HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mike Richards is not expected to be bought out

Old
06-11-2014, 10:51 PM
KingCanadain1976

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLKesselftw View Post
Really? I thought the Kings would want to re-sign both or at least one of them? no?
We have to let at least one go McNabb is out of options He would have to go thru waivers to be put in the ahl. I seriously doubt he would clear as he has over a 100 mph shot and hits like a frieght train Boderchuk has one of the best + - ratio in the ahl hes as ready as he ll ever be. There is also Campbell who got a few games this year and was pretty solid imo. Kings could go cheap if they felt like it.

KingCanadain1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 12:01 AM
go4hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
In game 4 of the stanley cup after 2 periods he has 3:50 of even strength time on ice. The only two players on both teams that have less even strength toi are lewis and clifford...his line mates. The guy is a 4th liner
Why do you only name his even strength numbers and fail to see he still is a good pen killer and plays on 2nd pp unit.

go4hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 02:57 AM
thaman8765678

Why are people thinking there's any chance Richards is bought out?

-He's helped lead them to a game away from 2 Stanley Cups in 3 years since joining

-Buying him out would upset the chemistry of the team (seems to be one of their leaders)

-Buying him out would piss off Carter which would hurt the team if his production falls off.

It just makes no sense at this point to buy him out. We should have this discussion in a few years from now.

thaman8765678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 07:54 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

I wonder if Richards would mind a 3rd Centre roll in Pittsburgh? Kings would have to absorb some cap though to make that work. Still, having Crosby-Malkin-Richards down the middle through 2020 would be solid.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 07:56 AM
Zirakzigil

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
I wonder if Richards would mind a 3rd Centre roll in Pittsburgh? Kings would have to absorb some cap though to make that work. Still, having Crosby-Malkin-Richards down the middle through 2020 would be solid.
And why would the Kings take on some of his cap hit? If they want to get rid of him they will either trade him at full cap hit or buy him out. They however seem to be happy with him on the team.

Zirakzigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 08:12 AM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
According to Darren Dreger the Jets are not returning to Winnipeg

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 08:40 AM
Kingler

The biggest thing going for the Kings is their character.

They got this far into the playoff because of their close knit locker room and the leadership within them. They do not have cap issue and I don't see how they go messing around with the chemistry by dealing away one of the biggest leader (and winner as DL put it) so they can save a few bucks

Sure, Richards is not scoring like he was, but the Kings are building a perennial contender, not some fantasy team and there's more to a player than his stat. Many people here would put a lot of emphasis on him not scoring 70 pts, but I put just as much emphasis on the fact that he took Gaborik out to breakfast to make the guy feels welcome. And you need THIS on your team

So, I have not seen a very good reason why the Kings should deal/release Mike Richards except that he might be ruining someone fantasy team

Last edited by Kingler: 06-12-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Kingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 09:01 AM
Curufinwe

The general idea is that theoretically they could use the cap space better.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 09:05 AM
Gutless

The buyout rumours sounded ridiculous anyway. Richards is still a productive (relative to his ice-time and linemates) player in this league who's a leader full of character.

If a team does get him this off-season, though, I'll assume he'll work extra hard to prove his doubters wrong. He's only 29.

Gutless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 09:16 AM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
While I maintain that a pragmatist should be in favor of buying Richards out, calling him a fourth line center is a bit of a stretch. He got demoted there, but he still put up .5 PPG. That number doesn't necessarily go down just because he's 29. He's not signed until he's 40 either, so he won't be retiring out of his contract.

