HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Legacy of Gaborik after SC

Old
06-18-2014, 03:47 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
An injury-prone talent has a day in the sun?

He's a poor man's Pat Lafontaine.

Two more healthy excellent seasons and then we'll talk.
As in, poor like a church mouse type of poor? Lafontaine in my mind is solidly in the HHOF. I don't think I've ever seen Gaborik near Patty at his best.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 04:30 PM
vadim sharifijanov
#bryantreevesbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post

He could with a little help in the health department finish with the magic 500-1000 marks and hey Barber,Shutt, Neely and Anderson are in the HHOF, is Gaborik that much of a stretch?
seems like what you're really suggesting is if LA becomes a dynasty and gabo sticks around, he could get in as one of the absolute weakest selections. which sounds reasonable to me. but without more cups, i don't see it.

the problem for gaborik is that his entire career there was a very similar but superior player than him in kovalchuk. if he even were to have a shot as a borderline guy, he'd have had to be a one of a kind force, like neely or bure.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 09:23 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
seems like what you're really suggesting is if LA becomes a dynasty and gabo sticks around, he could get in as one of the absolute weakest selections. which sounds reasonable to me. but without more cups, i don't see it.

the problem for gaborik is that his entire career there was a very similar but superior player than him in kovalchuk. if he even were to have a shot as a borderline guy, he'd have had to be a one of a kind force, like neely or bure.
I don't think that Gaborik will make the Hall but in pointing out those other modern guys the standard for wingers isn't really that high either.

The thing is that despite his injuries he has 7 30 plus goal seasons and could get another 1 or 2 and with some more playoffs one could make a serious case for him against the other guys I mentioned.

Also in his time in the league he is still 9th in total goals, 5 Canadians are ahead of him and 11 of the top 20 are non Canadians.

He stacks up really well to Shutt, Barber and Anderson and even Neely as well.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 10:25 AM
Canadiens1958

Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
And you post one play and that's what...? Reason why he shouldn't be considered as good as he is or something?

Go watch Rags-Pens, pick some goals where Crosby just stands around and blows coverage while the Rags score, then we can say he's not HOF worthy etc.
One more than any Gaborik proponents have posted. Point is that one represents that start of an inquiry that others are not willing to undertake while trying to debate on ice performance using off ice arguments.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 10:38 AM
IComeInPeace

If I had to choose a player for the playoffs, b/w a healthy Rick Nash, or an injury prone Gaborik, I take my chances with an injury prone Gaborik 10 times out of 10.

With Gaborik, you know if he's healthy, he will be an asset.

Nash is probably the most overrated player of the last decade.

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote