly continuous rebuild. Will have the chance to step straight into the NHL immediately, although the jury is still out on whether or not he's ready for that.

If not Draisaitl: Sam Bennett

4. Calgary Flames - Sam Bennett - Kingston Frontenacs - LC

The Calgary Flames run to the podium to snag a guy that is a 1st overall-calibre player. He's not the biggest guy, but he plays with grit and is a perfect fit for the blueprint that the Brian Burke-led Flames are piecing together. He's a leader with a high skill level and will provide a fantastic 1-2 punch down the middle along with Sean Monahan.

If not Bennett: Nick Ritchie

5. New York Islanders - Michael Dal Colle - Oshawa Generals - LW

The Islanders round out the top 5 by adding arguably the best pure scorer in the draft in Dal Colle. He's big kid, who's not overly physical, but has an elite-level shot that can beat goalies from a distance. He's a kid that projects to be a top line winger in the NHL in only a couple short years, setting up a nice duo alongside John Tavares.

If not Dal Colle: Nikolaj Ehlers

6. Vancouver Canucks - William Nylander - Modo (Sweden) - CR

The Canucks add a player that might have the highest pure offensive potential in the draft in Nylander. He's not the biggest player, but he's smart, skilled and dynamic. With the Kesler trade rumours continuing to be present, despite a new GM and coach being set to take over, the Canucks need to add another future top 6 centre to their mix to go along with Bo Horvat.

If not Nylander: Jake Virtanen

7. Carolina Hurricanes - Nikolaj Ehlers - Halifax Mooseheds - LW

The Hurricanes think long and hard about this one, passing up big rugged Nick Ritchie to select the smart and highly-skilled Ehlers. The import burst onto the scene this season, lighting things up with the 2013 Memorial Cup Champion Mooseheads. He's got top end speed and smarts and adds an elite-level skill player to a franchise that was 22nd in goals and 28th on the PP in 2013-14.

If not Ehlers: Nick Ritchie

8. Toronto Maple Leafs - Nick Ritchie - Peterborough Petes - LW

The Leafs confidently stride up to the podium to select Ritchie, the best powerforward in the draft. He's a big kid that can hit, fight and absolutely wire the puck. The Leafs have a fairly small top 6 group of forwards right now and are more than happy to add his rugged skillset.

If not Ritchie: Jake Virtanen

9. Winnipeg Jets - Jake Virtanen - Calgary Hitmen - LW (R)

The Jets have a history of picking kids from the WHL and they continue that trend by adding a talented player in Virtanen. He's a good skater, can play a physical game and owns some of the best pure goal scoring skills and instincts in the draft. The Jets need help in a couple of areas but decide taking a forward here is the best option for them.

If not Virtanen: Haydn Fleury

10. Anaheim Ducks - Haydn Fleury - Red Deer Rebels - LD

The Ducks are one of the deepest teams out there right now in regards to young talent. They've got some nice pieces at all positions, but appear to be thinnest in this regard on the blueline. With that in mind, they lean to the defence and take Rebels two-way defender Haydn Fleury. Fleury is a smooth skater that can help move the puck.

If not Fleury: Brendan Perlini

11. Nashville Predators - Robby Fabbri - Guelph Storm - CL

The Predators surprise a few people by taking Robby Fabbri at 11th overall. He's somewhat undersized, but you would never know it based on his involvement in the play. He's aggressive, gritty and extremely skilled. Not only that, but he plays down the middle, a noted current weakness of the Predators.

If not Fabbri - Kevin Fiala

12. Phoenix Coyotes - Brendan Perlini - Niagara Ice Dogs - LW

The Coyotes add another nice piece to their prospect group up front by adding an offensively talented winger in Perlini. He's a big player with a noted ability to think the game. He could look extremely good on a future line with Max Domi and Henrik Samuelsson in the desert.

If not Perlini: Kasperi Kapanen

13. Washington Capitals - Kevin Fiala - HV71 (Sweden) - LW

The Capitals continue their tradition of drafting forwards in the first round by taking highly talented Swiss forward Kevin Fiala. He's an extremely creative forward who plays with some nice strength and grit despite being under 6 feet tall. Ideally Washington takes a defenceman here, but it's a thin crop for the first round in 2014.

If not Fiala: Travis Sanheim

14. Dallas Stars - Kasperi Kapanen - KalPa (Finland) - RW

The Stars have had some nice Finnish players in their lineup over the years and they hope to add to that by selecting the son of Sami Kapenen in Kasperi Kapanen. He's a smart and skilled player, who stood out in Finland's men's league this year. The Stars can use some help in all areas of their prospect pool and simply go for the guy who has the highest potential at this point of the draft.

