HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

In-Game Thread: Devils vs. Islanders (7 PM - Webcast on NYI.com)

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2003, 11:56 AM
Tom Liodice

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Tom Liodice
In-Game Thread: Devils vs. Islanders (7 PM - Webcast on NYI.com)

Hey guys, just starting off the thread tonight saying that I'll be at the game tonight so I won't be able to do play by play. I will be back later on in the evening to provide you a post game report full of comments from the New York Islanders as they end their preseason tonight. Here's for a 7-0 trip! Enjoy the game!

-TL

Old
10-04-2003, 12:08 PM
NYIsles1*

http://www.newyorkislanders.com/gameday/pregame.html

Seventh Heaven?
Isles Take on the Devils To Get There
http://www.newyorkislanders.com/gameday/insider.html

The Insider:
NJ Devils at Islanders (7 pm)
http://www.newyorkislanders.com/gameday/scoop.html

The Scoop: New Jersey Devils
Should be interesting to see if Stirling finally plays his opening night lineup. Seems like he has backtracked on that a little because of Gervais and how good the competition has been at forward.

To say nothing about picking a starting goaltender. Tonight should be
DiPietro if Stirling is continuing to play both.

Just glad the team is finally home, 7-0 would be great.

Old
10-04-2003, 12:50 PM
CREW99AW

Tough decision for Sterling,choosing the #1 goalie.Both have played well.I wouldn't be surprised to have Sterling say he's going to go with the hot goalie this season,until one grabs the #1 spot.

Old
10-04-2003, 02:10 PM
Jones23

Hunter and Mapletoft are the healthy scratches.Sterling said the team that's on the ice tonight is the team that starts against the Caps.I guess Bergenheim and Papineau have made the team?

Old
10-04-2003, 02:40 PM
Jones23

Chow scores again!...1-0 Isles

During the intermission Chow dedicates his goal to Darth and Trottier! :p

Old
10-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Isle Be Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPeca

2-0
Blake from Peca, Weimer.

Old
10-04-2003, 02:47 PM
Jones23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Be Back

2-0
Blake from Peca, Weimer.
...and Weimer with a scrap after the goal plus giving some lumber to the face of Foster the shift before.Weimer's a beauty!

Old
10-04-2003, 03:30 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Sterling said the team that's on the ice tonight is the team that starts against the Caps.I guess Bergenheim and Papineau have made the team?
The talk in Finland now (at the jatkoaika.com boards) is that Bergenheim will return to Jokerit (announcement Monday?), since he needs to make the Isles top 3 lines to stay in NA. He'll benefit more from playing with Jokerit than playing on the Isles 4th line.

Old
10-04-2003, 03:38 PM
Tiki

Send a message via ICQ to Tiki
Quote:

I got in late tonight (end of the second). Glad to see the Isles up again.

Hopefully this good play carries over to the regular season.

Old
10-04-2003, 03:40 PM
Isle Be Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi
The talk in Finland now (at the jatkoaika.com boards) is that Bergenheim will return to Jokerit (announcement Monday?), since he needs to make the Isles top 3 lines to stay in NA. He'll benefit more from playing with Jokerit than playing on the Isles 4th line.
First, he has to go back if he doesn't make the team. Now, when it appears that he may have made the team, he has to go back if he doesn't make the top three lines? Sorry, but I don't buy that.

For one, line assignments are usually in flux. I hope that they are more consistent than they were last year but I don't see how the team can have made have a contractual or implicit agreement concerning a line assignment.

He may stay, he may return. We won't know for sure until they make an announcement. But I can't see the team taking the position that he has earned a roster spot and deserves to be among the top 12 forwards but will be sent back because he isn't top 9.

If he stays, even if it is on the 4th line, he'll get more action that the 4th line got last year and he'll get PK time.

But, at this point, we can only wait and see.

Old
10-04-2003, 03:58 PM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Hunter and Mapletoft are the healthy scratches.Sterling said the team that's on the ice tonight is the team that starts against the Caps.I guess Bergenheim and Papineau have made the team?
Could be. Only change is when Scatchard returns. Has Papineau beaten out Mapletoft, who is more of a two-way player as a center?

Tigers played and won against Manchester today 3-2 does not seem like any of the players who have played in the recent games played for Bridgeport today.

Between injuries everyone will find enough time. Lots of depth on the roster. No one seems rushed into a role or playing on an off-wing that they have never played.

Butenschon seems to be the seventh defender.

(12) Oleg Kvasha-(79) Alexei Yashin-(21) Mariusz Czerkawski
(55) Jason Blake-(27) Michael Peca-(37) Mark Parrish
(28) Jason Wiemer-(17) Shawn Bates-(45) Arron Asham
(47) Sean Bergenheim-(26) Justin Papineau--(49) Eric Godard

Aside from the giveaway goal by DiPietro, and Blake's injury sounds like a great night for the Isles all against Brodeur.

Parrish is getting hot, Czerkawski, Peca has two, Kvasha has a goal and DiPietro did get an assist.

Old
10-04-2003, 04:09 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
Kvasha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
????????? whatd he do

Old
10-04-2003, 04:18 PM
Tiki

Send a message via ICQ to Tiki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage
????????? whatd he do

Score.

Old
10-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

and is blakes injury serious? what happened

Old
10-04-2003, 04:27 PM
Jones23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage
and is blakes injury serious? what happened
He was hooked by Langenbrunner with 2 minutes left in the second period and didn't return.No update of the injury as of yet.Hopefully minor and just a precaution.

Old
10-04-2003, 04:27 PM
NYIsles1*

http://www.newyorkislanders.com/game...ame100403.html
Isles Complete Impressive 7-0 Preseason

It's only preseason...however
7-0-0-0 !!!!!!!

Seven goals against?

Three stars:
Peca 1g, 1a-Seven pre-season points, tied Blake for preseason lead.
Czerkawski 1g, 1a
DiPietro 24, saves, assist

Devils played about half it's starting roster. Isles played most of the starting roster less Scatchard. (skated today)

Bring on Washington...

Old
10-04-2003, 04:37 PM
Isle Be Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
It's only preseason...however

7-0-0-0 !!!!!!!

Seven goals against?

Three stars:
Peca 1g, 1a-Seven pre-season points, tied Blake for preseason lead.
Czerkawski 1g, 1a
DiPietro 24, saves, assist

Devils played about half it's starting roster. Isles played most of the starting roster less Scatchard. (skated today)

Bring on Washington...
Actually, 8 goals against but who's counting. 4 goals in 211 minutes for Snow, 4 in 209 minutes for DiPietro.

Im trying to restrain my enthusiasm and keep reminding myself that it's only pre-season. I know all this doesn't mean a lot, but it does mean something. After all, if they were 0-7-0-0 nobody here would be saying it doesn't mean anything.

Just how much this means I guess we will start finding out next week. At the very least, I think it means that they feel good about themselves, they feel good about the coach and the system and will be raring to go when the puck drops on the season.

Let's get it on.

Old
10-04-2003, 04:44 PM
The G Man

Just when I thought I was out ... they PUUUUUUULL me back in.

Old
10-04-2003, 08:31 PM
Tom Liodice

Send a message via AIM to Tom Liodice
Hey guys, hope everyone enjoyed the game. Let me tell you something, the Isles did something tonight that I think I did not see at all last year. They actually looked like a team and played like a team. The 5-man units out on the ice tonight were solid all-around. I know it's only preseason, but they are looking damn good now. It's about 1:30AM, but dammit, I've got a game sumamry and post-game comments for you, so here you go and enjoy!!!

**Concerning the Jason Blake injury, he suffered a minor shoulder contusion and hopefully won't miss any time**

Your lines tonight were :
Parrish-Peca-Blake
Czerkawski-Yashin-Kvasha
Weimer-Bates-Asham
Bergenheim-Papineau-Godard

Aucoin-Jonsson
Hamrlik-Martinek
Niinimaa-Cairns

-Game started off with a very good pace to it. It got real fiesty in the beginning with Pikkarainen of NJ boarded Mark Parrish, which caused Jason Blake to get in his face and mix it up a bit. I've noticed Jason Blake becoming more and more physical as the preseason went on. He's starting to throw the body more and do a little more checking.

-Isles seemed to get into the swing of things penalty-wise in the first period, as they quickly went down on a 5-on-3 eight minuntes into the game on Parrish and Niinimaa penalties. The whole 5-on-3 trend continued in the 3rd period, where the Isles went down two men for 1:07 on Bates and Hamrlik infractions.

-The Czerkawski goal was a weird little tally. Yashin's shot went off the crossbar and practically landed right by the goal line with Broduer scrambling. A big crowd amassed in front of the net and it seemed like Czerkawski poked it over the goal line at 15:00. After a video review the goal was made official.

-Two best buddies got together on a goal at 18:58 as Peca centered a pretty pass to Blake in front of the net. Literally as the puck left Blake's stick into the net, Jason Weimer and Sean Brown dropped the gloves in what was a damn good fight. Both landing some pretty good shots and lasted close to a minute.

-In the 2nd, the penalties were held to a minimum. But with David Hale of NJ off for Obs. Interference, the Devils had a pretty good shorthanded opportunity, but DiPietro made a tremendous save to keep them off the board.

-The only blemish on the scoreboard for the Isles came off a DiPietro giveaway, as his stickhandling got him into trouble. On a Devils PP, DiPietro went behind the net to clear the puck, but put the puck right on the stick of the Dev's Paul Martin, who then passed it right to Jiri Bicek standing right in front of an empty Isles cage and potted it in at the 16:17 mark.

-The Isles didn't waste any time to get back on the board, when Jamie Langenbrunner went off for hooking, Michael Peca found himself infront of the net with the puck off a weird little deflection and shot it on home for a PPG at 18:37.

-the Isles wasted no time to get on the board in the 3rd period, as Czerkawski swiped the puck from an unsuspecting Devil and dumped behind to Kvasha, who whizzed it past by Brodeur at the :58 mark.

-Coach Stirling reunirted the "Killer P's" line of Papineau-Peca-Parrish early in the third, as it worked out into the Isles favor as Papineau made a great pass to a breaking Parrish for the goal at 7:05. DiPietro was credited for an assist on Parrish's goal.

Your Three Stars:
1) Michael Peca
2) Mariusz Czerkawski
3) Rick DiPietro

Post-game comments:

-When asked about the players adaptation to "The Striling System", Coach Stirling compared it to "a game of squash. It's real easy to play, but it's real hard to play well. The system we play isn't difficult, everyone knows how to do it and where to go, but to really do it right, it takes some time and work."

-Stirling said that he wanted to get in as much work for Bergenheim as possible, especially on the PK units. Also when asked if it's making it hard to get rid of him, Stirling said "There's no question...he gets better and better, it makes it tough."

-With everyone getting on the scoresheet tonight, DiPietro decided to make an appearance on the scoresheet with an assist, but he'd like to think he had more than that, "I had two assists, one on their goal and one on ours! I fanned on it a little bit...got it out of my system"

-I asked DiPietro if there was any competition between himself and Garth Snow, he said "There's no competition. We get along great and we're both obviously gonna push each other because we both want to play."

-When asked about his health, Micahel Peca said "I feel the same. It's just a matter of confidence building."

-TL

Old
10-05-2003, 02:23 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Be Back
First, he has to go back if he doesn't make the team. Now, when it appears that he may have made the team, he has to go back if he doesn't make the top three lines? Sorry, but I don't buy that.

For one, line assignments are usually in flux. I hope that they are more consistent than they were last year but I don't see how the team can have made have a contractual or implicit agreement concerning a line assignment.

He may stay, he may return. We won't know for sure until they make an announcement. But I can't see the team taking the position that he has earned a roster spot and deserves to be among the top 12 forwards but will be sent back because he isn't top 9.

Jokerit GM Matti Virmanen has said several times that according to Bergenheim's contract, he'll return to Jokerit unless he makes the top 3 lines with the Islanders. Now if that turns out to be false, Virmanen has been talking bs to the fans, in which case he needs to be "taken behind the barn and shot".

Old
10-05-2003, 06:26 AM
blitzkriegs

TL - thanks again, however tonight i was at the game....

some additional commentary:

- Sterling played the 4th line a ton (Godard, Bergenheim, Papineau) in the 3rd period.

- Bergenheim was tapping his stick on the ice all night asking for the puck when he was open

- PK looks very good; no signs of missing LaPointe at this stage

- Chow looked good and made some nice instinctive passes. however, on one play he beat a d-man in the offensive zone but lost the puck, instead of letting it slide to Yashin who was winding up for a slapper, Chow got his stick in front of Yash and tossed a weak offbalance wrister at Brodeur...this is the stuff that people hate about Chow and the stuff that pisses off Yash!

- The Isles stood up for each other after some pretty solid hits by the Devils - especially by the isles bench in the 1st

- Ricky looked very solid; looks like he successfully closed up his five-hole; yes, he wandered too much on 2 different plays (one was the goal against on a bad pass; the other he got caught in a scrum along the boards); he did not over commit; positionally sound

- Kvasha's goal was his typical laser low wrister; he still needs that fire under his butt to 'chase' guys in the neutral zone

- the defense collapsed well in front of Ricky; sometimes a little too much in that if the puck went to the point, devils d-man could tee off.

- isles were very aggresive in blocking shots from all angles

- peca was back to himself!!!! not shying away from hits or just touching guys when he can lay them out; he also had noticeable jump in his first couple strides

- Carins - played a great game! he looked real good, seemed comfortable, and felt like he had something to prove; his skating is better than last year

- Janne - he is the isles best overall skating d-man; start/stop/turn on a dime (even with the puck)...he is a huge addition...

well, here's just some 'extra' stuff for everyone...looking positive thus far...

Old
10-05-2003, 06:37 AM
CREW99AW

Tom and blitzkriegs thanks for the game reports.

Glad to read that DiPietro's not overhandling the puck.Someone who was at his last starts(vs. the Flyers),says he had 4-5 giveaways overhandling the puck.

Closed Thread