HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Congrats to LA Kings!

Old
06-14-2014, 12:43 PM
gusfring

vCash: 500
Can we say the deadline pickup of Gaborik was important?

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 12:47 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Can we say the deadline pickup of Gaborik was important?
Deadline pickups are extremely important. Vanek would have been important if he would have been the Vanek of the regular season. Boston wasn't able to go as far as they wanted because they didn't pick up a real vet on D that could help. Teams that could address a weakness are often on the right end of things. Of course....there's only one team who wins.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 12:59 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Kings are just that great mix between talent, size, and goalkeeping. That's what we need to build. We have the goalkeeping. We can work some size and toughness especially on the top 6. And we CLEARLY have to upgrade our talent level.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Andy

Lol the classic "you need to follow the model of the most recent Stanley cup team" argument.

When Pittsburgh won it was "you need to tank and get top picks and generational talent."
When the wings won it was you "you need to let your youth develop in the minors as long as possible."
When Chicago won it was "You need high end skill and speed."
When Boston won it was "You need toughness."
Now that LA won it's "you need size."

There is no one need. To win, you have to have a good mix of everything while having a deep team. Not many teams around the league have enough depth to be able to play Richards in a secondary/tertiary role. Same thing goes for the Hawks, who were a goal away from repeating.

Habs just need to keep filling their roster with talented players who can play in multiple situations. Let's face it, guys like Weise, Moen, Murray, Boullion, Desharnais, Briere, Bourque, Gionta and Emelin, who all held important positions with the Canadiens this past season, would have much difficulty cracking LA's and Chicago's lineup. That's how deep both teams are. Hell, same goes for the Sharks and Ducks.

Also let's not forget the impact of coaching. As Sutter said last night, when he got there mid-season, the Kings were a 12th place team with much of the same roster.

Last edited by Andy: 06-14-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 01:28 PM
habsfanatics*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Lol classic "you need to follow the model of the most recent Stanley cup team."

When Pittsburgh won it was "you need to tank and get top picks and generation talent."
When the wings won it was you "you need to let your youth develop in the minors as long as possible."
When Chicago won it was "You need high end skill and speed."
When Boston won it was "You need toughness."
Now that LA won it's "you need size."

There is no one need. To win, you have to have a good mix of everything while having a deep team. Not many teams around the league have enough depth to be able to play Richards in a secondary/tertiary role. Same thing goes for the Hawks who were a goal away from repeating.

Habs just need to keep filling their roster with talented players who can play in multiple situations. Let's face it, guys like Weise, Moen, Murray, Boullion, Desharnais, Briere, Bourque, Gionta and Emelin who all held important positions with the Canadiens this past season would have much difficulty cracking LA's and Chicago's lineup. That's how deep both teams are. Hell, same goes for the Sharks and Ducks.

Also let's not forget the impact of coaching. As Sutter said last nightt, when he got there mid-season the Kings were a 12th place team with much of the same roster.
Agreed, it's hilarious. Kings are a great team, size is a small part of it. They're players are just good.

habsfanatics* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 01:45 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Am I the only one who wouldn't have given the smythe to Williams? He scored a lot, but Kopitar was an absolute two way beast the entire playoffs. If you have a gun to my head telling me to take one of those guys off my team, I remove Williams.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 01:54 PM
TopJet
welcome to winnipeg

vCash: 595
Good job LA.

TopJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 05:20 PM
hf27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habalier View Post
Good job LA.
yes. nice playoff run by the Kings.

hf27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 08:15 PM
TheRooster

Congrats to LA!

Very clutch team this year. Always kept their compusure and focused on what was ahead.

Well deserved!

TheRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 09:13 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
SHows you how important it is to be dominant along the boards.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 11:12 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
SHows you how important it is to be dominant along the boards.
Yep, that's how you dictate possession today.... And that's why eller is an important piece, never mind the debate of whether he is a top 2 centre or not.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 11:26 PM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

vCash: 4092
Lol the classic "you can win without size" argument.

Funny how you need a good mix of everything while having a deep team, but it's an embarassment to admit we're undersized.

Reality is we would have been crushed had the Habs been facing the Kings instead of the Rags. And from what we're seeing, the Kings are primed for more playoff damage. Let's ignore the facts cause you know how it goes on HF, if you are addressing the size issue in any manner, it must be cause you're a neanderthal and how can you possibly add size without sacrificing talent.

Runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 11:39 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Still...I wonder if for Los Angeles residents, their ice-hockey team winning the Cup isn't something like us having the Allouettes winning the Grey Cup, you know. Like we're happy and the Alls are like a Dynasty but it's not really taken seriously as if the Habs would win the SC.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 05:19 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Still...I wonder if for Los Angeles residents, their ice-hockey team winning the Cup isn't something like us having the Allouettes winning the Grey Cup, you know. Like we're happy and the Alls are like a Dynasty but it's not really taken seriously as if the Habs would win the SC.
Montreal is a 3 team city, until recently, it was a two team city.

LA has the clippers, lakers, dodgers, galaxy... and if you include the suburbs, you can add in the angels, and ducks.... not to mention the college sports.

Its very easy to get lost in that shuffle, especially when hockey is not rooted in the city's culture. I can pretty much say with certainty that the stanley cup victory does not mean as much to that city as it would to the habs, save for the diehard segment of kings fans.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 07:05 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Not to beat a dead horse.........but..........

The Habs will not win a Cup unless there is a change in the philosophy of our coaching staff or a change in the coaching staff.

The Kings play a very structured system of hockey. They are very patient with the puck and they rely on short accurate passes.

All one has to do is look at how much trouble the Habs had against the Rags with regard to moving the puck our of our zone with possession and then compare that to the ease that the Kings had when moving the puck out of their zone.

Its all about coaching.
False attribution. Let the Habs mature, the core is still young and just like Bergevin says it is not established like the core of the Kings. Small passes and apparent structure is often the sign of experienced players sticking with the system. We had trouble vs the Rags, because while less talented they played their system with experience.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 09:56 AM
apadilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Style Points View Post
such an impressive team. I asked before but didn't receive an answer... what is the Kings' weakness? I don't even know.

their forecheck looked absolutely relentless all game. through 5 periods. their were driven by a system and a team mentality, it's obvious. Rangers put up a great fight, sadly the Habs would have folded all too easily under all that pressure.

congrats!
Opposing speedy forwards?

Last edited by apadilla: 06-15-2014 at 10:02 AM.
apadilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 11:21 AM
HABSonaroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by pine View Post
**** Williams.

Still haven't forgiven him for high sticking Koivu in 2006.
X2 HABS were winning going away - Koivu could have lost a eye in that vicious high stick - he was a true leader

HABSonaroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 11:25 AM
IceHockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
Lol the classic "you can win without size" argument.

Reality is we would have been crushed had the Habs been facing the Kings instead of the Rags.
I'm tired of this argument. That is a loser's argument. In the NHL playoffs, anything can happen. How do you know for sure that the Habs would have been crushed against the Kings? Everyone said that the Bruins would crush the Habs; it didn't happen. Everyone said that the Kings would crush the Rangers; it didn't happen since the Kings had to win 3 of 4 in overtime.

The Habs' poor performance in Game 6 against the Rangers still leave a bad taste in my mouth. You don't waste an opportunity like this to go to the Stanley Cup finals. With 29 other NHL teams, an opportunity like this might never happen again. Play your best and anything can happen. If the Habs had made it to the finals and then got crushed by the Kings, then you can say that the Habs were crushed by the Kings.

IceHockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 11:33 AM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHockeyfan View Post
I'm tired of this argument. That is a loser's argument.
Meh, it's not an argument but an opinion. There are no loser's arguments, just loser pot-shots. No need for put-downs when making a contrarian point. We can agree to disagree. Enjoy your day.

Old
06-15-2014, 11:35 AM
Sword

Hail to the Kings

Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 11:50 AM
IceHockeyfan

Quote:
Meh, it's not an argument but an opinion. There are no loser's arguments, just loser pot-shots. No need for put-downs when making a contrarian point. We can agree to disagree. Enjoy your day.
I apologize for the "loser's" comment

IceHockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 11:55 AM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHockeyfan View Post
I apologize for the "loser's" comment
Thanks, very kind of you. We're all cheering for the same side, but definitely appreciate that we can't all agree on how to get to the next level. Main thing is, I'd love for us to take another step forward next year -- these playoffs have created a lot of excitement towards that, no question.

Old
06-15-2014, 12:03 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Thanks, very kind of you. We're all cheering for the same side, but definitely appreciate that we can't all agree on how to get to the next level. Main thing is, I'd love for us to take another step forward next year -- these playoffs have created a lot of excitement towards that, no question.
Unless Price puts up another Vezina season or we go back to playing the same way we were in the lockout year, I can't see us having a very good season. I also don't see this management team moving out the players jamming up certain parts of the roster, either.

We'll see, I guess.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2014, 12:10 PM
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Unless Price puts up another Vezina season or we go back to playing the same way we were in the lockout year, I can't see us having a very good season. I also don't see this management team moving out the players jamming up certain parts of the roster, either.

We'll see, I guess.
Good point about Price, he was a mostly dominant force that helped carry the team. Was it a new, sustainable plateau for him or just an all-out unrepeatable performance? A great goalie can help make up for a lot of flaws -- but eventually, your misgivings come back and bite you.

How much will Bergie be tempted to tinker with, if the thinking is that the Habs were only 2 games away from a Cup final series (and doing so while being deprived of their best player)?

Old
06-15-2014, 12:26 PM
Teufelsdreck

What good does congratulating LA do? It doesn't reflect glory on the Habs in any way I can think of.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote