HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around The League: Hockey is Back!

Closed Thread

Old
08-21-2014, 02:03 AM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
There isn't someone more deserving though. Maybe change the A's to only Hendricks, and whoever proves they deserve it

Old
08-21-2014, 02:10 AM
Spawn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
There isn't someone more deserving though. Maybe change the A's to only Hendricks, and whoever proves they deserve it
Taylor Hall is the emotional leader of this organization. Maybe he's not ready for to be the captain right now. But he absolutely needs to have a full time A. We need to groom him for the position he will inevitably take over as this teams captain.

As for an A for Hendricks... meh. Do we really want 2 of the 3 players wearing letters being non-impacts the majority of the time.

Old
08-21-2014, 10:32 AM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Pretty much everyone on the team is an Assistant Captain already. Hell, I think *I* was given an "A" last season.

Old
08-22-2014, 08:11 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
Look at the two teams who made the Cup Final last year and their captains.

Old
08-25-2014, 12:54 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Louis Debrusk won't return as colourman on Sportsnet Oilers games this year. I'm hearing former Sharks and NNIC analyst Drew Remenda is front runner to replace Debrusk. I'm not a fan of firing guys this close to start of a season, whether it is a coach or broadcaster. It limits their opportunity to find work. I won't be surprised if we see Debrusk get some time on a panel this year. He was outstanding at breaking down games on my show when he did Coyotes broadcasts.

I liked Debrusk, was shocked he was wasn't fired for his incident in Vancouver a few years back even if it wasn't his fault.

Old
08-25-2014, 01:35 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Louis Debrusk won't return as colourman on Sportsnet Oilers games this year. I'm hearing former Sharks and NNIC analyst Drew Remenda is front runner to replace Debrusk. I'm not a fan of firing guys this close to start of a season, whether it is a coach or broadcaster. It limits their opportunity to find work. I won't be surprised if we see Debrusk get some time on a panel this year. He was outstanding at breaking down games on my show when he did Coyotes broadcasts.

I liked Debrusk, was shocked he was wasn't fired for his incident in Vancouver a few years back even if it wasn't his fault.
First, what happened in Vancouver? If Sportsnet let him go, that's just dumb, especially seeing at they need more quality hockey people, not less.

As for Remenda, are the Oilers really at the point where they really want a cheerleader as colour guy.

Old
08-25-2014, 02:01 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
First, what happened in Vancouver? If Sportsnet let him go, that's just dumb, especially seeing at they need more quality hockey people, not less.

As for Remenda, are the Oilers really at the point where they really want a cheerleader as colour guy.
http://bc.ctvnews.ca/beaten-vancouve...brusk-1.611668

Not sure whatever happened with it though

Old
08-25-2014, 07:07 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
I'm hoping Ferraro comes back. Nothing against DeBrusk but Ray's the man.

Old
08-25-2014, 07:40 PM
Puritania
5-14-6-1

vCash: 105
I actually liked DeBrusk. Quinn blows but DeBrusk was always solid imo. Drew Remenda ****ing sucks. Little, by little, Sportsnet keeps degrading, and degrading.

Old
08-25-2014, 09:03 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
I think Ferraro signed a long term deal with TSN. He's doing regional games and World Jrs.

Old
08-26-2014, 08:39 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Long-term deal with TSN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
I actually liked DeBrusk. Quinn blows but DeBrusk was always solid imo. Drew Remenda ****ing sucks. Little, by little, Sportsnet keeps degrading, and degrading.
I liked Debrusk as well. I am curious if there is more to the story or what as this really makes little sense.

Old
08-26-2014, 07:48 PM
topchowda

NHL expanding to Las Vegas? This is not going to end well.

I dont follow expansion talks alot, by why cant Quebec city handle a team, dont they have an NHL rink?

Old
08-26-2014, 10:14 PM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post

I dont follow expansion talks alot, by why cant Quebec city handle a team, dont they have an NHL rink?
that would be awesome adding an Oiler game to a Vegas road trip!

Old
08-27-2014, 12:05 AM
Smart Dunsparce*

vCash: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post

Not many realize that just like atlanta, QC has failed twice having NHL teams. Not that they shouldn't get one but imo they would get a team through relocation of an eastern conference team rather expansion as the conferences are uneven. With that said there are reports that by the centennial of the NHL in the 2016/17 season there would be 4 expansion teams Vegas, Seattle, Toronto 2 and QC.

Old
08-27-2014, 01:13 AM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

You know what's unanimously great? Desert hockey. I think the novelty will never get old. Why, a franchise like that is sure to succeed! Can't see why they haven't done it already!

Of all the major sports franchises to try Vegas, I just don't have a lot of faith in ice hockey. But, they'll be first. Can't lose fans to other sports if there are no other sports to watch

Old
08-27-2014, 07:22 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
You know what's unanimously great? Desert hockey. I think the novelty will never get old. Why, a franchise like that is sure to succeed! Can't see why they haven't done it already!

Of all the major sports franchises to try Vegas, I just don't have a lot of faith in ice hockey. But, they'll be first. Can't lose fans to other sports if there are no other sports to watch
They'll just lose fans to whatever it is that people in Vegas have done for years without any sports teams.

Old
08-27-2014, 08:45 AM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Dunsparce View Post
Not many realize that just like atlanta, QC has failed twice having NHL teams. Not that they shouldn't get one but imo they would get a team through relocation of an eastern conference team rather expansion as the conferences are uneven. With that said there are reports that by the centennial of the NHL in the 2016/17 season there would be 4 expansion teams Vegas, Seattle, Toronto 2 and QC.
I don't mind the idea of a vegas team, I just think the league should contract, not expand.
4 more teams? going to be a lot of teams with little overall talent, that's for sure.

Old
08-27-2014, 11:30 AM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

If the NHL was smart they would schedule a team like Edmonton on a Friday night in Phoenix and Sunday afternoon in Vegas (or vice versa). I think many of the western canadian fans would take advantage of a weekend in the sun during winter and catching a couple of Oilers games.

Flights to Vegas/Phoenix are about 250-300$ one way or one ticket at Rexall with Club Access. You can drive from Phoenix to Las Vegas in 5 hrs.

Old
08-27-2014, 01:14 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post
If the NHL was smart they would schedule a team like Edmonton on a Friday night in Phoenix and Sunday afternoon in Vegas (or vice versa). I think many of the western canadian fans would take advantage of a weekend in the sun during winter and catching a couple of Oilers games.

Flights to Vegas/Phoenix are about 250-300$ one way or one ticket at Rexall with Club Access. You can drive from Phoenix to Las Vegas in 5 hrs.
The Phoenix-California roadtrip has been quite common and a good way to coordinate and see cheap games.

So this is already going on and its just as close as Phoenix-Vegas

Old
08-27-2014, 05:12 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Quebec's arena opens in October 2015
Las Vegas arena opens in Spring 2016.
Seattle doesn't have a new arena
Toronto doesn't have a facility in Markham.

I thought i would throw that out there as an FYI.

Old
08-29-2014, 12:59 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post
Quebec's arena opens in October 2015
Las Vegas arena opens in Spring 2016.
Seattle doesn't have a new arena
Toronto doesn't have a facility in Markham.

I thought i would throw that out there as an FYI.
Quebec city can't support an NHL team at todays ticket prices.

Maybe they could get the feds to subsidize the cost of their season tickets..

Old
08-29-2014, 01:05 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Quebec city can't support an NHL team at todays ticket prices.

Maybe they could get the feds to subsidize the cost of their season tickets..
This is pretty pathetic there sir. Wow.

Old
08-29-2014, 06:57 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
This is pretty pathetic there sir. Wow.
My view on Quebec entitlement and the country supporting that province? Yeah that's my view. Most Albertans were enraged at even the thought that Fed money would go to pay for a Quebec arena. As it is half of it being contributed by the province of Quebec. But how does that province balance its books and at who's expense?

Oh, transfer payments and running up massive debt. So ironic that a dead broke province has money to pay for this.

You may want to read up given you have no idea;

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/08/17...ayment-program

Also just a breakdown of the latest revenue year. Quebec taking in 7.9B in transfer payments while contributing 2.8M to confederation. Entire transfer payments nationwide were 18B with Quebec, the welfare province, getting half of that.

Last edited by Replacement: 08-29-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old
08-29-2014, 08:17 PM
Balthazar
Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
My view on Quebec entitlement and the country supporting that province? Yeah that's my view. Most Albertans were enraged at even the thought that Fed money would go to pay for a Quebec arena. As it is half of it being contributed by the province of Quebec. But how does that province balance its books and at who's expense?

Oh, transfer payments and running up massive debt. So ironic that a dead broke province has money to pay for this.

You may want to read up given you have no idea;

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/08/17...ayment-program

Also just a breakdown of the latest revenue year. Quebec taking in 7.9B in transfer payments while contributing 2.8M to confederation. Entire transfer payments nationwide were 18B with Quebec, the welfare province, getting half of that.
Well that settles it then. Not like Habs fans can afford tickets or anything. It's not like unemployement in Quebec city is among the lowest in Canada (4.1%). Nope. A bunch of welfare bums that clearly can't afford hockey.

Old
08-29-2014, 10:06 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
Well that settles it then. Not like Habs fans can afford tickets or anything. It's not like unemployement in Quebec city is among the lowest in Canada (4.1%). Nope. A bunch of welfare bums that clearly can't afford hockey.
Unemployment figures don't include people not looking for work. Try again.

Wanna deal in real figures?

GDP per capita in Quebec is 44K. In Alberta its twice that at 80K. This is the most accurate snapshot of provincial per capita productivity. Quebec is better than only the Atlantic provinces in this regard.

Not good enough for you?

Average income in Quebec is 36K, better (by a small amount) than only the Atlantic Provinces. Average income in Alberta is 53K and increasing.

Oh, and Quebec is far below the Canadian average in any meaningful indices.

Let me if you want more..

ps I don't recall questioning Montreal in this. I do specifically question whether Quebec City could support todays version of high priced NHL hockey.

Closed Thread