HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

If the Habs decided and managed to get Paul Stastny

Old
06-12-2014, 09:36 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Ryan's a lot better offensively. He played this year hurt. He's a 30+ goal scorer in the bank when he's healthy.
If Plekanec was used in a similar fashion, more offensive minutes and linemates, the offensive numbers would be pretty close.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 09:41 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
If Plekanec was used in a similar fashion, more offensive minutes and linemates, the offensive numbers would be pretty close.
He's not the sniper that Ryan is.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 01:39 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
He's not the sniper that Ryan is.
No but he works harder.

Old
06-12-2014, 01:48 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
If I was Bergevin then Stastny would be a priority, Vanek and Stastny would be ideal. Markov & Gionta's contracts could come off the books, and Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pateryn & Bennett could vie for two defencemen positions. Vanek replaces Gionta, and Stastny would take a top six center spot, giving the Habs trade bait for draft picks, later this month. Perfect.

S Bah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 03:10 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
If I was Bergevin then Stastny would be a priority, Vanek and Stastny would be ideal. Markov & Gionta's contracts could come off the books, and Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pateryn & Bennett could vie for two defencemen positions. Vanek replaces Gionta, and Stastny would take a top six center spot, giving the Habs trade bait for draft picks, later this month. Perfect.
If you let Markov walk, replacing him with an expensive forward will be pointless because the defense will suck.

Old
06-13-2014, 09:15 PM
djpass

Plekanec probably has more value than Eller on the market. It's time to sell high.

I'd be OK for now with Stastny - Desharnais & Eller as our top 3 centers if Plekanec could, not alone but still, help us land either a top 6 winger or a top 3 defenceman.

djpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 05:13 AM
deandebean

Plekanec with better wingers would produce more, blah, blah...I've been hearing that song for years. He got better wingers for certain periods this season and he did not produce more.

He's got value because of our run? Trade him.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 06:03 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Plekanec with better wingers would produce more, blah, blah...I've been hearing that song for years. He got better wingers for certain periods this season and he did not produce more.

There's no "bla bla bla", Plekanec has had productive seasons that Desharnais can only dream of.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 06:41 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Tes, lets get Statsny. Cause we dont really remotely have too many centers in our team...

(Gainey called and wants his team building concept back...)

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 06:42 AM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Quote:

I'm all for trading Pleks because of our logjam at centre but he's objectively our best centreman. He has just not produced that well and his lack of puck skills diminishes the results of his "work effort"

If he had Vanek and Patches, he'd be producing at a higher rate, for sure. Thing is that he doesn't have much vision and goes through periods of playing very north-south and with his head down.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 06:51 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I'm all for trading Pleks because of our logjam at centre but he's objectively our best centreman. He has just not produced that well and his lack of puck skills diminishes the results of his "work effort"

If he had Vanek and Patches, he'd be producing at a higher rate, for sure. Thing is that he doesn't have much vision and goes through periods of playing very north-south and with his head down.
I think he has pretty good vision, he's been very good at getting assists even in recent seasons. My assumption is that he has gotten used to not passing from years of playing with scrubs. Give him a good line mate and he will remember how to pass.

Old
06-14-2014, 07:08 AM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I think he has pretty good vision, he's been very good at getting assists even in recent seasons. My assumption is that he has gotten used to not passing from years of playing with scrubs. Give him a good line mate and he will remember how to pass.
I can't imagine what it must feel like to sacrifice your body against the boards to fight off a hulking goon like Lucic, to hustle the puck up the ice and see a goateed smurf on your wing, asking for a puck you know will end up in the chest of the goalie and held down for a faceoff.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 07:35 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I can't imagine what it must feel like to sacrifice your body against the boards to fight off a hulking goon like Lucic, to hustle the puck up the ice and see a goateed smurf on your wing, asking for a puck you know will end up in the chest of the goalie and held down for a faceoff.

You're among the funniest posters on the forum.

Old
06-14-2014, 09:31 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

He has produced more and he's infinitely better defensively. Makes zero sense to deal him over DD. None. Only way we do it is if we get a better two way center in return (good luck) and even then we should still get rid of DD.

Old
06-14-2014, 10:04 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
He has produced more and he's infinitely better defensively. Makes zero sense to deal him over DD. None. Only way we do it is if we get a better two way center in return (good luck) and even then we should still get rid of DD.
Thing is, Plekanec can get us a really helpful piece as soon as next season. I doubt DD gets us more than futures.

I will say though, I thought he'd just be holding down the fort until we had a replacement found, but at this point, I think he's getting into addition by subtraction territory. He's kind of like our very bad Rudy Gay at the moment.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 11:29 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Ryan's a lot better offensively. He played this year hurt. He's a 30+ goal scorer in the bank when he's healthy.
Ryan's been trending down for a while now. He's still a good player, but he's no max pacioretty.

Quote:

Pleks getting caught out there on a line-change with max pac doesn't count

He's got value because he's our 1st or 2nd most important forward. We've got nobody to replace him.

Yeah, lets just trade him

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 11:45 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Thing is, Plekanec can get us a really helpful piece as soon as next season. I doubt DD gets us more than futures.
Well, Subban can get us more than DD in a trade too. Does that mean we deal him?

There's a reason Plecs is worth a lot more... he's a much better hockey player. And that's why we shouldn't move him now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
I will say though, I thought he'd just be holding down the fort until we had a replacement found, but at this point, I think he's getting into addition by subtraction territory. He's kind of like our very bad Rudy Gay at the moment.
We talking about DD here? 'Cause yes, we should move him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Ryan's been trending down for a while now. He's still a good player, but he's no max pacioretty.
Well he was hurt this season. I thought he'd have a great year in Ottawa but he played almost the whole year injured. As good as Max? Maybe not but they're in the same class of player. 35 goals in the bank when he's healthy. Both are better than Plecs offensively.

Old
06-15-2014, 03:35 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Because we have other needs. I know everybody wants DD to GTFO but ideally we need to replace Vanek/re-sign him. I don't want to see Gionta as a second line winger ever again.
Bergevin needs to sign Vanek at RW and let Gionta go or sign at reduced salary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpass View Post
Well if you get Stastny then you can use other guys to get a top 6 winger. That's why I brought up Eller or Pleky as trade baits for starters.

Gionta obviously doesn't belong on a top 6 anymore and I'm sure that Habs management know this very well.

When you can land a guy like Stastny without sending guys the other way to get him, then I'm in if at a decent price.
If the Habs can sign Stastny, then they could move Plekanec for help on defence without losing assets to replace Plekanec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Cap space doesn't write it's name on the Cup. upgrading at the C position is a must, we will not win with DD as the #1C. Ever.

Stastny is not perfect by any stretch but he's the only guy available and I think he does improve the club.
Stastny is without question the best UFA along with Vanek to provide the Habs with a 1st line capable to compete with the best in the NHL. All that without giving up other assets, perfect especially if they move Plekanec for Yandle, then Markov could sign elsewhere, freeing up Salary Cap space for the UFA signings and Subban & Eller's signings also!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricenyuk View Post
We need another Top 6 RW and/or a #2 defenseman more... but I would be in favour of signing Statsny and packaging up Plekanec in order to fill one of the previously mentioned holes.
As above all of these signings can be made in an ideal situation, which seems to be the Habs intent, Molson's will open the wallet to bring Montreal a first class SC Contender as they have in the past, it's a win/win/win for the team/fans/Montreal.

S Bah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 09:11 AM
djpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
If the Habs can sign Stastny, then they could move Plekanec for help on defence without losing assets to replace Plekanec.
Of course.

It's pointless to even entertain the idea of trading Desharnais because his value is no where near that of Pleky on the market.

So with Stastny as the #1 center, Desharnais would be OK in the 2nd slot.

