HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you trade for Lecavalier?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-12-2014, 01:10 PM
  #76
David_99
Registered User
 
David_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
With 4 years left at 4.5 mil/year...are you drunk? Did you actually WATCH Lecavalier play last year?

5 on 5 he had 24 points in 69 games
But he could be Montreal's saviour! Our very own Clarkson!

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 01:20 PM
  #77
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 20,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
But he could be Montreal's saviour! Our very own Clarkson!
Clarkson could be our very own Clarkson if we were willing to pick up his contract, I expect. But that wouldn't bring the same Legendary aura that Lecavalier would. And the very legendariness would make it all the more agonizing for Habdom as the years slowly and painfully ticked off Lecavalier's contract and the various factions pitted themselves against eachother.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 01:28 PM
  #78
Pricenyuk
Montreal961
 
Pricenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
This will never die, the dream for some will always be there. Until the day he finally retires, which I hope is soon
Thread the day after he retires:

Speculation: Would you hire Lecavalier as head coach?

Pricenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 01:32 PM
  #79
Markov4Captain
Registered User
 
Markov4Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 2,571
vCash: 500
No, just no. We have to stop acquiring forwards who are obviously past their prime. We have youngsters who could bring exactly what Lecavalier brings (or better) at a cheaper price.

Markov4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 02:16 PM
  #80
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,199
vCash: 500
The second I read the aricle that Philly wanted to trade him I had a sinking feeling in the very core of my being that this thread we going to occur.

I'll ask now what I thought yesterday. Why on God's green, glorious Earth would Montreal want Lecavalier's contract now, a year removed from us not matching it and after the disasteroud year he had, yet again?

This guy is done like dinner. He will never be the Lecavalier of days yonder and he will only get worse and worse as will his contract.

Maybe now that he's a has-been and no one else wants him will he try to play for the one team in the NHL that's been pining for him since before he was drafted. Now I hope we return in kind the same desire Lacavalier showed to us when he had the opportunity to play for his home town and politley tell him to GTFO.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 02:23 PM
  #81
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
The second I read the aricle that Philly wanted to trade him I had a sinking feeling in the very core of my being that this thread we going to occur.

I'll ask now what I thought yesterday. Why on God's green, glorious Earth would Montreal want Lecavalier's contract now, a year removed from us not matching it and after the disasteroud year he had, yet again?

This guy is done like dinner. He will never be the Lecavalier of days yonder and he will only get worse and worse as will his contract.

Maybe now that he's a has-been and no one else wants him will he try to play for the one team in the NHL that's been pining for him since before he was drafted. Now I hope we return in kind the same desire Lacavalier showed to us when he had the opportunity to play for his home town and politley tell him to GTFO.
Trading for Lecavalier is about the last thing I expect MB to do.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 02:25 PM
  #82
zzoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 2,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov4Captain View Post
No, just no. We have to stop acquiring forwards who are obviously past their prime. We have youngsters who could bring exactly what Lecavalier brings (or better) at a cheaper price.
I say that to myself too, but Jagr and Iginla keep getting me wrong. Few years ago, Lidstrom.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 02:26 PM
  #83
Hugo Sham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 10,388
vCash: 500
No. ****ing. Way

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 02:29 PM
  #84
Ezpz
No mad pls
 
Ezpz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,768
vCash: 500
Difference being those are good players. Lecavalier had a single elite season(maybe two).

Ezpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 02:31 PM
  #85
S Bah
Registered User
 
S Bah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: victoria bc
Country: Wales
Posts: 5,650
vCash: 500
St.Vinny, I wouldn't take him as a gift, brings to mind beware of Greeks baring gifts, so just a Buyer Beware, gas prices are going up and Lecavalier will want more to play his game in Montreal like a false Gladiator would?

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 02:34 PM
  #86
25get
Registered User
 
25get's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,938
vCash: 500
Vinny


No!

25get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 02:43 PM
  #87
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Trading for Lecavalier is about the last thing I expect MB to do.
He would NEVER trade for him. He made him an offer last year, it was rejected for a better offer, Habs moved on. Why would he now agree to Lacavalier's terms when he didn't the last time around and Vinny has been terrible since?

That's the fun part about the thread, the complete nonsensicalness of it.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 02:57 PM
  #88
donghabs98
Moderator
 
donghabs98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,318
vCash: 200
Maybe if he only had a year or 2 two but three? Nope. He had his chances to come play in Montreal and has passed on them.

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 02:59 PM
  #89
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,214
vCash: 500
Depends on the price to get him.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 03:17 PM
  #90
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
He would NEVER trade for him. He made him an offer last year, it was rejected for a better offer, Habs moved on. Why would he now agree to Lacavalier's terms when he didn't the last time around and Vinny has been terrible since?

That's the fun part about the thread, the complete nonsensicalness of it.
Molson was involved in the wooing process and how often does that happen? I'm not sure how things work but I always thought the final say went to ownership, so I'm not that concerned what Bergevin thinks.

-----

Molson: I heard Philly was looking to trade Lecavalier?

MB: We decided to move on.

Molson: I want to thank you for your services and I'll miss you very much. My buddy McGuire would do the deal if he was GM, maybe that's a direction our organization should be heading.

MB: Now that I had a chance to think about it, you are absolutely right. Lecavalier is exactly what we need and we can fit him into our system beautifully.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 03:24 PM
  #91
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Molson was involved in the wooing process and how often does that happen? I'm not sure how things work but I always thought the final say went to ownership, so I'm not that concerned what Bergevin thinks.

-----

Molson: I heard Philly was looking to trade Lecavalier?

MB: We decided to move on.

Molson: I want to thank you for your services and I'll miss you very much. My buddy McGuire would do the deal if he was GM, maybe that's a direction our organization should be heading.

MB: Now that I had a chance to think about it, you are absolutely right. Lecavalier is exactly what we need and we can fit him into our system beautifully.
Molson is the boss, but if he's this meddlesome in hockey ops, the team has big problems. We're still getting over Ronald Corey.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 03:27 PM
  #92
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Molson is the boss, but if he's this meddlesome in hockey ops, the team has big problems. We're still getting over Ronald Corey.
Maybe JM is...but I'm sure he also trusts MB's skill as GM and wants to keep him. Can't see MB having a hard time convincing JM that Lecavalier is a bad contract and declining player regardless of what province he is from.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 03:29 PM
  #93
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Molson is the boss, but if he's this meddlesome in hockey ops, the team has big problems. We're still getting over Ronald Corey.
I doubt he meddles very often but if someone he wants, he'll let it be known.

I think owners meddle a lot more then most people realize, maybe not in the day to day operations but in the overall direction and a player here and a player there.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 03:29 PM
  #94
MontrealCanadiens
Registered User
 
MontrealCanadiens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 193
vCash: 500
Wouldn't even give up a 5th for that garbage contract. Lecavalier is done. Imagine him 2 years from now.

MontrealCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 03:39 PM
  #95
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
I doubt he meddles very often but if someone he wants, he'll let it be known.

I think owners meddle a lot more then most people realize, maybe not in the day to day operations but in the overall direction and a player here and a player there.
This situation has nuance. Molson is part of the ownership group , he's also the President. I would look for a President, who often times has a hockey background, to buffer between ownership and the GM. In this case, ownership is the buffer and he has limited hockey knowledge. Ugh.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 03:56 PM
  #96
Bullsmith
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,179
vCash: 500
Lecavalier is one of those special players who is going to get bought out twice. Do not want to be the next team to do it.

Frankly taking on that contract should cost less than nothing. Philly should have to give Lecavalier plus just to be rid of the contract. Of course that was true of Gomez when we gave up a fortune anyway.

Please no.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 03:59 PM
  #97
1UP
Registered User
 
1UP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,975
vCash: 500
On contract value, Desharnais is miles above Lecavalier right now. Shorter term, less money for a much better player. This isn't 2002-2008 prime Vince we're going to get, it's the washed up one. Brière is pretty much the same as Lecavalier as far as player quality goes right now, and he's signed only for 1 more year, not 4 (holy poop, FOUR) more.

Lecavalier's contract is a big mess because it's 5 years instead of 2. That Philly was ready to give him 5 years shows why he didn't pick the Habs. He's not crazy!

And, you'd want to send a 2nd their way as well? My oh my. You're really overrating 2014 Lecavalier and underrating Desharnais, who's a BARGAIN at his cap hit.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 04:22 PM
  #98
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,382
vCash: 500
I love it when teams jam themselves with stupid contracts. No need to give any of them a lifeline.

That is why I love Bergies thoughts on free agency, it's a trap.

Develop consistently, sign your own players to fair contracts, build goodwill . Let teams like the Leafs and Flyers hang themselves with their cheque books.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 04:25 PM
  #99
greyboy67
Registered User
 
greyboy67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 286
vCash: 500
Didn't we have this conversation back in 2008? Been there, done that.

greyboy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 04:30 PM
  #100
ChesterNimitz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: CinCPac
Country: Midway Islands
Posts: 516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Are we doing this again? Sigh...
It will be recurring theme until he changes his name to Lawson or Lewis or .... retires.

ChesterNimitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.