HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could the NHL step in?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-23-2014, 08:00 AM
  #1
Throttlehead
Registered User
 
Throttlehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,206
vCash: 390
Could the NHL step in?

Is it just the CBA that defines what obligations a NHL owner has to live up to?

You would think that all the owners in the league are very pissed off at the situation in Edmonton, the constant top picks, while other teams are trying to build as well etc. They already changed the rules for getting #1 overall, one can only assume this to be the Oiler rule. If we finish in the bottom 2 spot, I don't believe there is another team in NHL history that has this many top picks in a 6 year span.

Every owner/manager around the league can see its simply the case of poor management that has sent the Oilers in a tailspin with no signs of recovery. Each decision they make to correct a mistake seems to be worse, while keeping the same people in charge.

The people/fans really don't have any power other than buying the tickets, they used to have a wild card in the rink, since Katz got the approval and the needed tax payer money, its game set match. If this franchise was in the USA, it would be toast, Katz is so lucky its in a fanatic hockey market. If the Oilers had moved to Seattle, the Lowe/MacT/Howson trio would be gone.

Does the NHL board of Governors have any power to scold Katz?

Throttlehead is offline  
Old
12-23-2014, 08:05 AM
  #2
Helistin
Dustin's equilibrium
 
Helistin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Close to you
Country: Heard and McDonald Islands
Posts: 2,384
vCash: 500
I find this interesting also. I would think there are all kinds of rules about damaging the reputation and integrity of NHL. Wonder if any of them would apply here?

Helistin is offline  
Old
12-23-2014, 08:16 AM
  #3
NeutralZone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 321
vCash: 500
I don't think other teams care. Their priority is to win, for their own fans. Edmonton isn't a cup threat. They're happy to have someone else sucking it up at the bottom of the league.

As for soaking up top picks, Edmonton is unlikely to get 1st overall again, and the ones they've gotten already are hardly game breaking stars. I hardly think other teams who have had high picks in those drafts feel cheated.

NeutralZone is offline  
Old
12-23-2014, 08:29 AM
  #4
BoHorvat 53
What's God to Kane
 
BoHorvat 53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,510
vCash: 289
I think not, not 100% sure though

BoHorvat 53 is offline  
Old
12-23-2014, 08:30 AM
  #5
BarDownMcBobo
Registered User
 
BarDownMcBobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Yak City
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,476
vCash: 512
This exact thread popped up yesterday. Answer is no.

BarDownMcBobo is offline  
Old
12-23-2014, 08:43 AM
  #6
Throttlehead
Registered User
 
Throttlehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,206
vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
I don't think other teams care. Their priority is to win, for their own fans. Edmonton isn't a cup threat. They're happy to have someone else sucking it up at the bottom of the league.

As for soaking up top picks, Edmonton is unlikely to get 1st overall again, and the ones they've gotten already are hardly game breaking stars. I hardly think other teams who have had high picks in those drafts feel cheated.
It isn't about being a cup threat.

Its about other teams that are suffering and trying to build through the draft, while the Oilers are the puck hogs of the draft on a consistent basis. The others at the bottom aren't happy that the Oilers keep sucking. This is the main reason for the draft in the first place, it wasn't meant for poor management to take the prizes. It doesn't only affect #1 overall but tops in every round, which affects all teams.

Its not like the Oilers are NOT the laughing stock of the NHL while daily jokes being made about them by other teams and management.

Throttlehead is offline  
Old
12-23-2014, 08:48 AM
  #7
OilDrop37
Registered User
 
OilDrop37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Flames Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,969
vCash: 10185
Nobody gives a crap. If the reason they do is because they want to try and out tank us, then they get what they deserve. The Oilers should be the poster child of how NOT to build a franchise.

OilDrop37 is offline  
Old
12-23-2014, 08:49 AM
  #8
Throttlehead
Registered User
 
Throttlehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,206
vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helistin View Post
I find this interesting also. I would think there are all kinds of rules about damaging the reputation and integrity of NHL. Wonder if any of them would apply here?
I read the CBA, there is nothing infringing there.

You would think there needs to be some kind of accountability to the league. You cant just have a Kim Jong Un running a team.

Throttlehead is offline  
Old
12-23-2014, 08:50 AM
  #9
Throttlehead
Registered User
 
Throttlehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,206
vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Nobody gives a crap. If the reason they do is because they want to try and out tank us, then they get what they deserve. The Oilers should be the poster child of how NOT to build a franchise.
The draft is not meant for tanking, you are missing the point.

Throttlehead is offline  
Old
12-23-2014, 08:51 AM
  #10
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles
 
Jimmi McJenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,040
vCash: 500
FFS

No, the League couldn't "step in" because the Oilers are still very solvent, that's what the League does and should care about. The team sucks, if you bothers you this much, get a new team.

Jimmi McJenkins is offline  
Old
12-23-2014, 08:53 AM
  #11
czar99
Registered User
 
czar99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Shultz'z Place
Posts: 4,124
vCash: 50
I gets the feeling that the Oilers will be picking no higher than second even if they "win" the lottery. 'Till they allow the lottery to unfold live i dont buy it for a minute.

czar99 is offline  
Old
12-23-2014, 09:02 AM
  #12
Throttlehead
Registered User
 
Throttlehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,206
vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
FFS

No, the League couldn't "step in" because the Oilers are still very solvent, that's what the League does and should care about. The team sucks, if you bothers you this much, get a new team.
FFS if it bothers you so much, stay out of the thread.

Its not about the team sucking, its about why the team has sucked, sucks and will suck under current control.

Hypothetical, if the Oilers or ANY team had 10 first overall picks, do the board of governors (who run the league) have a right to step in? The draft is a tool set up for the advancement of poorer teams to become competitive.

Throttlehead is offline  
Old
12-23-2014, 09:07 AM
  #13
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles
 
Jimmi McJenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlehead View Post
FFS if it bothers you so much, stay out of the thread.

Its not about the team sucking, its about why the team has sucked, sucks and will suck under current control.

Hypothetical, if the Oilers or ANY team had 10 first overall picks, do the board of governors (who run the league) have a right to step in? The draft is a tool set up for the advancement of poorer teams to become competitive.
It's about you feeling entitled to be a better team, which simply isn't the case. We all deserve a better team, but they aren't so you either deal with that or get out, but you've chosen spam entitlement at everyone.

Daryl Katz owns the team, not you , not me, so he's entitled to run it how he see fit. Even if we don't agree with that, and we don't, trust me, he's not "beholden" to anyone but himself.

Just because you're an upset fan, doesn't mean you're entitled to have the league take over. Get over yourself, we all have to endure then and we ALL AREN'T happy, you aren't unique or special in that way, other then you're more spammy(trademark) about being entitled to be.

So I'll say it again, if you don't like it, suck it up or get out, because spamming BS at us isn't going to do anything other then alienate "fellow fans"

Jimmi McJenkins is offline  
Old
12-23-2014, 09:13 AM
  #14
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 12,942
vCash: 500
Are you kidding? LOL The NHL loves the oilers and their organization.

They got a new arena almost fully paid for by public money, the fans are still coming out after a decade of hopeless horrible management and are a solid franchise. The oilers are what the nhl hopes every single team would be like.

Public funding, a dumb ass fan base that pays up no matter what and zero accountability.

Beerfish is offline  
Old
12-23-2014, 09:21 AM
  #15
ThePhoenixx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Are you kidding? LOL The NHL loves the oilers and their organization.

They got a new arena almost fully paid for by public money, the fans are still coming out after a decade of hopeless horrible management and are a solid franchise. The oilers are what the nhl hopes every single team would be like.

Public funding, a dumb ass fan base that pays up no matter what and zero accountability.
Toronto West!

ThePhoenixx is offline  
Old
12-23-2014, 09:22 AM
  #16
Throttlehead
Registered User
 
Throttlehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,206
vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
It's about you feeling entitled to be a better team, which simply isn't the case. We all deserve a better team, but they aren't so you either deal with that or get out, but you've chosen spam entitlement at everyone.

Daryl Katz owns the team, not you , not me, so he's entitled to run it how he see fit. Even if we don't agree with that, and we don't, trust me, he's not "beholden" to anyone but himself.

Just because you're an upset fan, doesn't mean you're entitled to have the league take over. Get over yourself, we all have to endure then and we ALL AREN'T happy, you aren't unique or special in that way, other then you're more spammy(trademark) about being entitled to be.

So I'll say it again, if you don't like it, suck it up or get out, because spamming BS at us isn't going to do anything other then alienate "fellow fans"
You are missing the entire point!! Feeling entitled to be a better team, just stop.

To be quite honest, I'm not unhappy, and it has nothing to do with "get over yourself". In no place did I say the league should take over, you made that jump yourself.

Its asking a very simple question about obligations of a NHL franchise owner.

Here is another simple question, if Katz was trying to get the approval for the rink in Edmonton at this point (with added tax payer money), would it happen without changes? He owns the team but he had help building a rink.

If its spam to you, DONT READ IT, AND DONT REPLY.

If it alienates other fans like you, too bad, suck it up, its a discussion board.

Throttlehead is offline  
Old
12-23-2014, 09:29 AM
  #17
McDorian2
Positional Bias.
 
McDorian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,979
vCash: 50
I think at this point the Oilers are a mere afterthought for most of the teams...owners included.

Oilers are making money.

Other teams are receiving their transfer payments due to the Oiler success at the box office.

Everyone's happy. Except of course for the most important people...the Oiler fans themselves.

McDorian2 is offline  
Old
12-23-2014, 09:36 AM
  #18
Throttlehead
Registered User
 
Throttlehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,206
vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
I think at this point the Oilers are a mere afterthought for most of the teams...owners included.

Oilers are making money.

Other teams are receiving their transfer payments due to the Oiler success at the box office.

Everyone's happy. Except of course for the most important people...the Oiler fans themselves.
They already changed the draft rules, there must have been some concern.

Yes as long as they make money and transfer payments are made, I suppose no one cares. If the Canadian dollar takes a big hit, things can change quickly if all the seats aren't full.

Throttlehead is offline  
Old
12-23-2014, 09:40 AM
  #19
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles
 
Jimmi McJenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlehead View Post
You are missing the entire point!! Feeling entitled to be a better team, just stop.

To be quite honest, I'm not unhappy, and it has nothing to do with "get over yourself". In no place did I say the league should take over, you made that jump yourself.

Its asking a very simple question about obligations of a NHL franchise owner.

Here is another simple question, if Katz was trying to get the approval for the rink in Edmonton at this point (with added tax payer money), would it happen without changes? He owns the team but he had help building a rink.

If its spam to you, DONT READ IT, AND DONT REPLY.

If it alienates other fans like you, too bad, suck it up, its a discussion board.
I'm not "missing the point" I called you on what you're doing.

Again, you say it's a discussion board, you started the thread, YOU opened yourself up, I called you out and now you're not happy about it, so you're scrambling.

WE ARE ALL UNHAPPY WITH THE STATE OF THE TEAM, no one is happy with anything, if you believe otherwise you aren't paying attention, but if you're going to post ridiculous things like this thread, ridicule comes with the territory.

Jimmi McJenkins is offline  
Old
12-23-2014, 09:46 AM
  #20
OilDrop37
Registered User
 
OilDrop37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Flames Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,969
vCash: 10185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlehead View Post
The draft is not meant for tanking, you are missing the point.
Must be, but I've read your posts and I still don't understand what "point" your trying to make?

If it's whether or not the league should step in because the Oilers are inept? Then that's silly, money talks, Oilers pay their own way and more.

Are you asking if the league should step in because the Oilers are intentionally tanking for top picks? Then I answered that one.

Are you asking for the league to step in because this embarrassment of a franchise is killing us fans? Then I think JJ answered that.

