HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NYR Sign Petr Zamorsky to 2yr deal

Old
06-11-2014, 04:33 AM
Jeez
Jay Jay

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey16 View Post
It's really kind of mystery for me that he signed with NHL club after he signed a contract with Blues Espoo (Liiga). Also he has said that he doesn't think he's good enough for the NHL yet and doesn't want to play in the AHL. Weird.
IMO Finnish league would be better for his development right now.
It seems like nobody wants him in AHL. If he fails in camp, he can go back to the Finland.

Jeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2014, 05:23 AM
joey16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeez View Post
It seems like nobody wants him in AHL. If he fails in camp, he can go back to the Finland.
Yeah, there were no more details at that moment... that way it's OK I guess
even though I like him, I doubt he will make the team

joey16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2014, 05:31 AM
Ola

I am usually not the biggest fan of sticking people in the AHL too soon. But its the best plays for Euro Ds to learn to play defense in the NHL. No doubt. If he is "ready" offensively, playing in the AHL could be good for him. You can develop offense too in the AHL of course, but if he still is developing his core of his game, it might be best to not disturb that too much and let him build on what he got going in a familiar environment for a while longer.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2014, 05:55 AM
Ail
k.

I like the idea of signing as many UDFAs as possible, however if this kid is supposedly a loose cannon, and already stated he isn't interested in playing in the AHL, those aren't good signs.

Of course this could all be hearsay.

rip
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2014, 06:48 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ail View Post
I like the idea of signing as many UDFAs as possible, however if this kid is supposedly a loose cannon, and already stated he isn't interested in playing in the AHL, those aren't good signs.

Or maybe they are good signs.

We aren't "Florida" anymore. I am not that concern about some Czech rookie born in 93' coming here disturbing our chemistry. I mean, I think lazy and soft are hard things to overcome. But being a bit of a loose cannon might not kill you. I mean, I saw someone mention that he was prized as the best D in the Czech League, which has been kind of on the downside lately. But still, its fairly decent league. Its not like he can be a player that is so crazy that you can't put him on the ice at this level.

It would be nice if this kid could turn into a Czech PK Subban!

Old
06-11-2014, 07:11 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Chicago got a good kid in Rasmussen (good PF)...

I remember those younger Ds on the Czech Rep more as a group than individuals and can't really comment on Zamorsky specifically. He sounds like a good signing though.
rasmussen is not physical, he is not a pf.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2014, 07:30 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
This is good. Bring him to camp, and if he's not ready loan him to Blues and let him play the season in Finland. Then you can take another look at him the following season.

ELH is a good league, and it's a substantial accomplishment for a 21-year-old to be named the league's top defenseman. You also have to like that he stepped his game up in the playoffs, with 9 points in 14 games for Zlin who won the championship.

A young, right-handed, puck-moving defenseman who has a little bit of an edge and crazy streak, and who has won accolades in a top European league...hard not to like the move. I really like the strategy of signing these UDFA players to help restock the system with the draft picks we've moved out recently. I look forward to seeing them in camp.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2014, 07:35 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:

I'm not worried about the "loose cannon" aspect of him. He's young, so he can still mature. And if you have the talent, I think it's okay to bring a little bit of crazy to the ice each night.

The AHL thing--if it's something that has been publicly stated, surely the organization was aware and has discussed it with him. I would assume that either he indicated a willingness to try it out, or that the team told him he would be loaned back to his Finnish team if he didn't make the cut. I mean, worst case is you have a guy that doesn't want to play in the AHL and ends up playing out his ELC in Europe, like Pavel Valentenko, Ilkka Heikkinen, Andreas Ambuhl, etc. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't really hurt us.

Old
06-11-2014, 07:41 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Or maybe they are good signs.

We aren't "Florida" anymore. I am not that concern about some Czech rookie born in 93' coming here disturbing our chemistry. I mean, I think lazy and soft are hard things to overcome. But being a bit of a loose cannon might not kill you. I mean, I saw someone mention that he was prized as the best D in the Czech League, which has been kind of on the downside lately. But still, its fairly decent league. Its not like he can be a player that is so crazy that you can't put him on the ice at this level.

