HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Keep one: Staal or Strålman?

View Poll Results: If you could only keep 1, which would it be?
Marc Staal 82 46.07%
Anton Strålman 96 53.93%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-12-2014, 09:03 PM
  #51
Two Tone Malone
This is no Zaku boy!
 
Two Tone Malone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 739
vCash: 500
Stralman.


Two Tone Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 09:06 PM
  #52
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ail View Post
You're wrong. I know that seems like the Ranger thing to do so it is your default assumption, but that is not happening.
ok Glen, lets bet...............Staal is signed...Stralman will get 4yrs,,,,,,,,,,Boyle 2 and helps the PP

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 09:17 PM
  #53
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,957
vCash: 500
No disrespect to Staal, but one wrong hit and it could end his career. I think you have to take that into consideration. His trade value is higher as well, plus his contract.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 10:52 PM
  #54
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,258
vCash: 500
yeah, i went with Stralman, only because i think you can then turn around and trade staal to get the #1 center you need...

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 10:57 PM
  #55
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people
 
Brendan Shanahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,110
vCash: 500
I proposed this in another thread, but if we re-sign Stralman and trade Staal to a team that needs him like the Sharks for a top-six center like Pavelski...that would be awesome. We can buy out Richards too!

Brendan Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 11:11 PM
  #56
mike14
Registered User
 
mike14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne
Country: Australia
Posts: 4,405
vCash: 500
IMO with the concussion, the potential eye issue (perceived if not real) and only 1 season left to FA, we'll have to a add a pretty good piece to Staal to get a 60pt + center.

Would people be ok moving something like Staal + Miller for Pavelski?

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 11:14 PM
  #57
JeffMangum
~anger~
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 58,067
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
IMO with the concussion, the potential eye issue (perceived if not real) and only 1 season left to FA, we'll have to a add a pretty good piece to Staal to get a 60pt + center.

Would people be ok moving something like Staal + Miller for Pavelski?
No, not OK with moving Miller. But that's me.

__________________
Soon.
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 11:19 PM
  #58
mike14
Registered User
 
mike14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne
Country: Australia
Posts: 4,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBoyle View Post
No, not OK with moving Miller. But that's me.
neither am I, but without an extra piece I'm not sure we are going to get the upgrade that we need. Maybe Brassard's rights along with Staal would work?

Regardless, it's going to be very interesting to see how Slats handles our D-corps over the off-season

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 11:33 PM
  #59
bto131
Mcdonagh 4 Captain!
 
bto131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: florida
Country: United States
Posts: 1,008
vCash: 500
Stralman we have too many LHDs in the system coming up and staal is the odd man out with his injuries and loss of offensive talent...

Klein is only sign for one or two more years and when he's done mcilrath will fit right in, if not sooner.
Between Allen and Moore I think will be good on the bottom two pairs for next yr and the future

bto131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 11:42 PM
  #60
Lundquest
♔ -30- ♔
 
Lundquest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,400
vCash: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Shanahan View Post
I proposed this in another thread, but if we re-sign Stralman and trade Staal to a team that needs him like the Sharks for a top-six center like Pavelski...that would be awesome. We can buy out Richards too!
I would definitely pull the trigger on a deal netting Pavelski.

Lundquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 11:48 PM
  #61
Killem Dafoe
Moderator
k.
 
Killem Dafoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Land of Bad Drivers
Country: United States
Posts: 16,223
vCash: 50
When we first signed Stralman and you told me that one day there would be a poll like this, I would have laughed. If you then told me the poll would be in favor of keeping Stralman, I'd be in downright shock.

That said, I say depending on what Stralman wants, keep him. Trade Staal, preferably at the draft, and get a 1st and/or prospects.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 01:18 AM
  #62
theJUMPER
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 909
vCash: 500
I think this is a real sophie's choice this offseason.

Stralman for 3.5

theJUMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 01:30 AM
  #63
JeffMangum
~anger~
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 58,067
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by theJUMPER View Post
I think this is a real sophie's choice this offseason.

Stralman for 3.5
yah we wish

I'd be happy to lock him up for something like 4.5x5 at this point

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 01:37 AM
  #64
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 19,060
vCash: 500
Staal+Miller for Pavelski I think I definitely do. Rangers with Pavelski would be crazy good.

My preferred option is still Klein for a 2nd/3rd, keep Staal and Stralman.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 02:07 AM
  #65
mike14
Registered User
 
mike14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne
Country: Australia
Posts: 4,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bto131 View Post
Stralman we have too many LHDs in the system coming up and staal is the odd man out with his injuries and loss of offensive talent...

Klein is only sign for one or two more years and when he's done mcilrath will fit right in, if not sooner.
Between Allen and Moore I think will be good on the bottom two pairs for next yr and the future
Klein is signed at $2.9m for 4 more seasons

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 02:10 AM
  #66
JeffMangum
~anger~
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 58,067
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Staal+Miller for Pavelski I think I definitely do. Rangers with Pavelski would be crazy good.

My preferred option is still Klein for a 2nd/3rd, keep Staal and Stralman.
Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Hagelin-Pavelski-St.Louis

That's a pretty crazy top-6...but I really don't think moving Miller is a good idea.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 02:21 AM
  #67
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBoyle View Post
Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Hagelin-Pavelski-St.Louis

That's a pretty crazy top-6...but I really don't think moving Miller is a good idea.
I'm really not sure what people realistically think Miller's going to develop into. On one hand, he's super young, already a point-per-game player in the AHL. But he also alternates between being unnoticeable and a defensive nightmare at the NHL level. I'd feel better about him if he was faster, but I'm not seeing the speed people claim he displays.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 02:33 AM
  #68
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
I'm really not sure what people realistically think Miller's going to develop into. On one hand, he's super young, already a point-per-game player in the AHL. But he also alternates between being unnoticeable and a defensive nightmare at the NHL level. I'd feel better about him if he was faster, but I'm not seeing the speed people claim he displays.


if you take that last sentence about speed away (which i disagree btw, hes a damn good skater) youre literally describing Chris Kreider before he was called up this season.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 03:16 AM
  #69
RidinwitdaKING
Registered User
 
RidinwitdaKING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 282
vCash: 500
Stralman- Much Cheaper 5yrs/18M? compared to Staal 6 yrs/35M
no Concussions/Eye Problems, more consistent.
I like marc staal but we can live without him.

RidinwitdaKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 03:40 AM
  #70
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
if you take that last sentence about speed away (which i disagree btw, hes a damn good skater) youre literally describing Chris Kreider before he was called up this season.
Maybe it's just bad positioning then? He seems to get beat to loose pucks a lot. He and Lindberg will presumably fight it out for Richards' spot next year unless they add someone.

I'm perfectly happy to give Stralman more years in exchange for a lower cap hit. I wish we could get rid of Girardi, but obviously that's not happening with the NMC/NTC for the life of the contract. Locking up Staal, another defenseman who's neither mobile nor good with the puck, is asking for trouble.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 03:42 AM
  #71
FromTheSide
Registered User
 
FromTheSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 23,884
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide


Quote:
Originally Posted by RidinwitdaKING View Post
Stralman- Much Cheaper 5yrs/18M? compared to Staal 6 yrs/35M
no Concussions/Eye Problems, more consistent.
I like marc staal but we can live without him.
Who exactly is reporting staal wants nearly $6mill a year?

Since when do shutdown dmen even command anything close to that on the market?

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 03:49 AM
  #72
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
Who exactly is reporting staal wants nearly $6mill a year?

Since when do shutdown dmen even command anything close to that on the market?
Didn't we just give Girardi a $5.5 million cap hit for six years?

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 04:06 AM
  #73
Blue Blooded
Registered User
 
Blue Blooded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
This is how I rank our defencemen in order of how important they are to keep:

McDonagh
Strålman
Staal
Girardi
Diaz
Moore/Klein

Voted Strålman, but would like to keep both. Though I'm very open to trading Staal if we get a good return.

Also, can people stop saying we have three #1 defencemen? It just isn't true. We do however have one of the best #1 defencemen in McDonagh, but putting Staal/Girardi in that category right now is delusional IMO.

How would you react if a Flyers fan said they have three #1's in Timonen, Coburn, and MacDonald? Granted all three are worse than their Ranger counterparts, but the comparison isn't completely off.

Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 05:06 AM
  #74
Mikos87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,096
vCash: 500
Yikes, Anton Stralman played top 4 minutes for the 1st time in his career this year. He's a good player and a board favorite, but I don't think he does nearly as well without Staal.

Not opposed to trading Staal, but it isn't exactly like top 4 D grows on trees.

I don't know if anyone has noticed or not outside of the advanced stat guys, but JMoore was sheltered like Matt Gilroy in the playoffs. Team did just fine with Del Zotto replacing Staal when Staal was injured, but JMoore has not exactly proven that he can do that.

I don't think Stralman>Staal, nor do I think Stralman at $4>Return on Staal.

Brady Skjei hasn't played a single pro game. Conor Allen (who I think is better an JMoore) only played 3 NHL games. You don't trade capable defensemen unless you have a replacement.

This trade Staal talk is reminiscent of the trade Hagelin talk earlier this year until people actually realized how valuable a Hagelin can be in the playoffs. But then again I can totally see the frustration with Staal's lack of puck skills and his lack of contribution in the last 5-8 games causing trending opinion on this board.

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 06:58 AM
  #75
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
This is how I rank our defencemen in order of how important they are to keep:

McDonagh
Strålman
Staal
Girardi
Diaz
Moore/Klein

Voted Strålman, but would like to keep both. Though I'm very open to trading Staal if we get a good return.

Also, can people stop saying we have three #1 defencemen? It just isn't true. We do however have one of the best #1 defencemen in McDonagh, but putting Staal/Girardi in that category right now is delusional IMO.

How would you react if a Flyers fan said they have three #1's in Timonen, Coburn, and MacDonald? Granted all three are worse than their Ranger counterparts, but the comparison isn't completely off.
So I know girardi is having issues this series but Jeesh he's easier 2 behind mcdonaugh . Then Staal

Stralman leaving would suck but Klein is souks plus signing dan Boyle will be on the list . Ideally mcilrath is close on rd too

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.