HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Olli Jokinen: I'll have another glass of OJ

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-13-2014, 07:17 PM
  #26
Juggernaut27
Registered User
 
Juggernaut27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFame View Post
I would gladly take the 91pt Jokinen 8 years ago(and his hair cut). But I'm inclined to see how Barkov and Bjugstad do in that spot. I'd prefer a scoring winger.
I'd also prefer a scoring winger but I don't see any reason we couldn't get both this year(assuming he's willing to come for a year or two).

It's borderline insane to expect 4 ELC pivots to endure 82 games and (god willing) playoffs. Hubby and Pirri and Howden and Roco are wingers in my books. Our depth chart gets very sparse after our 4 young guys. I'd love to see the young guys grab and hold those 4 spots all year but the chances of that happening...

If every FA d-man is just dying to come to Florida and we rack up some cap hits I could maybe see it not fitting. Or, I guess if we draft a guy like Draisitil and he kills it in camp. But that doesn't seem likely.

I guess the question is what is an alternative? I don't think there's any way that DT goes into training camp with a Jesse Winchester type as his backup plan for 2C/3C. OJ is the first guy on the FA C list that I could see being a fit. Bolland next. Steve Ott? Kidding. Kidding.

Juggernaut27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 07:19 PM
  #27
AaronEkbald
Registered User
 
AaronEkbald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 5,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut27 View Post
Yeah. Leading our entire team in offense sounds awful. I see your well argued points and concede to them.

At least say you don't like his hair or something.
Yeah, comparing point leaders on two different team is smart.

AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 07:42 PM
  #28
Juggernaut27
Registered User
 
Juggernaut27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Tibbles View Post
Yeah, comparing point leaders on two different team is smart.
The Jets scored an extra goal every 3 games compared to the panthers...

You don't trip and fall into 40 points in the NHL in your mid-thirties on a less-than-mediocre team as a 2/3 C.

OJ played 17-ish minutes a night. Same as Barkov/Goc/Bjugstad/Trotchek averaged.

Comparing players on different teams is sort of what people do. On HF especially. Can I compare guys that play on different lines on the same team? How about in different leagues? How about trying to project a player into next season with a new team and different players?

But I'm opened to suggestion. What do we do for next season?

Juggernaut27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 08:09 PM
  #29
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,300
vCash: 500
He won't be a Panther next season. Could've come back last time, need wingers for the kids, not Ollie. Skipped over last time, why would Tallon sign him now?

__________________
Noooo, no you can't have Ekblad!
Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 08:36 PM
  #30
Juggernaut27
Registered User
 
Juggernaut27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
He won't be a Panther next season. Could've come back last time, need wingers for the kids, not Ollie. Skipped over last time, why would Tallon sign him now?
I'm not even disagreeing with that logic. It seems unlikely he'd end up back here for a variety of reasons.

But who fills that need, then? Of the current FA pool, I'll take OJ for a year or two on a not outrageous cap hit over the other options (if managment will ask him and if he will come, and as you say, those are a big couple of if's).

Or is there an honest belief that our current C's are rock solid from 1 - 4 and if there are slumps/injuries/demotions that other current players would be preferable to an OJ?

And the 'rather spend the money elsewhere' thing only works if there's some evidence we'll get anywhere close to the cap this year or next. I don't think our rep among FA's has changed all that much just yet. We have to spend 30 to get to the cieling this year and 30 just to get to the floor the next season. And it'll probably go up, too.

I guess if you want to argue that there is no evidence that Viola has actually given DT the green light to spend to the cap then maybe I'd accept that as a reasonable caveat, as well.

So I guess what I am saying is, despite all these compelling counter-counter arguments, if OJ is on the menu, pour me a glass.

Juggernaut27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 08:41 PM
  #31
CanadianPantherFan
Registered User
 
CanadianPantherFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
Speaking of Finns and UFAs...Leo Komarov anyone? Would love this guy in the bottom 6. I also assume he'll be good to have around for Barkov.

Imagine Bergenheim - Shore/Trocheck - Komarov? This line would create fits for opponents.
Komarov was a BEAST versus Panthers (someone might know more about him). What I saw was a big loss for Leafs. My Leafs friend was like "meh" at the time which surprised me.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 09:08 PM
  #32
SoupyFIN
Moderator
#character
 
SoupyFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 24,562
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut27 View Post
Or is there an honest belief that our current C's are rock solid from 1 - 4 and if there are slumps/injuries/demotions that other current players would be preferable to an OJ?
OJ's history aside, there's just no way he'd come play 2nd fiddle to Barkov and Bjugs. He's still an effective and a good 2C on a normal team.

Chicago makes way too much sense, as long as OJ is down to taking only a 1year deal. I remember reading after he signed with Winnipeg that family came first. At 36, IMO it's now or never to go for the cup.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 09:13 PM
  #33
HockeyRulez
Panthers..... WIN!
 
HockeyRulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Sunshine State
Country: United States
Posts: 2,444
vCash: 500
No, we got rid of him for a reason plus we have a lot of promising centers

HockeyRulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 10:30 PM
  #34
hockeydude1
More Cowbell!
 
hockeydude1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,904
vCash: 500
No sense bringing in another Center. He won't be much help for us unless he could somehow play with Barkov.

hockeydude1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 11:02 PM
  #35
Pantherfan12
Registered User
 
Pantherfan12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sunrise,Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 1,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut27 View Post
I'm not even disagreeing with that logic. It seems unlikely he'd end up back here for a variety of reasons.

But who fills that need, then? Of the current FA pool, I'll take OJ for a year or two on a not outrageous cap hit over the other options (if managment will ask him and if he will come, and as you say, those are a big couple of if's).

Or is there an honest belief that our current C's are rock solid from 1 - 4 and if there are slumps/injuries/demotions that other current players would be preferable to an OJ?

And the 'rather spend the money elsewhere' thing only works if there's some evidence we'll get anywhere close to the cap this year or next. I don't think our rep among FA's has changed all that much just yet. We have to spend 30 to get to the cieling this year and 30 just to get to the floor the next season. And it'll probably go up, too.

I guess if you want to argue that there is no evidence that Viola has actually given DT the green light to spend to the cap then maybe I'd accept that as a reasonable caveat, as well.

So I guess what I am saying is, despite all these compelling counter-counter arguments, if OJ is on the menu, pour me a glass.

No evidence of Viola giving Tallon the green light? What do you call Thomas,Gilbert,Boyes, and then Luongo?? That's a bunch of money locked up in those players, especially Lu. If you ask me, that's enough evidence.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 01:11 AM
  #36
ucanthanzalthetruth
Panthers Postseason?
 
ucanthanzalthetruth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,689
vCash: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
No evidence of Viola giving Tallon the green light? What do you call Thomas,Gilbert,Boyes, and then Luongo?? That's a bunch of money locked up in those players, especially Lu. If you ask me, that's enough evidence.
Bolded were signed before Viola took over. Luongo's term is awful, but with the cap's major increase and Van paying 15%, the money can't be beat. Boyes signed to a really reasonable extension. Florida is currently 15 million under the cap floor, they will probably just get above it, I can't see where 40 million is going to be spent this off season.

ucanthanzalthetruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 12:20 PM
  #37
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
Mogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 11,178
vCash: 814
Hell no! Komarov on the other hand would be ideal 3rd liner for this team. Hits, agitator and good for 10-15 goals

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 01:03 PM
  #38
PanthersAllDay1225
MORDE-KULI
 
PanthersAllDay1225's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanthanzalthetruth View Post
Bolded were signed before Viola took over. Luongo's term is awful, but with the cap's major increase and Van paying 15%, the money can't be beat. Boyes signed to a really reasonable extension. Florida is currently 15 million under the cap floor, they will probably just get above it, I can't see where 40 million is going to be spent this off season.
yes but they were brought in BECAUSE Viola was coming. Hence why they were all down in those last 2 weeks before the season started.

PanthersAllDay1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 01:14 PM
  #39
Big Bjugs
Amat Victoria Curam
 
Big Bjugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Armstrong, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut27 View Post
I'm not even disagreeing with that logic. It seems unlikely he'd end up back here for a variety of reasons.

But who fills that need, then? Of the current FA pool, I'll take OJ for a year or two on a not outrageous cap hit over the other options (if managment will ask him and if he will come, and as you say, those are a big couple of if's).

Or is there an honest belief that our current C's are rock solid from 1 - 4 and if there are slumps/injuries/demotions that other current players would be preferable to an OJ?

And the 'rather spend the money elsewhere' thing only works if there's some evidence we'll get anywhere close to the cap this year or next. I don't think our rep among FA's has changed all that much just yet. We have to spend 30 to get to the cieling this year and 30 just to get to the floor the next season. And it'll probably go up, too.

I guess if you want to argue that there is no evidence that Viola has actually given DT the green light to spend to the cap then maybe I'd accept that as a reasonable caveat, as well.

So I guess what I am saying is, despite all these compelling counter-counter arguments, if OJ is on the menu, pour me a glass.
We don't have to rely on just scrubs in the UFA market. We can go about scoring wingers via trade.

The belief is not that we are happy with our centers from 1-4. The question you need to ask yourself is, will OJ sign knowing he will be behind Barkov and Bjugstad? The answer is no.

We have no need for OJ. However I would go for a guy like Ott or Brian Boyle for our 4th line C.

Big Bjugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 01:55 PM
  #40
spacemanatee
RVIDXR KLVN
 
spacemanatee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,746
vCash: 500
yeah we needs to get a lot meaner in all our bottom lines and let every team know that they ain't touching barkov, huby or whoever without paying a price.
toughness is something i think we've been lacking overall the last couple of seasons even tho we have had one or perhaps two pretty though guys in our team i think we needs to get alot tougher.
as "TheFlame" said, i'd like it if we got a guy like boyle, stewart or someone like that. we're pretty soft right now and that's something that bothers me cuz we need players who protect our players, especially the young guys.
in the future some of our prospects and young guns will be playing tougher but right now they're not exept for mabye guddy. i'm not talking bout going into the corners or in front of the net i mean after the whistle blow and the shoving game is on u know?

spacemanatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 02:45 PM
  #41
JP Mick
Two Gallants
 
JP Mick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 5,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFame View Post
We don't have to rely on just scrubs in the UFA market. We can go about scoring wingers via trade.

The belief is not that we are happy with our centers from 1-4. The question you need to ask yourself is, will OJ sign knowing he will be behind Barkov and Bjugstad? The answer is no.

We have no need for OJ. However I would go for a guy like Ott or Brian Boyle for our 4th line C.
I was just thinking about trying to get Brian Boyle for our 4C spot.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 03:07 PM
  #42
FinlandPanther
Registered User
 
FinlandPanther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dania Florida
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Hell no! Komarov on the other hand would be ideal 3rd liner for this team. Hits, agitator and good for 10-15 goals
Exactly. Guy is such a pest for other teams to play against and has skill too.

FinlandPanther is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 03:14 PM
  #43
SoupyFIN
Moderator
#character
 
SoupyFIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Finland
Posts: 24,562
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Hell no! Komarov on the other hand would be ideal 3rd liner for this team. Hits, agitator and good for 10-15 goals
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandPanther View Post
Exactly. Guy is such a pest for other teams to play against and has skill too.
No, just no. Nothing against Komarov, I actually love him as a player, but we have enough bottom6 forwards already and let's face it, no one is there to protect him when the eventual ****storm Komarov causes happens. He had at least one of Orr, McLaren or Brown protecting him in Toronto, more than often two of those. Who knows if this team even has an enforcer next year.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 03:21 PM
  #44
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
Mogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Finland
Posts: 11,178
vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
No, just no. Nothing against Komarov, I actually love him as a player, but we have enough bottom6 forwards already and let's face it, no one is there to protect him when the eventual ****storm Komarov causes happens. He had at least one of Orr, McLaren or Brown protecting him in Toronto, more than often two of those. Who knows if this team even has an enforcer next year.
Enforcers are dead in NHL. The closest we'll have to that is Gudbranson / Petrovic

Maybe Barch sticks around? Komarov is better than our 3rd liners

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 04:04 PM
  #45
ucanthanzalthetruth
Panthers Postseason?
 
ucanthanzalthetruth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,689
vCash: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersAllDay1225 View Post
yes but they were brought in BECAUSE Viola was coming. Hence why they were all down in those last 2 weeks before the season started.
I could be completely wrong but I could have sworn Gilbert and Boyes were brought in well before the team was sold.

ucanthanzalthetruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 07:37 PM
  #46
FinlandPanther
Registered User
 
FinlandPanther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dania Florida
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Enforcers are dead in NHL. The closest we'll have to that is Gudbranson / Petrovic

Maybe Barch sticks around? Komarov is better than our 3rd liners
Agreed again. Komarov is better than all our bottom sixers in my opinion.

FinlandPanther is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 08:12 PM
  #47
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,300
vCash: 500
Enforcers are not dead in the NHL, hoping Barch stays.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 09:10 PM
  #48
AaronEkbald
Registered User
 
AaronEkbald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 5,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Enforcers are not dead in the NHL, hoping Barch stays.
Enforcers didn't die. The job description just changed a little.

AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 09:19 PM
  #49
EnforceTheLaus
Bjugerdeau
 
EnforceTheLaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Enforcers are not dead in the NHL, hoping Barch stays.
Agree. Though guys like Parros, Scott, Orr are outdated. You need them to take regular shifts nowadays.

EnforceTheLaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 10:14 PM
  #50
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnforceTheLaus View Post
Agree. Though guys like Parros, Scott, Orr are outdated. You need them to take regular shifts nowadays.
I don't care for any of those guys anymore, other than maybe Orr. I'm more than fine with enforcers having to be players who can keep up with the play. That's why I loved Laus so much. Barch isn't the most effective enforcer, but I like what he brings, he knows his job, and keeps up with the play.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.