HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2010 draft is holding us back

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-16-2014, 08:46 AM
  #76
Krampus
Call me Nils
 
Krampus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 18,038
vCash: 500
If you want to say we're being held back by a single draft year, you may want to look elsewhere


__________________
Krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 09:04 AM
  #77
McD27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 398
vCash: 500
Hugh Non-Specimen was the guy who held us back. We could've had Parise.

McD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 09:25 AM
  #78
nikonsniper*
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 901
vCash: 500
Cherepanov not being dead would have given us a much better shot at the cup. If we had Cere instead of Nash (and being able to then keep Dubi and Ani), then we are legit contenders as good or better than the Kings/Bruins/Hawks

nikonsniper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 09:32 AM
  #79
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny
 
Swagelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangers1472 View Post
I'm just going to leave this here for those who think McIlrath is just some big goon who's going to blunder around the ice and try to demolish people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...F3-lbf5Lg#t=65
Great! Another big man that can barely hold his own in a fight...

Swagelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 10:25 AM
  #80
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,014
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McD27 View Post
Hugh Non-Specimen was the guy who held us back. We could've had Parise.
Could have had Getzlaf. At the time of the 2003 draft it was imperative that the Rangers get an NHL player in the first round. That draft set them back more than 2010 did.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 10:58 AM
  #81
3rd Guy High
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 750
vCash: 500
See, I want to say its easy to always be correct in hindsight, but the thing is EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE wanted Tarasenko and then he fell right into their laps and they passed on him. Not to mention a player that was supposed to go #2 or #3 in Fowler dropped to 10.

3rd Guy High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 11:14 AM
  #82
pwoz
Registered User
 
pwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,531
vCash: 500
This team needs finishers. I would love a crease-clearing-rampaging-monster-dman, but this team needs to score, and Hank's insane play can make up for many defensive lapses.

McIlrath was a huge risk compared to Fowler, who now has 265 games of NHL experience! I guess for me personally, I know that McIlrath would be a multi-year project, but for a top 10 pick, I expect the player (regardless of position) to go to the NHL almost immediately. IMO you should almost always draft the BPA.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 11:36 AM
  #83
NickyFotiu
Registered User
 
NickyFotiu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagelin View Post
Great! Another big man that can barely hold his own in a fight...
Both fighters looked exhausted in that clip. For a young kid like Mcillrath to take on possibly the best fighter (Mcgrattan) in the NHL last season shows he can handle his own.

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 12:22 PM
  #84
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I wonder if McIlrath was a Torts pick. He just does not fit the skill team that Sather has been trying to create ever since he traded for Nash. Drafting any player top 10, much less a defenseman in part because of his fighting skills in a league where fighting is going the way of the dodo is painfully stupid.

People can list 25 different positive qualities that McIlrath has, from skating to shooting to penalty killing, but if someone, somewhere, even in another thread mentions fighting as one of his attributes, that's it, you will conclude, "you only like him for his fighting skills that are going absolete."

Beukeboom also fought occasionally, and it was a good thing that he knew how, but he brought a lot more to the table than just fighting, which is why he was a first pair defenseman. McIlrath is bigger, faster, better passer and a much better shooter.

People who don't watch him, need to stay quiet. "I knew to draft Tarasenko/Fowler" is moronic: being right once when 99% of the time the player the fans are clamoring for turns into crap proves nothing.

The only reason anyone wanted Tarasenko or Fowler is that you could read their stats. All of you knew nothing about them and still know nothing about McIlrath.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 12:30 PM
  #85
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,517
vCash: 500
This whole forum was clamoring for Jared Staal, Grachev or Kirill Petrov in the second round of 2008 over Stepan. Nobody wanted Stepan and most flat out hated him at first.

How come nobody remembers that "literally everyone" wanted one bust or another over the guy who turned into BPA?

Selective memory makes everyone feel like a great expert.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 12:44 PM
  #86
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,469
vCash: 500
doesnt matter who wanted whom drafted back then. last i checked, no one here is being asked their opinion by the club prior to the podium visit. everyone here plays gm on draft day and everyone has their favorites. some based on valid info from informed draftniks and some just reading stats and liking the name.

what i do know is this, given what kind of players both fowler and tarasenko are right now today, i know i would not re select mcilrath again if we had a do over. thats not 20/20 either. i wanted no part of mcilrath at 10 that day.

thats all that really matters. would we draft dylan mcilrath at 10 again ??

most, i presume, would say probably/definitely not. he has helped us exactly ZERO since he was drafted. fowler and tank..... i would say they both have made an impact on their respective clubs.

however, since hes here and since hes our kid now, we all should support him and his continued development.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 01:05 PM
  #87
NickyFotiu
Registered User
 
NickyFotiu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,654
vCash: 500
If being in the Stanley Cup is us being held back than lets do it again.

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 01:09 PM
  #88
Raspewtin
Early To The Party
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Howard Beach, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,162
vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint View Post
I don't see why this conclusion is being made. Torts helped elevate the game of the entire top 4 during his reign here. If there was one thing he was good at, it was getting the most out of his defenders at least from a defensive standpoint.