Trading Plekanec +...? to get another good asset makes sense, if Stastny is on board.

Let's also be honest here, Stastny - Desharnais & Eller as the top 3 centers is an improvement to Desharnais - Plekanec & Eller as the top 3. So if Plekanec gets you another good asset in return on top of that, then it's definitely a win situation.

djpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 11:41 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Of course.

It's pointless to even entertain the idea of trading Desharnais because his value is no where near that of Pleky on the market.

Trading Plekanec +...? to get another good asset makes sense, if Stastny is on board.

Let's also be honest here, Stastny - Desharnais & Eller as the top 3 centers is an improvement to Desharnais - Plekanec & Eller as the top 3. So if Plekanec gets you another good asset in return on top of that, then it's definitely a win situation.
Why the **** would we put DD at the 2nd spot over Galchenyuk?

And again... why would we trade away the better player? It just doesn't make any sense at all.

Old
06-16-2014, 01:05 AM
25get

First Statsny is going to cost around 7+M. 5 years ago he was given 6.6M but after his first year, he declined significantly (from 79 points to 60 points last season).

Second, Plekanec is not as good but at 5M he is a much better deal.

Third, we have Plek, Galchenyuk, Eller, DD, Briere as center for next year.
If we bring Statsny, we can forget galchenyuk as a center.

We can all agree that Statsny would be the best center in our team.
But it would mean that there would be no space for Eller, Galchenyuk and DD.
I can deal with DD being pushed away by Statsny, but not with Eller and Galchenyuk...

25get is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 01:09 AM
25get

Quote:
Of course.

Even if we trade Plekanec, the point of having DD and Eller allows us to give Galchenyuk some time to raise as out top center.

Point is Galchenyuk should be our first center. With Statsny at 7+M you have a second center that is too expensive.

Imagine Galchenyuk talking contract with 75 points while Statsny is making 50 points as a second line center...
I prefer Plek with 46-50 points as a second line center..

Old
06-16-2014, 01:20 AM
25get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Statsny had three seasons over 57 points: 79, 78 and 71.
Plekanec had two seasons over 57 points: 69 and 70.

Statsny is better but as you said Plek is not very far.

Old
06-16-2014, 01:47 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Why the **** would we put DD at the 2nd spot over Galchenyuk?

And again... why would we trade away the better player? It just doesn't make any sense at all.
I think DD would be moved to the wing eventually.

Trading Pleks over DD makes sense because you can get more for Pleks plus you'd shed more cap space and like I said I'd gamble on DD being a winger. Statsny, Galchenyuk, Eller? Make it so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25get View Post
First Statsny is going to cost around 7+M. 5 years ago he was given 6.6M but after his first year, he declined significantly (from 79 points to 60 points last season).

Second, Plekanec is not as good but at 5M he is a much better deal.

Third, we have Plek, Galchenyuk, Eller, DD, Briere as center for next year.
If we bring Statsny, we can forget galchenyuk as a center.

We can all agree that Statsny would be the best center in our team.
But it would mean that there would be no space for Eller, Galchenyuk and DD.
I can deal with DD being pushed away by Statsny, but not with Eller and Galchenyuk...
If Statsny comes Pleks would probably be traded and DD would be eventually moved to the wing imo. Briere's coming off the books and the cap's going up. Gorges can be moved if Markov is re-signed it won't be for more than 2 years. I'm not too worried about the cap.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 02:25 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
I think DD would be moved to the wing eventually.

Trading Pleks over DD makes sense because you can get more for Pleks plus you'd shed more cap space and like I said I'd gamble on DD being a winger. Statsny, Galchenyuk, Eller? Make it so!

If Statsny comes Pleks would probably be traded and DD would be eventually moved to the wing imo. Briere's coming off the books and the cap's going up. Gorges can be moved if Markov is re-signed it won't be for more than 2 years. I'm not too worried about the cap.
you get more cause he's the better player...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote