HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vinny for Briere straight up?

View Poll Results: Would you trade Vinny for Danny?
yes 20 35.09%
no 37 64.91%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-13-2014, 12:12 AM
  #1
Qyburn
Registered User
 
Qyburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,951
vCash: 500
Vinny for Briere straight up?

If you could, would you trade Vincent Lecavalier for Daniel Briere?

Qyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 12:18 AM
  #2
Random Forest
aka hockeyfreak7
 
Random Forest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 13,342
vCash: 500
If that's the ONLY offer on the table for Lecavalier, I'd take it, but I'd rather take a late pick than have $4m being held hostage on our cap. And I think we can get a pick at the very least.

So I don't know how to answer here.

Random Forest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 12:19 AM
  #3
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 17,943
vCash: 500
1 year of briere or 4 more more of vinny? Easiest decision ever.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 12:24 AM
  #4
Qyburn
Registered User
 
Qyburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,951
vCash: 500
I wanted to gauge if people really thought Vinny's failures were due to an injury by giving them a difficult option. Hopefully we'll see.

Qyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 12:24 AM
  #5
onlylordsvsmorebp
#gudassnipe
 
onlylordsvsmorebp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
1 year of briere or 4 more more of vinny? Easiest decision ever.
that about sums it up.

onlylordsvsmorebp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 12:29 AM
  #6
Random Forest
aka hockeyfreak7
 
Random Forest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 13,342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qyburn View Post
I wanted to gauge if people really thought Vinny's failures were due to an injury by giving them a difficult option. Hopefully we'll see.
To be fair, there are people (such as myself) who don't believe Vinny is done or useless. His start to the season was encouraging, and injuries certainly derailed him-- it's just a matter of fit. He just has no role on this team.

So people either believe that he's an awful player now or that he just had a bad year but doesn't fit on the team. So no matter which camp you're in, you want him out.

Random Forest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 04:17 AM
  #7
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 4,959
vCash: 500
Haha, **** no. **** no.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 07:28 AM
  #8
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,395
vCash: 500
This should be very easily yes for just about anyone I think. Briere has one year left at four mil. Lecavalier has four years left at 4.5 mil. Briere has a one year contract at this point at a lower cap hit. Lecavalier just flat-out has a bad contract that it would either take work to get rid of. Hextall wants Lecavalier out and Lecavalier is open to that if the team is right so it's not as if we have a reason to hold on to him at all anymore.

With that said it won't happen though. The Flyers bought out Briere, they're not going to go and trade for him a year later. It just looks bad, is an awkward situation, and doesn't make a ton of sense.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 10:36 AM
  #9
JackStraw
Moving much too slow
 
JackStraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 3,880
vCash: 500
I voted no but didn't realize Briere's contract situation. So I would change my vote to yes. Although I think I would rather get a draft pick for Vinny if possible.

JackStraw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 11:20 AM
  #10
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Flyerfan4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 19,039
vCash: 500
No !!!!

Flyerfan4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 11:26 AM
  #11
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 17,383
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I would, depending on what the other offers were.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 12:38 PM
  #12
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 66,142
vCash: 500
Vinny very well could bounce back. But back issues at his age are troubling. If he had any other sort of issue I'd be more willing to give him another shot, but I'm really wary of the guy at this point.

__________________
Saturday night, I like to raise a little harm. I'll sleep when I'm dead.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 12:41 PM
  #13
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 18,406
vCash: 500
I would do this easily.

__________________
I deride your truth handling abilities
CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 12:41 PM
  #14
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 17,383
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Vinny very well could bounce back. But back issues at his age are troubling. If he had any other sort of issue I'd be more willing to give him another shot, but I'm really wary of the guy at this point.
Whoa! Never thought I'd hear you say that 30+ year old could bounce back!

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 12:42 PM
  #15
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 66,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Whoa! Never thought I'd hear you say that 30+ year old could bounce back!
That's because you have a fundamental misunderstanding of our stance on older players?

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 12:54 PM
  #16
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 17,383
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
That's because you have a fundamental misunderstanding of our stance on older players?
I'd say it is more likely because whenever I suggest a veteran will have a bounce back year, it is scoffed at by many posters (even in the Phillies thread).

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 03:30 PM
  #17
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 19,395
vCash: 500
There's a reason players Vinnys age don't get expected to bounce back. It's because they lose durability often enough and the signs of regression are usually more clear. It's an old age for hockey.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 03:45 PM
  #18
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,656
vCash: 500
Vinny struggled from injuries I'm sure but given his recent injury history, the fact that he's got 4 yrs left and that he doesn't fit the team very well this is an easy yes for me.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 03:45 PM
  #19
Firehockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: Sweden
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
Vinny > Briere
1y > 4y

though choice

Firehockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 04:03 PM
  #20
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 66,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'd say it is more likely because whenever I suggest a veteran will have a bounce back year, it is scoffed at by many posters (even in the Phillies thread).
It's one thing if it's someone like Briere who is clearly declining naturally. Vinny's down year was very clearly caused by an injury. It's possible that he will be healthier and improve relative to what we saw, but I wouldn't expect him to be fantastic. Since it's a back injury and he's no spring chicken, it's also possible he won't improve much.

It all depends on the situation. Perhaps you are just supporting older players in a poor situation.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 05:45 PM
  #21
TheDrizzle81
Registered User
 
TheDrizzle81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Marlton NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,406
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
We can't reacquire Briere because we bought him out right?

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 05:48 PM
  #22
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 66,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
We can't reacquire Briere because we bought him out right?
That only lasts for a year. I think.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 05:50 PM
  #23
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
That only lasts for a year. I think.
Yeah the ban gets lifted on the 18th of June.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 06:33 PM
  #24
Bryz4shiz
Registered User
 
Bryz4shiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alhoa Oe
Posts: 3,016
vCash: 500
Briere easily. Shorter contract, does **** in the playoffs, and was put in a worse position than Vinny as far as ice-time, zone starts, and quality of competition last year.

Bryz4shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.