HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buffalo/Rochester Dual Affiliation?

Closed Thread

Old
08-31-2005, 10:12 AM
Slangston
Justin Bailey

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Slangston
Buffalo/Rochester Dual Affiliation?

Visiting the Amerks forum I came across a rumor that the Sabres/Amerks are looking to form a relationship with the Florida Panthers. Some type of dual-affiliation deal is being discussed. What that means is Rochester will be able to receive Panthers prospects along with Buffalo's. To me, this reaks of boewlshnit. If this isn't an indication that the Sabres are penny pinching, I don't know what is. It's why they let John Adams' walk. Mancari can forget about seeing any time in Rochester this year, he could light the camp on fire and the Sabres would still send him back to juniors. What a horrible message to send to the fans all across Western New York.

The Sabres and the Amerks have the longest tenured relationship in hockey and I can't imagine the fans in Rochester will be too happy with this move. I guess it's something the organization feels they must do if they're going to survive. What a sad state of affairs we're in.

I'm usually fairly positive/optimistic when it comes to the Sabres, but this dual-affiliation talk ticks me off.

Old
08-31-2005, 10:18 AM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slangston_Hughes
Visiting the Amerks forum I came across a rumor that the Sabres/Amerks are looking to form a relationship with the Florida Panthers. Some type of dual-affiliation deal is being discussed. What that means is Rochester will be able to receive Panthers prospects along with Buffalo's. To me, this reaks of boewlshnit. If this isn't an indication that the Sabres are penny pinching, I don't know what is. It's why they let John Adams' walk. Mancari can forget about seeing any time in Rochester this year, he could light the camp on fire and the Sabres would still send him back to juniors. What a horrible message to send to the fans all across Western New York.

The Sabres and the Amerks have the longest tenured relationship in hockey and I can't imagine the fans in Rochester will be too happy with this move. I guess it's something the organization feels they must do if they're going to survive. What a sad state of affairs we're in.

I'm usually fairly positive/optimistic when it comes to the Sabres, but this dual-affiliation talk ticks me off.
I would need to see an article to believe it, though I can't imagine that an AHL franchise would have trouble succeeding in San Antonio.

Old
08-31-2005, 10:25 AM
Slangston
Justin Bailey

Send a message via Skype™ to Slangston
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB
I would need to see an article to believe it, though I can't imagine that an AHL franchise would have trouble succeeding in San Antonio.
Yeah it's a rumor for now, but I believe there are some folks over at Amerks.com that have sources within the organization.

Old
08-31-2005, 10:45 AM
Kruschiki

vCash: 50
You'd certainly get to see some exciting prospects.

Old
08-31-2005, 12:10 PM
sabrefan27

I don't think it'll happen. It's something Donner would have to agree to and I doubt he will.

Old
08-31-2005, 02:37 PM
Tra La La

I think a Dual Affiliation with Someone will happen. Could explain why a Coach has'nt been chosen yet.

Old
08-31-2005, 02:44 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Reducer
I think a Dual Affiliation with Someone will happen. Could explain why a Coach has'nt been chosen yet.
Cunneyworth(sp.) is gone???

Old
08-31-2005, 03:07 PM
Dropkick Alex

I follow the Panthers and the Sabres because I'm a huge Panthers fan and the rest of my family are Sabre fans, I would love to see this happen.

Old
08-31-2005, 03:08 PM
sabrefan27

This actually probably will happen. With the lack of prospects the Sabres have to send us, the Amerks just don't have a roster. And they can't fill the holes with veterans because of the limit.

Old
08-31-2005, 03:18 PM
Hobey Baker

Quote:
This shouldn't matter because the season is just months away, and I can't imagine FLA not having a farm deal in place. Does anyone know when the Panthers agreement with San Antonio expires/expired?

Old
08-31-2005, 03:21 PM
Hobey Baker

This whole thing reminds me how Regier and BTG mentioned only signing players that have a legitimate shot to make the bigs. Perhaps this proposed deal is related, but I'll remain skeptical until it's addressed by the team honchos.

Old
08-31-2005, 03:27 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 2635
I wouldn't be opposed to an agreement that allows another NHL team to provide players for the Amerks on a limited basis. Something along the lines that the Panthers are guaranteed roster spots for 3 prospects and must pay the salaries of 2 "veterans" would be perfect.

Old
08-31-2005, 04:51 PM
ajsonor

Has anyone else heard/read that Askey is off to Europe this year?

Old
08-31-2005, 04:53 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsonor
Has anyone else heard/read that Askey is off to Europe this year?
I've heard it, but seen nothing to confirm it yet.

Old
08-31-2005, 05:41 PM
Tra La La

Done Deal
http://www.amerks.com/FeatureStories.aspx?news_id=519

Quote:
PANTHERS TO PROVIDE PLAYERS UNDER SABRES AFFILIATION AGREEMENT WITH AMERKS

BUFFALO, N.Y. (August 31, 2005) --- The Buffalo Sabres and Florida Panthers have entered into an agreement whereby Florida will supply eight to 10 top prospects to the Rochester Americans of the American Hockey League for the 2005-06 season.
Buffalo and Rochester will enter their 27th year as affiliated partners during the 2005-06 season. This relationship is currently the longest working relationship in professional hockey between an NHL club and its affiliate.

"We are pleased to be entering into this partnership with the Florida Panthers," said Sabres' General Manager Darcy Regier. "This will be a great opportunity for Florida to have their top prospects develop within the winning tradition that has been established in Rochester. This also means that our fans in Rochester can look forward to watching a very exciting hockey team this season."

Florida's previous top affiliate, the San Antonio Rampage (AHL) recently signed an affiliate agreement with the Phoenix Coyotes.

"We are very excited about the opportunity to place some of our top prospects with the Rochester Americans," said Florida Panthers General Manager Mike Keenan. "The Americans own a storied tradition in the American Hockey League and we are very confident with this decision. Rochester General Manager Jody Gage and Head Coach Randy Cunneyworth have a proven track record of developing young players in a winning environment and we look forward to aiding in the continued success of their franchise. We would also like to thank the Buffalo Sabres and General Manager Darcy Regier for their cooperation in this endeavor."

“We’re very excited to have the Florida Panthers join an already strong affiliation with the Buffalo Sabres in supplying our team for our 50th Anniversary season,” said Amerks President and CEO Steve Donner. “Having the top prospects from both Buffalo and Florida, combined with the veteran leadership of Chris Taylor, David Cullen and Brandon Smith, will give us a great mixture or experience that will make us really competitive this season.

“Mike Keenan has special ties to our organization as a Calder Cup winning coach and a Hall of Fame member and it’s nice to have his support.”

Some of the Panthers' most recent draft choices include Rostislav Olesz (2004 First Round, 7th overall), David Shantz (2004 Second Round, 37th overall), Nathan Horton, (2003 First Round, 3rd Overall), Anthony Stewart (2003 First Round, 25th overall), Kamil Kreps (2003 Second Round, 38th overall) Petr Taticek (2002 First Round, 9th overall), Rob Globke (2002 Second Round, 40th overall) and Gregory Campbell (2002 Third Round, 67th overall).

During their affiliation with the Sabres, the Amerks have compiled a record of 1028-817-4-6 in 2,080 regular season games. Over that period, the team has captured nine regular season titles. Last season was a banner year for the organization. With a record of 51-19-4-6 (112 points), the Amerks captured the McGregor Kilpatrick Trophy (Overall Regular Season Points champion) and the Sam Pollock Trophy (North Division Champion).

Old
08-31-2005, 05:54 PM
Hobey Baker

And there it is. I guess I believe it now. Keenan speaks as if Cunneyworth is still in the fold...

Old
08-31-2005, 06:01 PM
Jamie Walker

this SUCKS.

what about our prospects... Hunter,Mancari,Dennis,Stafford,Kaleta,Sekera,Kryuk ov,Denisov,Ehzov,Funk,Card,Fabry.......(in no particular order)

I guess this is why we let L.P. Martin go.

Maybe we should only draft the first three rounds seeing how we only have half a team with which to develop our players.

It didn't work for the Edmonton, and Montreal (Bulldogs)

Old
08-31-2005, 06:07 PM
Tra La La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Walker
this SUCKS.

what about our prospects... Hunter,Mancari,Dennis,Stafford,Kaleta,Sekera,Kryuk ov,Denisov,Ehzov,Funk,Card,Fabry.......(in no particular order)

I guess this is why we let L.P. Martin go.

Maybe we should only draft the first three rounds seeing how we only have half a team with which to develop our players.

It didn't work for the Edmonton, and Montreal (Bulldogs)

Stafford's probabley the only guy on your list they'll sign. (Once any and all possible collegiate eligibilty has passed)

Old
08-31-2005, 06:32 PM
Hobey Baker

Quote:
Stafford's probabley the only guy on your list they'll sign. (Once any and all possible collegiate eligibilty has passed)
Naw, they'll sign Kaleta - he's a local boy.

All Quinn bashing aside for a moment (and only for a moment), I can see the Sabres making a play for all of the aforementioned guys, with the exception of Hunter, Fabry, and the two Russian defensemen. I'd like to see one of Ezhov and Denisov come over, but I get more pessimistic as the days pass.

Old
08-31-2005, 06:46 PM
Dropkick Alex

From a Cats fan and a Sabres fan aswell, should be some intresting hockey in Rochester.

Here's to a Championship!

Old
08-31-2005, 07:08 PM
sabrefan27

I think this is a cost cutting measure by the Sabres. They just didn't want to spend the money.

Old
08-31-2005, 11:00 PM
eyeisnikk

Maybe i am in a bad mood already or this just brought me over the edge. But i do not like this at all.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

***!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys might be right that this appears to be a cost-cutting effort.

But what do we get out of the deal???
I guess not to pay 8-10 players...

This cant bold well for our prospects. ANd its an admission on guilt from management for not spending the money and not addressing the future...

2nd question- SO who will be playing in Roch from our org

Old
08-31-2005, 11:46 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Eh, this is one of those wait-and-see things IMO. The pros are... well... hmmm... The factional infighting of who's prospects play ought to be interesting to say the least. San Antonio was terrible last year... The cons are obvious: no signings to develop talent from within. If Buff's right, maybe this frees up some money to sign someone for AHL duty -- but they're in to that way, way late in the game.

09-01-2005, 02:01 AM
matthew94

Send a message via AIM to matthew94
Man, I kinda like it

Doesn't this simply improve the overall talent of the club? I want our future Sabres playing with other future NHL'ers, not with a bunch of career minor leaguers.

Old
09-01-2005, 06:03 AM
N.Y. Orangeman
Coyotes Fan

vCash: 50
Awful...just plain awful. I could understand 3-5, but 8-10 is just ridiculous.

Closed Thread