HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ty Rattie or Dmitri Jaskin, who should the Blues keep?

View Poll Results: Who would you rather the Blues keep?
Dmitri Jaskin 30 48.39%
Ty Rattie 32 51.61%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-17-2014, 11:34 PM
Turk Sanderson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
All of us would, but Paajarvi has very little value and we'd need to offer more.
That's your opinion. I've read that a player, a prospect, and a pick, is the asking price. Ottawa has a limited market based on Spezza's list and their own desires not to trade him within their own division. There's gonna be some wiggle room on an oft-injured 31 year-old in his walk year. If not just say "no thanks". and walk away.

Turk Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2014, 11:55 PM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk Sanderson View Post
That's your opinion. I've read that a player, a prospect, and a pick, is the asking price. Ottawa has a limited market based on Spezza's list and their own desires not to trade him within their own division. There's gonna be some wiggle room on an oft-injured 31 year-old in his walk year. If not just say "no thanks". and walk away.
And then what? Fail to address the center position yet again? If we miss on Stastny, Spezza is the best option.

Vladys Gumption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 08:19 AM
Thallis
We suck again!

Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Is there a reason we can trade one of our defensemen? I'm not comfortable being so thin at forward in the pipeline, and we seem to have a few good value guys on the back end

Thallis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 10:09 AM
SweetyV

I'd rather deal Shattenkrik in place of one of these two.

SweetyV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 10:21 AM
SirPaste

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetyV View Post
Who replaces Shattenkirk?

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 10:24 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Yeah, no. Jaskin and Rattie look good, but they are definitely being moved before Shattenkirk.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 10:30 AM
DeuceNine
Wall of Shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrownss View Post
Problem is if Stastny doesn't hit FA then the Blues will continue on the path of ground hogs day PO appearances. It's a tough choice
This is what happens when you're viewed as a desperate and frustrated team with a closing window. Teams smell this.

DeuceNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 11:26 AM
actionhank1786

It's a tough call either way. Jaskin's got size, and could turn into a great powerforward, but Rattie has something we don't have a ton of, which is pure goal scoring.

That said, I'd probably deal Jaskin first. Rattie's got the potential to develop into a great sniper, and we could definitely use that.

actionhank1786 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 02:01 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
I prefer to keep both, but if we are dealing one of the two, I want to keep Jaskin. Honestly I see a lot of Backes in him. He's got that nasty side to him, and he's got a lot of skill to go with it. He's basically the antithesis of Chris Stewart, and that's a good thing. We all remember how terrible of a skater Backes was when he came up, and look how he's turned out. I still think Rattie has the potential to score more goals, but I think Jaskin will be a much more complete player. Well that, and the fact that I think Jaskin is an NHLer for sure.
I agree with your analysis on on keeping Jaskin over Rattie, so it's Rattie going via trade to help get that Center since he's further away but if any way possible would love to keep both.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 11:01 AM
The Note
Overrated

Quote:
You'd rather trade a 24 year old bona fide offensive D-man than two prospects that haven't done anything at the nhl level?

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 01:59 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Note View Post
You'd rather trade a 24 year old bona fide offensive D-man than two prospects that haven't done anything at the nhl level?
Yeah it's pretty ridiculous how some prospects are overvalued.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 10:29 PM
simon in canada

Jaskin hands-down for me. All he has to do is take a power skating course and voila ...a power forward. Rattie also has ( I think), more trade value. Plus we already have Schwartz in the small -but- skilled category. As much as the NHL seems to be going in that direction, I wouldn't want too many of those in my top six.

simon in canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 12:24 AM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

vCash: 270
Jaskin. Seems more able to play in any situation.

06-20-2014, 01:04 AM
Kasparov

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon in canada View Post
Jaskin hands-down for me. All he has to do is take a power skating course and voila ...a power forward. Rattie also has ( I think), more trade value. Plus we already have Schwartz in the small -but- skilled category. As much as the NHL seems to be going in that direction, I wouldn't want too many of those in my top six.
You believe the nhl is trending toward "small-but-skilled?" How do you figure?

Kasparov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 01:12 AM
Steenalizer
Elliot 4 Vezina

vCash: 915
I'll take higher end skill and scoring ability, over size and grit. We need players like Rattie, we have enough of Jaskin's prototype (size, with very little speed, average to below production.)

Steenalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 02:20 AM
simon in canada

L.A. Kings haven't fared too badly in the past few years relying on size and grit.

simon in canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 07:57 AM
ManyIdeas

vCash: 1152
Quote:
L.A. Kings haven't fared too badly in the past few years relying on size and grit.
they also just handed a conn smythe to someone pretty important that isnt super gritty

ManyIdeas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 11:07 AM
Chippewa

We need pure goal scoring talent. Now, neither of these two have proven much of anything at the NHL level, but honestly, I'd trade Berglund, Sobotka, Jackman, or Polak before either of them.

Ottawa wants one of them for Spezza? Fine, we'll go with Berglund for Kadri. Have fun only having one suitor for Spezza, Ottawa.

Chippewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 11:23 AM
Steenalizer
Elliot 4 Vezina

vCash: 915
Quote:
Lol yeah, no pure scorers or high end skill on that team. Chicago is full of big, slow, gritty players too, that must be why those 2 teams have won 4 of the last 5 cups.

Last edited by Steenalizer: 06-20-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Steenalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 12:57 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippewa View Post
We need pure goal scoring talent. Now, neither of these two have proven much of anything at the NHL level, but honestly, I'd trade Berglund, Sobotka, Jackman, or Polak before either of them.

Ottawa wants one of them for Spezza? Fine, we'll go with Berglund for Kadri. Have fun only having one suitor for Spezza, Ottawa.
I don't want Kadri, even for free. Also, I fail to see how the Blues are benefited by Ottawa getting a worse return for Spezza than they might have had. If he's playing for someone else, seems like it doesn't help the Blues at all.

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 01:16 PM
SirPaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippewa View Post

Rattie and Jaskin aren't going to help us score goals now, Spezza will

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 03:32 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I don't want Kadri, even for free. Also, I fail to see how the Blues are benefited by Ottawa getting a worse return for Spezza than they might have had. If he's playing for someone else, seems like it doesn't help the Blues at all.
You're seriously that against Kadri? He would improve our offense. Maybe not score at a PPG pace, but we're getting pretty damn greedy for no reason if there are people who wouldn't take Kadri for free...

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 06:50 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
You're seriously that against Kadri? He would improve our offense. Maybe not score at a PPG pace, but we're getting pretty damn greedy for no reason if there are people who wouldn't take Kadri for free...
His advanced stats show me a high talent player who doesn't know how to play the kind of hockey that would lead to success on the Blues. In 2-3 years of hard work and development he could be part of a dangerous line-up, but next year there would be too many moments when we'd be yelling at the screen (and Hitchcock would have steam coming out of his ears).

I'm willing to trade off offensive threat for less defensive prowess, but there are some fundamental things that have to be there. I just think Kadri is over-rated, high on potential and not yet ready to be a piece to be a difference-maker for the Blues. If they could get him for free, and put him on the 3rd line, I'd say go for it. But that's not the scenario we're talking about. If the Blues tried to put him with Tarasenko and Schwartz, that line would suddenly be a problem when matched up against lines like Toewes. Why make headaches like that for our team? Kadri is just not the answer to what they need presently.

(And I recognize that Spezza has some limitations with advanced stats, too, but he also has some priceless experience in the post-season and a lot longer history of what kind of player he is.)

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 08:31 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
His advanced stats show me a high talent player who doesn't know how to play the kind of hockey that would lead to success on the Blues. In 2-3 years of hard work and development he could be part of a dangerous line-up, but next year there would be too many moments when we'd be yelling at the screen (and Hitchcock would have steam coming out of his ears).

I'm willing to trade off offensive threat for less defensive prowess, but there are some fundamental things that have to be there. I just think Kadri is over-rated, high on potential and not yet ready to be a piece to be a difference-maker for the Blues. If they could get him for free, and put him on the 3rd line, I'd say go for it. But that's not the scenario we're talking about. If the Blues tried to put him with Tarasenko and Schwartz, that line would suddenly be a problem when matched up against lines like Toewes. Why make headaches like that for our team? Kadri is just not the answer to what they need presently.

(And I recognize that Spezza has some limitations with advanced stats, too, but he also has some priceless experience in the post-season and a lot longer history of what kind of player he is.)
The idea of getting Kadri for free or very little, even as a hypothetical, is absurd. I have some quibbles here and there, but I think your main point is one I can get behind: he's not THE answer. Of course he isn't. However, he could still help. I would be very hesitant to put him on a line with Schwartz and Tarasenko, too. Kadri would be an additional move or a sort of a consolation prize if things don't work out like they wish.

If they're able to get a guy like Stastny or Spezza and can still swing Kadri for the third line and possibly powerplay, I'm not against it. I know for sure that he'd make me tear my hair out a few times next season, but that is true for every forward except Steen and Schwartz, probably. Maybe Tarasenko. You can't afford numbskull moves deep in the playoffs (in the West, anyway), but you also can't get there without talent. If the Blues think he's coachable, that's all I need to know to support such a deal.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2014, 11:01 PM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steenalizer View Post
I'll take higher end skill and scoring ability, over size and grit. We need players like Rattie, we have enough of Jaskin's prototype (size, with very little speed, average to below production.)
I get what you're saying, but you're selling Jaskin a bit short. Rattie has more offensive talent, but Jaskin has a lot more offensive skills than people realize.

Vladys Gumption is online now   Reply With Quote