HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around The League: Congrats Los Angeles Kings!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-14-2014, 12:37 AM
  #126
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,231
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Colorado has the center depth as well awhile our center depth is so damn awful.
Hopefully that'll take a hit if Statsny departs. I'm pretty sure that team is a fluke but if it isn't... Not only is it another team to contend with, it's another that rebuilt their team far faster than this team did.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 12:52 AM
  #127
hallsyoilerforever
Registered User
 
hallsyoilerforever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Hopefully that'll take a hit if Statsny departs. I'm pretty sure that team is a fluke but if it isn't... Not only is it another team to contend with, it's another that rebuilt their team far faster than this team did.
Even if it does take a hit, what about ours? I personally wonder what the hell Mac T is going to do with our 2nd line C. Gagner is for sure gone.

hallsyoilerforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 12:54 AM
  #128
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,231
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsyoilerforever View Post
Even if it does take a hit, what about ours? I personally wonder what the hell Mac T is going to do with our 2nd line C. Gagner is for sure gone.
I honestly have no idea. We're not likely to sign anyone who can fill that whole and trading is out of the question... Either someone's going to have to be out of position or we're going to have Leon in that hole.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 01:22 AM
  #129
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,431
vCash: 500
Justin Williams named MVP.

That Patrick Osullivan trade isn't look so good. Lol.

DousedInOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 04:49 AM
  #130
Tarus
Fire Mact
 
Tarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
All 3 of the Oilers coaches have never played for the Oilers.
Keith Acton

1987–88 Edmonton Oilers
1988–89 Edmonton Oilers

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 10:00 AM
  #131
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan
 
5RingsAndABeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 10,879
vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
It would've been a better final if it was Kings vs Bruins.


Bruins are the only team that can compete against the West.
Out of the 5 games, there were 3 OT games. You can't say that it wasn't close, despite the final score.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 02:50 PM
  #132
oilersfan11
Registered User
 
oilersfan11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 11,300
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Out of the 5 games, there were 3 OT games. You can't say that it wasn't close, despite the final score.
My Spidy senses are telling me that LA was just toying with New York.

Too many times did New York have the lead only to have LA come right back and take it.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 03:12 PM
  #133
hallsyoilerforever
Registered User
 
hallsyoilerforever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
I honestly have no idea. We're not likely to sign anyone who can fill that whole and trading is out of the question... Either someone's going to have to be out of position or we're going to have Leon in that hole.
The only way an ideal 2C comes here from the UFA market is overpaying. Doubt they'll come here though. Draisaitl being slotted as 2nd C immediately is a bad idea..

hallsyoilerforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 03:24 PM
  #134
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!
 
Fixed to Ruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 6,311
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsyoilerforever View Post
The only way an ideal 2C comes here from the UFA market is overpaying. Doubt they'll come here though. Draisaitl being slotted as 2nd C immediately is a bad idea..
That's why I like the idea of acquiring Colin Wilson. Offensive enough to hold his own playing with more offensive players. Defensively responsible and probably a 3rd line C long term.

Wilson gets you by while Draisaitl or Bennett get their feet wet in the NHL. Once our 3rd overall pick is able to handle more minutes you flip him with Wilson and you suddenly have depth at C. If one of Khaira, Roy or Yakimov emerges as a legitimate option in our top 9 then you can start moving guys around to the wings. Oh look depth is created. Neat.

The problem with the Oilers is that we have no depth anywhere. We have interesting prospects and top end talent. If I compared the current state of the Oilers depth chart to a sandwich it would be like two pieces of dry bread pushed together. The depth is the meat and mayo in the middle to hold everything together.

Hey MacT, where's the meat?

Fixed to Ruin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 03:35 PM
  #135
hallsyoilerforever
Registered User
 
hallsyoilerforever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post
That's why I like the idea of acquiring Colin Wilson. Offensive enough to hold his own playing with more offensive players. Defensively responsible and probably a 3rd line C long term.

Wilson gets you by while Draisaitl or Bennett get their feet wet in the NHL. Once our 3rd overall pick is able to handle more minutes you flip him with Wilson and you suddenly have depth at C. If one of Khaira, Roy or Yakimov emerges as a legitimate option in our top 9 then you can start moving guys around to the wings. Oh look depth is created. Neat.

The problem with the Oilers is that we have no depth anywhere. We have interesting prospects and top end talent. If I compared the current state of the Oilers depth chart to a sandwich it would be like two pieces of dry bread pushed together. The depth is the meat and mayo in the middle to hold everything together.

Hey MacT, where's the meat?
I'm fine with Wilson. As long as I don't see Draisaitl slotted in the 2nd C. ( if he makes the team + gets drafted here) That will just destroy his development.

hallsyoilerforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 03:50 PM
  #136
Philly85
Moody'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,133
vCash: 500
Destroy this team too. This draft isn't even good. Only player worth drafting if he's available is Ekblad. I admit that would be great. But the first should be in play for immediate help no question if a blockbuster is on the table. I can even see Draisatl busting. Needs another 2-3 years of seasoning at least before he or any of the other high ranking forwards get to the NHL. It's sheer madness reading comments on here from *some* people, suggesting it's okay going into next season with Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin AND Draisatl/Bennett/Ekblad on the team next year.


Last edited by Philly85: 06-14-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 03:56 PM
  #137
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!
 
Fixed to Ruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 6,311
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Destroy this team too. This draft isn't even good. Only player worth drafting if he's available is Ekblad. I admit that would be great. But the first should be in play for immediate help no question if a blockbuster is on the table. I can even see Draisatl busting. Needs another 2-3 years of seasoning at least before he or any of the other high ranking forwards get to the NHL.
That's some pretty bold statements. Have you even seen any of the top 5 players play?

Any prospect can bust. Humans aren't perfect. However, i would say most of the players top 15 will be good NHL players.

I wouldn't even be opposed to drop down 5-8 spots in the draft if it means adding a significant player to our roster.

Fixed to Ruin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 05:21 PM
  #138
curb
Registered User
 
curb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 294
vCash: 500
Must see NHL Playoff Montage

Please take a look at this montage, I think it blows away anything you will see from CBC or the NHL

http://youtu.be/l7za_ypXBeE

curb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 08:19 PM
  #139
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,946
vCash: 50
Yep... very nicely done.

nexttothemoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 06:18 AM
  #140
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben
 
RAZZIE King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Roach Motel
Country: United States
Posts: 15,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Congrats to Williams. Outside of Brodeur I think the only other 3 cup winner in the league.

I thought Kopitar was better throughout though.
Colin Fraser will be the third one...IF he officially makes the cut... He won it in Chicago in 2010 and with the Kings in 2012... Just waiting on word if he makes the cut or not...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 01:16 PM
  #141
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,524
vCash: 500
Still can't fathom Williams getting the Conn Smythe. If ever an argument was made for a D winning the trophy Drew Doughty made all of them. Including playing +40mins in the deciding game.

I like Williams but its an emotional type vote and one made more for the mythos of big game big time dominance rather than actual play. Williams also chronically made several questionable plays throughout the playoffs and has particular trouble gaining the line. For instance in the deciding game Williams alone caused 3 offsides on promising line rushes.

Kind of silly as well for the voting to be done in advance in this social media connectivity era. Voting should be done online and at the time of the last second played. Should take up to 10mins to allow online voting of reporters. Any media wag not available and already watching the SC final shouldn't be voting in the first place. No reason, none, for the voting not to take into account every drop of playoff action.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 05:00 PM
  #142
Hammer8
Registered User
 
Hammer8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Still can't fathom Williams getting the Conn Smythe. If ever an argument was made for a D winning the trophy Drew Doughty made all of them. Including playing +40mins in the deciding game.

I like Williams but its an emotional type vote and one made more for the mythos of big game big time dominance rather than actual play. Williams also chronically made several questionable plays throughout the playoffs and has particular trouble gaining the line. For instance in the deciding game Williams alone caused 3 offsides on promising line rushes.

