HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Quagmire Iraq - 2014 Edition

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2014, 01:46 PM
PSUCapsFan

vCash: 500
I bet the Kurds are happy with the American involvement in Iraq. I think we should support the Kurds and purchase their oil. They seem like an enlightened bunch of people.

How does the power structure work in Iraq? Is their anyway we can put the Kurds in charge?

Let the Sunni and Shia Arabs fight it out until they get tired of the bloodshed and decide to step out of the dark ages.

Old
06-12-2014, 02:00 PM
Puck
Ninja

The conflict there never stopped since the Bush invasion. It just stops being news because the novelty wears off, it's part of the scenery. Sometimes something out of the norm occurs and it makes the papers again. ANd now it's Obama's fault? I just heard Cantor say he has much work left with Republicans to repair the Obama economy; I just about fell off my chair.

The same will happen in Afghanistan once all US troops leave. It;s probably why Obama is keeping a few there until after the 2014 mid-terms. Karzai's muppet will last about 2-3 years at best after Obama pulls the last soldier out.

Old
06-12-2014, 02:16 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUCapsFan View Post
Let the Sunni and Shia Arabs fight it out until they get tired of the bloodshed and decide to step out of the dark ages.
What are the people who are tired of bloodshed supposed to do? Fight the people who want more bloodshed?

Old
06-12-2014, 02:28 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUCapsFan View Post
I bet the Kurds are happy with the American involvement in Iraq. I think we should support the Kurds and purchase their oil. They seem like an enlightened bunch of people.

How does the power structure work in Iraq? Is their anyway we can put the Kurds in charge?

The Kurds have so many internal problems. They put aside their differences in moments of crisis, but once they get past the crisis there's always infighting. Though given a real chance at statehood might create the potential for them to get past that.

Putting the Kurds in charge isn't going to help anything anyway. The problem is Iraq shouldn't really be a country anymore, but nobody wants to split it up (largely because nobody wants to relinquish their share of the country's oil wealth).

To address the threat title: Iraq isn't going to be Islamist. But I think there's a good chance that Iraq isn't going to be a state, either.

Old
06-12-2014, 02:29 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
The conflict there never stopped since the Bush invasion. It just stops being news because the novelty wears off, it's part of the scenery. Sometimes something out of the norm occurs and it makes the papers again. ANd now it's Obama's fault? I just heard Cantor say he has much work left with Republicans to repair the Obama economy; I just about fell off my chair.

The same will happen in Afghanistan once all US troops leave. It;s probably why Obama is keeping a few there until after the 2014 mid-terms. Karzai's muppet will last about 2-3 years at best after Obama pulls the last soldier out.
I think there's a lot more hope for Afghanistan's long-term stability, actually.

Old
06-12-2014, 02:29 PM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
What are the people who are tired of bloodshed supposed to do? Fight the people who want more bloodshed?
Move.

Old
06-12-2014, 03:35 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler Drift View Post
Move.
850+K refugees in Iran.
500K refugees in Turkey
550+K refugees in Lebanon
600+K refugees in Jordan (!!!)

I understand not knowing what to do about it, but how can anyone not care about it?

Old
06-12-2014, 03:37 PM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
850+K refugees in Iran.
500K refugees in Turkey
550+K refugees in Lebanon
600+K refugees in Jordan (!!!)

I understand not knowing what to do about it, but how can anyone not care about it?
I wasn't being serious. You have heard of irony yes? You have heard morons stating that natives/blacks, etc, should just go back where they came from yes?

Is it really necessary to use a sarcasm emoticon all the time? Good grief.

Old
06-12-2014, 03:46 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler Drift View Post
I wasn't being serious. You have heard of irony yes? You have heard morons stating that natives/blacks, etc, should just go back where they came from yes?

Is it really necessary to use a sarcasm emoticon all the time? Good grief.
This is why I don't like hipsters. I can never tell when they're being ironic and condescending as opposed to merely being condescending.

Old
06-12-2014, 03:56 PM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
This is why I don't like hipsters. I can never tell when they're being ironic and condescending as opposed to merely being condescending.
A hipster? Wrong age bracket Sunny Jim.

And the only one being condescending here is you.

Last edited by Doppler Drift: 06-12-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old
06-12-2014, 04:01 PM
Ugmo

I don't understand how people can simply not care about what's happening in Iraq. Especially Americans, because this situation is a direct result of the botched invasion. Not that they had it great under Saddam, but the current situation is pretty much 100 percent America's doing. So the whole "Sorry we ****ed up your country, but eh, you're on your own now" attitude is pretty unbelievable.

Old
06-12-2014, 04:03 PM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
I don't understand how people can simply not care about what's happening in Iraq. Especially Americans, because this situation is a direct result of the botched invasion. Not that they had it great under Saddam, but the current situation is pretty much 100 percent America's doing. So the whole "Sorry we ****ed up your country, but eh, you're on your own now" attitude is pretty unbelievable.
I'm sure most people care. The true tragedy is that we have been screwing with the Middle East for over 60 years, and it shows no signs of slowing down.

Old
06-12-2014, 04:14 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
I was completely against the invasion, but it's hard to see how this is 100% America's doing.