If not Kapanen: Sonny Milano

15. Detroit Red Wings - Dylan Larkin - US NTDP - LW

The Red Wings add some more grit and soul to their extremely skilled young group of forwards. Larkin is also a Detroit kid, making this selection a hair easier for the Wings. He might not have the highest offensive potential, but he's an impact forward that should be able to play in their top 9 after his stint at Michigan.

If not Larkin: Nikita Scherbak

16. Columbus Blue Jackets - Nikita Scherbak - Saskatoon Blades - RW (L)

The Blue Jackets are happy to select the offensive powerhouse in Nikita Scherbak. The club has some nice pieces already established on their blueline and go ahead and add an impact prospect on the wing. Scherbak has some size and is silky smooth with the puck, possessing both a heavy shot and very solid vision and playmaking skills.

If not Scherbak: Alex Tuch

17. Philadelphia Flyers - Alex Tuch - US NTDP - RW

Philadelphia happily adds a big, strong forward in Alex Tuch. He's 6'3, plays a heavy game and is committed to play at Boston College. He has nice reach, a nice set of hands and pro-ready size. He seems like a great fit for the type of player the Flyers tend to target.

If not Tuch: Sonny Milano

18. Minnesota Wild - Sonny Milano - US NTDP - LW

The run of American kids from the NTDP continues at the draft as the Wild head to the podium and select the highly skilled Sonny Milano. Milano might have the best hands in the draft, showing off the ability to stickhandle in tight quarters and drawing comparisons to Patrick Kane. Minnesota are happy to add some more skill to their lineup with this pick.

If not Milano: Travis Sanheim

19. Tampa Bay Lightning - Ivan Barbashev - Moncton Wildcats - LW

The Lightning add to their growing pool of Europeans with offensive flair by snagging Barbashev at 19th overall. Barbashev is a Russian forward who has gained the reputation of playing a very North American style of game in that he grinds and plays the body. If not a forward of this type, I could see them potentially adding an offensive defender.

If not Barbashev: Nikolai Goldobin

20. San Jose Sharks - Travis Sanheim - Calgary Hitmen - LD

The Sharks are lacking prospect depth across the board and I see them adding a kid with a massive development curve in Sanheim. He started from the bottom, now he's here. Sanheim is a former 9th round bantam pick in the WHL, started the year as a depth defender for Calgary and is now a 1st round NHL pick. He's big, he can skate and will fit in nicely as the Sharks look to retool their system.

If not Sanheim: Anthony DeAngelo

21. St. Louis Blues - Roland McKeown - Kingston Frontenacs - RD

Reports are mixed on what McKeown might be at the next level as he doesn't wow you as either an offensive or defensive defenceman. He's just a well-rounded two-way guy that projects as a middle-pairing defenceman. The Blues have noted prospect depth at all areas and therefore add a fairly safe pick in a kid who might be able to make the jump to pro somewhat sooner than his counterparts.

If not McKeown: Nick Schmaltz

22. Pittsburgh Penguins - Jared McCann - Sault St. Marie Greyhounds - CL

The Penguins get a nice value pick in the smart, two-way centre Jared McCan
n. There are mixed reviews on his offensive potential as a pro, but he's considered to be a safe pick who will make an impact as a 3rd line centre at worst. The Penguins could be set to make a few tinkering moves with a new GM in place and having versatile players in the system is always a smart play in that situation.

If not McCann: Nick Schmaltz

23. Colorado Avalanche - Conner Bleackley - Red Deer Rebels - CR

The Colorado Avalanche stick with their motto in recent years, adding a character kid to their prospect pool. Bleackley is the captain of the Rebels and possesses a nice amount of grit and skill, with his shot release being a noted strength. Colorado likes these type of players and Bleackley could fit in nicely in the future as either a 3rd line centre or a top 9 right-winger due to his smarts and versatility.

If not Bleackley: David Pastrnak

24. Anaheim Ducks - Adrian Kempe - Modo (Sweden) - CL

After adding a solid two-way defenceman in Fleury in the top 10 of 2014, the Ducks turn to their forward group and add big Swede Adrian Kempe. Kempe doesn't necessarily have top 6 upside in regards to his offensive toolbox, but he skates well, plays a heavy game and is responsible defensively. I really love the Ducks willingness to pick players from all over the world in recent years, Kempe fits that trend, too.

If not Kempe: Josh Ho-Sang

25. Boston Bruins - David Pastrnak - Sodertalje (Sweden) - LW (R)

The Bruins add a slick and dynamic talent in Pastrnak. He's a noted offensive player who has good vision, skill in handling the puck and a good work ethic. The Bruins do lack some prospect depth at almost every position outside of the goaltender, so they seem to be a pretty big wildcard in 2014. Pastrnak could be a home run for them.