OilDrop37 is offline  
Old
12-23-2014, 09:48 AM
  #21
Throttlehead
Registered User
 
Throttlehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,206
vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I'm not "missing the point" I called you on what you're doing.

Again, you say it's a discussion board, you started the thread, YOU opened yourself up, I called you out and now you're not happy about it, so you're scrambling.

WE ARE ALL UNHAPPY WITH THE STATE OF THE TEAM, no one is happy with anything, if you believe otherwise you aren't paying attention, but if you're going to post ridiculous things like this thread, ridicule comes with the territory.
Its your opinion on why I posted it and I'm telling you the point was missed by you.

Why did they change the draft rules?

Would the rink go ahead today with the current Oiler ownership/management?

Can an owner do anything he likes with a team while being part of the NHL?

Throttlehead is offline  
Old
12-23-2014, 09:54 AM
  #22
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.
 
oilers_guy_eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: This Is Fail County
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 11,048
vCash: 500
If ever there was a time when the league would have stepped in to "fix" a franchise, it would have been during the Bill Wirtz era in Chicago, when one of the league's cornerstone franchises in one of the league's largest markets was being run into the ground by an old ******* who just didn't give a ****. The state of the Hawks was a detriment not just to Chicago fans, but to the league as a whole, and the league would have loved to have done something about it. They didn't, and couldn't.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline  
Old
12-23-2014, 09:57 AM
  #23
Throttlehead
Registered User
 
Throttlehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,206
vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Must be, but I've read your posts and I still don't understand what "point" your trying to make?

If it's whether or not the league should step in because the Oilers are inept? Then that's silly, money talks, Oilers pay their own way and more.

Are you asking if the league should step in because the Oilers are intentionally tanking for top picks? Then I answered that one.

Are you asking for the league to step in because this embarrassment of a franchise is killing us fans? Then I think JJ answered that.
Fair enough.

Let me try again

If you are a owner in the NHL, and you are doing your best to win and run your team, but for whatever reasons you are in a position to build your team through the draft. I guess I am saying that an obvious inept team is in your way of having a FAIR chance to doing what should be a fair system. They did already change the draft rules, so obviously it is a concern from the board of governors. Is it coincidence that rule was just made? I guess you could say I am asking about inept ownership and management, but are other owners also concerned about that. (specifically the draft) which is what I put in FIRST post.

It has nothing to do with embarrassment and killing fans, thats just a rant.

Throttlehead is offline  
Old
12-23-2014, 10:01 AM
  #24
Throttlehead
Registered User
 
Throttlehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,206
vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie View Post
If ever there was a time when the league would have stepped in to "fix" a franchise, it would have been during the Bill Wirtz era in Chicago, when one of the league's cornerstone franchises in one of the league's largest markets was being run into the ground by an old ******* who just didn't give a ****. The state of the Hawks was a detriment not just to Chicago fans, but to the league as a whole, and the league would have loved to have done something about it. They didn't, and couldn't.
Very true I guess, Ballard was also insane.

Throttlehead is offline  
Old
12-23-2014, 11:02 AM
  #25
Digger12
Gold Fever
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Back o' beyond
Posts: 15,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlehead View Post
They already changed the draft rules, there must have been some concern.

Yes as long as they make money and transfer payments are made, I suppose no one cares. If the Canadian dollar takes a big hit, things can change quickly if all the seats aren't full.
They changed the draft rules, but was it strictly because of Edmonton?

I tend to think that given that changes to how the draft lottery works have mostly been tied to years that a lockout occurred (draft lottery was created in '95, and the "only fall a max of 4 spots" rule was discarded after the 2012 draft), that these changes can be used as a sort of carrot to the big market teams to go along with the lockout.

Agreed about the Canadian dollar, it's dropped 10 cents compared to when Katz first bought the Oilers...drop another 10 cents and we could be see the Canadian teams asking about bringing back the Canadian dollar equalization payments they used to bank on.

Digger12 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.