HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal will not sign Vanek

Old
06-13-2014, 11:02 AM
JLP
Refugee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Now which one between Andrighetto and DLR will take his spot on the big team?
Andrighetto because he's 5'9"

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 11:12 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! BOOOOO!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTricK09 View Post
Shame, for all the hype when we got him, he turned out to be a no show in playoff.
His talent would have helped us greatly on making our top 6 solid for years

I still wish that we'd resign him and that this year's playoff was just a fluke for him, oh well...
He still put up 10 points in 17 games in the playoffs. That's not amazing, but it's not a "no show." Vanek played fine. The entire offense didn't show up against the Rangers, and people seem to think Vanek is to blame for this.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 11:16 AM
LastChancePrice

Well at least this trade made us go to the 3rd round.It was well worth it.People will start crying that we lost Collberg and 2nd round,but they all freakin out when the trade happen that we "steal" the Islanders.

LastChancePrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 11:18 AM
WhiskeySeven
BargainUnbinned

vCash: 300
This fanbase is acting like a bunch of never-hads.

Turning your nose up at a guaranteed 70pt player who happened to have a real bad stretch of ~5-10 games. Fantastic logic there.

Who are we going to supplement him with? Galchenyuk at wing? Gionta? Andrighetto? Weise? Leblanc?

What about Patches, who was just as bad? Or Desharnais? Or Plekanec? Or Gionta (heart so big it affects his shot)?

This playoff run created such an obnoxious attitude here - and it's all directed singularly at Vanek for some god unknown reason. As if he can't possibly somehow IMPROVE next year. As if his bad stretch of games is indicative of his heart and his love for the game.

I'm taking a break from here - reason doesn't prevail some times.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 11:19 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! BOOOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post

Turning your nose up at a guaranteed 70pt player who happened to have a real bad stretch of ~5-10 games. Fantastic logic there.

Who are we going to supplement him with? Galchenyuk at wing? Gionta? Andrighetto? Weise? Leblanc?

What about Patches, who was just as bad? Or Desharnais? Or Plekanec? Or Gionta (heart so big it affects his shot)?

This playoff run created such an obnoxious attitude here - and it's all directed singularly at Vanek for some god unknown reason. As if he can't possibly somehow IMPROVE next year. As if his bad stretch of games is indicative of his heart and his love for the game.

I echo everything he said. Except for taking a break from here. I wouldn't dare. <3

Old
06-13-2014, 11:20 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastChancePrice View Post
Well at least this trade made us go to the 3rd round.It was well worth it.People will start crying that we lost Collberg and 2nd round,but they all freakin out when the trade happen that we "steal" the Islanders.
I was very happy at the time of the trade and still am today. Don't really care about the pick and Collberg. But I think it's pretty clear we don't mesh and he will be moving on.

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 11:20 AM
JLP
Refugee

If true, too bad. Vanek has been elite over his career but many people prefer to judge him on a couple of dozen games. He was not the problem with out offense.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 11:23 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
If true, too bad. Vanek has been elite over his career but many people prefer to judge him on a couple of dozen games. He was not the problem with out offense.
Yup but people can't see that. Look at Iginla this year in Boston, Bylsma had a hard head and let him play on the wrong side and he never produced or even looked comfortable in Pittsburgh. And the following next, Bylsma gets axed!

Old
06-13-2014, 11:28 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Bergevin to HfBoards: "you're going to thank me one day".

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 11:28 AM
WhiskeySeven
BargainUnbinned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Playing on his off-wing for a long stretch, with a non-passer in Pacioretty and a definitive smurf in Desharnais - just as he's finding a rhythm they're broken up and he's shoved alongside the offensive black-hole that is Plekanec-Gionta in the playoffs and suddenly he's a gutless puke of a man who doesn't deserve to wear the jersey.

Until you have a surplus of talent, you don't trade talent. You can always find hardworking plugs like ****ing Weise and Prust and Moen and Weaver and yes GIONTA.

Talent is to be nurtured and guided and accommodated, like what they're doing with Desharnais and only Desharnais it seems.

I'm not mad so much as I'm deflated and disappointed in the shortsighted, limp-dicked what-have-you-done-for-me-lately attitude here. Be reasonable for ****s sake.

Old
06-13-2014, 11:29 AM
Simarino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
He still put up 10 points in 17 games in the playoffs. That's not amazing, but it's not a "no show." Vanek played fine. The entire offense didn't show up against the Rangers, and people seem to think Vanek is to blame for this.
Vanek stats were mediocre and is effort level was atrocious!!

Simarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 11:36 AM
WhiskeySeven
BargainUnbinned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyhabs View Post
Vanek stats were mediocre and is effort level was atrocious!!
Can he not improve? Would he not fit in better at this time next year?

And even if he absolutely sucks, we can trade him for a ransom. He won't have bad value, he's still a great regular season player.

Old
06-13-2014, 11:39 AM
BigHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
All I get out of this when I read it is there is a chance Bouillon could be back.

