HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ty Rattie or Dmitri Jaskin, who should the Blues keep?

View Poll Results: Who would you rather the Blues keep?
Dmitri Jaskin 30 48.39%
Ty Rattie 32 51.61%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-16-2014, 04:16 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

vCash: 500
Ty Rattie or Dmitri Jaskin, who should the Blues keep?

Assuming the Blues trade one of them in a deal to get a center, if its all the same to the other team, who do you want the Blues to keep?

I see Rattie thrown around a lot in trade proposals, and I see a lot of line-ups for next season with Jaskin on the team. I'm wondering why? Jaskin seems to have the more redundant skill-set in the organization. I understand Rattie is still probably a year away or more, but long-term his ability to find the back of the net is a much rarer skill-set in the Blues organization.

I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks about this.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 04:20 PM
Dbrownss

vCash: 883
I just don't see rattie bumping tank or oshie down. It's been said over and over that he isn't a bottom 6 skater...so he's unfortunately odd man out

Dbrownss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 04:22 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 270
If we trade Berglund, and even if we don't, he isn't completely in the long-term plans, who do we have on the wings that has size? I wouldn't call Jaskin redundant.

Ideally, we keep both, and I won't be mad if either one has to be moved as they are basically on the same level. Jaskin needs to improve skating and Rattie needs to improve strength, and I think both will be quality top 6 players down the road. I like Jaskin's size more and if Jaskin does improve his skating to the level that Backes did, he will be a dominant force. Besides Backes, we don't really have that.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 04:34 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 133
I'd keep Jaskin as he's more likely to contribute during the current window. It's all about maximizing Cup chances in the next few years. Worry about the future when it gets here and try to draft well in the meantime.

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 04:53 PM
shifting

I guess Jaskin. I haven't seen much out of him to date, always seems to be invisible in the Blues games. Rattie I truly know very little about, but heard he wasn't a great skater either. So I guess size wins out for me.

shifting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 05:58 PM
SneakerPimp82

Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
I'd keep Rattie. The way I see it, Rattie seems to be the much better scorer of the two, though Jaskin is about a year ahead in development. But, Jaskin seems like he'll end up being a serviceable 2nd or 3rd liner with good size, basically what Paajarvi is gonna top out as, although speed would be his plus asset. Jaskin truly is a bit redundant in my eyes, and cheap high end scoring potential(i.e. 30+ goals) wins out over size in my book, at least more often than not.

SneakerPimp82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 08:39 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

I think it's safe to say we recognize that it depends. Certain teams might be really hung up on one or the other in a way that significantly impacts other ingredients in the deal.

And if we're talking about non-hypotheticals, I don't like the idea of trading either one. Armstrong hung onto both in the deals for Bouwmeester and Miller for a reason. Perhaps that reason was for another trade, but the Blues need offensive skill in the pipeline and shouldn't flip it away for anything less than a sure thing. And while guys like Spezza and Kesler would improve the team, there are reasons beyond their teams' situations that make them available.

As for the question, itself, though, I think Rattie has good potential to be a significantly more potent scorer, but if you're trading one now, it's him. If Jaskin can improve his skating just a bit, he'll help the team immediately. I already really like his two-way play. Rattie might take another couple of years. If you're playing a patient game, you keep Rattie, but I'm afraid the Blues are in an uncomfortable, less patient position.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 10:15 PM
Kasparov

we have almost nothing in the pipeline...i would hate to see us make ANOTHER bad trade.

Kasparov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 12:23 AM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Took until post 8 to get the right answer.

There isn't a good reason to trade one of them. There isn't a center we can get in trade that is worth giving one of them up for.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 12:36 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post

There isn't a good reason to trade one of them. There isn't a center we can get in trade that is worth giving one of them up for.
Spezza is definitely worth it.

Old
06-17-2014, 12:51 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Spezza is definitely worth it.
I agree.

Suppose Stastny is not an option. The Blues can acquire a top center by trade, or....not acquire a top center. Parting with either or both of Rattie/Jaskin to bring in Spezza most certainly improves the Blues' chances for next season.

You can quibble whether Spezza is the exact guy you want, or that its a gamble to be able to re-sign him....but there's no question that he'll be an upgrade on what Sobotka, Roy or Berglund would be doing if we tried to put any of them with Schwartz/Tarasenko.

It hurts to see the Blues' offensive assets squandered. But if they are moved in trades to get the team a Cup, I think we'd all sign up for that. There are no "no risk" moves the team can make....and I think rolling with the current centers, same as last season, that's not an inspiring off-season to expect a better outcome.

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 02:30 AM
Kasparov

Quote:

Not only are we giving up on rattle/Jaskin...but also a 1st round pick AND a roster player. Wow déjà vu, right? I don't want to say that because we traded for miller we shouldn't try again, but we gave up an awful lot to get him which in hindsight, could have been used for a spezza experiment. There is a point at which you need to look at what has been done and then what can be done.

It could work, but if it doesn't...we are in a BAAAAD place

Kasparov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 04:22 AM
BlueDream

Quote:

I do not understand this logic.

Out of all the names we've discussed trading for (Spezza, Thornton, Staal, Pavelski, etc) please tell me which ones Rattie or Jaskin will be as good as?

The answer is none. Let's not overrate our prospects and deem them untouchable here. Yes I'd prefer to keep them but ignoring our huge need just to keep a prospect is insane.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 07:59 AM
Dbrownss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasparov View Post
Not only are we giving up on rattle/Jaskin...but also a 1st round pick AND a roster player. Wow déjà vu, right? I don't want to say that because we traded for miller we shouldn't try again, but we gave up an awful lot to get him which in hindsight, could have been used for a spezza experiment. There is a point at which you need to look at what has been done and then what can be done.

It could work, but if it doesn't...we are in a BAAAAD place
Problem is if Stastny doesn't hit FA then the Blues will continue on the path of ground hogs day PO appearances. It's a tough choice

Old
06-17-2014, 11:43 AM
Mzeppelin1

Spezza is not the answer. 2007 Spezza might have been, but not 2015 Spezza. Stastny is the best immediate option. The only other solution to get a number 1 center is to trade up to 2 or 3 in this years draft or tank next season and hope we get McDavid. While that's not likely to happen, I would like to have Reinhart or Draisaitl.

Mzeppelin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 11:55 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzeppelin1 View Post
Spezza is not the answer. 2007 Spezza might have been, but not 2015 Spezza. Stastny is the best immediate option. The only other solution to get a number 1 center is to trade up to 2 or 3 in this years draft or tank next season and hope we get McDavid. While that's not likely to happen, I would like to have Reinhart or Draisaitl.
I'm sure the Sabres would appreciate that, but it wouldn't do anything for us.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 12:40 PM
Dbrownss

Quote:
Spezza is very capable of ppg production between Schwartz and Tarasenko. He's a playmaker/sniper to work with our playmaker/snipers.

Last edited by Dbrownss: 06-17-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old
06-17-2014, 04:00 PM
BrokenFace

Don't want to vote just yet because they're both so even in my mind that my opinion would change every day. I will say it's worth waiting on Jaskin to see how much his off season training improves his skating. If he addresses his biggest flaw in a significant way this summer, he will be an entirely different player.

BrokenFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 04:20 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Spezza just turned 31 a couple days ago and is still very capable of being a PPG player. He's good.

Then again, there are some people who don't think anyone is the answer unless they are a 25-year old who is signed for 9 years at a 1.5 million cap hit and scores 130 points a season.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 04:36 PM
Majorityof1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Then again, there are some people who don't think anyone is the answer unless they are a 25-year old who is signed for 9 years at a 1.5 million cap hit and scores 130 points a season.
I'm not giving up a first for that guy. He isn't Selke caliber on defense and I heard he has attitude problems. Plus that contract. He'll be 34 in 9 years.

Majorityof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 04:45 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

I went with Rattie. You can't teach scoring insticts like this guy has.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 06:27 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorityof1 View Post
I'm not giving up a first for that guy. He isn't Selke caliber on defense and I heard he has attitude problems. Plus that contract. He'll be 34 in 9 years.
But, the dude is 6'10" 260lbs, just imagine a bigger Chara at center. Dude will kill Toews and Kopitar, finally allowing us to win.

Old
06-17-2014, 09:56 PM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

I prefer to keep both, but if we are dealing one of the two, I want to keep Jaskin. Honestly I see a lot of Backes in him. He's got that nasty side to him, and he's got a lot of skill to go with it. He's basically the antithesis of Chris Stewart, and that's a good thing. We all remember how terrible of a skater Backes was when he came up, and look how he's turned out. I still think Rattie has the potential to score more goals, but I think Jaskin will be a much more complete player. Well that, and the fact that I think Jaskin is an NHLer for sure.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 12:05 AM
Turk Sanderson

Why does the prospect have to be one of those two? I'd send Magnus in the deal and keep those two if at all possible.

Turk Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 12:12 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk Sanderson View Post
Why does the prospect have to be one of those two? I'd send Magnus in the deal and keep those two if at all possible.
All of us would, but Paajarvi has very little value and we'd need to offer more.