HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If the Habs decided and managed to get Paul Stastny

Old
06-09-2014, 07:35 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by pine View Post
Why wouldn't they move Desharnais?
Jesus christ, wake the **** up
Pacioretty would probably ask out. He is very sensitive

Anyways I think the reason you move Plekanec would be to get that better return, that top 6 winger which we wouldn't get by trading any of the other 2. And let's be very honest, as much as I like Plekanec, we haven't won anything with him and he isn't that player we want him to be come playoff time. I personally think it's time to move him

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 07:45 AM
Vi Nc E x13x

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post

Anyways I think the reason you move Plekanec would be to get that better return, that top 6 winger which we wouldn't get by trading any of the other 2. And let's be very honest, as much as I like Plekanec, we haven't won anything with him and he isn't that player we want him to be come playoff time. I personally think it's time to move him
he has 42pts in 69gp in playoffs while playing a shutdown roll what do you expect him to be putting up? He isnt a #1c he is a Great #2 who plays against top opposition If your expecting a ppg your crazy.

Vi Nc E x13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 12:49 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vi Nc E x13x View Post
I agree and since when is he a two-way forward?
LOL since when isn't he? Paul Stastny is most definitely a two way center, and a very good one at that. He is very strong where we are weak. That being down low at both ends. He is amazing along the walls offensively and defensively. I'd kill for him to play with Pacioretty.

HankyZetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 01:03 PM
Lebowski
In Price We Trust

So, so, SO not interested in Stastny.

Habs fans are ridiculous. The majority of you guys have been pilling **** on Desharnais because of his 3.5M contract/50ish points production but you want to sign Stastny and his 60 points a year for the ridiculous 7M+ a year contract he'll most likely sign on the FA market.

Stastny is a low end first line center, high end 2nd liner. Similar to Plekanec. I pray to God he's not Bergevin's main focus come July 1st.

Lebowski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 01:15 PM
haburger*

Stastny is another weak 1 st liner.we have enough of those.I d rather sell the farm for kane or yakupov.

haburger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 01:32 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by haburger View Post
Stastny is another weak 1 st liner.we have enough of those.I d rather sell the farm for kane or yakupov.
So you'd trade away a lot of the team for a player that's not available instead of making an incremental improvement by adding a relatively young UFA who is available for nothing?

Can't say I understand that kind of thinking.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 01:35 PM
tinyzombies

Colorado fans complain nonstop about him tho, no? I don't see him as better than Pleks myself, and he's injury prone. He's a clever glue guy tho.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 01:45 PM
Habitant#1

If we want to sign a decent RWer in the future we need something more enticing than the prospect of playing with Desharnais. If I'm Bergevin I'm embarrassed to make that phone call.

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 02:10 PM
Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Cap space doesn't write it's name on the Cup. upgrading at the C position is a must, we will not win with DD as the #1C. Ever.

Stastny is not perfect by any stretch but he's the only guy available and I think he does improve the club.
Upgrading at C, especially while we wait for Galchenyuk to continue maturing is a good move. However, we should get away from this whole 1st line, 2nd line, 3rd, line, etc. hierarchy.

Having both Pacioretty and Desharnais signed at bottom basement deals on our roster (Total cap of 8M) allows this Cap-spending team to ice three lines that can score and to have, at the same time, an above-average 4th line.

That's why you don't trade Desharnais. He doesn't need to be the go-to C, especially if you were to sign Stasny, for example.

I don't really mind the idea of Galchenyuk-Stasny-Gallagher as a line. Perhaps we could also finally see Pacioretty-DD-Bourque. That could work wonders if Bourque was remotely close to playoff Bourque during long enough stretches of the regular season…. Bourque is a better sniper playing RW, anyhow….

That still leaves the problem of playing Plekanec on another line and Eller being left stranded. I doubt Eller -- who claims he should be top-6 C, would be remotely happy as a 4th line, role player, regardless of whether anyone thinks he could or should play there.

Plekanec, on the other hand, could play a role on a line with Bournival and Gionta without making a fuss, IMO. That would be a great shutdown line with some offensive upside.

Signing Stasny would be great, IMO but, would leave a C too much, two if you include an eventual transfer of Galchenyuk back to C, not to mention there are plenty of role Cs already playing wing on this team.

Scriptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 02:13 PM
Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant#1 View Post
If we want to sign a decent RWer in the future we need something more enticing than the prospect of playing with Desharnais. If I'm Bergevin I'm embarrassed to make that phone call.
First of all, after these playoffs, nobody refers to Desharnais as Desharnais. Bergevin wil be asking players to play with "La Moustache" and everyone will understand whom he's referring to…. Some may confuse it with "le Moustique", however

Scriptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 02:26 PM
Hemlor

Quote:
Cap space doesn't write it's name on the Cup. upgrading at the C position is a must, we will not win with DD as the #1C. Ever.

Stastny is not perfect by any stretch but he's the only guy available and I think he does improve the club.
Don't the Habs already have an upgraded centre in the lineup?

Hemlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 02:36 PM
Teufelsdreck

I think it would be more productive to go after Edmonton's trove of as yet not fully developed talent. The cost would be lower.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 03:42 PM
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score

Stastny is not the fleetest of foot and going over 7 million for him is probably going into huge overpayment territory. His current salary is already a bit of an overpayment. With that said, he can make some sweet feeds and provides us with another defensively responsible forward, which this team definitely needs if we're going to let Gio go. He consolidates skills present on two different players into one(DD can pass but not much else, Gio can play D but not much else, Paul also provides some size).

MoldyCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 03:46 PM
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by haburger View Post
Edmonton is not going to sell Yakupov low even if they want him out unless Yakupov and Eakins goes into full meltdown mode. I speculate that Evander Kane is an overrated 2nd liner at best. You gotta have more than just brawn and a power forward body to be a playoff performer.

Old
06-09-2014, 03:49 PM
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Yeah, reject his center that he had when playing for Team USA and Olympics and Worlds simply because of his bromance with midget #51. I don't think he's that in love with DD

Old
06-09-2014, 05:21 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Kadri View Post
Yeah, reject his center that he had when playing for Team USA and Olympics and Worlds simply because of his bromance with midget #51. I don't think he's that in love with DD
Well to be fair did he have any success with Team USA, Olympics and what not?

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 05:27 PM
MXD

The gap between DD's current salary and Stastny's proposed salary being much, much bigger than the gap between their respective output, and with their non-offensive game being somewhat the same, that proposal gets a big no as far as I'm concerned.

On the other hand, I'd really, really like to have DD not the go-to-offensive center. I just don't think Stastny's the right option.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 05:29 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant#1 View Post
Well, apparently, some players signed here to play with Scott Gomez.

And DD, well, roughly took Gomez out of the lineup.

Old
06-09-2014, 06:09 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Well, apparently, some players signed here to play with Scott Gomez.

And DD, well, roughly took Gomez out of the lineup.
Another myth.

Old
06-09-2014, 06:48 PM
MXD

Quote:
Another myth.
Hence the use of "apparently", my friend...

Old
06-09-2014, 07:14 PM
Richiebottles
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
Another myth.
Pretty sure that the reason Gionta signed here was to play with Gomez.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2014, 01:36 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
PK would probably do a better job on the wing than DD.
No he wouldn't. Pk played wing for that long ass shift and looked completely lost, even therrien cracked a joke about it in his presser

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2014, 01:44 AM
Kojo

Pacioretty - DD - Galchenyuk
Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta
DLR - Eller - Gally

We could get by with this, anyone who thinks DD is detrimental to hockey club, something something.

Kojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2014, 01:51 AM
Spearmint Rhino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojo View Post
Pacioretty - DD - Galchenyuk
Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta
DLR - Eller - Gally

We could get by with this, anyone who thinks DD is detrimental to hockey club, something something.
Will McDavid be the 1st Hab to wear #97?

Spearmint Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2014, 01:53 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Pretty sure that the reason Gionta signed here was to play with Gomez.
I think Gionta was very clear that his decision was not impacted by Gomez whatsoever. Cammalleri was diplomatic but lets face it he was a mercenary who took the highest offer.

Besides at the time of these signings Gomez's reputation was in free fall.