Realistically, LA's problems will be two years down the road, but who knows where the cap will be then. It could be approaching 80 which would make Richards's deal only about 7% of their cap. That's hardly the worst albatross a contending team has had on its roster.
I agree with your post.
Plus lets say two years down the road they look at moving him there will still be a young team out there that will want a veteran centre. He will always have enough value to be traded.
I maintain that it is up to Richards. If he does not approve of how he has been surpassed on the depth chart in LA he could want out. That is the only time Dean moves him.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 09:17 AM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
The general idea is that theoretically they could use the cap space better.
On whom this offseason though. They will have enough space to keep Gabby and Richards. What LA could use is a LHD but there is not a plethora of those this year anyway.
LA is better keeping him

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 12:22 PM
Action

There's no way Richards wouldn't be able to return fair trade value. If LA, for whatever reason, decides he has to go, I can think of many teams that'd easily give up something to get him, regardless of his cap and production. No chance we see Richards bought out, IMO.

Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 02:47 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Mike Richards has a free pass in LA. We do things differently here.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 02:54 PM
hockeyfreak7

While I don't think it's mistake no matter which decision they make (arguments can certainly be made for both), can people stop using the "Carter will pout" BS as a legitimate reason to keep him?

Nobody's play or morale will decline because his friend got traded. That's ridiculous. Carter is only known to be a "pouter" because he took it hard getting traded to Columbus. Why the F do we have any reason to believe he'll hold it against the Kings for cutting Richards loose?

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 03:00 PM
theMajor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
how does a 4th line center with a 5.75 million dollar cap hit for the next 5 years have value?
the cap is going up quite a bit in the next few years, his contract isnt as bad as it appears right now

theMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 03:25 PM
Zal

At least someone gets it. And Lombardi is not going to trade him.....

Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 04:04 PM
Analyzer*

Well duh.

If LA is really that strapped on the salary cap, Richards still has good value...

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 04:10 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Well duh.

If LA is really that strapped on the salary cap, Richards still has good value...
La has 12 to 14 million in cap space to resign 5 roster spots. La isn't cap straped at all gaborik and king will be signed for less then 8 million of the 12 McNabb replaces greene less then a million Vey less then a million *13th forward which leaves over 2 (min)million for Mitchell to resign or be replaced.

Old
06-13-2014, 04:21 PM
THall4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Think the Kings would be interested in Gagner for Richards? Helps the Kings cap situation for the next two years. And then no commitments after that. Plus we know the Kings had some interest in Gagner previously.

I also really think Gagner could thrive under some consistent coaching without having to babysit rookies all the time.
Kings dont have a cap situation...in fact their laughing all the way to the stanley cup with a ton of cap space available..and all their core players stil under contract.

THall4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 04:26 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by THall4 View Post
Kings dont have a cap situation...in fact their laughing all the way to the stanley cup with a ton of cap space available..and all their core players stil under contract.
Their cap situation would be improved. It's a fact. $4.8 is less than $5.875

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 04:27 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Their cap situation would be improved. It's a fact. $4.8 is less than $5.875
its worth the extra million not to have gagner to me Richards is the better player in all areas

Old
06-13-2014, 05:39 PM
Clown Baby*

Richards is set to make 5.75 million annually. If that cap continues to rise, which it will, his effective cap-hit decreases which makes his "burden" almost inconsequential. If you don't believe me, take a look at what Parise makes, and what he brings to the table. Wait to see what Callahan and Vanek make. So on and so forth.

Clown Baby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 07:05 PM
Richie10

Richards is still valuable in the locker room and can chip in points. He's had a pretty abysmal year but I doubt any core player is moved any time soon considering the run the Kings are on.

Richie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 07:08 PM
Analyzer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
La has 12 to 14 million in cap space to resign 5 roster spots. La isn't cap straped at all gaborik and king will be signed for less then 8 million of the 12 McNabb replaces greene less then a million Vey less then a million *13th forward which leaves over 2 (min)million for Mitchell to resign or be replaced.
I know, I'm saying if they really needed cap space, they could trade Richards instead of buying him out.

A team like Florida, or Calgary would take his enitre cap hit.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 07:17 PM
xlnc66

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMajor View Post
the cap is going up quite a bit in the next few years, his contract isnt as bad as it appears right now
Not with a 89-92 cent Canadian dollar.

xlnc66 is offline   Reply With Quote