HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stinky equipment in dorms

Old
06-16-2014, 12:29 AM
sully61
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Stinky equipment in dorms

Wednesday I'm moving to Barksdale AFB, Louisiana and will be staying in the dorms. I want to bring my equipment down but it stinks very bad and don't want to keep it in my car. What are some of my options that you can think of or have tried so I can play down there.

sully61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 12:35 AM
AIREAYE

...wash them

Bring some Febreze or whatever, adopt a new routine of air drying your gear (do a search for different methods and products) and spraying them (again, do a search) and periodically wash them.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 12:58 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Wear bandana under your helmet, water proof golf gloves under your gloves.

This will minimize the amount of sweat retained in your gear.

When you dry your skates, make sure you pull out your in-soles.

Also, never keep wet jersey and crumpled up in an unaired area. It only takes a few days for a sweaty jersey to ferment into a dumpster on fire.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 09:00 AM
Pog Form

Get it clean, then keep it dry.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 10:16 AM
McDugan

I've found recently that getting really busy and not being able to play helps a lot to keep my equipment from stinking.

McDugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 11:07 AM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully61 View Post
Wednesday I'm moving to Barksdale AFB, Louisiana and will be staying in the dorms. I want to bring my equipment down but it stinks very bad and don't want to keep it in my car. What are some of my options that you can think of or have tried so I can play down there.
there is really nothing that can be done about keeping your dorm from stinking. no amount of febreeze will keep the stink out/ not drive your roomate crazy. It really isn't fair to him to have to deal with the smell of your gear.

What I did in college was leave my gear in the car with the bag open. I bought a ton of air fresheners and put them around the car. Also cracked my windows to get a breeze blowing through. and keep the smell in the car to a minimum

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 06:56 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
there is really nothing that can be done about keeping your dorm from stinking. no amount of febreeze will keep the stink out/ not drive your roomate crazy. It really isn't fair to him to have to deal with the smell of your gear.

What I did in college was leave my gear in the car with the bag open. I bought a ton of air fresheners and put them around the car. Also cracked my windows to get a breeze blowing through. and keep the smell in the car to a minimum
I can't imagine the stench if your car was parked outdoors in a Florida summer.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 09:51 PM
damack

how about clean it so it doesn't stink, then keep it clean

damack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 07:50 AM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
I can't imagine the stench if your car was parked outdoors in a Florida summer.
Well we had a 4 story garage, so atleast the car was in the shade, but my system actually worked really well. I had a Toyota 4 runner at the time and the back windshield worked as a window, so I could open that as well and get even more clean air running through the car. I spent about $100 in air fresheners a year, but it was worth it in my opinion

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 10:33 AM
Tacks92

We used to stash our gear in the dorm common storage areas (there was a room for luggage and stuff on each floor). It wasn't technically allowed, but getting friendly with the RAs helped and it made our rooms smell a heck of a lot better.

Tacks92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 11:30 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
My routine:before and after every game gloves, elbow pads, shin pads, shoulder pads and inside of hockey pants are sprayed with antimicrobial Febreze. Notice I said before and after, not just after. I don't like playing with crusty dry equipment, thus my preference. After every game hockey socks, skate socks, under shirt and jersey are washed and dried. After every season elbow pads, shin pads, shoulder pads and hockey pants are put in washing machine that doesn't have a tumbler in the middle, washed and air dryed. My equipment doesn't stink. Minimal effort but you have to have some sort of routine. Opening your bag is not a routine.

Last edited by The Tikkanen: 06-17-2014 at 02:02 PM.
The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 01:54 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
you should open up the bag in your dorm to attract all the ladies, they smell hockey and pretend they dont like the smell but they do, like flys on doops

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 03:36 PM
buddhaknows

Pick up a rocket dryer system and stow your gear inside it when not in use. Works well in small spaces.

buddhaknows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 05:21 PM
doobie604

For all the Febreze users, should try alternatives.... Not only is it really bad for you, it just makes the stinky gear stinkier mixed with Febreze smell. Almost gag every time sitting beside people who uses it. Mixing a little essential oil with something mild like witch hazel and water does a lot better job than all that skin irritating chemicals sprayed on. Drying the gear is key though, don't just leave it in the bag when it's wet. Nothing will stop the smell if you allow bacteria to grow on wet gear.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 05:43 PM
TieClark

Stop smelling so nasty... problem solved

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 05:50 PM
SirJW

As stated start w/ clean gear, there are plenty of options to do that.

I wash my gear every year or so in a front loader. Use regular detergent, add a few boxes of baking soda and a liter of white vinegar. Air dry. If your gloves really stink bad all the time consider a 2nd pair, rotate them and wash more often.

Wear undergarments to help absorb some of your stink. Wash after each use including socks and jersey w/ the same method as above.

Air out your gear after every use if you can use a fan it speeds it up. Maybe consider a drying tree to save on space or create a hook system in your closet. The stink is from bacteria allowed to grow. I spray w/ lysol and or an alcohol / water solution. Put your gear away when you are done.

The car option is OK especially if you have a covered parking spot but take it all out of the bag and spread it out after you spray it. My wife does it w her gear although there is a slight wiff when you first open the car.

Or as mentioned maybe there is a storage area you can use or even the rink might have an option for storing gear.

SirJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 08:32 AM
buddhaknows

Thinking about what happened to a relative in Florida recently. Her car was stored in a garage and was covered with a dust cover. Somehow moisture entered the vehicle and mushrooms grew out of the headliner and carpeting. Louisiana isn't much different than Florida's climate. Keeping wet gear in a car in 100 degree summer heat and 70%+ humidity is a recipe for serious bacterial and fungal growth. Not only will your gear smell but you're going to get the itch pretty badly too. Keep your gear dry and clean.

buddhaknows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 01:39 PM
jazzykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhaknows View Post
Pick up a rocket dryer system and stow your gear inside it when not in use. Works well in small spaces.
I have not tried one but I have heard good things.

my wife is from near there and I don't think there is much alternative given the savage humidity.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 01:53 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post
I have not tried one but I have heard good things.

my wife is from near there and I don't think there is much alternative given the savage humidity.
I think if you had a gear storage tree and dunked your stuff in a cooler filled with soapy water you'd solve your problem. When your gear falls apart or the smell just won't come out go get new gear. For people that think it's funny to wear smelly gear just google staph infection.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 12:43 AM
hockeyr5

Ask around the school and rink you plan to play at if there is anywhere you can stash your stuff.

Otherwise, I have had to keep my stuff in my room for decent stretches of time and I never had much of a problem. Not ideal but it worked for me. Just put it under your bed.

hockeyr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2014, 08:06 AM
emgsa85

I made the mistake of not airing my bag out one night because I was exhausted after a late night game. A few days later when I went to go skate at a stick and puck session I discovered my pants had a nice healthy growth of mold that I had to wire brush out. I've also had a few experiences in a league where I couldn't stand sitting next to a teammate because his pads ABSOLUTELY REAKED. So don't be that guy and wash your pads. Wearing some sort of compression undergarments helps with keeping the sweat off your pads but you still need to wash them.

emgsa85 is offline   Reply With Quote