HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

The all-encompassing Joe Thornton thread

Old
06-14-2014, 01:31 AM
MarleauApologist
#FireDougWilson

vCash: 500
The all-encompassing Joe Thornton thread

What we know:

Wilson has stated that he is looking to shake up the core, and take "one step backward in order to take two steps forward"
Thornton has been linked to the Blackhawks and Maple Leafs.
His brother and agent, John Thornton, has vehemently stated that Thornton would be unwilling to waive his NTC to leave San Jose, but would potentially re-consider if he felt fan support had turned negative.

Due to the departures of Martin Havlat and Dan Boyle, along with the increase in the salary cap, it is very likely that the Sharks would be willing to retain up to 50% of Thornton's salary in order to increase his value and make a trade with a cap strapped team possible. Despite his age, Thornton is the best player currently available on the market, between UFA/Trade, coming off of an 11 goal, 65 assist season in which he led the NHL in even strength assists and finished 2nd in overall assists. Teams that would potentially be interested are Dallas, New York Rangers, Washington, Anaheim, and St. Louis, along with the previously mentioned Blackhawks and Maple Leafs, and any other dark horse candidates who may be speculated as wanting a center.

Contrary to popular belief, if Thornton is traded, it will not be because of his questionable playoff performance this year, as he was fine in the prior 3 years. It will be due to his age, the Sharks realizing that their window has closed, and wanting to get younger. Therefore, unless it is a cap dump with negative value that is coming back to make things even (eg Bickell), it's unlikely that any player coming back in a Joe Thornton trade is older than 28.

The biggest current need for the Sharks is a top-4 Left-Handed defenseman (or right handed defenseman who consistently plays the left side) whose skating is considerably above average, but it could always be possible that the Sharks take the package with the most value, and acquire a defenseman internally.

Trades which have been looked at and at least partially agreed upon by fan bases are

Thornton (50%) for Leddy, Bickell, Shaw, 2nd
Thornton (50% for Leddy, McNeill, 2015 1st
Thornton (50%) for Hagelin, Kristo, 2015 1st

These are the types of trades that the Sharks would look at. Young, fast skilled players, prospects, picks, and salary retained on Thornton.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 01:57 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

now that the season is over, the official Cap number and draft can't come soon enough.

This will help GMs to make trades like that happen.

What teams would Joe be willing to accept a trade to?

Bubba88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 01:59 AM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Thornton is gonna be like Gaborik in that he'll get traded to a team where he doesn't have to be the man, will still contribute and make the new team a heavily favored contender.

I think it'll be Chicago or Detroit.

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 02:07 AM
Coy

Chicago is my bet. But I could also see him on the Rangers or Detroit. Can't really see him at all on the Leafs.

Coy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 02:08 AM
Taze em

Thornton for Leddy, McNeill, 1st is a great trade, I think for both sides. Sucks to lose Leddy but you have to give to get.

Taze em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 02:09 AM
hisgirlfriday

Quote:
Thornton (50%) for Leddy, McNeill, 2015 1st
This please.

hisgirlfriday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 02:11 AM
Coy

I could see the Leddy trade happening but I could also see TT going to the Sharks if Joe goes to Chicago. I would be really happy to see Jumbo in those great Blackhawk unis.

Old
06-14-2014, 02:16 AM
Taze em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coy View Post
I could see the Leddy trade happening but I could also see TT going to the Sharks if Joe goes to Chicago. I would be really happy to see Jumbo in those great Blackhawk unis.
It isn't possible for Teravainen to go. It would be close to 1 for 1. The Cap wouldn't allow it. Would need to be a roster player that makes 2-4M on the Hawks unless Stan really wants to wheel and deal.

Old
06-14-2014, 02:17 AM
Coy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taze em View Post
It isn't possible for Teravainen to go. It would be close to 1 for 1. The Cap wouldn't allow it. Would need to be a roster player that makes 2-4M on the Hawks unless Stan really wants to wheel and deal.
Of course we would retain salary and probably take back Bickell to make it work. Not 1 for 1 obviously.

Old
06-14-2014, 02:18 AM
hisgirlfriday

I think if it comes down to TT being essential for a trading partner that Stan will just walk away and try his luck on some UFA C or something.

hisgirlfriday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 02:22 AM
Taze em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coy View Post
Of course we would retain salary and probably take back Bickell to make it work. Not 1 for 1 obviously.
So you mean Teravainen+ Bickell for Thornton (50%)?

I'm not sure that Stan is ready to give up on Bickell yet and Teravainen is his guy (along with Shaw and Saad). I think it would be VERY hard to pry those two away from Stan.

Anyways, if we are jumping the value up to giving away Teravainen then Kesler is going to be a Blackhawk. That is the real sticking point with Vancouver (fans) and if he was included they would be ready to deal.

Old
06-14-2014, 02:37 AM
Coy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taze em View Post
So you mean Teravainen+ Bickell for Thornton (50%)?

I'm not sure that Stan is ready to give up on Bickell yet and Teravainen is his guy (along with Shaw and Saad). I think it would be VERY hard to pry those two away from Stan.

Anyways, if we are jumping the value up to giving away Teravainen then Kesler is going to be a Blackhawk. That is the real sticking point with Vancouver (fans) and if he was included they would be ready to deal.
Understandable. Also Teravainen wasn't high on Doug Wilson's draft board (they got the first choice in Hertl otherwise they were gonna trade down) so he might target something else. Though I imagine DW's opinion of TT has changed dramatically after this year.

Old
06-14-2014, 02:50 AM
OhCaptainMyCaptain

I would definitely take Thornton for Leddy, McNeil, 1st rounder. A no-doubter for me. Leddy + Bicks + Shaw + 2nd is too much. Wouldn't want to give up Bicks and Shaw.

OhCaptainMyCaptain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 06:58 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Bickell instead of that 1st and I'd love that deal.

Bubba88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 07:15 AM
Zetterberg4Captain

their should be 0% chance that San Jose, an elite team in the West, trades Joe Thornton to any other elite teams in the West and one could argue any team in the West.

I assume their goal would be by trading Thornton to win the cup, well for the West that runs exclusively through LA and Chicago for the next 3 plus years

Thornton to the NYR a team that is in the East, clearly needs a true #1 centre, that is always ready to make a splash, has the assets to make a deal and probably belives they're just one or two pieces away from a cup makes the most sense

Thornton to NYR for Kreider and Klein or something to that effect

It solves the Rags #1 need, adds depth and youth to the Sharks and clears cap space to continue to rebrand the Sharks

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 10:28 AM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
their should be 0% chance that San Jose, an elite team in the West, trades Joe Thornton to any other elite teams in the West and one could argue any team in the West.

I assume their goal would be by trading Thornton to win the cup, well for the West that runs exclusively through LA and Chicago for the next 3 plus years

Thornton to the NYR a team that is in the East, clearly needs a true #1 centre, that is always ready to make a splash, has the assets to make a deal and probably belives they're just one or two pieces away from a cup makes the most sense

Thornton to NYR for Kreider and Klein or something to that effect

It solves the Rags #1 need, adds depth and youth to the Sharks and clears cap space to continue to rebrand the Sharks
For a team that's playing high to the cap routinely, and in need of young high end talent, Kreider is probably a non-starter. Although I could see Thornton to the Rangers. Something along the lines of JT Miller+ instead of Kreider+. Just my opinion though cause I think Kreider has a higher ceiling and already loved by NY.

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 10:45 AM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
For a team that's playing high to the cap routinely, and in need of young high end talent, Kreider is probably a non-starter. Although I could see Thornton to the Rangers. Something along the lines of JT Miller+ instead of Kreider+. Just my opinion though cause I think Kreider has a higher ceiling and already loved by NY.
i agree though i can see the rags brass thinking they're close to a cup and as good as kreider is/could be, they clearly lack a true #1 centre9let alone one of thorntons calibre) co could see them being the best fit

Old
06-14-2014, 10:51 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarleauApologist View Post
What we know:

Wilson has stated that he is looking to shake up the core, and take "one step backward in order to take two steps forward"
Thornton has been linked to the Blackhawks and Maple Leafs.
His brother and agent, John Thornton, has vehemently stated that Thornton would be unwilling to waive his NTC to leave San Jose, but would potentially re-consider if he felt fan support had turned negative.

Due to the departures of Martin Havlat and Dan Boyle, along with the increase in the salary cap, it is very likely that the Sharks would be willing to retain up to 50% of Thornton's salary in order to increase his value and make a trade with a cap strapped team possible. Despite his age, Thornton is the best player currently available on the market, between UFA/Trade, coming off of an 11 goal, 65 assist season in which he led the NHL in even strength assists and finished 2nd in overall assists. Teams that would potentially be interested are Dallas, New York Rangers, Washington, Anaheim, and St. Louis, along with the previously mentioned Blackhawks and Maple Leafs, and any other dark horse candidates who may be speculated as wanting a center.

Contrary to popular belief, if Thornton is traded, it will not be because of his questionable playoff performance this year, as he was fine in the prior 3 years. It will be due to his age, the Sharks realizing that their window has closed, and wanting to get younger. Therefore, unless it is a cap dump with negative value that is coming back to make things even (eg Bickell), it's unlikely that any player coming back in a Joe Thornton trade is older than 28.

The biggest current need for the Sharks is a top-4 Left-Handed defenseman (or right handed defenseman who consistently plays the left side) whose skating is considerably above average, but it could always be possible that the Sharks take the package with the most value, and acquire a defenseman internally.

Trades which have been looked at and at least partially agreed upon by fan bases are

Thornton (50%) for Leddy, Bickell, Shaw, 2nd
Thornton (50% for Leddy, McNeill, 2015 1st
Thornton (50%) for Hagelin, Kristo, 2015 1st

These are the types of trades that the Sharks would look at. Young, fast skilled players, prospects, picks, and salary retained on Thornton.
I would be happy with that

Although a 30-35% retain salary is more reasonable then 50% by Sharks in that scenario

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 10:56 AM
keslercrosby*

thornton + pavelski to toronto for clarkson + phaneuf + 2015 3rd

keslercrosby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 10:57 AM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
I would be happy with that
Yeah, because it's a ****ing steal for the Hawks. We need more coming back. Throw in Shaw or Morin and I'd probably do it.

JayP812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 10:57 AM
MarleauApologist
#FireDougWilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Bickell instead of that 1st and I'd love that deal.
Havlat instead of Thornton and I'd love it too. Gotta give to get. Bickell has negative value, only reason Sharks would trade for him is if they knew they'd be picking up another significant asset (like Shaw or a 1st) because they took on his salary.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 10:58 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by alttimegreat View Post
thornton + pavelski to toronto for clarkson + phaneuf + 2015 3rd
That is clearly a joke. I wouldn't take that package for free

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 11:02 AM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
Yeah, because it's a ****ing steal for the Hawks. We need more coming back. Throw in Shaw or Morin and I'd probably do it.
why would the sharks trade thronton to the hawks to all but make it a 0% chance they emerge from the west?

Old
06-14-2014, 11:05 AM
WantonAbandon

To hell with leddy the sharks already have demers and burns. Teuvo won't work cap wise. I don't see how a deal with Chicago could be done without hjalmarrsson.

Hjalmarrsson hold nose for versteeg and 1st

Zetterberg4captain: unless the sharks can find a way to add to their blue line and rw,I don't see them emerging

Last edited by WantonAbandon: 06-14-2014 at 11:12 AM.
WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 11:11 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
Leddy + Morin + McNeill + 2015 1st would be fine with me as well

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote