HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What about Ruslan Salei?

Closed Thread

Old
09-04-2005, 11:08 PM
Hatter
All about the Bob

vCash: 500
What about Ruslan Salei?

Of course the odds of this happening are nill but I was jsut wondering if you all would be happy to have Ruslan Salei on our team? We need a top 4 dman and Burke still hasn't qualified Salei. There really aren't any other Dmen out there to be had for an offer sheet and he was set to make 1,750,000 next year before the rollback. Why not tend him an offer sheet for jsut that amount and make Burke match. It would be a win win really. Either Burke pays more out than he wanted too and has less to spend later in the season or we get a decent dman....Anyone think that he isn't worth that much?

Again, I know this will never happen but I was jsut wondering what everyone thought about the idea. And please if all you have to say is 3 words or less just qualify your answer and you make make a valid point.

Norstrom - Gleason
Miller - Salei
Lubo - Dempsey
Grebeskov/Petiot/Corvo

not bad really. Granted Boynton would be better hehe

Last edited by Hatter: 09-04-2005 at 11:16 PM.
Old
09-04-2005, 11:25 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
He's a d-man that can throw the body, and he plays somewhat dirty, I'd welcome him to the Kings. But as you said, it'll never happen.

Old
09-04-2005, 11:32 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

If we're going to target Salei, we might as well go after Marchment.

09-04-2005, 11:34 PM
DBrown23*

Send a message via AIM to DBrown23*
i'd rather have marchement than a duck

Old
09-04-2005, 11:57 PM
funky

I agree, would make a welcome addition. I like your theory about the win win situation. I say take the gamble sign him even if we give up the pick he is a younger version of Miller. Trade Miller to Buffalo for Mckee (picks may have to be swapped) and we actual will have a Nasty defence in front of our questionable goaltending.

Old
09-04-2005, 11:58 PM
funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrown23
i'd rather have marchement than a duck
I would rather have a winning team then be silly, remember the fragile teams we have had, Salei could steamroll 98% of our team.

Old
09-05-2005, 12:13 AM
ILuvLA

I'd welcome him, but I also don' think it will ever happen.

Old
09-05-2005, 02:26 AM
danaluvsthekings

Burke's qualified Salei, otherwise he'd be an unrestricted free agent. The reason he's not signed is they're working on a long term deal.

It's not a "win-win" situation even if the Kings didn't end up with Salei after making an offer sheet. What do you think would happen next summer if you force Burke's hand by making him match the offer, spending more than he wanted, and then having to trade someone to make room for Salei? Or even if they ended up with Salei because the Ducks can't afford to match? I can tell you what would happen. Burke makes a huge offer to Dustin Brown and or Tim Gleason or another one of the Kings RFAs.

Old
09-05-2005, 06:56 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings
Burke's qualified Salei, otherwise he'd be an unrestricted free agent. The reason he's not signed is they're working on a long term deal.

It's not a "win-win" situation even if the Kings didn't end up with Salei after making an offer sheet. What do you think would happen next summer if you force Burke's hand by making him match the offer, spending more than he wanted, and then having to trade someone to make room for Salei? Or even if they ended up with Salei because the Ducks can't afford to match? I can tell you what would happen. Burke makes a huge offer to Dustin Brown and or Tim Gleason or another one of the Kings RFAs.
Burke would probaly give him to us. Not only for the draft picks, but also for the cap hit that we'd take.

Old
09-05-2005, 01:11 PM
Mxpunk

Yeah, I don't think the Ducks would trade a player of Salei's caliber to the Kings...Rather than Marchment, I'd rather have Jay McKee, who is available from the Sabres...Younger than both Marchment and Salei, and he could provide the physical presence on the blueline.

Old
09-05-2005, 02:08 PM
Hatter
All about the Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings
Link? becasue I cannot find that anywhere. Not on tsn, Not on the Ducks Official site.

Old
09-05-2005, 05:39 PM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter
Link? becasue I cannot find that anywhere. Not on tsn, Not on the Ducks Official site.
Look at TSN's team tracker. For the Ducks under RFA is Ruslan Salei.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature.asp?fid=7006

The way free agency works is teams have to issue qualifying offers by a certain date otherwise the player will become a unrestricted free agent. This year teams had between July 23 and July 31 to issue their qualifying offers to their respective players. If the player wasn't qualified by July 31 he would have been an unrestricted free agent on August 1. Since Salei is not a UFA but an RFA obviously the Ducks qualified him to keep his rights. Qualifying offers expired on Aug 15 but that doesn't make the player a UFA. All it means is that once the qualifying offer has expired, the team is free to offer whatever they wish, even if it's lower than the QO. So Salei's QO was something like $1.8 mil this summer. Burke issued him that to keep his rights. Once Aug 15 had passed and Salei hadn't accepted it, Burke can now offer Salei less than the $1.8 mil, but his rights still belong to the Ducks and they can match any offer sheets, etc.

Look at it this way, if Salei hadn't been qualified, there would be no need to sign him to an offer sheet, the Kings could just go out and sign him as an unrestricted free agent and give up no compensation for him.

Old
09-07-2005, 09:37 PM
ILuvLA

Signed 1 year deal - Quacks unable to get longer deal - looks like he will be UFA when the year is up.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=169803

Old
09-07-2005, 10:42 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvLA
Signed 1 year deal - Quacks unable to get longer deal - looks like he will be UFA when the year is up.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=169803
not necessarily,
Anaheim still really wants a long term deal and will no doubt begin negoiating again in January.

Closed Thread