I think Fowler will be McDonagh-lite very shortly. It is maddening to think what could've been.
lolwut? Are you kidding?

Fowler is garbage in his own zone. And when he broke into the league, he was soft as baby-****, could be flat out lazy at times, and took way too many risks with the puck. I'm not saying he's supposed to be a perfect defenseman, but Torts would've ate him alive.

He only made Anaheim's blueline because their defense was trash.

__________________
Raspewtin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 01:11 PM
  #89
Raspewtin
Early To The Party
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Howard Beach, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,162
vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I wonder if McIlrath was a Torts pick. He just does not fit the skill team that Sather has been trying to create ever since he traded for Nash. Drafting any player top 10, much less a defenseman in part because of his fighting skills in a league where fighting is going the way of the dodo is painfully stupid.
I get the vibe he was a Torts' ish pick, but that's where the intelligent discussion in this post ends.

If we really went to the top 10 to look for fighting skill, we'd have drafted McNaught there.

Raspewtin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 01:22 PM
  #90
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
This whole forum was clamoring for Jared Staal, Grachev or Kirill Petrov in the second round of 2008 over Stepan. Nobody wanted Stepan and most flat out hated him at first.

How come nobody remembers that "literally everyone" wanted one bust or another over the guy who turned into BPA?

Selective memory makes everyone feel like a great expert.
honest question. do you think MCI can make the Rangers out of camp? Legitimately...or is he more of a midseason player.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 01:45 PM
  #91
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
honest question. do you think MCI can make the Rangers out of camp? Legitimately...or is he more of a midseason player.
really the question is where will he play ?

hes a righty shot. and hes gonna maybe play 3rd pair minutes maybe. he will need a decent smart vet lefty partner too. someone who can skate and play some defense as well. what ever pair includes mcilrath wont offer much offense either and we ned some push from the backend next season.

so do we play him with mcd. no.
staal. um no.
moore. yikes although i like john moore to have a breakout season next year.
allen. ya no.

and more importantly, does he even have a spot ?

stralman must be resigned. righty
girardi already extended.
klein signed for a few more yrs.

again, whos gone and where does he fit in ?

he wont be brought up to sit and play 7th d minutes. hell stay in hart and play top pair minutes, pk and pp.

not sure mac has a spot to win and if not, maybe edmonton does ?

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 05:59 PM
  #92
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
honest question. do you think MCI can make the Rangers out of camp? Legitimately...or is he more of a midseason player.
Midseason. That said, we will make the playoffs anyway and he will get enough regular season experience to be an important playoff player.

The Rangers might want to keep him in the minors a month too long because so much of the fan base can't wait to rip on him and it wouldn't be a good idea to ruin a player's confidence because someone whose knowledge of prospects is based on stats, size and THN reports says we should've drafted Tarasenko .


Last edited by Beacon: 06-16-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 06:19 PM
  #93
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
a top 10 pick, I expect the player (regardless of position) to go to the NHL almost immediately.
That's because you know nothing about the draft, your imagination to the contrary notwithstanding. The last star drafted at #10 was selected in the 1989. The odds of a #10 pick being a minor league bust are more than double him being a top-6F or a top-4D.

I posted this before, repeatedly, but everyone ignores it so you can feel smart when attacking McIlrath.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 01:05 AM
  #94
Mint
Dynamic Duo
 
Mint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Waterloo
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,296
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
lolwut? Are you kidding?

Fowler is garbage in his own zone. And when he broke into the league, he was soft as baby-****, could be flat out lazy at times, and took way too many risks with the puck. I'm not saying he's supposed to be a perfect defenseman, but Torts would've ate him alive.

He only made Anaheim's blueline because their defense was trash.
Was. Fowler was garbage in his own end, now he's an elite PM dman. His natural gifts have allowed him to come around. Even if Torts would hypothetically hate him, he'd probably spend another year in Windsor to develop.

Not gonna lie though, I'm still excited for McIlrath's toughness.

Mint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 01:06 AM
  #95
Aufheben
Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Aufheben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Angola
Posts: 12,415
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
People can list 25 different positive qualities that McIlrath has, from skating to shooting to penalty killing, but if someone, somewhere, even in another thread mentions fighting as one of his attributes, that's it, you will conclude, "you only like him for his fighting skills that are going absolete."

Beukeboom also fought occasionally, and it was a good thing that he knew how, but he brought a lot more to the table than just fighting, which is why he was a first pair defenseman. McIlrath is bigger, faster, better passer and a much better shooter.

People who don't watch him, need to stay quiet. "I knew to draft Tarasenko/Fowler" is moronic: being right once when 99% of the time the player the fans are clamoring for turns into crap proves nothing.

The only reason anyone wanted Tarasenko or Fowler is that you could read their stats. All of you knew nothing about them and still know nothing about McIlrath.
Seriously, he was drafted 4 years ago, and so many people still don't know anything about him. I'd surprised if he isn't adored by NYR fans within the next 2 years, maybe sooner. Especially after the SCF where we had trouble in front of Lundqvist AND Quick. He is exactly what our defense needed in that series. Epic crow smorgasbord pending.

__________________


Last edited by Aufheben: 06-17-2014 at 01:11 AM.
Aufheben is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.