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 11:45 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! BOOOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHabs View Post
All I get out of this when I read it is there is a chance Bouillon could be back.
I saw that too. Yyyeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaah.............................. ...........

Old
06-13-2014, 11:53 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Therrien's dream summer. Bring Gionta and Bouillon back!!

Old
06-13-2014, 11:54 AM
sandysan

Quote:

And even if he absolutely sucks, we can trade him for a ransom. He won't have bad value, he's still a great regular season player.
could he get better, sure. but guys playing up to their "last" big contract generally want to raise their game to get paid. He did not and what is unforgivable was his complete lack of effort.

Vanek is a great player, if we could resign him for say 4 years I'd consider it. but he's not going to sign anywhere for 4 years, some team is going to sign him for 6-7 at somewhere near 7M. I suspect that a NTC will at least be considered. That's just too much to risk for a guy who claims to want to go to a winning team and is traded from two bottom dweller teams to not only a playoff team but a team that was in the ECF where he completely disappeared.

Seriously if a guy cant get up for a chance to actually play for the cup, the west coast swings in december you think he shows up ? Why ?

the team might not be as good short term without vanek, but long term the benefit just does not outweigh the risk. If the desire for players with "character" isnt just smoke and mirrors, he's not a good fit here.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 11:56 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

The fear with Vanek is the compete level. This player signed a big contract already, he's made his money and has the security. He's out of condition. He goofed off at the Olympics. He disappeared in the playoffs.

This isn't about one stretch of 5 games, it's a pattern that appears like a guy whose preparing for semi-retirement.

I don't believe the kings ransom comment. Albatross contracts are poison, and with the NMC that Vanek will demand it will be tough to match him to a team. He has the potential to be Gomez 2.0.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 11:59 AM
Habster33
In Habs we trust!

@renlavoietva - Jun 11 - Marc Bergevin refuse de parler contrat, mais + sources disent que le CH ne fera pas d'offre Thomas Vanek, Douglas Murray et George Parros

Vanek, Parros and Murray aren't getting any offers from Montreal

Habster33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 12:01 PM
MD thaivuN
Anime Music Hipster

vCash: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
He has the potential to be Gomez 2.0.
Is that bad? You can sign Vanek 7-8 year, then 2 years later you can trade him for a young stud defensemen, just like the rangers did with Gomez.

MD thaivuN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 12:06 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Well, I don't see how anybody could really defend his playoff. I mean, he got a few points where he wasn't exactly the primary generator, but it's really the complete soft-touching everything, the floating, the giveaways, the lack of second effort, etc, all that stuff really stood out in the playoffs. Some will say that is just the way he normally plays. But no, I think it was more of an exaggeration, a caricature of the way he normally plays. It was nowhere near as evident in the regular season, especially once he was on a tear on the top line. It's why we all thought he must be hurt, only to learn that no, he wasn't.

All that said, disappointing playoff aside, I think he's still a proven commodity in his scoring role in the NHL. And the Habs need another scoring winger pretty badly. They don't grow on trees, and many of them have greater or lesser collections of the same warts that Vanek has. I'd still have offered him a contract.

Well, I guess in real life you don't bother going through the motions of formally offering a contract if the player tells you bluntly in the exit interviews that he's going to test the market no matter what.

But from the fan perspective, I'd still want Vanek on the team, at the right price/term, and knowing that I probably couldn't rely on him when the going gets tough in the playoffs. Even with that, I'd take him on the team, for sure. I don't have faith that the Habs are going to find anybody else to get those goals instead.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 12:13 PM
SouthernHab
Summer Grilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Now which one between Andrighetto and DLR will take his spot on the big team?
Andrighetto for sure.

We need more forwards under 5'10" playing for the Habs.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 12:15 PM
SouthernHab
Summer Grilling

Quote:

solid post

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 12:41 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Good point. I hadn't interpreted it that way upon first read, but if you think about it:

I sincerely hope he wasn't mentioned because it's so obviously assumed that he's not coming back. In fact, I'd keep him in mind for a coach's role. I'd offer it to him now. Might be a subtle way for Therrien to break the news.

"Hey Francis... I really want you to join my staff."
"Great, thanks coach.... wait.... does this mean??"

Tim Wallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 01:11 PM
Bacchus1

I wouldn't sign Vanek either. He lacked commit in these playoffs. If he really wanted to be here he would have committed on the ice. We need someone with his skill set, for sure, but we also need someone to buy in to being the best they can be for this team. We gave him his interview, and he coasted. Coast in Vanek, coast on!

Bacchus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 01:34 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habster33 View Post
@renlavoietva - Jun 11 - Marc Bergevin refuse de parler contrat, mais + sources disent que le CH ne fera pas d'offre Thomas Vanek, Douglas Murray et George Parros

Vanek, Parros and Murray aren't getting any offers from Montreal
vanek will find a home, but it might be the end of the road for the other two.

Even though neither murray nor parros were unanimously loved on these boards, I appreciate what they brought when the got ice time.

I just hope we also part ways with cube but I having a nagging feeling that ship has not, and will not sail before next year.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote