HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around The League: Hockey is Back!

Old
06-09-2014, 09:52 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post
I honestly wouldn't even be surprised if this Ranger team didn't make the playoffs in the west.

Thats how big the disparity is.

The Rags are up a guy, and are hemmed in their own end. lol.
At least NY is feeling the pain we have to feel for most of the season.

The West is just so infinitely superior to the East it's not even funny.

Keep in mind the Rangers are probably the third best team in the East (overall, not necessarily standings-wise). The Penguins probably would've had worse happen to them.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 09:55 PM
CupofOil

vCash: 500
Quote:
This is the most boring SCF i can remember in recent years.
Did you miss the first 2 games? They were fantastic.
This game blew though. It's just a shame that the Kings got tons of lucky bounces and that the Rangers couldn't put the puck in the ocean with all the chances they had.
At least the positive is that the rumor mill should heat up by the weekend after L.A. closes it out.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 09:55 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
This series has certainly been much closer than 3-0.

I'd argue the Rangers were the better team the first 2 games. Heck, they outshot the Kings tonight 2:1 on the evening. Kings had 15 shots total.

There is just something special about this Kings team. Timely goal scoring and timely saves. It's crazy. The Kings are going to win the cup this year and their defensive play has been pretty awful. Quick hasn't been anywhere close to as good as he was on their previous cup run.

But they are scoring 3.5 goals a game. Which is ridiculous.
This is what scares me. The 2012 team was better than this team and they're STILL winning it handily.

Unfortunately for us, the Kings are going to be very good for a very long time.

Old
06-09-2014, 09:58 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
This is what scares me. The 2012 team was better than this team and they're STILL winning it handily.

The Oilers need to worry about catching the Flames of the world before they need to be worrying about the Kings. They still have an entire Mount Everest to climb.

Old
06-09-2014, 10:00 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
The Oilers need to worry about catching the Flames of the world before they need to be worrying about the Kings. They still have an entire Mount Everest to climb.
Of course but while the Kings are the best of the best, they're still much like most of the other playoff teams in the West. If Calgary is all we're aiming for, we're going to be in this cycle for a longass time.

Old
06-09-2014, 10:03 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Of course but while the Kings are the best of the best, they're still much like most of the other playoff teams in the West. If Calgary is all we're aiming for, we're going to be in this cycle for a longass time.
Not really. The Kings and Blues are the only ones that play a physical, shut down game. All the other west playoff teams are transition teams for the most part. The Ducks and Sharks are big but they play a high pace, skilled game.

Old
06-09-2014, 10:07 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Not really. The Kings and Blues are the only ones that play a physical, shut down game. All the other west playoff teams are transition teams for the most part. The Ducks and Sharks are big but they play a high pace, skilled game.
They're still big though. All of them. The Oilers are the tiny little guy trapped in the "Western Conference" ward of the NHL prison.

Chicago isn't as physical as LA but they're still quite big and can throw their weight around. Same goes for the Ducks and Sharks. Those 5 teams usually waste the Oilers for fun.

The only team we might actually be better than next year is either Winnipeg or Vancouver, and those teams have serious question marks in net.

Old
06-09-2014, 10:10 PM
iCanada

vCash: 400
Quote:
Did you miss the first 2 games? They were fantastic.
This game blew though. It's just a shame that the Kings got tons of lucky bounces and that the Rangers couldn't put the puck in the ocean with all the chances they had.
At least the positive is that the rumor mill should heat up by the weekend after L.A. closes it out.
Not really...

The kings came in and clearly didn't respect the Rangers both games, and it just didn't matter because they outclass them so much.

Even tonight the Kings have not played with anywhere near the moxy they did against SJS Chicago and Anaheim.

They aren't grinding out wins right now, thewy are playing sloppy and going throiugh the motions and just waltzing over the Rangers.

The Rags and the East should be embarrassed.

iCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 10:11 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
They're still big though. All of them. The Oilers are the tiny little guy trapped in the "Western Conference" ward of the NHL prison.

Chicago isn't as physical as LA but they're still quite big and can throw their weight around. Same goes for the Ducks and Sharks. Those 5 teams usually waste the Oilers for fun.

The only team we might actually be better than next year is either Winnipeg or Vancouver, and those teams have serious question marks in net.
Those teams won't seem as big when/if the Oilers get better players. It's not a matter of the Oilers getting bigger, it's a matter of them getting better. Plenty of average sized teams have had success in this league.

Old
06-09-2014, 10:11 PM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
This series has certainly been much closer than 3-0.

I'd argue the Rangers were the better team the first 2 games. Heck, they outshot the Kings tonight 2:1 on the evening. Kings had 15 shots total.

There is just something special about this Kings team. Timely goal scoring and timely saves. It's crazy. The Kings are going to win the cup this year and their defensive play has been pretty awful. Quick hasn't been anywhere close to as good as he was on their previous cup run.

But they are scoring 3.5 goals a game. Which is ridiculous.
I agree with all you said but Quick is playing like Dominek Hasek circa 99' (minus the cup loss) I mean two for sure goals and there stopped. If that first one off the post goes in its a different game, and that save off the shaft of his stick what the hell. Defensively this was a good game. Look at it as scoring chances vs shots on net. I thought kings made it a perimeter game for the Rangers.

BlowbyBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 10:12 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Those teams won't seem as big when/if the Oilers get better players. It's not a matter of the Oilers getting bigger, it's a matter of them getting better. Plenty of average sized teams have had success in this league.
Fair enough but they still need some meat. The Kings devour them each and every time they play, same with the Blues.

The problem here is that "better" players avoid this place like the plague and we don't have enough assets to trade for them either.

Old
06-09-2014, 10:15 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Not really...

The kings came in and clearly didn't respect the Rangers both games, and it just didn't matter because they outclass them so much.

Even tonight the Kings have not played with anywhere near the moxy they did against SJS Chicago and Anaheim.

They aren't grinding out wins right now, thewy are playing sloppy and going throiugh the motions and just waltzing over the Rangers.

The Rags and the East should be embarrassed.
I disagree. I doubt that any team takes another team lightly in the Stanley Cup finals especially an experienced team like the Kings who knows what it takes.
The Kings had to come back in 2 straight games and win in OT. You figured that the Rangers had the Kings full attention after Game 1 and the Rangers still had that game by the throat if it wasn't for a god awful non interference call on the 3rd goal. To say that the Rangers were outclassed in this series or that the Kings somehow took them lightly is simply false.

Old
06-09-2014, 10:16 PM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:

I know I'm tooting both there horns but I would say they have the best d-man in the world right now (doughty) and the best goalie, not regular season, but playoffs -imagine that -Quick is becoming a legend for just these defining moment saves.

And NYR hasn't been bad, but L.A. seizes the moment and you have to play a full 60. I agree with whoever said it on this forum there just going through the motions now.

Old
06-09-2014, 10:17 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Fair enough but they still need some meat. The Kings devour them each and every time they play, same with the Blues.

The problem here is that "better" players avoid this place like the plague and we don't have enough assets to trade for them either.
They do need a few bigger players but ultimately, it's going to depend on the core finally "getting it". Such is life in a market like Edmonton that has been a perennial loser.

Old
06-09-2014, 10:17 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowbyBlow View Post
I agree with all you said but Quick is playing like Dominek Hasek circa 99' (minus the cup loss) I mean two for sure goals and there stopped. If that first one off the post goes in its a different game, and that save off the shaft of his stick what the hell. Defensively this was a good game. Look at it as scoring chances vs shots on net. I thought kings made it a perimeter game for the Rangers.
Quick was great tonight. He has been very up and down though the rest of the playoffs.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 10:19 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
They do need a few bigger players but ultimately, it's going to depend on the core finally "getting it". Such is life in a market like Edmonton that has been a perennial loser.
I'd like to think Hall takes us to the next level but I just don't know.

Old
06-09-2014, 10:24 PM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:
i know its presumptuous and not foretelling the future, but Ekblad could turn this team around. I know everyone will say this team could easily go the way of the Nashville Predators by now changing course and building d-out, but Nurse, Ekblad, Marincin, Klefbom. you just watch Doughty and he's a game changer. I know logically it sounds very simple but get a #1 goalie (if it aint Scrivens) a #1D and you have Hall, its getting the integral parts, not the accessory parts.

Old
06-09-2014, 10:26 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowbyBlow View Post
i know its presumptuous and not foretelling the future, but Ekblad could turn this team around. I know everyone will say this team could easily go the way of the Nashville Predators by now changing course and building d-out, but Nurse, Ekblad, Marincin, Klefbom. you just watch Doughty and he's a game changer. I know logically it sounds very simple but get a #1 goalie (if it aint Scrivens) a #1D and you have Hall, its getting the integral parts, not the accessory parts.
Well those parts are the hardest to get... We're not trading or signing either one. We desperately need that #1D. I'm praying Florida doesn't draft Ekblad because I know Buffalo won't.

Old
06-09-2014, 10:34 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
I bet you think I'm a bad mooderater too. Or did you think I was too stupid to know what a leauge was?
Both A and B.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 10:34 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
He can't do it alone. The others are going to have to pull their weight and start playing like men. MacT needs to add solid vet complimentary pieces as well. A few more Perrons and on defense as well and this team could take off pretty quickly. Some of the pieces are there. They just need to gel.
It's becoming harder and harder to believe in this group though so who knows. I'll always be there cheering as hard as ever for them.

Old
06-09-2014, 10:35 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
He can't do it alone. The others are going to have to pull their weight and start playing like men. MacT needs to add solid vet complimentary pieces as well. A few more Perrons and on defense as well and this team could take off pretty quickly. Some of the pieces are there. They just need to gel.
It's becoming harder and harder to believe in this group though so who knows. I'll always be there cheering as hard as ever for them.
The million dollar question is where do these come from? MacT isn't going to sign any game changers and to get one via trade we'd have to give up something pretty significant.

Old
06-09-2014, 10:37 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
The million dollar question is where do these come from? MacT isn't going to sign any game changers and to get one via trade we'd have to give up something pretty significant.
He got Perron for pennies on the dollar. He got Scrivens for a mid round pick. The deals are out there.
There are teams like Boston who are in a bit of a cap crunch and the Bruins have plenty of players that would fit here, Boychuk most notably.

Old
06-09-2014, 10:38 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
He got Perron for pennies on the dollar. The deals are out there.
There are teams like Boston who are in a bit of a cap crunch and the Bruins have plenty of players that would fit here, Boychuk most notably.
You still gotta give something up.

And players coming here have a very freaky tendency to dry up upon arrival. Perron was a nice change of pace but the rest...

I feel like if you're going to get something via trade, make it big.

Old
06-09-2014, 10:41 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
You still gotta give something up.

And players coming here have a very freaky tendency to dry up upon arrival. Perron was a nice change of pace but the rest...

I feel like if you're going to get something via trade, make it big.
I don't believe that. We're talking about 2nd line/2nd pairing players here. Scrivens and Fasth are two other examples. Hendricks was a lower level add.
Smart GMs know how to buy low. MacT has actually been pretty decent at this thus far. Unfortunately, he had a pretty bare cupboard to work with.

Old
06-09-2014, 10:44 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
I don't believe that. We're talking about 2nd line/2nd pairing players here. Scrivens and Fasth are two other examples. Hendricks was a lower level add.
Smart GMs know how to buy low. MacT has actually been pretty decent at this thus far. Unfortunately, he had a pretty bare cupboard to work with.
I hope you're right but we still need a LOT of holes plugged. Most of them are on the bottom 2 lines and on the blue line. If we don't draft Ekblad we're still without a legit #1D for awhile.