If not Pastrnak: Jakub Vrana

26. Montreal Canadiens - Nikolai Goldobin - Sarnia Sting - RW (L)

Montreal goes looking for an offensive prospect late in the first round and find it with Russian Nikolai Goldobin. The 5'11 winger put up an impressive 94 points in 67 games in his second OHL season in 2013-14. Scouts note some inconsistency from him throughout the season, but has also proven he can elevate his game when needed, especially when insulated with talented players around him.

If not Goldobin: Brendan Lemieux

27. Chicago Blackhawks - Thatcher Demko - Boston College - G

The Blackhawks look to their future between the pipes and see Demko as a great fit. He seems to be far and away the best goalie available in this draft, excelling in the NCAA as a rookie, being an athletic kid with a 6'4 frame. This could be an ideal fit for Demko, too, as he will finish his NCAA career before making the jump to pro, eventually challenging Crawford for the starting job in Chicago.

If not Demko: John Quenneville

28. Tampa Bay Lightning - Nick Schmaltz - Green Bay (USHL) - C/RW

The Lightning own this second 1st rounder thanks to a trade with the Rangers and add more skill in Schmaltz. He's not big, but has a high amount of skill. Has been knocked for seeming like the work ethic isn't always there, but if he figures that part of his game out he could end up as a big time steal this late in the opening 30 picks for the Lightning.

If not Schmaltz: Anthony DeAngelo or Julius Honka

29. Los Angeles Kings - Josh Ho-Sang - Windsor Spitfires - RW

The Kings add more potential top-line skill to their pool in Ho-Sang. Everyone you talk to says this kid might have the best mitts in the draft and LA isn't about to let that value go to waste in 2014. Scouts are very mixed about his attitude and think he could be a hit or miss type of guy. A player like that is a good fit for the Kings, given he can step in to a good situation with less pressure as a depth player early in his career.

If not Ho-Sang: Jakub Vrana

30. New Jersey Devils - Jakub Vrana - Linkoping - RW (L)

After several teams consider him long and hard, the Devils close out the first 30 picks by snagging skilled Czech forward Jakub Vrana. He's a strong skater with a good work ethic and a shot that is to be considered near the top of this draft class. The Devils happily add more skill to their system with this selection.

If not Vrana: Anthony DeAngelo

Last edited by R S: 06-08-2014 at 12:40 AM.
R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2014, 02:58 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by R S View Post
12. Phoenix Coyotes - Brendan Perlini - Niagara Ice Dogs - LW

The Coyotes add another nice piece to their prospect group up front by adding an offensively talented winger in Perlini. He's a big player with a noted ability to think the game. He could look extremely good on a future line with Max Domi and Henrik Samuelsson in the desert.

If not Perlini: Kasperi Kapanen
Just FYI, but Domi and Samuelsson are being groomed to be NHL wingers. If we do draft Perlini or any pure winger in the 1st, it's very likely he's not going to be on the same line w/ both our last two first-rounders.

IPreferPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2014, 03:06 PM
Mikey 48
Still D.R.E.J.

I really like both Barbashev and Schmaltz (28 is TB's pick), but I think we'd only do this if we can get another 2nd round pick somehow (trading Purcell?) and pick some RHDs in the second round.

Mikey 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2014, 03:10 PM
R S

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
Just FYI, but Domi and Samuelsson are being groomed to be NHL wingers. If we do draft Perlini or any pure winger in the 1st, it's very likely he's not going to be on the same line w/ both our last two first-rounders.
Thanks for the feedback. Still liking the versatility those guys provide, if nothing else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey 48 View Post
I really like both Barbashev and Schmaltz (28 is TB's pick), but I think we'd only do this if we can get another 2nd round pick somehow (trading Purcell?) and pick some RHDs in the second round.
Noted! Thanks.

Old
06-07-2014, 03:17 PM
Joey Bones
Gorilla Lives Matter

No Honka in the 1st!!

Joey Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2014, 03:24 PM
boltsfan9186

vCash: 50
I really like this mock.

boltsfan9186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2014, 03:25 PM
Morry83
14-90-91

The Stars can use help in all aspects of their prospect pool? I don't think so haha.

I personally like the Kapanen pick, and I'd be fine with either him or Milano.

Morry83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2014, 03:27 PM
R S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bones View Post
No Honka in the 1st!!
Yeah, was a tough guy to leave out. I could see him going to a team like Tampa Bay late in the 1st in all reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan9175 View Post
I really like this mock.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morry83 View Post
The Stars can use help in all aspects of their prospect pool? I don't think so haha.

I personally like the Kapanen pick, and I'd be fine with either him or Milano.
All that really means is that I see their pool as being very well rounded. Not super deep at any one spot, no super big studs, but no super big weaknesses, either.

Old
06-07-2014, 03:29 PM
landy92mack29
Wakey Wakey Backes

still think avs will go with the 1st line offensive skills of goldobin over the completeness of bleackley.
also think honka will go in mckeown's spot with mckeown falling to lightnings spot.

landy92mack29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2014, 03:55 PM
Morry83
14-90-91

Quote:
All that really means is that I see their pool as being very well rounded. Not super deep at any one spot, no super big studs, but no super big weaknesses, either.
Ahhh, ok, I gotcha. Great mock btw.

Morry83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2014, 04:07 PM
R S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morry83 View Post
Ahhh, ok, I gotcha. Great mock btw.
Thanks.

Probably could have been worded better, but I just whipped this up in under 2 hours so people should cut me some slack. Haha.

Old
06-07-2014, 04:15 PM
landy92mack29
Wakey Wakey Backes

Quote:
Thanks.

Probably could have been worded better, but I just whipped this up in under 2 hours so people should cut me some slack. Haha.
overall good job

landy92mack29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2014, 04:24 PM
R S

Quote:
Originally Posted by landy92mack29 View Post
overall good job
Thanks.

Old
06-07-2014, 04:31 PM
ForeverFlameFan
Go Flames Go!

I've only been an HF member for about a month and a half now, but all the posts you post are very intellectual RS. I like this mock too, especially coming from a Flames' fan. Any of the top 4 will do.

ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2014, 04:37 PM
R S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I've only been an HF member for about a month and a half now, but all the posts you post are very intellectual RS. I like this mock too, especially coming from a Flames' fan. Any of the top 4 will do.
Thanks my man, glad you liked it.

Old
06-07-2014, 04:37 PM
Chan790

Quote:
7. Carolina Hurricanes - Nikolaj Ehlers - Halifax Mooseheds - LW

The Hurricanes think long and hard about this one, passing up big rugged Nick Ritchie to select the smart and highly-skilled Ehlers. The import burst onto the scene this season, lighting things up with the 2013 Memorial Cup Champion Mooseheads. He's got top end speed and smarts and adds an elite-level skill player to a franchise that was 22nd in goals and 28th on the PP in 2013-14.
Do not want. Honestly prefer to see the Canes taking four of the next five guys over Ehlers. (Ritchie, Virtanen, Fleury, Perlini.)

Chan790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2014, 07:03 PM
ManByng
It's Me OilTastic

^disagree! Ehlers is the most offensively gifted of the group and likely the BPA. I could see the Canes taking him easily.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2014, 10:33 PM
Devils Army
Zacha for President

Now way we take DeAngelo if not Vrana, we have way too many d-man. People seem to think we need dmen because Larsson isnt Nick Lidstrom yet...

Devils Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2014, 11:08 PM
Juxtaposer
Window: Closed

Quote:
He started from the bottom, now he's here
Is that so? Then the Sharks will only take Sandheim if Logan Couture's making the pick. Massive Drake fan, that kid.

Juxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2014, 11:31 PM
R S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Is that so? Then the Sharks will only take Sandheim if Logan Couture's making the pick. Massive Drake fan, that kid.
Yes, it is so.

Old
06-08-2014, 12:16 AM
Valarukar

Do you think McCann can move to wing? Also, why Schmaltz as their backup pick over the other wingers available?

Valarukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 01:26 AM
Patchey*

I personally don't agree with Honka falling out of the Top 10. I also believe San Jose should take a forward instead of a Defenceman they already drafted Mueller last year (not that I'm saying prospect depth is a bad thing, it certainly isn't!) I just feel that they would be better served elsewhere. I like the Nylander pick for the Canucks. IMO the highest ceiling in the draft, the kid just needs to put it altogether.

Overall solid Mock. The reasonings are solid and I especially like the "If not" part.

Patchey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 07:02 AM
GeauxPreds

It's nice to finally see a mock where the preds don't pick Fleury, Kapanen or Perlini at 11(though I wouldn't hate the kapanen pick there). Preds just need goalscoring and if the top 10 pans out close to how its expected to I don't see how we can pass someone who put up 45 goals in 58 games

GeauxPreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 09:55 AM
Doobie Dubois

Yeah I like it. The Canucks better take Nylander there if none of the top 5 fall. I'd be disappointed with Virtanen. Honka will be a first rounder. Too much hockey sense there to not be.

Doobie Dubois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 10:02 AM
ManByng
It's Me OilTastic

^the reason a lot of fans do mock lists and have the Canucks pass on Nylander is because he's seen as too small in our size obsessed NHL, and he doesn't have the obvious standout stats that a player in junior might have playing in a mens league in Europe, so hence players like Nick Ritchie are given to the Canucks. i'm willing to bet that in about 3 weeks time if Nylander is still sitting there at pick #6, the Canucks will snap him up!

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote