HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

HNA NNJ Questions (Beginner)

Old
06-09-2014, 11:15 PM
PurpleDrankNJ

vCash: 500
HNA NNJ Questions (Beginner)

Hi, I recently searched the forum and found some old threads on the HNA. A lot of people said it was pricey and others said it was well worth it and run pretty well.
I was hoping to get some fresh opinions on how it is these days. I am looking to play with a friend in a beginner program 8 weeks practice and 8 weeks playing that they run. Anyone have any experience with this? We both can skate mediocre (Basic forward and some slow stopping) at this point and are looking to practice and go into the winter session.

Located in Jersey City and we are 24 trying to make our hockey debut.

Thanks any info or suggestions is appreciated.

PurpleDrankNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2014, 02:35 PM
OpenIceHit42

I am going into my 4th year with HNA in St. Louis and it’s an absolute blast. I can’t really speak for the beginner school/teams because I jumped in a B3 division and currently play A1/B3.

That being said, it’s $425 for 20 games + playoffs if you make it. My B team jerseys cost me around $200 brand new, when I joined the A team two years ago I bought a pair of jerseys off a guy who was leaving and had the name changed for around $80 total. If you win your division or finish 2nd (not sure if that’s how it’s determined in other cities) you’re invited to nationals which is in Toronto. Also, if you supervise/scorekeep games you earn credits which can be deducted off your league fee the following season. Last year between two teams I only paid $320 after my supervisor credits were deducted. The league also does a payment plan, you make a payment of $140 (just using that as an example), 30 days later another payment of $140 and 30 days after that another $140. So they do work with you to make the cost not so much up front.

I’ve been to Toronto twice in the last 2 years (1 championship win, 1-2nd place finish) and a championship win in Chicago last year. My team is going to nationals in Toronto again this weekend for the fourth year in a row but unfortunately I won’t be joining them due to work.

It’s an absolute blast to be honest with you, our B3 division has pretty much had the same teams give or take a few for the past three years that I’ve been playing and rivalries do develop. Is it pricey? Yes, but it beats (in my eyes) some of the men’s leagues around here in St. Louis where teams are pretty much allowed to field a different roster each week.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2014, 10:28 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleDrankNJ View Post
Hi, I recently searched the forum and found some old threads on the HNA. A lot of people said it was pricey and others said it was well worth it and run pretty well.
I was hoping to get some fresh opinions on how it is these days. I am looking to play with a friend in a beginner program 8 weeks practice and 8 weeks playing that they run. Anyone have any experience with this? We both can skate mediocre (Basic forward and some slow stopping) at this point and are looking to practice and go into the winter session.

Located in Jersey City and we are 24 trying to make our hockey debut.

Thanks any info or suggestions is appreciated.
can't give any input on hna, but another program to look into is the adult instructional league/program at floyd hall in little falls, only 20 min or so away: http://www.floydhallarena.com/adultinstruction.asp

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2014, 12:25 PM
elmariachi227

I am in an HNA league, and this fall should be the start of my second full year.

Personally I think the Beginner's school was indispensable. The seasons feel nice and long.

Yes, it is expensive. From what I hear more expensive than any other league around here. Also, you have to buy jerseys. Just the dark jersey for the exhibition season. For your first full season, you'll need the white jersey as well.

Is it worth it?

HNA is the only hockey I know. I don't have any other experiences with any other league. Only hearsay. From what I have heard: there are some really trash leagues out there and it has gotten so bad that a team or two has looked into joining HNA.

So, obviously I'm not an impartial judge.

I'll tell you what really helps though: You need a good captain. If your division has at least one other good captain, then you're probably going to have a great time.

Here's what you should expect:

Expect your team to not do well at all. Measure your performance in terms of improvement from the previous game/season. Is the team skating better? Making better passes? Better decisions? Hey, you may not have the most gifted athletes on your team but whatever, this is beer league.

Expect to lose players. Some won't make it through the School, others will drop off before the next season or later for life changes.

Expect to gain players. Because you may need an extra dude or two on the bench, or you're losing players, or want a better player or two: everyone on the team is gonna have to put it upon themselves to network and get more players.

You're 24? Expect to be the youngest player(s) on the team. Most people in our division/league are 30+ and have families. The common thing they all say is that they always wanted to play, and finally have the chance... or... their kids are already playing and they wanted to pick it up too. I can't tell you how many times guys on my team are talking to guys from other teams about their kids playing. So, they may be in a different part of their life when they start than you. It won't be a problem at all, just something to expect. What you will definitely hear from those 30+ year-olds next year is how much they wish they would have started it at your age.

elmariachi227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 04:09 PM
PurpleDrankNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi227 View Post
I am in an HNA league, and this fall should be the start of my second full year.

Personally I think the Beginner's school was indispensable. The seasons feel nice and long.

Yes, it is expensive. From what I hear more expensive than any other league around here. Also, you have to buy jerseys. Just the dark jersey for the exhibition season. For your first full season, you'll need the white jersey as well.

Is it worth it?

HNA is the only hockey I know. I don't have any other experiences with any other league. Only hearsay. From what I have heard: there are some really trash leagues out there and it has gotten so bad that a team or two has looked into joining HNA.

So, obviously I'm not an impartial judge.

I'll tell you what really helps though: You need a good captain. If your division has at least one other good captain, then you're probably going to have a great time.

Here's what you should expect:

Expect your team to not do well at all. Measure your performance in terms of improvement from the previous game/season. Is the team skating better? Making better passes? Better decisions? Hey, you may not have the most gifted athletes on your team but whatever, this is beer league.

Expect to lose players. Some won't make it through the School, others will drop off before the next season or later for life changes.

Expect to gain players. Because you may need an extra dude or two on the bench, or you're losing players, or want a better player or two: everyone on the team is gonna have to put it upon themselves to network and get more players.

You're 24? Expect to be the youngest player(s) on the team. Most people in our division/league are 30+ and have families. The common thing they all say is that they always wanted to play, and finally have the chance... or... their kids are already playing and they wanted to pick it up too. I can't tell you how many times guys on my team are talking to guys from other teams about their kids playing. So, they may be in a different part of their life when they start than you. It won't be a problem at all, just something to expect. What you will definitely hear from those 30+ year-olds next year is how much they wish they would have started it at your age.

Thank you! That was extremely helpful and I can't wait till it starts up for the winter.

PurpleDrankNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2014, 04:34 PM
Malarowski

Just FYI, they run AMAZING clinics out of Morristown over the summer. Started last week.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote