HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ty Rattie or Dmitri Jaskin, who should the Blues keep?

View Poll Results: Who would you rather the Blues keep?
Dmitri Jaskin 30 48.39%
Ty Rattie 32 51.61%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-22-2014, 11:41 AM
BrokenFace

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
His advanced stats show me a high talent player who doesn't know how to play the kind of hockey that would lead to success on the Blues. In 2-3 years of hard work and development he could be part of a dangerous line-up, but next year there would be too many moments when we'd be yelling at the screen (and Hitchcock would have steam coming out of his ears).

I'm willing to trade off offensive threat for less defensive prowess, but there are some fundamental things that have to be there. I just think Kadri is over-rated, high on potential and not yet ready to be a piece to be a difference-maker for the Blues. If they could get him for free, and put him on the 3rd line, I'd say go for it. But that's not the scenario we're talking about. If the Blues tried to put him with Tarasenko and Schwartz, that line would suddenly be a problem when matched up against lines like Toewes. Why make headaches like that for our team? Kadri is just not the answer to what they need presently.

(And I recognize that Spezza has some limitations with advanced stats, too, but he also has some priceless experience in the post-season and a lot longer history of what kind of player he is.)
Kadri may not play a great 2way game right now, but he's more talented than all of our centers except Backes (at least to me). Passing up on players who would upgrade your overall talent pool is never a good idea. The Blues don't have to win the cup next year. Kadri would make them a better contender for years to come.

BrokenFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 12:47 PM
SweetyV

In Kadri's first full two years, he's scored 44 points in 48 games (75 point pace) and 50 points. I'd say he's already more offensively talented than Backes.

The whole defence first thing clearly isn't working for us. It's time to switch it up just a little bit.

SweetyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 03:20 PM
Dr Robot

Kadri puts up points but is pretty poor defensively. If you throw out the lockout season which was a statistical anomaly for a lot of players then hes a poor defensive player whos put up 50 points on the loldefense leafs. He would be a repeat of Perron at center. If he was our second line center and we were forced to play him it would cause issues with the system and if he was our third line center I can see hitch cutting his minutes short when we were holding a 1 goal lead which is all the time. I see Kadri the same way I see Gagner but without the injuries.

Dr Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 05:54 PM
BlueDream

Kadri is only 23 years old, he's still developing as a player. His offensive ceiling is much higher than 50 points. He'd hit at least 60 with Schwartz and Tarasenko.

And with that said he'd be able to get better defensively too.

He'd be a good pickup.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 05:58 PM
HockeyGuy73

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetyV View Post
In Kadri's first full two years, he's scored 44 points in 48 games (75 point pace) and 50 points. I'd say he's already more offensively talented than Backes.

The whole defence first thing clearly isn't working for us. It's time to switch it up just a little bit.
I agree, but I dont see that happening as long as Hitch is behind the bench. Good news is, I think there is a reason he is signed to just a 1 year deal.

HockeyGuy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 06:11 PM
BluesBoy71

vCash: 585
I say Jaskin. I see more offensive upside in him than Rattie.

BluesBoy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2014, 06:34 PM
67Blues

I don't want to see the Blues empty the cupboard with the thought that this year is their year. Let's face it, the odds of the Blues winning with your #1 goaltender being basically a rookie, or trying to ride Ells is pretty slim. I view this coming year as an evaluation year on several players for decisions of what to do towards a future direction. We've got such a thin pipeline, I'd hate to see it wasted on 1 year rentals and "Roy part deux" type players.

Even though it costs a bloody fortune for my tickets down there, I'd rather see some of the kids get a chance to see if they are really NHL players or not. We aren't going to tank and get a top 5 pick next year (although Buffalo would cheer for that), but it just feels like we have too many unknowns and holes right now and the competition in the West is way too tough for the Blues to just go all in again. Yeah, the whole Miller screw job is probably jading my view, but it is what it is.

67Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 01:36 PM
STL fan in IA

The way I see Rattie and Jaskin is that I feel Rattie has a little higher upside but I see Jaskin as a safer projection. I think Rattie's sniping abilities are harder to find so I would keep Rattie over Jaskin by the slimmest of margins. I don't want to lose either though...but you have to give to get and neither Rattie or Jaskin are good enough IMO to be labeled as untouchable.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2014, 05:45 PM
TimtheDJ84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Blues View Post
I don't want to see the Blues empty the cupboard with the thought that this year is their year. Let's face it, the odds of the Blues winning with your #1 goaltender being basically a rookie, or trying to ride Ells is pretty slim. I view this coming year as an evaluation year on several players for decisions of what to do towards a future direction. We've got such a thin pipeline, I'd hate to see it wasted on 1 year rentals and "Roy part deux" type players.

Even though it costs a bloody fortune for my tickets down there, I'd rather see some of the kids get a chance to see if they are really NHL players or not. We aren't going to tank and get a top 5 pick next year (although Buffalo would cheer for that), but it just feels like we have too many unknowns and holes right now and the competition in the West is way too tough for the Blues to just go all in again. Yeah, the whole Miller screw job is probably jading my view, but it is what it is.
I completely disagree...If you can land Spezza and/or Stastny,it instantly changes your team. I'm not at all for laying off a year when the players are so good.

TimtheDJ84* is offline   Reply With Quote