HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Congrats to LA Kings!

Old
06-14-2014, 12:39 AM

vCash: 500
Imagine being in Martinez's shoes right now. Holy ****.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 12:41 AM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Imagine being in Martinez's shoes right now. Holy ****.
I don't think he'll be wearing shoes much longer tonight.. If you know what I'm saying

99GoHabsGo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 12:48 AM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

vCash: 4415
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GoHabsGo99 View Post
I don't think he'll be wearing shoes much longer tonight.. If you know what I'm saying
King schwing.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 02:27 AM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

vCash: 4415

Pete Blackburn ‏@PeteBlackburn 38s
The woman who fell on the ice is @hannahhunsinger, who - ironically - is a member of the Kings Ice Crew.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 07:36 AM
HeShootsHeScores

They are the true champions. Every player was awesome. What a team. No slow *****, no lazy "stars", tape to tape passes, perfect puck protection. They create their own opportunities. No way the habs could've win the cup vs this perfect team.

HeShootsHeScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 07:42 AM
HeShootsHeScores

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GoHabsGo99 View Post
When you feel goosebumps when that trophy is lifted even if it isn't your favorite team, from that moment on you know you're a true hockey fan.
Feeling the same. I actually wonder how my body would withstand the habs putting a OT sc winning goal like this. I'd probably scream and run around the room to let it all out, then I would shake a little in disbelief. Like a happy panic attack.

HeShootsHeScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 08:21 AM
bigtimehockeyfan999*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Bergevin.........repeat this over and over and over until it sinks in.

Size and skill, size and skill, size and skill.

That's how you win a Cup.

we have and are continuing to add size and skill.....we also need speed, and hockey sense and character and a boat load of other things....all these things make balance......and when we have the best balance...we will win. right now we do not.

bigtimehockeyfan999* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 08:38 AM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Style Points View Post
such an impressive team. I asked before but didn't receive an answer... what is the Kings' weakness? I don't even know.
Yeah, that's what struck me all series. When they are playing their game, firing on all cylinders... they've got no weaknesses to exploit. Their D are mobile and move the puck quickly, their breakouts are fast and structured, their forecheck relentless, their offense is deep, and they are physical without being dirty.

Essentially, if they don't beat themselves, you have to play a damn near perfect game to beat them, or have your goalie steal it.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 08:58 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dont Poke Subban View Post
The Kingslayer!

"What's your name?"

"My fans call me...Hen-REEEEK..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimehockeyfan999 View Post

we have and are continuing to add size and skill.....we also need speed, and hockey sense and character and a boat load of other things....all these things make balance......and when we have the best balance...we will win. right now we do not.
Agree. It's just going to take time and if we give Bergevin the time we gave Gainey, I strongly think we will see a big turnaround in this organization's struggles.

But man are the Kings ever awesome. Every player is a menace.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 09:10 AM
Habsfan18

Still the most random item I own, from my THN collection.

06-14-2014, 09:48 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Mad jelly of this team.

Size, skill, speed and toughness.

Fuark, so jelly!!!!!!!

Hannibal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 10:18 AM
OpenIceHit

vCash: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Bergevin.........repeat this over and over and over until it sinks in.

Size and skill, size and skill, size and skill.

That's how you win a Cup.
But but but but ... according to many habs fans on these boards, a team with a lot of hits only mean that this team doesn't have puck possession...

OpenIceHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 10:18 AM
Habs13

Glad for the Kings! They deserved to win. Glad Quick wasn't injured. Glad New York didn't win. Still hate Williams.

Well done LA!

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 10:41 AM
habsterr

Man I love LA play style, speed, grit and passion. You never see them giving up on the play and when they don't have the puck they make the other team regret having it.

habsterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 11:06 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

This is the best team to win the cup in the past 10 years. I'm including the 2012 win in this. This year was more difficult because Quick wasn't nearly as dominant, and the kings faced a much higher level of competition. You saw what happened when the competition was not as strong (NYR), they got pretty much destroyed 4-1. Even if the score was close, I never ever felt like the rangers had any chance at all of winning. The rangers are dead, long live the kings.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 11:32 AM
Kass Attack
Formerly HiggsBozon

Find me one Andighetto, one Reway, one Hudon, one Lehkonen, one Collberg in the Kings lineup. Find one. I dare you to ****ing tell me about a single one.

That's right. There are none. Players on this lineup are all guys who ooze character, and it shows on the ice.

Where are the guys who were making ironic comments about size after 10 minutes of the 1st period in game 1, when the Rangers took the lead 2-0?

That's all what speed and quickness does against character, size, and skill. It allows you to lead the series 10 minutes into game 1. Speed, quickness... both are important. But size is just as important. Skill is just as important. And character is just as important too.

In the series against the Rangers, we had guys who were dead tired. Gionta. Plekanec. Gorges. All this so-called leadernship group couldn't follow the pace of the game anymore. This is where we lost.

People are blaming Therrien for wanting his players to play a grinding, meat and potatoes game. Reality is, whenever fancy play and speed stops working, you have to be able to play a game like this. Or else, you're cooked. And frankly, if some players are too dead tired after 11 games of playoffs hockey, the problem's not on the coach. It's on the ****ing players.

The Kings have Mike Richards and Justin Williams. We have Tomas Plekanec and Brian GIonta as comparables, as two-way veteran players who should take the lead. Who the hell do you pick?

The Kings have a formidable team. And I'm convinced we should take a page or two from their book. Not only on how to win on the ice, but also on how trading some "promising youth" to define the character of your team shouldn't be overlooked.

Kass Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 11:33 AM
Kass Attack
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsterr View Post
Man I love LA play style, speed, grit and passion. You never see them giving up on the play and when they don't have the puck they make the other team regret having it.
It's too bad our players were too tired to play like this. Silly Therrien. Thinking an NHL team should be able to sustain this pace for a complete playoffs season

Old
06-14-2014, 11:35 AM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Find me one Andighetto, one Reway, one Hudon, one Lehkonen, one Collberg in the Kings lineup. Find one. I dare you to ****ing tell me about a single one.

That's right. There are none. Players on this lineup are all guys who ooze character, and it shows on the ice.

Where are the guys who were making ironic comments about size after 10 minutes of the 1st period in game 1, when the Rangers took the lead 2-0?

That's all what speed and quickness does against character, size, and skill. It allows you to lead the series 10 minutes into game 1. Speed, quickness... both are important. But size is just as important. Skill is just as important. And character is just as important too.

In the series against the Rangers, we had guys who were dead tired. Gionta. Plekanec. Gorges. All this so-called leadernship group couldn't follow the pace of the game anymore. This is where we lost.

People are blaming Therrien for wanting his players to play a grinding, meat and potatoes game. Reality is, whenever fancy play and speed stops working, you have to be able to play a game like this. Or else, you're cooked. And frankly, if some players are too dead tired after 11 games of playoffs hockey, the problem's not on the coach. It's on the ****ing players.

The Kings have Mike Richards and Justin Williams. We have Tomas Plekanec and Brian GIonta as comparables, as two-way veteran players who should take the lead. Who the hell do you pick?

The Kings have a formidable team. And I'm convinced we should take a page or two from their book. Not only on how to win on the ice, but also on how trading some "promising youth" to define the character of your team shouldn't be overlooked.
Chicago won the cup with some smaller players. So did bruins.

I wonder why you're sticking to the LA Kings model, though.

Kings were going to win because they're the far better possession team. It isn't even close.

And you understand that the plan isn't very likely to be playing more than one or two of those in the lineup at the same time, right? You get value where you can and trade it for what you need/want. Hockey 101.

And how much have you watched any of those players to say they won't ooze character just as much kings players?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 11:38 AM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
It's too bad our players were too tired to play like this. Silly Therrien. Thinking an NHL team should be able to sustain this pace for a complete playoffs season
Therrien was the #1 culprit in getting beat by the Rangers. Vigneault had his way with him most of the series.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 11:42 AM
Kass Attack
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Chicago won the cup with some smaller players. So did bruins.

I wonder why you're sticking to the LA Kings model, though.

Kings were going to win because they're the far better possession team. It isn't even close.

And you understand that the plan isn't very likely to be playing more than one or two of those in the lineup at the same time, right? You get value where you can and trade it for what you need/want. Hockey 101.

And how much have you watched any of those players to say they won't ooze character just as much kings players?
Tell me about one Lehkonen, Reway, Andrighetto, Collberg or Hudon in the Hawks lineup. Feel free to come up with anything.

Tell me about who you'd rather have; Richards and Williams, or Plekanec and Gionta?

The Kings are as close to being a dynasty as you can be in the new era. I guess it's better to follow the Rangers model, eh?

You guys can keep complaining about how Therrien asked his guys to play a meat and potato kind of hockey... And keep telling yourself the Kings' dominance in the corners has nothing to do with their possession time.

Old
06-14-2014, 11:45 AM
Kass Attack
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:
Therrien was the #1 culprit in getting beat by the Rangers. Vigneault had his way with him most of the series.
The reason why we lost against the Rangers is because we tried to beat them at their own game. We tried to be quicker than them. It's as stupid as trying to be more physical than the Bruins. We played right into their hands, thinking we could play the Rangers like we played the Bruins, and it failed miserably.

Of course, on this board, speed is the only factor for success. So nobody talked about that much. Fact is, when Prust got suspended, and Beaulieu got put out of the lineup, we had to put Tinordi and Moen instead. The recipe for success against NY was slowing them down. Not trying to skate with them.

Old
06-14-2014, 11:45 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Always easy to blame coach.

Too easy.

Last edited by Hannibal: 06-14-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Hannibal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 11:59 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
Yeah, that's what struck me all series. When they are playing their game, firing on all cylinders... they've got no weaknesses to exploit. Their D are mobile and move the puck quickly, their breakouts are fast and structured, their forecheck relentless, their offense is deep, and they are physical without being dirty.

Essentially, if they don't beat themselves, you have to play a damn near perfect game to beat them, or have your goalie steal it.
Did the Kings even have any injuries?

Quick
Doughty
Kopitar
Carter

Could they have beaten San Jose with 1 or 2 of these guys out?

A great team, no doubt about it...

but fortune does shine on them.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 11:59 AM
DoctorPurple

Quote:
The reason why we lost against the Rangers is because we tried to beat them at their own game. We tried to be quicker than them. It's as stupid as trying to be more physical than the Bruins. We played right into their hands, thinking we could play the Rangers like we played the Bruins, and it failed miserably.

Of course, on this board, speed is the only factor for success. So nobody talked about that much. Fact is, when Prust got suspended, and Beaulieu got put out of the lineup, we had to put Tinordi and Moen instead. The recipe for success against NY was slowing them down. Not trying to skate with them.
I don't know, we did beat the bruins by being the faster team. Can't blame the habs for trying to keep up with a model that worked in the previous series.

I do agree that Therrien probably got outcoached by Vigneault ; game 6 is pretty indicative of that. I mean, we did go from scoring 7 goals to scoring none.

Another factor in the game 6 loss must have to do with leadership. The effort was not there ; maybe it is time for Plekanec and Gionta to go...!

The Kings model is one to follow. Bergevin, get down to work!

DoctorPurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 12:39 PM
BLONG7

Congrats to the Kings!! Size, Speed, Skill, great coaching...the list goes on and on......I was amazed they came back from 0-3 vs the Sharks, I really thought the Sharks would win that series...but LA had am amazing playoffs!!

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote