HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Be Slats ...

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2014, 06:20 AM
Vitto79

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboner View Post
I agree with the consensus here except resigning Boyle (unless he doesn't want a raise, which I doubt). It'll be way too much money for a 4th liner, which is just not a smart hockey move in a salary cap era. Can't be sentimental about it. They weren't going to survive when Betts was let go. The 4th line was going to crumble when they didn't resing Prust. And now we're gonna hear similar things about Boyle. But once again, we'll be fine. 4th liners can be found for cheap. The next Brian Boyle is out there. And hopefully, he won't fall down quite as much.
I agree Boyle is going to be overpaid huge. I mean 2.5 prust money huge for a 4th liner

Old
06-14-2014, 06:41 AM
Elevate

Brad absolutely has to be bought out, and the freed up money should go primarily to resigning core parts of the team. Possible trades could be Nash and Staal for a 1C and a more offensive d-man to go alongside Stralman. I'd not be completely opposed to look into maybe Kadri and Gardiner as pickups. Also swap Dorsett for Fast on the fourth line to save some space.

Hagelin / Kadri / St. Louis
Kreider / Stepan / RW
Pouliot / Brassard / Zuccarello
Boyle / Moore / Fast

McDonagh / Girardi
Gardiner / Stralman
Moore / Klein

If Pouliot demands too much he goes, same for J. Moore which could be swapped for Allen.

Last edited by Elevate: 06-14-2014 at 07:33 AM.
Old
06-14-2014, 06:55 AM
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 143
Ranked in order of priority

1: Buyout Richards
2: Resign RFAs (Kreider, Zucc, Brass)
3: Resign Stralman
4: Resign Boyle
5: Resign Moore
6: Resign Pouliot
7: Resign Kreider to a longer term deal instead of a bridge
8: Trade Nash to free up more space
9: Trade Staal to free up space and get value
10: Trade Dorsett to free up space

I would really look into trading Nash to Pittsburgh for a package around Pouliot. Pitt might be one of the few teams willing to pay the price necessary because their past GM was pretty much fired for refusing to get Sid a #1 winger. I don't care if we play him 6 games a year, when we have McDonagh-Girardi and Hank, he doesn't scare me.

Pouliot (aside from everything he'd bring to this team in just a hockey sense, which is a LOT given his elite offensive and PP prowess), would allow us to free up Staal to trade for that #1C (or a RH RW, now that Nash is gone in this hypothetical scenario).

I think trading Nash would be good for our locker room. Not in an addition by subtraction way whatsoever, but based on Kreider's interview when he talked about everyone on the team, he made it sound like Nash is liked, but fairly quiet and reserved. Again, not saying he is cancerous or anything even close, but I think Nash leaving would leave the locker room in a much better place than B. Pouliot, Stralman, and a guy like Boyle/Moore leaving, which is a definite possibility even when Richards is bought out.

Trading Nash (and maybe Staal) would also allow us to give a long-term deal to Kreider, which we saw pay off with McDonagh.

In summary, I'd trade Nash for a package around Pouliot, trade Staal for a C/RW, maybe trade Dorsett to free up space, and give it another go next year.

xx= player from Staal trade

Hagelin-Stepan-xx/Miller
Kreider-Miller/xx-MSL
Pouliot-Brass-Zucc
Boyle-Moore-Fast/Carcillo based on opponent

McDonagh-Girardi
Pouliot-Stralman
Moore-Klein/McIlrath

Hank
Talbot

Not sure who gets what letters, but our captains should be Boyle, Girardi, and McDonagh. I don't want to give MSL a letter for probably two years he has left. Give it to guys who will be here long-term.

This team may not be as good next year as it was this past year if things don't click the right way, but it gives us a TON of flexibility moving forward and makes us a much more balanced team in the long-term, especially if the player we get for Staal is RH, big, and fast.

Old
06-14-2014, 07:13 AM
OrbitalDynamics

vCash: 50
Be Sather? Based on past practice with Sather,I'd expect to see the exact opposite of cohesion and keeping team intact.

You just know he's going to shuffle the deck like he did two years ago.

Old
06-14-2014, 07:32 AM
WeWillWinTonight

My main concerns are keeping zucc and stralman then ditching Richards

Old
06-14-2014, 07:32 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalDynamics View Post
Be Sather? Based on past practice with Sather,I'd expect to see the exact opposite of cohesion and keeping team intact.

You just know he's going to shuffle the deck like he did two years ago.
To be fair, he has it stacked against him to try to keep this team completely intact. One, for the fact is that this team is not good enough currently constructed. Two, outside pressures form other teams to poach players.

He was going to be in a tight spot this offseason irregardless what happened in the playoffs.. Now, thats been compounded.

Old
06-14-2014, 07:48 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
I don't get the Stastny love. I'd rather see what we have in Miller while waiting for a better option to appear. Seriously, at this point we should be doing everything in our power to make sure we have room to potentially add Stamkos should he hit free agency.
I am more than willing to live with growing pains from Miller if it allows the Rangers to keep Boyle. Moore and Stralman, and ensuring that Kreider. Zucc and Brassard are kept under wraps for the foreseeable future.

Amnestying Richards is obvious. As unproductive as Nash was in the playoffs, (as opposed to poor, which he was not), you still need regular season scoring, which provides. If a team bowls you offer for him, fine, but I don't foresee that happening.

As much as it pains me to say this, I think the Rangers need to seriously investigate moving Staal. Unfortunately, Skjei is not likely ready to step right in, but, I do not believe you can commit the type of long-term money to Staal that it will likely cost to keep. It is already obvious he will not ever consistently be the player he we before his injuries. Get value for him.

Also, let Gorton fully take the reins.

Oh, and the only center on the market that has my interest is Spezza. I pass on everything else people have suggested.

Old
06-14-2014, 08:04 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
What would your outline plan be for the offseason be? Let's hear it ...
Retire

Old
06-14-2014, 08:08 AM
EuroFlair
Nash 40g in 2014-15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I am more than willing to live with growing pains from Miller if it allows the Rangers to keep Boyle. Moore and Stralman, and ensuring that Kreider. Zucc and Brassard are kept under wraps for the foreseeable future.

Amnestying Richards is obvious. As unproductive as Nash was in the playoffs, (as opposed to poor, which he was not), you still need regular season scoring, which provides. If a team bowls you offer for him, fine, but I don't foresee that happening.

As much as it pains me to say this, I think the Rangers need to seriously investigate moving Staal. Unfortunately, Skjei is not likely ready to step right in, but, I do not believe you can commit the type of long-term money to Staal that it will likely cost to keep. It is already obvious he will not ever consistently be the player he we before his injuries. Get value for him.

Oh, and the only center on the market that has my interest is Spezza. I pass on everything else people have suggested.
I agree with pretty much everything you say here, but Skjei can just continue his path in college when Allen is higher on the depth chart. And for Spezza his like the guy we lack but do I want to give up some major assets for him being a UFA next summer? No go for people who will be a part in the future for us. Let some other pay Spezzas last contract we have been there before and it just doesn't work.

Old
06-14-2014, 08:10 AM
eco's bones

You have to be careful not to do too much.

Richards is not going to be a factor in the team winning a championship. That became more and more evident as the playoffs went on. His contract is toxic. He absolutely should be amnestied.

Loading up on name players will likely mean going short on team depth. AV likes rolling 4 lines and 3 defense pairs. You have to have quality bottom line players to do that. Rangers will be most likely looking at holes just losing free agents.

Stralman would be the biggest loss--followed closely by Boyle. Brian does not get enough respect. There is Pouliot, Dominic Moore (who I expect will really want to stay here), Diaz--whoever replaces Richards. There are RFA's. The Rangers biggest need is a 1st line center. None really available in free agency. Stastny, Spezza are not going to put us over the top. Ryan Kesler?--might not be up to it either--whether he would play for AV is another question. What would a Malkin cost? More than likely a lot more than we could afford.

I expect the Rangers are going to fill holes as best they can--that they're not going to be able to fill that 1st line center spot. They'll have to put money out to RFA's Zucc, Brass and Kreider etc. Hopefully buying out Richards they can hang on to Boyle and maybe even get Stralman back on board. Those two guys were huge for us in the playoffs.

Old
06-14-2014, 08:23 AM
TomLaidlaw

I think it is easy to say buy out Richards and re-sign our UFA's and RFA's. Which I would love to do but remember that UFA's are almost always overpaid. Our two most important UFA's also happen to be the two guys who played terrific in the Stanley Cup Finals. That is fresh in a lot of GMs heads.

My fear is that Stralman has played himself into a 5mill a year player in free agency. If you think that is crazy, remember that in free agency it only takes one lunatic. Most years we are that lunatic.

Boyle may have played himself into a 3.5-4 mill player in free agency.

Boyle is someone I view as a nice piece that I would like to keep but he is a 4th liner. You can't give 4th liners 3mill + a year.

Stralman is a different story. There were moments in the finals where I thought to myself that our top defense pairing should be mcdonagh and stralman. He looked that good. It isn't just during the entire playoffs. Stralman has been a steady, smart, positionally sound player for a couple of years for us. The problem is that he gives you almost nothing on the offensive end. We are already paying Girardi 5.5 mill to do that. I fear we are going to lose Stralman and hope that Klein can slide into his spot. And then have a young player play with Moore on the 3rd pairing.

I like this group of players and would love to bring them back for another run next year (minus Richards of course who needs to be bought out). I just don't see it as a realistic possibility. Dom Moore is another guy who looked very good in the playoffs and people are always looking for a guy who can win a defensive zone face off. He may have played himself into a 2.0-2.5 mill player on a short term deal.

Old
06-14-2014, 08:27 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
You have to be careful not to do too much.

Richards is not going to be a factor in the team winning a championship. That became more and more evident as the playoffs went on. His contract is toxic. He absolutely should be amnestied.

Loading up on name players will likely mean going short on team depth. AV likes rolling 4 lines and 3 defense pairs. You have to have quality bottom line players to do that. Rangers will be most likely looking at holes just losing free agents.

Stralman would be the biggest loss--followed closely by Boyle. Brian does not get enough respect. There is Pouliot, Dominic Moore (who I expect will really want to stay here), Diaz--whoever replaces Richards. There are RFA's. The Rangers biggest need is a 1st line center. None really available in free agency. Stastny, Spezza are not going to put us over the top. Ryan Kesler?--might not be up to it either--whether he would play for AV is another question. What would a Malkin cost? More than likely a lot more than we could afford.

I expect the Rangers are going to fill holes as best they can--that they're not going to be able to fill that 1st line center spot. They'll have to put money out to RFA's Zucc, Brass and Kreider etc. Hopefully buying out Richards they can hang on to Boyle and maybe even get Stralman back on board. Those two guys were huge for us in the playoffs.
I would say that Spezza is close to a piece that could be a difference. Unless I'm missing a serious decline in his skating ability, he fits in with the current identity. He's a RH shot, a superb passer, solid on faceoffs, and possesses a superb wrist shot. Money and injuries would be my concern. He's also someone who's played in the Finals, so, you would think the hunger for a Cup is there. Like I said, he's the only center that intrigues me at all that could be available.

Old
06-14-2014, 08:30 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I would say that Spezza is close to a piece that could be a difference. Unless I'm missing a serious decline in his skating ability, he fits in with the current identity. He's a RH shot, a superb passer, solid on faceoffs, and possesses a superb wrist shot. Money and injuries would be my concern. He's also someone who's played in the Finals, so, you would think the hunger for a Cup is there. Like I said, he's the only center that intrigues me at all that could be available.
What would you give up?

06-14-2014, 08:31 AM
Zil

Quote:

I agree with almost all of this, but I'd look into flipping Nash if they can get value for him. His cap hit is untenable for what he gives you and his regular season scoring was not so great last year that it couldn't feasibly be replaced by a full season of St. Louis and steps forward from Kreider, McDonagh, Stepan, and others.

Quote:
I wouldn't touch Spezza. I don't want anymore aging, expensive veterans who'll cost a boatload to acquire in trades. He's right at the age where he'd come here and flop.

Old
06-14-2014, 08:37 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

If you can realistically move Staal+ for Skinner AND buy out Richards this team has a ton of flexibility.

Old
06-14-2014, 08:38 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Also, I'm weary of those potential back problems that has plagued Spezza the past couple seasons. If they are going to try for a #1 center; they need to start looking at elite prospects imo.

Old
06-14-2014, 08:38 AM
showjaxx

Spezza is the guy that I think Sather will target. Only 1 year/$7M left on his deal so I could even see Ottawa retaining part of his salary/cap hit for the right package

Old
06-14-2014, 08:43 AM
eco's bones

Quote:

Rangers might already lose Stralman. I wouldn't be moving Staal in the off season if that were to happen. More inclined to move Staal sometime during the regular season when I'd have a better idea of what exactly I might have as far as other d-men who might be ready or not to replace him and where I can zero in on what exactly the team needs. My guess it will be a 1st line center type regardless--but right now and for a while there might not be any of them really available.

Old
06-14-2014, 08:45 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
If you can realistically move Staal+ for Skinner AND buy out Richards this team has a ton of flexibility.
No way I'd move Staal for a concussion prone Skinner let alone add.

Old
06-14-2014, 08:49 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
What would you give up?
Probably not what Ottawa would want.

Old
06-14-2014, 08:53 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Yea. Skinner would be a disaster here.

06-14-2014, 08:54 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Obviously not this cap space ... and this is raw and quick ... but moving Staal for Skinner + compliance buy out of B. Richards makes a huge difference on this team financially.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Rick Nash ($7.800m) / Jeff Skinner ($5.725m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.625m)
Mats Zuccarello ($3.800m) / Derek Stepan ($3.075m) / Chris Kreider ($2.500m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / Derick Brassard ($4.000m) / Benoit Pouliot ($2.200m)
Brian Boyle ($1.800m) / Dominic Moore ($1.800m) / J.T. Miller ($0.894m)
DEFENSEMEN
Dan Girardi ($5.500m) / Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m)
Anton Stralman ($3.000m) / Kevin Klein ($2.900m)
Dylan McIlrath ($0.703m) / John Moore ($1.500m)
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($8.500m)
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)
BUYOUTS
Wade Redden ($0.000m)
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,835,000; BONUSES: $941,667
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $2,265,000

Old
06-14-2014, 08:55 AM
eco's bones

I'd rather take my chances with Kesler rather than Spezza but there's only so much I would give for either. Rangers really are not in a great position to be making deals. They need to start hanging on to their draft picks and they're likely to lose several free agents.

Of the UFA's I think there's a decent chance that Boyle will give the Rangers every opportunity to re-sign him. What you worry about with him is the crazy money someone else might give him.

Stralman I think is gone--which is too bad. Arguably our second best defenseman in the playoffs after McD.

Dominic Moore want to be a Ranger--really wants that. We might have to give him a bit of a raise but with all the **** he's gone through I think he's staying.

Pouliot might stay as well. He'll probably get higher offers but I don't really think anyone out there is going to open up the checkbook for him and he finally found good chemistry this year with Brass and Zucc.

Carcillo--I wouldn't mind him back. He won't cost much.

Diaz--no big deal whether he stays or goes.

Old
06-14-2014, 08:58 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
The way I look at it ... I am essentially swapping Staal for Stralman in roles and Skinner replaces Richards. It's not like Staal doesn't have his own health concerns.

Old
06-14-2014, 08:58 AM
ReggieDunlop68
Hey Hanrahan!

This was the window period fellas!

Sorry

Closed Thread