Kind of silly as well for the voting to be done in advance in this social media connectivity era. Voting should be done online and at the time of the last second played. Should take up to 10mins to allow online voting of reporters. Any media wag not available and already watching the SC final shouldn't be voting in the first place. No reason, none, for the voting not to take into account every drop of playoff action.
It would not have made a lick of difference. Doughty also made some silly plays that converted directly to NYR goals. Nobody is mistake free.
And the Conn Smythe is an emotional trophy. Williams had the media tongues wagging.
That said Doughty played brilliantly and he easily could have won and nobody would have argued.

Hammer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 08:49 PM
  #143
Spawn
Registered User
 
Spawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZIE King View Post
Colin Fraser will be the third one...IF he officially makes the cut... He won it in Chicago in 2010 and with the Kings in 2012... Just waiting on word if he makes the cut or not...
The Kings I'm sure will petition him to have his name on the cup...

so lets say Williams will be the only player outside of Brodeur to actually contribute to 3 Stanley Cups. Fraser barely played with the Hawks run and not at all with this one.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 09:22 PM
  #144
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer8 View Post
It would not have made a lick of difference. Doughty also made some silly plays that converted directly to NYR goals. Nobody is mistake free.
And the Conn Smythe is an emotional trophy. Williams had the media tongues wagging.
That said Doughty played brilliantly and he easily could have won and nobody would have argued.
Point is when you're playing the minutes Doughty does, as a D, against the very best teams and hockey players in the world and your the go to guy back there expected to be a game changer you're going to make some mistakes that get highly magnified. Lost in that is Doughty really makes brilliant plays routinely as well and his acumen in every area of the ice is exceptional. Very few things he doesn't exceed at. He's arguably the best player in hockey period, any player, any position, at age 24 and he played like it all post season.

Williams again I like as a player but his value and accomplishments in relation to his miscues are much different. Williams makes essential errors just gaining blueline where he has space. At times looking no more effective than several of the buffoons we have playing on the Oil.

Virtually no LA Kings fan would put Williams ahead of any of Doughty, Carter, or Kopitar for what they meant to this team this spring. Hell I'd put Dustin Brown ahead. I'm a Williams fan saying that. In a sense the nod to Williams is kind of a kick in the pants to the Kings. Not giving their best players full credit and instead going off the chart to pick a player with noticeable but clutch contributions as if to say the entire run was a fluke instead of the product of several excellent (and better than Williams) players.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 09:30 PM
  #145
Senor Catface
Registered User
 
Senor Catface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Nepal
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer8 View Post
It would not have made a lick of difference. Doughty also made some silly plays that converted directly to NYR goals. Nobody is mistake free.
And the Conn Smythe is an emotional trophy. Williams had the media tongues wagging.
That said Doughty played brilliantly and he easily could have won and nobody would have argued.
It's interesting that a lot of Kings fans agree with you.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1689879

You can see a ton of Kings fan voting for Williams in that topic.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 09:41 PM
  #146
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,524
vCash: 500
Interesting thing re: Williams and Kings fans is that responses ranged from like to dislike re the player and with quite a few Kings fans not to keen on Williams. tbh I was surprised at that mixed view of the player. That was before the final. Williams had a huge final. But afairc the Smythe voting took place with not all of the final results being considered in that voting.

heres an interesting take;

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/...kings-players/

I can see either side and like Williams as a player. The reality however is the Kings sneaked Williams in a third line role where he could fly with some easier minutes. With a guy like Stoll being no stranger to offence either. Williams is making a lot of those excellent looking offensive dangles against not the opponents top choice D or defenders.

Lost in the conversation is Gaborik who scored many, and several important goals for the Kings. Not saying I'd pick him either. To me its Doughty, Kopitar, or Carter.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 10:16 PM
  #147
BlowbyBlow
Registered User
 
BlowbyBlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Interesting thing re: Williams and Kings fans is that responses ranged from like to dislike re the player and with quite a few Kings fans not to keen on Williams. tbh I was surprised at that mixed view of the player. That was before the final. Williams had a huge final. But afairc the Smythe voting took place with not all of the final results being considered in that voting.

heres an interesting take;

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/...kings-players/

I can see either side and like Williams as a player. The reality however is the Kings sneaked Williams in a third line role where he could fly with some easier minutes. With a guy like Stoll being no stranger to offence either. Williams is making a lot of those excellent looking offensive dangles against not the opponents top choice D or defenders.

Lost in the conversation is Gaborik who scored many, and several important goals for the Kings. Not saying I'd pick him either. To me its Doughty, Kopitar, or Carter.
I will be perfectly honest I've never understood the Conn Smythe trophy and its merit. The reality is the voters want to make it about the guy who stands out, but really its the guy who can do everything; kill penalties, play the powerplay, match up with other teams top forwards/d-man' more importantly just contribute. I would take the more solid/consistent guy every time. That's why to me its always about d-man/goaltending.

My feelings have always been that deeper playoff rounds go your 3-4th lines HAVE to come through, because if you Crosby/Zetterberg/Toews your often asked to match up top line to top line and it looks like your not contributing, so a guy like Kopitar shouldn't be scrutinized without his effectiveness on other teams top lines you probably don't get Williams and others making there mark.

If you broke down L.A. lots of guys did little things, should they all get the Conn Smythe.

Stoll taking so many defensive faceoffs, great penalty killing
Williams timely goals,
Brown was key on many moments where he stepped up and changed momentum.
Martinez scored two series clinchers
Toffoli/Pearson were guys who scored when the big names weren't scoring
Carter drover that line essentially, he was your premier power forward in some games.
Quick wasn't great in the first 3-rounds, but 4th round he stepped up.
Gaborik in the Chicago series, and in game 5 of this series scored that late goal I felt him and Williams equally had timely goals.

We have to ask ourselves what's more important scoring vs defending, consistency, vs timely contributions (OT/ late game heroics) that maybe are shone the spotlight more on.

BlowbyBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 11:28 PM
  #148
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!
 
Fixed to Ruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 6,311
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Still can't fathom Williams getting the Conn Smythe. If ever an argument was made for a D winning the trophy Drew Doughty made all of them. Including playing +40mins in the deciding game.

I like Williams but its an emotional type vote and one made more for the mythos of big game big time dominance rather than actual play. Williams also chronically made several questionable plays throughout the playoffs and has particular trouble gaining the line. For instance in the deciding game Williams alone caused 3 offsides on promising line rushes.
I agree. I feel defensemen get underappreciated in the playoffs. The last defenseman to win the Conn Smythe was Neidermayer in 2007. Think of all the top dmen who got overlooked in that time frame. Chara, Keith/Seabrook, Doughty. Maybe even Lidstrom again in 2008.

What does a dman need to do to win? Lead playoff scoring? Play 50 min a night?

Fixed to Ruin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 11:44 PM
  #149
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post
I agree. I feel defensemen get underappreciated in the playoffs. The last defenseman to win the Conn Smythe was Neidermayer in 2007. Think of all the top dmen who got overlooked in that time frame. Chara, Keith/Seabrook, Doughty. Maybe even Lidstrom again in 2008.

What does a dman need to do to win? Lead playoff scoring? Play 50 min a night?
To add that theres not one of those D, or in the entire history of NHL playoffs, that had to do more to get by the toughest collection of opponents an NHL club has ever faced.

Kings with Doughty playing easily the most prominent role beat the Sharks, Ducks, Hawks, and EC winners. Simply put Doughty had to plow the Kings through the top opponents in hockey.

lets not even get into how many times Doughty got hacked, punched in the face, high sticked, slew footed etc. With guys trying to take him out from the first round on. tbh that Doughty even finished the playoffs and played all the games is damned remarkable.

He played this well literally black and blue and no player in the entire playoffs endured more and took more abuse. Every opponent playing the Kings knew everything started with Doughty. That was the tree every opponent were trying to hack down every game, every series.

Doughty would never be the type to complain but this was one of the more brilliant and resilient never say die playoff performances by a D you ever see. With Pronger in 06 being another.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 11:54 PM
  #150
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!
 
Fixed to Ruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 6,311
vCash: 50
I thought Chara in 2011 was very impressive. However, Thomas had some epic performances that made the media fall in love with him. Especially since Thomas had the longest road to the NHL. The writers couldn't help themselves and eat it all up.

Fixed to Ruin is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.