It would be nice if this kid could turn into a Czech PK Subban!
I like the idea of a loose cannon on the ice. I am a big fan of guys who create havoc and get their opponents off their game. It's the off ice crazy that is concerning, not so much for the sake of the locker room, but rather making demands or feeling entitled. I guess seeing as this is basically a 'free' prospect it is hard to complain.

I think training camp this year will be very good.

Old
06-11-2014, 07:47 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
I like the idea of a loose cannon on the ice. I am a big fan of guys who create havoc and get their opponents off their game. It's the off ice crazy that is concerning, not so much for the sake of the locker room, but rather making demands or feeling entitled. I guess seeing as this is basically a 'free' prospect it is hard to complain.

I think training camp this year will be very good.
Yeah, I understand this sentiment. Though I also understand it from the player's perspective--they can play in their country's top tier while making good money, or ride the bus in a second division league in a foreign land making $70k US. If I were in that situation, I'd probably do all I could to negotiate a spot on the big club, too. As long as a guy doesn't indicate he's okay with competing for a spot only to pitch a fit when he doesn't make it, I'm okay with asking for some guarantees.

Old
06-11-2014, 08:03 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Yeah, I understand this sentiment. Though I also understand it from the player's perspective--they can play in their country's top tier while making good money, or ride the bus in a second division league in a foreign land making $70k US. If I were in that situation, I'd probably do all I could to negotiate a spot on the big club, too. As long as a guy doesn't indicate he's okay with competing for a spot only to pitch a fit when he doesn't make it, I'm okay with asking for some guarantees.
Right. I don't blame him one bit for wanting to play in Europe over the AHL. Any prospect for that matter. The one thing I don't like is the lack of experience on small ice. Lindberg tore up the SEL then came over to play in the AHL. To me that shows a commitment to learning the NA game and earning a spot in the NHL in the face of the comforts of playing at home and making top dollar. Not every player needs to acclimate to the NA game, but usually those guys are top prospects. Still, the bottom line remains a no lose situation for the Rangers for a high potential RHD. I'm just nitpicking.

Old
06-11-2014, 08:13 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatOne View Post
rasmussen is not physical, he is not a pf.
Physical and physical, he was easily the most physical players in the series against LuleŚ in the SHL POs...

But I mean, the kid is a modern type PF. Why are LAK giving us headaches? They are just heavier than us infront of the net. They go to the net hard and they are very hard to handle infront of the net. Their forwards aren't running around like Zac Rinaldo or Ryan Hollweg, they are going to the net.

Rasmussen is a decent forward, maybe not good enough for ever making it in the NHL, maybe he is, he is a lot more talented than guys like Beach and Akim Aliu and co we had in HFD the last year. But -- he is able to do exactly what you want from a big winger these days. He goes really hard to the net. He is really hard to contain infront of the net. He understands the game well and is smart on the ice.

Thats why he was so sought after and why Chicago went so hard to get his signature. He aint Bickell II, but he contributes in the exact same areas.

Old
06-11-2014, 09:21 AM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Gotta say I know nothing of the player, at all.

But I love how the Rangers continue to sign undrafted players all over the world, college, etc. it just shows the dedication the scouting and player development departments of this franchise, making these deals during the final nonetheless. Hard working organization that is never satisfied and it filters down to the product on the ice.
Well if he keeps giving draft picks up he has to keep the scouting staff busy somehow.

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2014, 09:34 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Physical and physical, he was easily the most physical players in the series against LuleŚ in the SHL POs...

But I mean, the kid is a modern type PF. Why are LAK giving us headaches? They are just heavier than us infront of the net. They go to the net hard and they are very hard to handle infront of the net. Their forwards aren't running around like Zac Rinaldo or Ryan Hollweg, they are going to the net.

Rasmussen is a decent forward, maybe not good enough for ever making it in the NHL, maybe he is, he is a lot more talented than guys like Beach and Akim Aliu and co we had in HFD the last year. But -- he is able to do exactly what you want from a big winger these days. He goes really hard to the net. He is really hard to contain infront of the net. He understands the game well and is smart on the ice.

Thats why he was so sought after and why Chicago went so hard to get his signature. He aint Bickell II, but he contributes in the exact same areas.
Sounds like a Stalberg type player.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2014, 09:35 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Have you seen him play, Jon?
Mostly saw him at the WCs. I followed him a bit last season when his name started to grow as a potential hot UDFA. High risk (but as a UDFA, no risk), high reward.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2014, 09:51 AM
azaloum90

Quote:

But I love how the Rangers continue to sign undrafted players all over the world, college, etc. it just shows the dedication the scouting and player development departments of this franchise, making these deals during the final nonetheless. Hard working organization that is never satisfied and it filters down to the product on the ice.
I think they realize what a hit they took in 2012-13 by signing horrendous free agents. I'm they did figure this out, because I'd rather have depth that is 18-25 years old rather than 28-35 years old. We all know how Taylor Pyatt and Aaron Asham worked out... lmfao

azaloum90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2014, 10:04 AM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 1647
Quote:

It makes me feel confident. Even though we don't have as many draft picks, we are continuing bring in new players via other means. Hopefully this should mitigate some of the issues that would stem from trading all these draft picks.

Dan Girardi was an undrafted FA signing. Even if 1/10 turns out to be someone half as good as Danny G, it will bode well for us in the future.

06-11-2014, 10:20 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
We've had some good luck recently with UDFA players. Zuccarello was an undrafted European, and Cam Talbot was undrafted out of college. Conor Allen is obviously still unproven, but he looks like he could become a player as well.

Old
06-11-2014, 10:52 AM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Never a bad thing to fill the system. A good way to make up for the lack of draft picks we've had the past couple of seasons.

Looking forward to seeing what he's got.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2014, 11:06 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Given our draft record of not producing impact players, this seems to be the best method of finding talented kids . I'm OK with that.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2014, 11:21 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Law View Post
Mostly saw him at the WCs. I followed him a bit last season when his name started to grow as a potential hot UDFA. High risk (but as a UDFA, no risk), high reward.
Sounds good to me. Much better than wasting contracts on Darroll Powes.

Agree with nyr2k2's comment about crazy. As long as he's not an ass off the ice or a dbag on it, I certainly don't mind crazy. Love Kreider's edge; hate Chris Doyle's off-ice issues and (*gets ready to duck*) Sean Avery's on-ice dirty, cheap, classless ********.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2014, 11:38 AM
NYR Viper

I'd take a bit more crazy on the NHL team honestly. It makes other teams take notice and keep their heads up. I think it's something this team lacks, a true killer instinct.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2014, 11:47 AM
nyrleetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Sounds good to me. Much better than wasting contracts on Darroll Powes.

Agree with nyr2k2's comment about crazy. As long as he's not an ass off the ice or a dbag on it, I certainly don't mind crazy. Love Kreider's edge; hate Chris Doyle's off-ice issues and (*gets ready to duck*) Sean Avery's on-ice dirty, cheap, classless ********.
Avery was never suspended for a hockey play.

nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2014, 12:00 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post
Avery was never suspended for a hockey play.
I'm not talking about suspensions. I'm talking about players who help the team vs. harm it.

I always drew the comparison between Tikkanen and Avery. The former was a world-class agitator that could get under the other team's skin and help his team (and without being a *******, which matters to me, but not as much to others); the latter did much more harm than good - having him on the team was a liability 80% of the time (and he was a *******, which I hate). Guys like Tikk, Kaspar, etc. = thumbs up. Guys like Avery, Cooke, etc. = thumbs down.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2014, 12:12 PM
Jeez
Jay Jay

How is his surname in English ? Isn't it clear, he will make the NHL ?

Jeez is offline   Reply With Quote