HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Andrew Ference Marches in Pride Parade (Edmonton)

Old
06-08-2014, 12:50 PM
Mc5RingsAndABeer
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Andrew Ference Marches in Pride Parade (Edmonton)

Andrew Ference taking part in the pride parade created a bit of a discussion on the Oilers board, including some posters suggesting he should be stripped of his captaincy. It's sad that this is still even a discussion point but those are the times we live in. We were told to continue it here.

Some news articles:
http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/oilers-ca...rade-1.1857996
http://oilersnation.com/2014/6/7/pri...rence-steps-up
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/MacKi...573/story.html
http://globalnews.ca/news/1380481/st...-pride-parade/

Here's where most of the political discussion started on the Oilers forum (locked so I can't quote):
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1#post86168981

Mc5RingsAndABeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 12:57 PM
Beerz

vCash: 500
I'm no supporter of Gay Marriage or anything like that...but to strip him of his Captaincy or even berate him for supporting something he believes in is rather stupid.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 01:23 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
I'm no supporter of equal rights or anything like that....
Fixed.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 01:31 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

They wanted to strip him of his captaincy? Wow.

What about being proud of him instead?

Maybe Ference is aware of closed gay teammates and that's his way of supporting them?

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 01:32 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Fixed.
Interesting.

Old
06-08-2014, 01:37 PM
Mc5RingsAndABeer
5-14-6-1

Quote:
I'm no supporter of Gay Marriage or anything like that...but to strip him of his Captaincy or even berate him for supporting something he believes in is rather stupid.
I respect the fact that you are willing to separate sociopolitical beliefs from hockey.

I'm just curious as to why you don't support gay marriage. A poster on the Oilers forum suggested that he didn't support gay marriage because he believed in the infallibility of the bible (and provided quotes outlining how homosexuality was wrong). Do you share similar beliefs?

Mc5RingsAndABeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 01:37 PM
Johnnywhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
They wanted to strip him of his captaincy? Wow.

What about being proud of him instead?

Maybe Ference is aware of closed gay teammates and that's his way of supporting them?
Maybe he's evolved enough to simply believe in equality, whatever his motivation, more power to him & screw that self righteous bigoted ******** on the Oilers forum.

Johnnywhite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 01:40 PM
GarbageGoal
AKA Section109

I'm proud to wear his name on the back of my Bruins jersey. Andy stands for what he believes in, the guy is a real man.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 01:40 PM
Beau Knows
Captain Canada

I don't really think he should have been the Oilers captain either, but for hockey related reasons.

Good for him for choosing to openly participate in something that I'm sure he knew would cause some to be critical of him.

Beau Knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 01:41 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
I respect the fact that you are willing to separate sociopolitical beliefs from hockey.

I'm just curious as to why you don't support gay marriage. A poster on the Oilers forum suggested that he didn't support gay marriage because he believed in the infallibility of the bible (and provided quotes outlining how homosexuality was wrong). Do you share similar beliefs?
No. I don't believe in any sort of God really.

Old
06-08-2014, 01:44 PM
Kurtosis
RTJ

Good to see him standing up (and walking as it were) for equality. The Oilers fan who posted the Bible crap can get bent.

Kurtosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 01:48 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Don't see what the big issue is here. One bigoted posted on the Oilers Board appears to be the only person being quoted with his shorts in a twist over this. Are we creating threads now because of something a single poster says on a Hockey discussion board?

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 01:49 PM
GarbageGoal
AKA Section109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
Good to see him standing up (and walking as it were) for equality. The Oilers fan who posted the Bible crap can get bent.
The Oiler fan should put down the bible and learn to write a rational sentence that makes a bit of sense.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 01:55 PM
Beau Knows
Captain Canada

Quote:
Then what's the reason to be against it? Just curious because I don't recall hearing anyone be opposed to it for reasons that weren't religious.

Beau Knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 01:57 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Don't see what the big issue is here. One bigoted posted on the Oilers Board appears to be the only person being quoted with his shorts in a twist over this. Are we creating threads now because of something a single poster says on a Hockey discussion board?
This. I agree with the people who say when homosexuality or anything related to it is treated as no big deal, those who are talking about it will stop. At this point, hockey players participating in gay pride parades is normal and has been for at least 5 years. I don't see the need to make a big deal of one hockey player participating and one person's bigotry against it anymore.

Leafsdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 02:00 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Knows View Post
Then what's the reason to be against it? Just curious because I don't recall hearing anyone be opposed to it for reasons that weren't religious.
Well I also don't believe Polygamy or Incest or under-aged marriage should be allowed either and I'd venture to guess a majority of people feel the same way. Yet we don't hear about that infringing on anyones equal rights.

Should homosexuals be allowed to live and share their life together without being discriminated against or jailed or stoned? Yes. It's their lives..they should be able to live it how they see fit. Do I agree with it or see it as normal? No. I do not.

Old
06-08-2014, 02:02 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
So what then, it's all got to do with natural laws or something?

Homosexual activities do exist within other species, you know. And even if it didn't, it's been a part of the human experience for as long as historical records exist, so that tends to prove that it's just a reality that some human beings are born into, as part of who they are. Why should the broader social context not accept that? It doesn't harm anyone; the only thing harmful is the prejudice that exists against it.

Quote:
Well I also don't believe Polygamy or Incest or under-aged marriage should be allowed either and I'd venture to guess a majority of people feel the same way. Yet we don't hear about that infringing on anyones equal rights.
If it involves consenting adults and there's ultimately no inherent harm to anyone outside the relationship, then those things are all just social prejudices. Of course, with incest, if children are born from such a relationship then it can be argued that there is inherent harm with the potential of genetic disorders. However, there are ways around that as well, such as an incestuous couple not having children... So ultimately, no harm, no foul.

Last edited by MoreOrr: 06-08-2014 at 02:09 PM.
MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 02:02 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:

Should homosexuals be allowed to live and share their life together without being discriminated against or jailed or stoned? Yes. It's their lives..they should be able to live it how they see fit. Do I agree with it or see it as normal? No. I do not.

Old
06-08-2014, 02:03 PM
Kurtosis
RTJ

Between Beerz and that poster Broilers I'm almost at my fill for Sunday entertainment. Thanks guys.

The comparison with incest was a good one.

Kurtosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 02:06 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
So what then, it's all got to do with natural laws or something?

Homosexual activities do exist within other species, you know. And even if it didn't, it's been a part of the human experience for as long as historical records exist, so that tends to prove that it's just a reality that some human beings are born into, as part of who they are. Why should the broader social context not accept that? It doesn't harm anyone; the only thing harmful is the prejudice that exists against it.
I can show you videos of turtles humping shoes too..or my dog humping my leg. Having it be a part of human records since time has begun does not prove people are born that way nor that it's right.

Old
Tim Calhoun
Tim Calhoun

No surprise such hate-filled intolerance would come from Oilers fans.

Tim Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
Between Beerz and that poster Broilers I'm almost at my fill for Sunday entertainment. Thanks guys.

The comparison with incest was a good one.
I prefer the one about child brides. Because nothing compares with two adults entering in a legal contract better than a 40 year old fat guy paying off a poor family for their 8 year old daughter.

Old
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
Serious.

Old
06-08-2014, 02:07 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Quote:
I can show you videos of turtles humping shoes too..or my dog humping my leg. Having it be a part of human records since time has begun does not prove people are born that way nor that it's right.
So now it's equivalent to beastality. Oh, please, do explain why it's not right.

Quote:
Serious.
Then you're a moran.

Old
06-08-2014, 02:08 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
I prefer the one about child brides. Because nothing compares with two adults entering in a legal contract better than a 40 year old fat guy paying off a poor family for their 8 year old daughter.
It's not a comparison...it is to show that we as a Society do put limits on all our "Rights" and they're not quite as "Equal" as you'd like to think.