Old
06-12-2014, 04:17 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
You'd have done well in the 30's state department...
The main reason we were attacked is because we continually meddle in their affairs.

Old
06-12-2014, 04:17 PM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Misfits View Post
Are you saying that the attempt to bring democracy and peace to Iraq failed?

Unpossible. The religion of government is far superior.
This post actually makes a lot of sense if you read it in Ralph Wiggum's voice.

Old
06-12-2014, 04:21 PM
Ugmo

Quote:
I was completely against the invasion, but it's hard to see how this is 100% America's doing.
It's completely America's doing because of the power vacuum and civil war that took hold when the bumbling Bushies failed to plan for the occupation. On top of which, the U.S. dissolved the Iraqi army after the invasion, resulting in a lot of free time and a huge chip on the shoulder for hundreds of thousands of Sunnis. No invasion means no bloodthirsty Isamists with a penchant for cutting off people's heads, and an invasion with a plan for keeping the peace would have reduced the chances of that happening.

Old
06-12-2014, 04:27 PM
Rekin

According to a study Canada is among the most Islamic countries in the world, while no actual Muslim-majority state makes the top 30:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...tates-lag.html

Old
06-12-2014, 04:33 PM
Puck
Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
I think there's a lot more hope for Afghanistan's long-term stability, actually.
Depends what you mean by stability. After the US leaves the power balances will shift and the Afghan warlords will probably go back to what they know best, fight amongst themselves with never a clear winner. The guy in Kabul is handy if he has US bucks to dispense, less so if he doesn't. If he does survive it will be in a ceremonial capacity, the tribal chiefs will continue to run their own affairs like they have for centuries. Good chance the ceremonial position in Kabul won't be Karzai's successor for long if he doesn't have a real good reason for being there (more than just being elected). We probably won't even notice in our newspapers by then.

Old
06-12-2014, 04:42 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
It's completely America's doing because of the power vacuum and civil war that took hold when the bumbling Bushies failed to plan for the occupation. On top of which, the U.S. dissolved the Iraqi army after the invasion, resulting in a lot of free time and a huge chip on the shoulder for hundreds of thousands of Sunnis. No invasion means no bloodthirsty Isamists with a penchant for cutting off people's heads, and an invasion with a plan for keeping the peace would have reduced the chances of that happening.
I don't know. The whole thing is like a giant whack-a-mole. The Iraq invasion busted the sledgehammer, but the mole was already there.

Old
06-12-2014, 04:56 PM
Nightslyr

Send a message via AIM to Nightslyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Law View Post
The main reason we were attacked is because we continually meddle in their affairs.
Which is something I don't understand. Is it about oil? Religion? A mix of the two?

It's just odd that we always poke that area with a stick/bomb/drone, but not other areas, like, say, Africa-proper.

Old
06-12-2014, 04:57 PM
Puck
Ninja

Quote:
I don't know. The whole thing is like a giant whack-a-mole. The Iraq invasion busted the sledgehammer, but the mole was already there.
Agreed. The US invasion ended a long Sunni led government oppressing Shia. Now you just have Shia oppressing Sunni. Indirect US meddling by-product perhaps but the Shia are the majority and the Sunni were the minority; doesn't make it better though. This latest round started last year with the Government Shia Army hitting the town of Hawijah, killing Sunnis. Now all of a sudden, the Sunni jihadists are the defenders of Sunni rights. Another civil war on the way. Not Obama's fault and not really Bush's either at this point. If Bush hadn't intervened, the parties would be just be reversed and it would be Sunni oppressing Shia. So there was never a Mission Accomplished, it was just a stir of the pot IMHO. It's how it rolls.

Old
06-12-2014, 05:12 PM
Ugmo

Fellas, Bush's war destabilized the entire region und unleashed the power of radical Islamism. Say what you want about the Sunnis under Saddam, but they weren't radical fundamentalists like this current crop.

Old
06-12-2014, 05:24 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Fellas, Bush's war destabilized the entire region und unleashed the power of radical Islamism. Say what you want about the Sunnis under Saddam, but they weren't radical fundamentalists like this current crop.
I guess I really don't care whether it is radical Islamists or Baathists killing and displacing people. I mean the current situation is, in part, caused by a demonic slaughtering Baathist allied with a theocracy. The rebellion against the Baathist caused a power vacuum there, which created an opportunity for Sunni Islamists to capture Sunni areas in Iraq!

The previous demonic slaughtering Baathist caused the allegiance between the current demonic slaughtering Baathist and the theocracy in their previous war.

I mean, the invasion is partly to blame. So is Iran. So is Assad. So is our non-intervention in Syria. Russia has historical blame, too.

Old
06-12-2014, 05:41 PM
Puck
Ninja

Quote:
Indirectly making the case for leaving Assad be in Syria. No?

Old
06-12-2014, 05:44 PM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post
Indirectly making the case for leaving Assad be in Syria. No?
Depends. As of right now that is probably the best of a bunch of bad options, but there was a moderate opposition a couple of years ago that we failed to adequately support despite a constant stream of high-ranking and rank-and-file army defections.

Closed Thread