HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Andrew Ference Marches in Pride Parade (Edmonton)

Old
06-08-2014, 05:07 PM
Xelebes

vCash: 500
Was at the parade yesterday but didn't see him. Missed him, obviously. I can certainly think of a few people who would blurt out this idiocy of stripping his captaincy for him. As long as they are powerless minority, I can laugh at him. Hope to see Ference there next year.

Xelebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 05:08 PM
Kurtosis
Lolla Approaching

Yeah, that dude is serious.

Kurtosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 05:15 PM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
There is literally zero proof in all of recorded history that God exists, let alone that God disapproves of equality and tolerance.

The bible is not proof.
For you it might not be but for many the Bible is the word of God. The God of the Bible certainly doesn't approve of homosexuality or gay marriage-no matter how certain people might like to spin it.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 05:17 PM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

vCash: 541
Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
Not everyone subscribes to your religion, why should non Christians be subjected to your religious rules?

Vyacheslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 05:20 PM
Kurtosis
Lolla Approaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
For you it might not be but for many the Bible is the word of God. The God of the Bible certainly doesn't approve of homosexuality or gay marriage-no matter how certain people might like to spin it.
Why should we care?

Kurtosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 05:22 PM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

vCash: 541
Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
God makes gay people, then forbids people to be gay. Who would want to worship such a psycho? If that god came to me and said he was real and proved it, I would reject his religion just to spite him.

Vyacheslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 05:29 PM
Ozamataz Buckshank

Ference to all the homophobic bigots still living in the 1950's

Ozamataz Buckshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 05:53 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
Why should we care?
We shouldn't. I'm comforted by the fact that I know I'm on the right side of history and so are the vast majority of people in this thread.

Free Torts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 06:04 PM
Ilkka Sinisalo
Amazing American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
I can show you videos of turtles humping shoes too..or my dog humping my leg. Having it be a part of human records since time has begun does not prove people are born that way nor that it's right.

Ilkka Sinisalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 06:04 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
Why should we care?
Because obviously now you can never have gay sex with God for every second of every moment for eternity. So much for my idea of 'heaven".

Damn you bible!!!

I think I'm gonna curl up with a couple Village People albums and cry myself to sleep.

slip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 06:49 PM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
But God exists. He is best possible explanation for the existence of matter

Start here

And here

Doppler Drift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 06:51 PM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
So you have personally spoken with this entity on the subject then?

Old
06-08-2014, 07:05 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
For anyone who's grown up in a secular(or mostly) household it's really easy to criticize people's religious beliefs.

But when people are raised, since birth, literally with a "fear of God" for disobeying his words or even standing by letting others disobey them, you can't simply ridicule them or throw science at them, as neither is a particularly effective method of de-religioning them. Unless you're talking about someone who is inherently skeptical by nature, it's no easy feat to try and convince someone raised a certain way to abandon values they see as divine for a more universally accepted version.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 07:29 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
But when people are raised, since birth, literally with a "fear of God" for disobeying his words or even standing by letting others disobey them, you can't simply ridicule them or throw science at them, as neither is a particularly effective method of de-religioning them. Unless you're talking about someone who is inherently skeptical by nature, it's no easy feat to try and convince someone raised a certain way to abandon values they see as divine for a more universally accepted version.
You paint such a hopeless, discouraging picture.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 07:30 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
That is fine, but their beliefs should not be used as a basis to infringe upon the rights of other people.

It is a tragedy that the bible is being used to justify bigotry when it is actually contrary to the way Christians attempt to portray themselves.

Quote:
For anyone who's grown up in a secular(or mostly) household it's really easy to criticize people's religious beliefs.

Good post. I personally do think people can change by being challenged on their beliefs, but it usually has to occur pretty early on in their development. I believe that because I was one of the people I am now arguing against - I used many of the same arguments in this thread back in high school. Nobody really called me out on it and I wish they had. I cringe every time I think about it. I just grew up in a bubble and hadn't been exposed to the real world. Years of religious dogma being reinforced by people in a position of power does make people very unreceptive to change, but I do think it's possible.

Most religious people are intelligent, genuinely nice people. The ones that are willfully ignorant are obviously not going to change their minds, but it's worth having a discussion with the rest.

Last edited by 5RingsAndABeer: 06-08-2014 at 07:59 PM.
5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 07:32 PM
Doppler Drift

Quote:

My parents were both religious their entire lives. They were very active in the church. But they both also recognized my interest in science and never tried to hold me back. Instead they encouraged me. And ended up raising an atheist (I'm not totally averse to the idea of a higher being or entity. But I am positive such an entity, if it existed, would beyond our reality, outside our universe and thus beyond our comprehension).

Somehow we managed to love each other for the rest of their time on Earth.

Last edited by Doppler Drift: 06-08-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old
06-08-2014, 07:36 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
A lot of Christians are intelligent, genuinely nice people. The ones that are willfully ignorant are obviously not going to change their minds, but it's worth having a discussion with the rest.
Could you at least extend that description to other faiths and not just specify christians. Something like, (most) 'religious people' are intelligent, genuinely nice people...
I added the word "most" in order to possibly make it easier for you.

I mean, if you can't then I can understand, but don't just single the christians out as being somehow special.

Last edited by MoreOrr: 06-08-2014 at 07:56 PM. Reason: added in a comment
MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 07:41 PM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Could you at least extend that description to other faiths and not just specify christians. Something like, (most) 'religious people' are intelligent, genuinely nice people...
The Scientologists can get stuffed.

Old
06-08-2014, 07:45 PM
Free Torts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler Drift View Post
The Scientologists can get stuffed.
Hare Krishnas, too. **** the Hare Krishnas.

Old
06-08-2014, 07:49 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Torts View Post
Hare Krishnas, too. **** the Hare Krishnas.
They're very annoying, but harmless.

Concordski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 07:51 PM
Free Torts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concordski View Post
They're very annoying, but harmless.
True. FWIW, I find JWs far more annoying (and infinitely more harmful) than Hare Krishnas. I pity the children who are raised in that messed up religion.

Old
06-08-2014, 07:59 PM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Torts View Post
True. FWIW, I find JWs far more annoying (and infinitely more harmful) than Hare Krishnas. I pity the children who are raised in that messed up religion.
Why the Hare Krishnas? They're not so bad, give out food even.

The Jehovas?

Old
06-08-2014, 08:00 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
It's not a comparison...it is to show that we as a Society do put limits on all our "Rights" and they're not quite as "Equal" as you'd like to think.
You've made this point several times over. Point noted.

What you have not done, is explain why you believe that marriage should not be an option to gay people specifically.

I'm also interested in seeing this opinion justified from a non-religious perspective, which is something I can't remember ever hearing before.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 08:01 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post

I mean, if you can't then I can understand, but don't just single the christians out as being somehow special.
Changed it. It might be due to a variety of biases but I found that most of the opposition to gay marriage in North America comes from Christians.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2014, 08:15 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
He also doesn't approve of touching the hand of women on their period. But I'm sure a real man like you keeps track of such things too.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote